AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ballon D'Or
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Ronaldo got 46 goals in 42 games. Messi got 35 in 31. Ribery got 10 goals and 13 assist. Averaging over a goal a game for the calender yr. Surely it goes to Messi or Ronaldo.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Football isn't just about scoring goals it's about winning games and Bayern Munich have been the most dominant team in the world over the last 12 months.

Why not Neuer? Bayern hardly concede any goals or Phillip Lahm who is just a ridiculously good player Pep is even playing him DM in games this season which is crazy when you think he is arguably the best full back in the world.

What about Ibra then if we're just doing goals in a calendar year he can't be far off a goal a game for club and country over the last 12 months?

So basically Ronaldo deserve to win on stats, (insert Bayern player) deserves to win based on trophies/big match performances but Messi will probably win it because everyone loves him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He's quite good at football too, in fairness to him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The good citizens of Zurich, where FIFA's number one lair is located, may want to consider stocking up on drinking water, energy bars and tasty looking cats and dogs in case of emergencies. If Cristiano Ronaldo does not win the Ballon d'Or award in January then a hefty part of the population of Madrid will be heading to Switzerland to go medieval on Zurich's booty with an old-fashioned siege and ransack.

Pitchforks are set to be waved in a furious manner by those who feel that Ronaldo's immense 2013 is worthy of football's big gong, ahead of Lionel Messi and Frank Ribery, irrespective of the lacklustre performance of the Portuguese poacher's club in the same period.

On the completion of Ronaldo's hat-trick against Real Sociedad in a 5-1 win, the Santiago Bernabeu crowd was calling for the player to finally be handed the big prize. That is saying something for a group who took a very long time to warm to the player, despite the amount of goals he's scored since joining the club in 2009.

Whilst Ronaldo will continue to say that the award doesn't matter a hoot to him, that is of course complete nonsense. It matters a huge amount. Especially since the announcement that four other rivals will be on the final shortlist for the ceremony being held in January - an excuse if ever there was to put Neymar on the ticket, as well as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, a certain Argentinean and Ribery.

After Saturday's victory saw a more balanced Real Madrid for once, Marca plonked Ronaldo on the front cover, with the banner "Cristiano Universe". Although the paper tends to live in that place every day of the year, it was a worthy headline with Ronaldo in particularly devastating form at the moment.

The Madrid man has already scored 24 goals this season in La Liga and the Champions League, to make it 62 since the start of 2013. His 19th hat-trick in La Primera saw Ronaldo reach 225 goals in 216 games in Spain, a truly extraordinary figure in the demanding realm of the modern game. "He is from another world," admitted Carlo Ancelotti, a manager who has seen some decent players in his time.

It is not just Ronaldo's goalscoring record that is so particularly impressive but also his non-stop commitment and running. Ronaldo never seems to have a lull or a period of iffy form. Unlike Leo Messi, who suffered a hamstring knack against Betis, he never seems to be injured either. As the ever-effusive Tomas Roncero wrote in AS, "It doesn't matter when or where he plays, he puts on a superman cape and flies with the same ambition, the same effort and intensity."

However, there is a sense in Spain that no matter what Ronaldo achieves, it simply won't be enough. The recent mocking caricature from Sepp Blatter merely reinforced the feeling in a country that loves a good conspiracy that FIFA (and UEFA, the two groups are interchangeable in any complaint), have if it in for the forward on the grounds that Ronaldo's flashy image is vulgar.

As the editor of AS, Alfredo Relaño, wrote on Sunday: "This year it won't be Messi, but Ribery due to the campaign from Bayern". It must be said though, that if image was key to FIFA then the French footballer may not be the most wholesome choice due to his current legal issues.

Besides, Ronaldo is nothing less than perfect in his professionalism. If ever there was a football who delivers again, again, again, and again; who is increasingly selfless in his game and clearly someone who looks after his body and mind, it is the Real Madrid man. Indeed, it would not be a huge surprise if he were tucked up in bed by eight o'clock on matchdays.

