AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: München Bünchen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Just heard something that apparently the deal for Lewendowski including all the agent fees etc will cost Bayern Munich 80m euro's.

Talk about getting the guy on the cheap :laugh:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:37 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
Just heard something that apparently the deal for Lewendowski including all the agent fees etc will cost Bayern Munich 80m euro's.

Talk about getting the guy on the cheap :laugh:

That's got to include the fellas contract cost too, surely?

I mean if he's on €100K - €150K a week nett then Bayern are picking up the Tax bill (large), they would have paid a healthy signing on fee, and then the agents fees. So €80M seems reasonable. However if that is literally the cost to sign with no wages, then :doh:

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

No that's the all in cost so assuming he stays for the full 5 years of his contract apparently it will cost Bayern 80m euros in total so that includes his wages and any signing fees including agent fees I would also assume that figure is based on his gross wages ie what Bayern will have to pay him including tax as a net wage of 150k a week over 5 years would be 39m euro. That leaves way to much up in the air and considering they are paying no transfer fee it would be pretty safe to assume that the 80m euro is the total spend.

I'd love it if like NFL clubs had to reveal the true cost of transfers ie the fee and also the player contracts I think fans deserve to know this information and to be fair at Utd under the Plc they were pretty transparent in terms of the transfer deals but not anymore. Clubs who belong to fans like Bayern or Barca/Madrid should be revealing these figures as well.

Not sure it would bother the players that much as everyone knows they earn an absolute mint but it would stop people speculating on how ridiculous the sums are as Rooney for example is reported to earn between £180-250k a week depending on the reports I saw when he got his new contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bayern Munich will offer their fans cheaper tickets for the Champions League trip to Arsenal next month.

Champions Bayern said their fans would pay 45 euros (£37), rather than the 75 euros (£62) charged by the Gunners for the last-16 first leg tie.

"This is intended to represent a small thank you for the great support of the followers in the past calendar year 2013," said Bayern.

The club added the move will cost them around 90,000 euros (£74,000).

Ticket prices charged by Bundesliga clubs are cheaper than those in the Premier League.

Bayern charge home fans between 15 euros (£12) for a standing place and 70 euros (£58) for the most expensive seats at home matches in the Bundesliga, while tickets for the home leg of their Champions League tie against Arsenal on 19 February range from 35 euros (£29) to 100 euros (£82).

The German giants added: "Bayern has thrilled the world of European football not only by the outstanding performance and consistency of its team, but also by the fantastic and vocal support of its fans.

"It's particularly noteworthy that a large number of Bayern fans support the team not only at the high points but also at every away game.

"It should be clear to everyone that this loyalty involves a great deal of time and expense. Bayern have therefore decided to subsidise the tickets for the away game at Arsenal."

Yeah aren't Bayern Munich evil!!!!

Wouldn't it be nice if English clubs treated fans with the same sort of respect and didn't charge such ridiculous prices in the first place

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:24 am 
Major General
Major General

lovely gesture :hmm:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:31 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
£90k is nothing really is it to a football club of that size, it's a week wages of one player for quite a lot of teams.

They just do things the right way, something so simple, but there wouldn't be many other clubs that would even sniff at the idea.

Germans >

:cool:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They had one of the Bayern board members on the TV over the summer basically saying that they could put up a season ticket by £100 is they wanted to but they don't it might bring in an extra £3-4m in revenue (as not every ticket in the ground is cheap) but in the wider scheme of things it doesn't really make that much difference to a club the size of Bayern.

Utd have 60,000 season ticket holders at Old Trafford if you took £50 off the price of each season ticket you're talking £3m a year reduction in revenue for a company that is projecting revenue of over £400m this year that is 0.75% of turnover. Now who needs that money more the football club or the average fan who's probably having problems justifying spending that money every year.

The Germans have it right every fan has the right to watch his team play so they have a structure that includes everyone those who can afford to but expensive seats on the half way line pay a little more those who can't pay less.

All the expensive ticket prices in the PL show is the ridiculous inefficiencies English sides have when it comes to spending as no one is actually making any money out of owning a football clubs you're doing well just to break even these days. They try and justify it by saying well if you want the best you have to pay the prices but surely that can't be justified by pricing people out of going to the games.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Marco Reus: "I wish luck to Lewandowski and Götze, but Bayern Munich will never sign me. Money is not everything."

