Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PSG
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I thought they had their own thread but I couldn't find it.

They've just appointed Carlo Ancelotti has manager.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: PSG
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:13 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
A good appointment for PSG, money talks, and they've bagged themselves a good, experienced managed who should do well for them. He probably could have gone almost anywhere but the lure of big money is just too hard to resist these days it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:46 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
On the verge of signing Pato apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They are going to be a real force if they can get the people of Paris to buy into the football.

They've got a pretty much untapped capital city full of people with plenty of money their main problem is that currently those with money aren't really interested in the football. Most of the support from the football team comes from the working class areas of paris.

If they had the money to pay good wages they'd almost be able to do what Bayern do in Germany and just hoover up all the good players from the league and keep the best French players in France rather than seeing them leave for the riches of the EPL or La Liga.

I think Al Jazeera have bought the rights to a lot of the football in France as they're launching over there soon.

If they get Pato to add to Pastore it really does start to send out the right sort of message given a few seasons they could be out muscling the big boys I mean it's not going to be hard to convince people to move to Paris. I've never been but it would seem it's rather nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

The quality of the league has to be a major hurdle though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
The quality of the league has to be a major hurdle though.

Is it really that bad?

Marseille & Lyon regularly punch a decent weight in the ECL and if PSG bring in the worldwide audience with a new TV deal as long as that money is split fairly like it is in Germany & England then it should see the quality of other sides improve. You could probably argue that they've punched at a similar level to Serie A over the last few years since the whole calciopolli thing.

The french league can't be that bad just look at how many quality players not just from France but also from Africa have come through the French League before moving on to bigger leagues. What they will need to do is import names for example Joe Cole going to Lille means the English press have an interest in the French League. Pastore means in Argentina they're interested and if they get Pato suddenly Brazil are interested.

They're going to struggle to break the big club stranglehold until they start competing in Europe but if they can get some big name players suddenly the world will start watching them and young kids growing up might pick them as their team because they love Pato or Pastore.

There's a whole generation of fans in asia that Utd picked up because they were obsessed with Beckham. In the rest of the world you can support a team from every country and most fans outside of the big European nations actually watch football from more than 1 league.

Take our own MMFY he supports Utd, Milan & Real Madrid (no idea in what order) but there's no reason why in 5-10 years PSG couldn't be everyone favourite French team.

I must admit I'd probably watch them if Sky or ESPN had the games just to see how good they actually are.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Real madrid?! I am insulted JSP! Utd> milan>barca!

And I watch french football on ESPN regularly (American & latin feeds show all the home & away games of select teams usually top six,from france, holland, spain and italy). Our is an exciting enough league imo and having PSG with money will help stiffen the competition.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

edit: I should say from what I've seen it's not that the French league is poor - they have plenty of players with good technique..it's just that it seems to me they are not as cosmopolitan as England and Italy or Spain - wages have a great deal to do with that imo. They are full of African players from french colonies who can get into France thru the colony link (plus those born in France via immigrant parents as French) and the best use it as a stepping stone to reach the better paying leagues, which of course end up having the better clubs in Europe. I put Ligue Un on par with the Eredivisie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Carlo Ancelotti has revealed that Paris St Germain have been offered Chelsea flop Fernando Torres - as they line up a swoop for Carlos Tevez.

The Blues striker has scored just five goals since his £50million arrival from Liverpool - and has even been booked in for extra shooting practice.

Under pressure: Fernando Torres has failed to shine for Chelsea

Sportsmail revealed last month that Chelsea were considering offloading the British record signing for a cut-price fee after just a year at Stamford Bridge.

And Ancelotti has claimed that the Spain international has been touted as a potential signing for his mega-rich French side.

The PSG boss said: 'There is a lot of choice for this January market. Do you want the names?

'OK, now I tell you the players the agents are offering on the market, officially or not: Carlos Tevez, Fernando Torres, Dimitar Berbatov, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Edinson Cavani, Fernando Llorente.'

Whether Chelsea would take a huge loss on Torres remains to be seen, but Ancelotti's admission suggests he is under threat.

ImageImage
Eyes on the prize: Carlo Ancelotti is lining up a move for Carlos Tevez (right)

Ancelotti, who was the manager in charge when Torres arrived at the Bridge, is unlikely to be interested in linking up with him again.