After Ronaldo trotted off the field following yet another performance that challenges the creativity of La Liga headline writers, the bandwagon in parts of Spain calling for him to win the next Ballon d'Or begins to gather speed. And it's being loaded with enough pikes and cannon balls to rout the city of Zurich if the vote should go the wrong way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo is the new favourite for the FIFA Ballon d'Or after his hat-trick fired Portugal to the World Cup finals.

Having destroyed Sweden in Solna to guide his side to Brazil, the extension to the Ballon d'Or vote to November 29 plays to the advantage of the Real Madrid star who has scored 32 goals in 20 games this season, including five hat-tricks. During the calendar year, he has scored 66 goals in 55 games.

And following his display in the play-off second leg, punters instantly reacted with an avalanche of bets on Ronaldo to win the award, prompting his odds with Sky Bet to plummet from 6/4 to 4/9, replacing Franck Ribery at the head of the market.

The surge in interest has left Ronaldo with more than double the stakes of his main rival for the accolade, while Lionel Messi's odds have drifted out to 8/1.

Before nominations close, Ronaldo may well improve his statistics further, but what he will be unable to do is deliver a trophy and that is his Achilles heel when it comes to beating Messi and Champions League winner Ribery to the Ballon d'Or.

But the Portuguese skipper has given his country a fighting chance of success in Brazil next summer after scoring all four goals over the two legs as they beat the Swedes 4-2.

Ronaldo celebrated in style after the triumph in Sweden but insists his celebrations were not aimed at FIFA president Sepp Blatter following recent comments he made about the Real star. Blatter was swift to congratulate Paulo Bento's team and Ronaldo via Twitter within minutes of their qualification for Brazil.

"I don't have to respond to anyone, my answers are given on the pitch," Ronaldo said.

He also insists he is not focused on recapturing the accolade he won in 2008, adding: "I do not live my life obsessed with titles and do not have to show anything to anyone, because I have shown my worth, I've done 40/50 goals every season and it is not within the reach of anyone. I know what I am."

FIFA confirmed that the date for Ballon d'Or nominations has been put back due to a low number of responses, while those who have submitted can change their mind. The prize itself will be presented in Zurich on January 13.

"Due to a low number of responses from coaches and captains of the national teams as well as media representatives and in order to ensure a representative number of votes Fifa and France Football have extended the deadline for the voting until 29 November 2013," a spokesperson said.

"Member Associations and media representatives who had been invited to vote on the above mentioned awards have been informed accordingly."

On the game in Solna, Ronaldo admits there were some nerves when Sweden took the lead on the night thanks to a brace from Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"We let Sweden grow in confidence and we retreated and suffered but that's part of the spectacle of football. We reacted well and we ended up winning," he admitted.

"I do not compete against Zlatan, he is a fantastic player and biggest star in Sweden, but I do not compete against him. I play for my team."

Ronaldo is now on target to become Portugal's top scorer of all time after levelling Pauleta's 47-mark.

"I always said that the records are to be beaten, but I was not thinking about it, I was just focused on winning this game.

"We are now equal and we will see what happens in the future."

The extension to the voting period has probably helped swing it for him and it's hard to argue. There were some stats going around on twitter last night that basically said in the calender year 2013 Ronaldo has scoring more goals than any of the Premier League sides. He will have probably played more games than them because of internationals/European games but that is quite honestly ridiculous.

I still maintain he's a better player than Messi as the team around him doesn't have to be 100% tuned to his game to make him a success he's flourished under Ferguson, Pelligrini, Mourinho & Ancelotti who all have different ways of playing (although most of them eventually think f*ck it just give the ball to Ronaldo) whereas Messi has only ever played the Barca way. Argentina have even adopted the Barca way to get the best out of Messi.

I would still say that Ribery is unlucky not to win it as he was the key player in big games for that awesome Bayern side but since Blatter had that dig at Ronaldo he's basically done so much that he can't be ignored for an individual award.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Has to be Ronaldo's. I don't watch much German football but find it hard to believe Ribery is even in the same league as Ronaldo (and Messi).