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

Join united instead :)

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos reiterated that he is 'very happy' at the club, but admits he is still yet to agree a new contract.

The 24-year-old Germany international midfielder is a key figure for both Munich and Germany, but his club future has been the subject of speculation in recent months after talks over a new deal stalled.

Kroos's current contract runs to 2015, and he insists there is nothing to worry about, but with Manchester United strongly linked and David Moyes making personal checks on him, reports continue to suggest that he could leave the Allianz Arena this summer.

But the player has taken to his own Facebook page to reiterate his situation at the club.

His statement read: "Hey folks, there has been much said on my future in the game in the last few days. There were many rumours.

"But you should not believe in every report from some newspaper. It's a fact I am very happy playing for Bayern.

"My sporting situation as a first-team regular is very good! It's also a fact we were unable to agree a new deal right now.

"My current contract is to be valid until 2015, so this is not the very big problem. We will see what the future is like. My full focus is on the sporting aspect.

"Though I want us to finish this season as successful as we finished last season!"

I can't see him not signing a new deal at Bayern he obviously wants to stay with them but he just wants a better salary that reflects his importance to the team and given the fact that he plays nearly every game and Pep seems to like him they'll probably reach an agreement.

The bit in bold for me suggests that he is keen to get the deal done and really it's just a case of any negotiation of finding a deal that is acceptable to both parties.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Franck Ribery could face a race against time to be fit for the first leg of Bayern Munich's Champions League tie with Arsenal after undergoing buttock surgery.

Bayern announced the France winger would definitely miss Saturday's Bundesliga clash with Nurnberg after having a "minor operation" to repair a burst blood vessel in his buttock.

The club said in a statement on their official website that surgery became necessary at short notice because bruising associated with the damage was affecting a nerve.

Ribery, Bayern's most influential player who made the three-man shortlist for the Ballon D'Or, will remain in hospital until Sunday and will undergo a post-operative examination the following day.

It is not yet known how exactly long the player will be out for.

"I hope he can train with us again as soon as possible," Pep Guardiola said.

Arsenal face defending champions Bayern in the first leg of their last 16 tie in London on February 19.

Devestating news I mean they'll probably have to play Gotze or Shaqiri on the wing now! :p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Philipp Lahm has warned Toni Kroos off a move away from Bayern Munich, claiming there is no way of stepping up.

Lahm considers Bayern, who landed an historic Treble last season, to be the best side in world football at the present time.

As the current holders of the Bundesliga, German Cup and UEFA Champions League crowns, it is difficult to argue against him - especially as they now have former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola at their helm.

There will, however, always be the temptation to move on for any player who feels undervalued.

Kroos has not figured as prominently as he would have liked this season and was strongly linked with a switch to Manchester United during the January transfer window.

No deal was struck, but the Red Devils are expected to step up their interest once a summer rebuilding project is put in motion.

Lahm appreciates that such talk will inevitably turn heads, but he has urged Kroos to consider all of his options before making a big career call.

The Germany international told Sport Bild: "It is normal that one explores their position and negotiate.

"But if you currently play for Bayern there are few alternatives, if any.

"It is, in my eyes, an absolute privilege to play here because the team simply has the mentality to win.

"Many players want to come to Bavaria, so you have to think carefully about whether you leave a club like this at the moment."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

5 ways Pep has improved Bayern.

Quote:
1 He keeps his opponents guessing

Under Louis van Gaal, the godfather of Bayern's possession game and Jupp Heynckes, his more pragmatic and tactically refined successor, it was easy to predict Bayern's lineups. They always formed-up in a 4-2-3-1, changes were always injury-enforced, and both coaches would simply try to find replacements that would most closely resemble the properties of the missing regulars. Under Guardiola, that kind of certainty has largely gone out of the window. Only the back-four are settled. Philipp Lahm's transformation into a holding midfielder seems to have become permanent but it's still possible that the captain will find himself back in the right-back role later this season. Javier Martínez, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thiago Alcântara and Toni Kroos are all vying for places in midfield and have been used in different roles. Further upfield, the injured Franck Ribéry and Arjen Robben have remained untouchable, but the two central attacking slots are being changed every game, in accordance with the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

