The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Ballon D'Or
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:30 pm 
Major General
Major General

Im pretty sure Real and barcelona would thump most of teams in EPL .. The problem is not league but top 4 being fragile ...not good enough ..lacking superstar players when you compare it to Real Barcelona and to some extent Munich ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
Im pretty sure Real and barcelona would thump most of teams in EPL .. The problem is not league but top 4 being fragile ...not good enough ..lacking superstar players when you compare it to Real Barcelona and to some extent Munich ..

That's not the point I was making as I tend to agree they'd dominate our league in the same way they do their own. between them they probably have 25 of the top 50 players in the world that is a ridiculous concentration of talent as soon as one of our clubs develop a top talent they get picked off by these 2 mega clubs. Our league probably has a better balance not because our teams are better but because the gap in quality between our best team and worst team is smaller than it is in other leagues.

This would make more sense if Villa weren't in the league as they're awful :laugh:

That gap is getting smaller every year as the top teams seem to stand still while the rest of the league get stronger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Philipp Lahm: "It is time to change the Ballon d'Or... It's just a competition of popularity for the attackers.

I believe that, when the world footballing governing body hands out an award, it should not be a marketing award that solely honors the protagonists in a media-crazy world of soccer. Maybe there shouldn't be an individual award in a team sport but – besides a world XI – four single awards for best goalkeeper, best defender, best midfielder and best striker instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:12 am 
Major General
Major General

Bullshit .. Ronaldo Messi deserves the award ..they both are intouchables .. no one comes close to them is not their fault ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:29 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think Lahm has a fair point.

Xavi for example for 5-6 years ran the game for the best club and international teams in the world Barca & Spain yet he never got close to winning the Ballon D'Or.

I go back to 2010 Sneijder helps Inter Milan to the treble, Holland to runners up in the World Cup think he was either joint top scorer or 1 behind again nowhere near the award.

Ribery/Robben in 2013 help Bayern to a treble but I think Ribery can only finish 3rd that year.

It's become a bit of a popularity contest imo and the least they could do is start running it in line with the football season rather than calender years so we can stop hearing these bullsh*t calender year stats that mean nothing. Traditional Football season runs from August to July the awards should be handed out in accordance with that even if the voting is done in August the following year

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
In the whole article he does go into more depth, and is careful not to take away from the achievements of Mess and Ronaldo

----------------

How about selecting the candidates for next year's Fifa Ballon d'Or via Facebook? That would be a modern way of doing it. And the result would probably be the same as Monday's election.

The three most popular players on Facebook are: Cristiano Ronaldo with 108 million followers, Lionel Messi with more than 81 million and Neymar Jr. with 54 million fans.

First, I want to make it clear that Ronaldo, Messi and Neymar are fantastic footballers. It is beyond any question that they have rightfully reached the final shortlist numerous times.

But I have asked myself: What is the voting for the best footballer of the world all about?

Of course, it is an award for the best footballer of the year. That means it's all about the performances on the pitch and about the prizes won. Only a player who not only plays internationally, but who is successful on the biggest stage has the necessary relevance to stand a chance.

There's nothing wrong with this formula. It makes sense that the player of the year is someone who is an international and competes in top club competitions.

But when the voters are national coaches, national captains and a select group of journalists from 209 countries, I am convinced that only a few of these people, despite their knowledge, think about the topic. I have voted myself five times in the past and I don't exclude myself from acting in this way.

I know the procedure. During the season you receive a message and you are asked to name three players from a list of candidates. And then you simply go for the obvious choices – which brings us back to Facebook. You are stuck with the best-known names - players who you immediately remember pictures or games of. Players who are everywhere, on and off the pitch. You vote for the 'most visible' players.

That's why the Ballon d'Or has become a vote for the 'world's best striker'. That's not my embittered perspective as a defensive player but a neutral and statistically proven fact.

Fabio Cannavaro is the only true defender to have won the Golden Ball. The unforgettable Lothar Matthaus won the title as a midfielder in 1991 and after him Zinedine Zidane three times, but Matthaus was much more offensive-minded. Both won it way before the real start of the digital age. Oliver Kahn and Manuel Neuer made the podium but no goalkeeper has ever won it [since Lev Yashin in 1963]. To cut a long story short: Only the players who score goals can be crowned the best footballer of the year.

Of course, the moment when the ball hits the net, that's fascinating for kids playing the game and motivates them to join a club. Our sport needs lethal strikers, goalscorers, heroes.

But football is much more than the moment of triumph. Football is teamwork, unity, defence, assists, sacrifice.

I believe that when Fifa hands out an award, it should not be a marketing prize that solely honours the protagonists of a media-crazy sport. Maybe there shouldn't be an individual award in a team sport but (in addition to the world XI) four single awards for best goalkeeper, best defender, best midfielder and best striker instead.

This is because I don't think you can have one person who is the world's best player. In 2015, Lionel Messi is the deserved winner for the award of the world's best striker. Congratulations, Lionel Messi!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Antoine Griezmann has joined Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi on a three-man shortlist for the best Fifa men’s player award 2016, with Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri nominated in the coaches’ category.

