Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ligue Un Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The president of the French football club that lost its new female manager just hours before a first training session, blamed it on her being a woman on Tuesday.

In an astonishing response that will spark accusations of sexism, Claude Michy, president of the second division Clermont Foot 63, said: “She’s a woman so it could be down to any number of things …”

The Portuguese-born Helena Costa, 36, who became the first female coach of a French professional men’s team, had refused to say why she was walking out on the club at a press conference on Tuesday.

Immediately after she left the room, however, Michy’s declarations took a different tone. He insisted the reason for Costa’s decision was a mystery.

“It’s an astonishing, irrational and incomprehensible decision. She’s developed a confidence problem, but I don’t know what it was that caused this,” he told journalists.

“She told me quite simply: ‘I’m going,’ and we didn’t succeed in making her change her mind. She’s taking her secret with her.”

The appointment of Costa last month was seen as a watershed in the macho world of football. She was previously the coach of the Iranian women’s team and was nicknamed “Mourinho in a skirt”, after a period of work experience at Chelsea when her compatriot José Mourinho was manager.

Costa announced she was resigning and decided to return to Portugal on Monday. She was due to oversee the team’s first training session on Tuesday.

“Until now I’ve totally honoured by commitments, but after a discussion with the president, I’ve decided to leave. It’s my own decision,” she said.

1 step forward 2 steps back for women in football.

I wonder why she suddenly decided that she didn't want to work for him? :rolleyes:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bastia striker Brandao has been handed a six-month ban for his headbutt on Paris St Germain's Thiago Motta, the Ligue de Football Professionnel has announced.

Footage emerged of a clash between the two players in the tunnel shortly after PSG's 2-0 win at the Parc des Princes on August 16.

The video showed the veteran striker - in his debut season with the Corsican club - appearing to headbutt his opponent, an incident which left Motta with a broken nose.

PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi called straight away for Brandao to be banned for life and the LFP's Disciplinary Committee provisionally suspended the 34-year-old until September 18 pending a full hearing.

That hearing has resulted in the former St Etienne forward being handed a six-month suspension, meaning he will not be able to play until February 22 next year.

A statement read: "After hearing players Thiago Motta and Brandao accompanied by representatives of both clubs, the Commission imposes a six-month suspension on Brandao for his actions towards Thiago Motta.

"Brandao will be qualified to play again from February 22, 2015."

Brandao will now miss Bastia's next 21 Ligue 1 matches after making just two appearances for the club following his summer switch from the Stade Geoffroy-Guichard.

Surprised the club didn't sack him

In France they do bans properly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Abou Diaby, the former Arsenal midfielder, has agreed a deal in principle to join Marseille and is set to reject an approach from West Bromwich Albion.

Diaby, 29, was released by Arsenal at the end of last season having spent nine injury-plagued seasons in north London. West Bromwich’s head coach Tony Pulis revealed last week that he had offered the former Auxerre and France player the opportunity to remain in the Premier League and was hopeful of completing a deal.

However, a statement on the Marseille website on Tuesday confirmed that they have reached an agreement in principle to sign Diaby, although there were no details over the length of his contract.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Seen the league table?

Monaco in 2nd are closer to relegation than to 1st.

1st PSG 57pts
2nd Monaco 36 pts
19th Toulouse 20pts

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yep PSG goal difference is something like +50 as well

It's become a pointless league they need to sort it out as no one will ever be able to compete with PSG

For what it's worth I think they'd probably with the premier league this season pretty comfortably they've got such a good squad now they've spent the cash much better than City have imo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:57 am 
Major General
Major General

Im pretty sure i haven`t won the league (PES16) with this margin ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Emmanuel Adebayor has hit out at French club Lyon and accused them of a “ridiculous excuse” for deciding not to sign him.

The Ligue 1 club had been considering a move for the 32-year-old free agent and Adebayor met with Bruno Genesio on Friday, after the coach’s pre-match press conference in which he said the striker “could indeed” sign, only to then pull out of any deal because of the veteran forward’s participation in the Africa Cup of Nations with Togo and his ineligibility for the Champions League.

The former Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur striker has hit back and told L’Equipe: “They said that? That’s nonsense. They came to me after we had qualified [for the Africa Cup of Nations].

“They knew I was going to play. If they start looking for such excuses, they will kill themselves. I’m the captain of my country, so how could I not go? What if a Frenchman refused to play in the Euros?”

Adebayor told the newspaper that terms had been agreed on Tuesday. “I arrived on Friday morning to speak to the coach,” he added. “I thought it was just a medical then to sign. The coach asked me surprising questions. He wanted to know if I was married, if I had a kid.

“I’ve been playing at the highest level for 15 years and I have worked with some of the best coaches in the world – Arsène Wenger, José Mourinho, Didier Deschamps, Roberto Mancini. He asked me why it didn’t work at Crystal Palace. I told him that I’ve always played for teams aiming for the English title or a European title. It’s the first time I’ve been in a team battling relegation and the play didn’t suit me.

“I think the Champions League win against [Dinamo] Zagreb changed things. There’s a little disappointment obviously because I really liked Lyon, like I said to the coach. If they didn’t want me, why did they make a ridiculous excuse? But I’m stronger than that in my head. I could have died in 2010 so nothing can touch me today. I will move on to something else, even if this was a really funny chapter.”

Adebayor began his senior career in Ligue 1 with Metz and Monaco before spending a decade in the Premier League with Arsenal, Manchester City, Tottenham and Crystal Palace. While at City, he spent the second half of the 2010-11 season on loan at Real Madrid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:30 am 
Major General
Major General

:haha: :haha: When time strikes back

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Alexandre Lacazette has put Premier League clubs on red alert after admitting he wants to leave Lyon in the summer.

Lacazette, who only recently signed a new four-year deal at the Parc Olympique Lyonnais, has attracted interest from a number of clubs across Europe.

Arsenal saw a bid in the region of £30m rejected in the summer before the Lyon president claimed in August that they had snubbed a £42.7m offer from West Ham.

The French club are thought to value Lacazette at £40m and could be open to an offers if clubs are willing to meet this valuation.

In January Lacazette told the Daily Telegraph that the Premier League is "very attractive" and his latest comments suggest a move could be on the cards.

"I think it's come, the right moment," he told Canal+.

"I think that this summer will be the time where I will need a change of scenery and discover something else, still with the idea of advancing and progressing in terms of football and as a person.

"I am going to continue to work, in the hope that good opportunities will come this summer."

After scoring 21 goals in Ligue 1 last season, the striker has already bagged 18 this campaign as Lyon lie in fourth place.

Be interesting to see who goes for him as I can't see any of the top 6 looking to take him as a first choice and £40m is a lot to spend on a backup striker as he's going to want good wages as well.

I guess the middle tiers clubs can now afford those sort of transfer fees & wages but would Everton, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke, WBA want to spend that?