2. Continuous innovation through micro-management

Guardiola's football philosophy is based on dominating possession, creating a constant numerical advantage in midfield and aggressive pressing. The 43-year-old has not been afraid to deviate from his principles when necessary. In the 3-0 win at Borussia Dortmund in November he ordered his centre-backs to play long balls out of defence to escape Borussia's high-pressing. Martínez, the team's ball-winner, was stationed high up behind the striker Mario Mandzukic to win the headers and to put pressure on the opposition's midfield. This destructive ploy worked well and both Dortmund's and Bayern's passing rhythm was thoroughly disrupted. Guardiola reverted to a "false nine" system midway through the second half, to exploit the spaces that were beginning to open up.

Smaller and more subtle tweaks are constantly being employed before and during matches. Xavier Sala-i-Martín, a professor of economics and a former Barcelona treasurer, has compared Guardiola's "continuous innovation" to the highly-flexible production process of Spanish retailer Zara. Zara's collections are more expensive to produce than those of rival chains but change much more frequently, in line with trends or micro-trends. Both Zara's and Bayern's output is still defined by a grand framework but within that, flexibility is just as important: employing the appropriate micro-tactics for any given situation takes precedent over dogma.

3 Shows no fear when mixing-up play

Last season, Heynckes had one move that he would repeat again and again. As soon as Bayern were in front in a big match, Luiz Gustavo would come on as a second holding midfielder in place of the central midfielder, with Schweinsteiger moving up into the vacated No10 position. There was no need to come up with any different ideas because this one worked beautifully, all the way to the Champions League win at Wembley.

Guardiola, like Van Gaal before him, is much more radical and pro-active on the touchline. He frequently changes players, positions and formations in the middle of a match if he feels that the opposition has found a way to deal with the initial plan. Lahm ended up playing four different positions in the 4-1 win against Mainz. Guardiola's interventionism often impacts negatively on the flow of Bayern's football – too many changes can make them disjointed – but they tend to get the job done.

4 Has reshaped the attack to offer three options

Providing Guardiola with a midfielder who could play as a withdrawn striker through the middle cost Bayern €37m (£30.3m) and a lot of goodwill from neutrals, who felt the move was both vindictive towards Dortmund as well as a bit of overkill. With time, it has become apparent why the Catalan wanted Mario Götze (or a Götze-type player): playing the 21-year-old instead of an orthodox striker has made it much easier for the treble winners to break down negative opponents who defend in a "medium-to-low block" (as André Villas-Boas would have it) near their own penalty box. Götze can dribble past players or go wide to overload areas occupied by the wingers, and he helps Bayern control the tempo and the ball by falling deep, as well.

In addition, Guardiola has fielded Thomas Müller, initially a striker who was converted into a free-roaming or wide midfielder, in the Götze role, most successfully in the 3-1 win at Manchester City. Müller, hard to define at the best of times, has interpreted the role slightly more like a forward, in terms of positioning; as a slightly less false nine, if you will. The Peru veteran Claudio Pizarro would also fit that bill, owing to this propensity to go deep and join up with the buildup play. As a result, there are three different ways in which the sharp end of Bayern's attack can take shape.

5 Makes the most out of weaknesses

Bayern are a little lop-sided in the wide defensive positions. David Alaba, who plays in midfield for Austria, is fast, technically proficient and phenomenal. Rafinha, his Brazilian counterpart, on the other hand, is solid rather than spectacular and often looks like the team's weak link. Guardiola came up with an idea that would play to their respective strengths and their weaknesses: he ordered them up the pitch but infield, closer to the centre-circle than to the touchline. In possession, Bayern had even more options in the centre of the pitch. Opposition wingers were unsure whether to move inside too or to protect the space in front of their full-backs. More possession – and specifically more central possession – has brought out the best in Alaba but also reduced the risk of Rafinha being isolated on the right. In recent games, the full-backs were playing in a more orthodox fashion again but it proved a very useful ploy in the first half of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pep Guardiola has warned his rivals Bayern Munich can only get better as they prepare for the latest challenge to their Champions League defence.