But one man he is genuinely keen on is Tevez, who is on his way out of Manchester City.

Inter Milan are set to fail with their £21m bid for the Argentina striker - but PSG are able to pay more after their recent injection of Qatari cash.

It is believed Sheikh Tamim - who owns PSG - has even spoken directly to City chief Sheikh Mansour about a deal.

City are believed to be holding out for at least £30m for Tevez and the French side would be the leading contenders to stump up the money.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:07 pm 
Major General
Major General

How are PSG planning on circumventing the FFP rules if they keep spending? I can't imagine their turnover is particularly large.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
How are PSG planning on circumventing the FFP rules if they keep spending? I can't imagine their turnover is particularly large.

There's a new TV deal coming in France
They will be hoping to attract the rich parisien's into the stadium and bump up ticket revenue especially the corporate revenue.
Increasing shirt sales and sponsorship money by generating worldwide interest through big name signings.
There's also rumours they may look to move into the stade de france although this is probably unlikely.

I believe they're hoping to sort of become everyones favourite French side.

There must be a plan or they might be hoping that Platini turns a blind eye now that it's a French side spending the cash.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paris St-Germain sporting director Leonardo has been given a nine-month suspension for pushing a referee.

He was filmed using his shoulder to make contact with Alexandre Castro in the Parc des Princes tunnel after being angered by Thiago Silva's red card in PSG's 1-1 draw with Valenciennes.

The 43-year-old Brazilian denied barging the official but was found guilty of pushing him.

PSG have confirmed that they are appealing against the decision.

The French champions were also given a suspended three-point deduction for next season.

The club said in a statement: "In the light of the material elements submitted to the members of the disciplinary committee, Paris St-Germain considers this decision to be unjustified and extremely harsh.

As a result, and in solidarity with its sporting director, Paris St-Germain will appeal this decision."

Leonardo, who won the World Cup in 1994, claimed another official accidentally pushed him into Castro.

The former AC Milan and PSG player was heavily critical of officials on several occasions throughout the season.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol: I saw that video. Leonardo definitely meant to do it. Pretty harsh ban for what it was mind..

From memory I'm pretty sure the decision to send of Silva was a bad one too. Though I could be remembering that bit wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's fair to say that in France they don't f*ck about when it comes to banning people.

They've handed out huge bans for horror tackles, after nearly every world cup they seem to ban half the national team for being w*nkers and technically Monaco are currently banned from Ligue 1.

In reality what does the 9 month ban for a director mean? Does it just mean he has to sit in the stand for the next 9 months which is where he should be anyway.

I've not seen the video but it sounds like the typical scene in an American film where the jock bumps into the nerd as knocks his books flying all over the floor then pretends it was an accident.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol: Very true, would be funny to see our FA ban players for just being w*nkers generally. But we'd have no team left.

That is exactly what happened to be honest. He had his back to the ref, little glance to see where he was and then just backed into him/shouldered him.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
The French are harsh in all punishment. I got a 300e fine for not paying my health socials trimester. Doesn't matter they never actually told me about it. Just got the fine through :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:00 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the FA are sh*t scared of players turning around and not playing for the country anymore if they come down hard on them as they need the big names to sell tickets. The reality is players will always want to play international football because it adds extra £'s to your wages if you're an England international plus you get better sponsorships plus there pride our FA treated Rio like dirt but he kept coming back for more.

These executive director roles at new money football club sound great as nothing is ever their fault Leonardo & Vieira just seem to good at talking to the media and just charm them while picking up a decent pay cheque.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah I think most would just carry on playing for the country...and to be honest, they shouldn't be scared if some of them decide not to. What would we happen? We might not get to a tournament? Might happen anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the worry for the FA isn't so much that we don't get to the tournament not sure how much money they actually make from reaching a tournament it would be that people stop going to matches because the big names aren't there.

When was the last time England sold out Wembley?

The difference with the French players might be that since most of them play outside of France they don't have to put up with the media that would come with being banned because they're in England/Spain/Germany etc whereas all the England players would have to put up with it in every ground they go to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Laurent Blanc looks set to be appointed coach of Ligue 1 champions Paris St Germain, according to sports network beIN Sport.