Only just seen the discussion on here before that Ribery should win it as Messi hasn't lived up to previous ridiculous standards he set. Couldn't disagree more. In future when you look back and see Ribery won it you'll assume he was the best player in the World that year. Well, no he wasn't, he wasn't even second best. He just tried really hard that year.

It's not the award for playing well compared to your usual standards, it's the award for being the best player in the World. Ribery doesn't come close to Messi and Ronaldo in my book. Yes it's boring that Messi and Ronaldo win it every year, but they're so f**king good they should do. Anyone else winning it makes a mockery of the award.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
Has to be Ronaldo's. I don't watch much German football but find it hard to believe Ribery is even in the same league as Ronaldo (and Messi).

Only just seen the discussion on here before that Ribery should win it as Messi hasn't lived up to previous ridiculous standards he set. Couldn't disagree more. In future when you look back and see Ribery won it you'll assume he was the best player in the World that year. Well, no he wasn't, he wasn't even second best. He just tried really hard that year.

It's not the award for playing well compared to your usual standards, it's the award for being the best player in the World. Ribery doesn't come close to Messi and Ronaldo in my book. Yes it's boring that Messi and Ronaldo win it every year, but they're so f**king good they should do. Anyone else winning it makes a mockery of the award.

He is not on there level but then again he doesn't have an entire team of superstar players built around him he operates as a highly functioning part of a team. Everything that Barca/Real Madrid do is geared to making Messi/Ronaldo the star player sometimes to the detriment of other players who has to sacrifice their own ability to help those two shine.

It has to be put into some context though Messi & Ronaldo pump in goals against a lot of weak teams in Spain in the big games in Bayern's run to a treble Ribery was the one who was often the stand out players in the league and in Europe. The argument for not picking Messi is that in the big games last season he didn't really show up I think Ronaldo had the better head to head record in Classico matches this year and Ribery's Bayern destroyed Barca 7-0 over two legs (although I think Messi was injured).

I don't see how it makes a mockery of the award yes Messi/Ronaldo pump out these amazing goal scoring stats every year but neither of them won any trophies last season. For me Iniesta/Xavi over the last 4 or 5 years has been right up alongside those two in terms of the way they control games from midfield and suffocate the opposition. Messi might put the final touches on the move but they're the ones who've normally set the whole thing up.If you look back in 20 years at why Ribery wont WPOTY in 2013 you'd probably instantly come across the fact he won the treble with his club side which would probably make you think he must've been bloody good that year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Has to be Ronaldo after last night. Was already probably his but.. He's just pulled his team through on his own last night.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 am 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

borocooper wrote:
Has to be Ronaldo after last night. Was already probably his but.. He's just pulled his team through on his own last night.

Especially considering they've extended the voting deadline and have told anyone that has already voted they can feel free to vote again if they wish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo, Franck Ribery and Lionel Messi are on the three-man shortlist for the 2013 Ballon d'Or.

The trio were chosen from the 23-man list, which included Gareth Bale, and the world player of the year will be revealed on 13 January.

Barcelona's Messi has won four years in a row but Real Madrid forward Ronaldo is the favourite to win this year.

The women's final trio are Nadine Angerer (Germany), Marta (Brazil) and Abby Wambach (USA).

Fifa has also confirmed the final three for coach of the year - with former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson vying with ex-Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes and Borussia Dortmund's Jurgen Klopp for the award.

The winners, to be announced at a ceremony in Zurich, will be decided by a vote among the captains and head coaches of all Fifa-affiliated men's national teams, as well as by international media representatives selected by France Football magazine.

France Football introduced the Ballon d'Or in 1956 to honour the European footballer of the year, with England's Stanley Matthews the first winner.

In 2007 the award became a world player award and three years later it merged with Fifa's own world player honour.