The Bayern manager's frightening assessment comes hours before he attempts to break new ground personally by winning at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium in the first leg of the clubs' last-16 tie.

Guardiola has lost just twice since inheriting the European champions from Jupp Heynckes in the summer - and those defeats came in the pre-season German Super Cup and in a Champions League dead rubber with Manchester City.

The City defeat is the only blot on Bayern's copybook in 21 games, and they left for north London with a 16-point lead in the Bundesliga.

Guardiola - Extended interview

But, in an extended interview with Sky Sports ahead of the Arsenal game, Guardiola told Geoff Shreeves he is only just getting started in Bavaria.

He said: "We've played five, six, seven games at a huge, huge level in six or seven months.

"Regularly we play okay for three minutes, 20 minutes, but not consistently. That's normal. We change little things and ideas, and I need time.

"During the process it's important to win because you get more time to work. When you don't win, you know it's more difficult to change quickly.

"We are in a good position, but I'm still in a period where I'm getting to know the players, and the players me. I feel we are still in a process of getting better."

Guardiola's Barcelona teams twice dazzled the Emirates with stunning first-half performances in the Champions League knockout only to leave without victory, once drawing 2-2 and, in February 2011, losing to a late Andrey Arshavin goal.

The Spaniard is wary of a repeat, despite Bayern's 3-1 win there last season, and he said: "You can't dominate Arsenal for 90 minutes.

"You can play better for a time, and we're going to try it for as long a time as possible, but always Arsenal have maybe three minutes, one half, 75 minutes where they are special."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Franz Beckenbauer has warned Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos not to hold the club to ransom following reports linking him with a big-money move to Manchester United.

Reports in the British media on Monday morning suggested United are prepared to pay the Germany international £250,000 a week if he moves to Old Trafford.

Kroos would treble his wages if he moved to United, who would reportedly be prepared to pay the German giants £30m for his services.

The midfielder's contract ends in June next year but Bayern have as yet been unable to agree a new deal with the 24-year-old.

Bayern's honorary president Beckenbauer told Sky Germany: "He shouldn't raise the stakes too high.

"Bayern will make an effort to keep him, but when the demands are too high, a decision will be made.

"There is no player who you have to give everything to keep. Everyone is replaceable."

Bayern's director of sport Matthias Sammer says the European champions are keen to keep the attacking midfielder.

"We know that he is a very good player and we want to continue with Kroos," said Sammer. "Everyone at the club sees it that way."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos has confirmed that neither he nor the club are in any rush to agree on a new deal.

The 24-year-old's current contract with the German and European champions runs out in June 2015 and there have been reports that he could be convinced to move to Manchester United in the summer.

Kroos and Bayern have been in negotiations over a fresh deal for a while, but the Bavarian giants are reportedly refusing to meet his wage demands.

However, the midfielder has insisted that he is in no hurry to sign on the dotted line and dismissed suggestions that there is a deadline to the discussions.

"We have focused on signing a new deal for some time," the Germany international told Kicker-Sportmagazin. "However, we did not reach an agreement in January.

"I want to fully focus on the 2014 World Cup. I do not want to discuss contracts during the tournament.

"There is no deadline for my future to be sorted."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Bayern Munich midfielder Toni Kroos has revealed that a move to the Premier League is a possibility this summer.

The 24-year-old Germany international is one of the hottest properties in Europe and has yet to sign a new contract with Bayern.

His current deal expires in the summer of 2015 and he has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United.

And, speaking ahead of the second leg of Bayern's UEFA Champions League last-16 tie against Arsenal on Tuesday, Kroos suggested he could be tempted by a move to Old Trafford.

"Nothing has been decided about my future," he said. "It's no secret the Premier League is an option for me.

"No one has come to any agreement and it will stay like this until the summer.

"I think that anything is possible for me if I leave. I have to think about this for myself, and make the right decision.

"I've heard that people have written that I might go to England. But there's nothing new from my point of view.

"The situation is that I don't have any agreement right at the moment [at Bayern]. On the other side there is no agreement in place anywhere."

United may miss out on a Champions League place this season but Kroos said that would not lead to him automatically discounting the club as a possible destination.