Griezmann, 25, finished as top scorer at Euro 2016, in which France were defeated by Portugal in the final, and also helped take Atlético Madrid to the Champions League final, where they lost to Real Madrid.

Ronaldo captained Portugal to their first major international tournament success at Euro 2016, although he hobbled out of the final in Paris because of injury before then urging his team-mates on from the sidelines.

The 31-year-old also drove Los Blancos towards success in the Champions League, netting 16 goals en route to the final as well as slotting in the winning penalty from the shoot-out.

Ronaldo has previously won the Ballon d’Or three times, the last in 2014 when it had been merged with the Fifa world player of the year accolade.

Messi will be looking to repeat last year’s success when he again beat Ronaldo to the individual title, which was his fourth win since 2010 and fifth overall.

The Argentinian playmaker, 29, helped guide Barcelona to another domestic league and cup double in 2015-2016, scoring 41 goals in all competitions.

The 23-strong list was trimmed down following votes by captains and coaches of national teams, select members of the media and fans voting on Fifa.com.

The winner will be announced in Zurich on 9 January.

Ranieri is joined in the best men’s coach shortlist by the Portugal manager, Fernando Santos, and Real Madrid’s Zinedine Zidane.

The 65-year-old Italian guided Leicester to a shock Premier League triumph last season, having been 5,000-1 outsiders for the title.

Santos steered Portugal to success at Euro 2017 with a 1-0 victory over hosts France, while former player Zidane guided Los Blancos to 2016 Champions League glory after stepping up from his role as reserve-team coach.

The nominees for the best women’s player award are Germany’s Melanie Behringer, who helped her country win gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics, Carli Lloyd of the US, the women’s world player of the year for 2015, along with Brazil captain Marta.

On the shortlist for best women’s coach are American Jill Ellis, whose side won the 2015 Women’s World Cup, former Germany coach Silvia Neid and Sweden’s Pia Sundhage following their run to the Olympic final.

Voting for the Puskas award has now reopened on FIFA.com to decide a winner from the three fans’ choices of an initial shortlist of 10 for goal of the year.

Corinthians midfielder Marlone’s acrobatic strike in the Copa Libertadores match against Chilean side Cobresal, a fine individual effort from Venezuela’s 17-year-old Daniuska Rodriguez during the Women’s Under-17 Sudamericano Championship and Malaysia’s first ever Puskas award nominee Mohd Faiz Subri, of FA Penang, for his swerving free-kick against Pahang, will now battle it out for top spot in the poll.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Champions league and Euros means this is Ronaldos.

Ranieri surely has coaches in the bag

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:56 am 
Major General
Major General

What all the fuss was abt Messi .. it has calm down since last month but its Ronaldo all the way .. Euros and CL ..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ronaldo as expected wins the 4th of his career

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kaka is still the last man to win the award that wasn't Messi or Ronaldo. Every year since 2007 these two have taken it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Top 6 all play in La Liga

3 for Barca
1 for Atetico
2 for Real Madrid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:39 pm 
Major General
Major General

Its the best league ..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Can't argue with that they've dominated the European club tournaments over recent years imo Barcelona, Real Madrid & Atletico Madrid are the 3 best sides in Champions League over recent years Atletico don't get the credit they deserve especially when you consider they often lose a key player every summer to clubs that can pay bigger wages.

Spain has the top 6 players according to the vote but none of them are Spanish didn't see the full list but don't think a single Spanish player made the top 10 I'd be guessing that the only players shortlisted would be Iniesta, Pique or Ramos. What does that say about Spanish football right now?

I can't stand the Ballon D'or anyway it's not a fair vote Messi shouldn't be above Griezzman & Suarez over the last 12 months but it's basically a popularity contest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Isn't Messi the top scorer in La Liga with 51 goals in 2016. It's a calendar year award isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 am 
Major General
Major General

58 Messi

51 Ronaldo with CL and Euro Cup with Portugal ..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You may have noticed but there was another POTY award given out last night the FIFA WPOTY award is now seperate from the Ballon D'Or

There were few surprised Ronaldo scooped the award with Messi 2nd and Greizmann 3rd

Coach of the year went to Claudio Ranieri the only other challenge would be the Portugal manager but the fact I can't even remember his name probably tells you all you need to know.

The team of the year did raise a few eyebrows though

It's basically a Madrid/Barca XI plus Neuer in goal now this highlights to me why these award things are ridiculous as they don't follow the football calender for a start.

Also, I think everyones just become lazy with them but the voting also makes no sense Griezmann is 3rd best player but doesn't get in the front 3 how does that work?

Can you really say Iniesta has had a better year than Kante who was amazing for Leicester and France in the summer but his lack of Champs League games probably hurt him.

How is Pepe not in the team ahead of Pique he was immense for Portugal in the Euros.

They should f*ck all this stuff off and just do it all in August so we judge everything on a season rather than calender year sh*t which does my head in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:11 pm 
Major General
Major General

I agree this year shit is ridiculous.....