Quote:
Ballon d'Or nominees' 2013 stats (domestic league and Champions League)
Ronaldo Ribery Messi

Games 41 37 34

Goals 51 15 37

Assists 12 15 11

Barcelona and Argentina forward Messi, 26, has won every year since the merger, but Real Madrid and Portugal star Ronaldo, 28, emerged as the bookmakers' favourite after his fifth hat-trick of the season sent Portugal to the World Cup at the expense of Sweden last month.

Bayern Munich and France winger Ribery, 30, had previously been considered a leading contender after winning the treble with his club last season.

Hours after the Portugal-Sweden game ended, however, Fifa extended the voting period from 15 November to 29 November after saying fewer than 50% of eligible voters had responded before the original deadline.

Aside from Bale, five other Premier League players failed to make the cut from the initial 23 - Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, Chelsea forward Eden Hazard, Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie.

Wolfsburg's Ralf Kellermann, Germany boss Silvia Neid and Sweden coach Pia Sundhage are the final three for the women's coach of the year.

Fifa has also confirmed the final nominees for the FIFPro World XI 2013, a team of the year.

The British candidates are England defenders Leighton Baines and Ashley Cole, midfielder Steven Gerrard, striker Wayne Rooney and Wales forward Bale.

The other Premier League nominees are: Chelsea's Petr Cech, Branislav Ivanovic and David Luiz, Manchester City's Vicent Kompany, Pablo Zabaleta, Toure and Sergio Aguero, Manchester United's Nemanja Vidic and Van Persie, Arsenal's Ozil and Liverpool's Suarez.
Quote:

As I've said before it's a team game so individual awards don't bother me that much but in terms of the stats it's pretty hard to argue against Ronaldo being the best player over the last year although the stats they use obviously favour attacking players like Ronaldo/Ribery/Messi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manager of the Year: Heynckes
Player of the Year: Ronaldo

Can't really argue with those awards.

Neuer

Alves Ramos T. Silva Lahm

Ronaldo Xavi Iniesta Ribery

Zlatan Messi

Have to question how Alves, Ramos & Xavi have made that team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:13 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Did you look at the list of votes cast?

A load of voters clearly just voted for their mates/countrymen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 pm 
Major General
Major General

What rubbish point arguing on xavi place.Ramos questionable but these 2 are cornerstone of one of the best international teams of all time.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
What rubbish point arguing on xavi place.Ramos questionable but these 2 are cornerstone of one of the best international teams of all time.

But this was for the calendar year 2013 when Spain didn't win anything they actually got destroyed by Brazil in the Confederations Cup Final.

What is the point in having a vote every year if you don't base the voting on a set time period?

Xavi by his own very high standard did not have a very good year in 2013 lots of injuries like Messi have meant he hasn't been the most consistent.

The fact Schweinstieger has missed nearly all of this season probably helped him.

Really if you're doing a team of the year it's Bayern Munich but somehow shoe horning in Ronaldo/Messi to a starting XI.

The voting is a bit of a joke for example Ronaldo didn't put Messi in his top 3 and Messi returned the favour by not voting for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 am 
Major General
Major General

IMO the previous press voting system was far better than current which has been running for last 4-5 years but why all fuss NOW from media because Ronaldo won it this year? ? Ronaldo has won it the same way messi has been winning since last 4 years.All these media bullshit just undermines Ronaldo achievement.

Yeah Xavi isgetting old and hia performances havent been upto his standard but who would you rather have? ? Javi Martinez would have been my choice but same Javi Martinez couldnt cement his place ibto Spain starting 11.

I agree voting system is Joke but Messi Ronaldo would walk into any world 11.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I tend to agree the old system was probably better as the current voting you just have situations were people vote for their mates. Messi for example voted for 3 Barcelona players, Gerrard voted for Suarez, Ronaldo voted for Bale it's become a bit of a vote for your mates type competition it's not really independant I believe it's 3 votes from each nation the international manager, captain & 1 journalist but why does every nation need to vote?