"I will consider everything," he said. "If I should leave."

There is speculation in Germany that Kroos is simply angling for an improved deal from Bayern.

And Bayern boss Pep Guardiola was quick to stress that he is keen for the player to remain where he is.

"Toni is a great talent, a good, good player. He's young. He can be better and better. He can improve," Guardiola said.

"I said to him you have time to become an even better player. I hope he maintains his form this season - and for more seasons at this club."

Kroos already has 42 Germany caps and has been a key man for the all-conquering Bayern side this season, scoring in the 2-0 first-leg win at Arsenal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A German court has sentenced Uli Hoeness, president of European football champions Bayern Munich, to three years and six months in jail for tax evasion.

He admitted defrauding German tax authorities of millions of euros.

The former World Cup-winning Germany striker, 62, had kept the funds in a secret Swiss bank account.

His lawyer had argued he should escape punishment because he gave himself up. But judges ruled his confession fell short of full disclosure.

The court in the southern city of Munich found Hoeness guilty of "seven serious counts of tax evasion".

The defence and prosecution now have a week to appeal the sentence. Prosecutors had called for a term of five years and six months.

He was initially charged with evading 3.5m euros (£2.9m; $4.9m) in taxes but he then admitted to dodging another 15m euros. It finally emerged in court that he owed a total of 27.2m euros.

Hoeness, who helped Germany win the 1972 European Championship and then the World Cup two years later, came clean about his secret bank account last year, filing an amended tax return in the hope of an amnesty in return for paying the tax he owed.

But prosecutors said he did so because investigators were already pursuing his case.

The case has been described as one of the most spectacular of the year by the German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

Despite the tax evasion scandal, Mr Hoeness remains a very popular figure at the club he helped build up.

He offered his resignation at last year's annual meeting but was backed by the supporters and the club's board.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The game for "Ulrich H" is not quite over. The official court documents and orientation signs for the trial observers in Munich's Justizpalast court house had persisted with the charade of granting anonymity to the accused until the very end. But in the immediate aftermath on Thursday afternoon of Rupert Heindl sentencing the Bayern Munich president to three years and six months in prison, it became clear that an end to this, the most spectacular tax evasion case in the history of the Federal Republic, was still a few months away.

Uli Hoeness's defence lawyer Hanns Feigen announced that he would appeal against the verdict. The federal court (BGH) will have to decide the matter in a few months. The key issue is whether Hoeness's voluntary disclosure of his tax evasion to the authorities in January 2013 was indeed voluntary and sufficient enough to preclude criminal sanctions. Heindl didn't think so.

Advertisement

The bank account statements and transaction details provided by Hoeness did not make for a valid disclosure, said the judge. The sheer scale of the 62-year-old's tax evasion – Hoeness had failed to pay €28.5m in taxes on interest and capital gains from a secret Swiss account – made a jail sentence appropriate, explained Heindl.

The former West Germany international and 1974 World Cup winner will not be jailed until the appeal court has heard the case. Even if Heindl's verdict is upheld, legal experts believe Hoeness is only likely to serve half the sentence. He might even be allowed regular day leave. There's neither a risk of repeat offending nor a one of flight. He's got nowhere to go.

Outside the Justizpalast, a crowd of roughly 500 Bayern supporters received the verdict with incredulity. Their cheers of support had been so loud on Thursday that they had been audible inside room 134, where the case was heard. "I'm in total shock, I can't believe it," one fan told the TV reporters, while another one held up a "Free Uli" banners.

Advertisement

Such an outcome had been on the cards for more than a year but Hoeness's stature in Munich and beyond was such that friend and foe believed he might find a way to get away with it. As the websites of Bayern Munich and Suddeutsche Zeitung (the Munich-based broadsheet) temporarily broke down due to the spike in traffic, and politicians praised the verdict, reactions from within German football predominantly spoke of sadness.

"We are surprised about the dimension of this case," said the German FA's president, Wolfgang Niersbach. "I feel so sorry for Uli," said Eintracht Frankfurt's chairman, Heribert Bruchhagen.