While the reports have not yet been confirmed, it appears that the former Bordeaux and France coach has agreed a two-year deal at the Parc des Princes - seemingly paving the way for last season's title-winning coach Carlo Ancelotti to succeed Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid.

A short statement posted this afternoon on the website of beIN Sport, a network of sports channels jointly owned and operated by PSG owners Qatari Sports Investments, read: "An agreement was reached today between Paris St Germain and Laurent Blanc for him to become the new coach of the capital club.

"An agreement between the former coach of the France team and PSG was reached for two years. It is planned that he will sign the contract next week."

According to reports in France, Blanc's agent met today with PSG president Nasser al-Kheladfi and sporting director Leonardo where the deal was agreed with the former Marseille, Inter Milan and Manchester United defender expected to sign a contract early next week.

Should it be true, it would bring to an end long-time speculation about the identity of the next PSG coach with the likes of Mourinho, Rafael Benitez, Fabio Capello and Andre Villas-Boas - among others - linked with the job.

The 47-year-old Blanc enjoyed a stellar playing career both domestically and internationally before being appointed Bordeaux boss in 2007.

He led Les Girondins to second place in Ligue 1 in his first season before going one better the following campaign as they were crowned champions as well as winning the Coupe de la Ligue.

Blanc was then confirmed as France coach in July 2010 ahead of the shambolic World Cup in South Africa, with Bordeaux receiving compensation from the French Football Federation.

He inherited a team that had been riven by in-fighting and divisions but managed to lead them to Euro 2012 where they reached the quarter-finals only to lose to Spain with Blanc stepping down after the tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Real Madrid have confirmed the appointment of the Italian Carlo Ancelotti as their new coach, with the former Paris Saint-Germain coach signing a three-year contract.

Ancelotti is set to be presented on Wednesday and will replace José Mourinho, who left at the end of last season to join Chelsea. "Familiar with the pressures of managing the great teams of the continent (Juventus, Milan, Chelsea and PSG) the Italian is a guarantee to direct an exciting project," Real said on their website.

Ancelotti, 54, has been linked with the post since Mourinho's departure and had asked to leave PSG, but the deal was reportedly held up until the French champions found a replacement. That man was Blanc, who was also appointed as Ancelotti's successor by PSG on a two-year deal. The 47-year-old Blanc, who left his job as France coach after their Euro 2012 quarter-final exit, led Bordeaux to the French title in 2009.

"Paris Saint-Germain is delighted to announce the appointment of Laurent Blanc as coach for the next two years. He will take charge of the squad on 1 July 2013 for the start of pre-season training," read a club statement. "The board of Paris Saint-Germain has given Laurent Blanc the mission to build on last season and to continue the club's ascendency towards the summits of the European game.

Ancelotti led PSG to the Ligue 1 title last term and Blanc, who achieved the same feat with Bordeaux in 2009, has been tasked with bringing further success to the club. PSG also reached last season's Champions League quarter-final, losing on away goals to Barcelona.

PSG spent lavishly in the past two seasons, with an outlay of around 260 million euros to secure big names like striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic and center back Thiago Silva from AC Milan. Despite having a wealth of talent at his disposal, Ancelotti struggled to get PSG to play as a unit and could not add a second trophy to their league crown, much to the disappointment of the club's owners, who demanded silverware.

When Ancelotti joined the club during the winter break of the 2011-12 season, replacing Antoine Kombouare, PSG held a three-point lead over Montpellier, only to lose the league title by three points in one of the biggest upsets in the history of French football.

PSG recovered from that blow to win the league last season, finishing eight points clear of Marseille, despite a mid-season rocky patch that led to Ancelotti openly questioning the commitment of his players.

Blanc, 47, also lifted the Coupe de la Ligue and was named Ligue 1 manager of the year in Bordeaux's successful 2009 campaign before leading France into Euro 2012, where they suffered a quarter-final exit.

A distinguished career as a central defender was crowned by his key role in the France side which won back-to-back major trophies at their home World Cup in 1998 and Euro 2000, eventually retiring with 97 caps and an impressive 16 international goals to his name.

He also collected league titles in France with Auxerre and in England with Manchester United, the European Cup Winners' Cup with Barcelona and domestic cup competitions with Montpellier, Auxerre and Barca.