A majority of Bayern's 223,000 club members probably still want Hoeness to stay in power, even now. First as general manager and then as president, he has established Bayern as Germany's wealthiest and most successful club in his 35 years at the reins. He was awarded standing ovations at a tearful AGM in November.

Bayern are often described as one big family, and Hoeness did indeed rule like a patriarch. He brought in former players into key positions and discreetly looked after those who had fallen on hard times, such as Gerd Müller. Germany's most successful striker was suffering from alcoholism before Hoeness employed him as a youth coach.

In the rest of country, where Bayern have plenty of fans but even more detractors, they could scarcely believe their eyes. "Mia san Mia, the club's Bavarian motto, translates as 'We are who we are'," commented Suddeutsche. "In reality, this translates as 'We don't care what you think'."

Unfortunately for Hoeness, neither the undying support of Die Roten faithful nor his past deeds will spare him an ignominious end to his presidency. He is "Mr Bayern" and the club are "FC Hoeness", they've become synonymous over the last three decades. Consequently, his fall from grace has damaged the club too much.

Hoeness's perceived integrity as an independently successful businessman allowed him to take the moral high ground aggressively in many debates; his Bayern were the club who got it right, on and off the pitch. "Unlike some of our foreign competitors, we won't do crazy things," Hoeness used to say. "His role as public admonisher and supposed role model is over," wrote Frankfurter Rundschau.

The club's board met in an emergency meeting on Thursday afternoon. An official statement is not expected before Friday. The league leaders have had plenty of time to prepare for this day but the truth is no plan had been in place to deal with this eventuality. No one, not even the captains of industry from Bayern's minority shareholders (Adidas, Allianz, Audi) were prepared to ask for his resignation before the verdict was in.

Whether Hoeness ultimately escapes jail or not will not make difference any more, however. The eye-watering sums involved have made his position untenable. Hoeness placed huge leveraged bets with his Swiss banks; at times, the court heard he was investing more than €150m illicitly. The fact that he has since lost most of his fortune again didn't reduce his tax burden but has in all likelihood destroyed his credibility even more.

Hoeness, a man who had cultivated the image as a careful, considered operator has been revealed as a compulsive gambler. He gambled on the markets, and he gambled on a tax agreement between Germany and Switzerland coming into force. It would have allowed for an anonymous tax payment and freedom from prosecution but Germany's Bundesrat (federal council) stopped the bill in 2012. Hoeness lost these bets. But the loss is not just his.

There is no obvious heir in place to assume the mantle and the club are wary of a future without their leader. A Bayern without his bloody-mindedness, his business connections, his good judgment in football matters and his human touch behind the scenes are impossible to fathom. The game is over for him. But for the European champions, you sense, it's only just beginning anew.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Bayern Munich chairman, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, has rejected speculation that the club will make a summer move for the Schalke attacking midfielder Julian Draxler, a rumoured Arsenal transfer target.

There had been speculation in the German media that Bayern were planning to make a move for Draxler in the summer transfer window but Rummenigge, speaking to Die Welt am Sonntag, rubbished the rumours claiming that Draxler was not in the club's plans.

"We are not buying any player from [Borussia] Dortmund or Schalke just to hurt these clubs," he said. "We are just buying players who can give FC Bayern more quality straight away. I can rule out that we will sign Julian Draxler in the summer," he added.

Rummenigge also said that he expected the striker Mario Mandzukic to remain with the Bavarian club, despite interest from several other clubs as well as the impending arrival of Robert Lewandowski on a free transfer from Dortmund. Mandzukic leads the Bundesliga scoring charts with 17 goals so far this season; Lewandowski is behind him in second with 16 goals to his name.

"I am aware that several clubs are interested in him but I think he will stay past the end of this season," Rummenigge said. "I am noticing something by the players. They know what it means to play for Bayern and they appreciate it. They live in a beautiful city, a beautiful stadium, the best manager and the club is well known internationally."

Meanwhile in the Bundesliga, Bayern, who have drawn Manchester United in the quarter-finals of the Champions League, beat Mainz 2-0 but were forced to delay their title celebrations for another week after Dortmund took three points from their match against Hannover.

Pep Guardiola's side needed late goals from Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mario Götze to ensure that they stretched their unbeaten run in the German top flight to 51 games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next