You can't really argue with the results it has turned out but it has become a bit of a PR war where basically only Ronaldo/Messi can win it.

But if you were picking on form over the last 12 months Javi Martinez would be starting ahead of Sergio Busquets for Spain but international football doesn't work like that and for me Xavi is a bit of a lazy pick because unless you watch loads and loads of football why would you pick anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:19 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Five Premier League players have been named on the 23-man shortlist for the prestigious FIFA Ballon d’Or award - with Luis Suarez a high-profile omission.

Current league-leaders Chelsea have a strong presence among the names, with Belgium goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois joining Diego Costa and Eden Hazard on the list.

Manchester United winger Angel di Maria and Manchester City’s Yaya Toure have also been nominated.

Lionel Messi, whose four Ballon d’Or trophies makes him the most-awarded player in history, represents Barcelona along with Neymar Junior, Javier Mascherano and Andres Iniesta - but Suarez is left off the list, despite being awarded the Golden Shoe last week.

Two-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo, who won last year's award and is earmarked as the favourite again, leads six Real Madrid players among the choices - the most of any team - along with Gareth Bale, Karim Benzema, Toni Kroos, Sergio Ramos and James Rodriguez.

There are six German players, with Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Mario Gotze joining Kroos.

The list is completed by Paris Saint-Germain and Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Juventus and France midfielder Paul Pogba, and Netherlands and Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben.

Meanwhile, three Premier League managers have been shortlisted for FIFA’s Coach of the Year including Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, Manchester United’s new manager Louis van Gaal and title-winning Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini.

Carlo Ancelotti, who lifted the 2013-14 UEFA Champions League with Real Madrid, is in a strong position but faces competition from La Liga-winning boss Diego Simeone of rivals Atletico.

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola clinched the Bundesliga in record time earlier this year and is also on the list along with Italy boss Antonio Conte, who won Serie A with Juventus before taking over the national team following the World Cup.

World Cup winning coach Joachim Low makes the list, along with Argentina boss Alejandro Sabella and USA head coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

Ballon d’Or nominations: Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Lionel Messi, Thibaut Courtois, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Angel di Maria, Yaya Toure, Mario Gotze, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Andres Iniesta, Toni Kroos, Philipp Lahm, Javier Mascherano, Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer, Neymar, Paul Pogba, Sergio Ramos, Arjen Robben, James Rodriguez, Bastian Schweinsteiger

Coach of the Year nomination: Jose Mourinho, Louis van Gaal, Carlo Ancelotti, Antonio Conte, Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klinsmann, Joachim Low, Manuel Pellegrini, Alejandro Sabella, Diego Simeone

I don't think Suarez can complain he's let himself down again so there has to be some punishment for that.

For me the only person who can run Ronaldo close this year is Manuel Neuer who is to goal keeping what Ronaldo/Messi have become to goal scoring. He has totally changed the way the job is done and is so far ahead in terms of individual ability than the rest of the players who play his position.

Of the World Cup winners for me Neuer makes the most stand out case along with maybe Lahm who is just always brilliant every time he plays.

Shows how far the PL has fallen though only 2 players from last season are on the list in Yaya & Hazard they've improved the numbers with new players coming in but as you can see the top players just aren't in England at the moment. Notice a certain French midfielder who used to play in England made the list :ninja:

As for coach of the year I would've said Simeone but he really let himself down after that CL final with his antics so you then have to look at Lowe finally winning the World Cup was a huge achievement but for me Simeone was coach of the year winning the league ahead of Real/Barca and being 2 minutes away from winning the European Cup was a huge achievement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:15 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
This cant go anywhere other than Ronaldos trophy room. Be disgusting if it does. Neuer may be taking goalkeeping to new levels. Ronaldo is taking football there. He is 30. Got 15 goals in 8 games this season. 21 before the end of October. The world cup didn't have a stand out player except James. But he hasn't done enough at club level to warrant it and why should 6 matches of the season be more important than 50 others?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:35 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
This cant go anywhere other than Ronaldos trophy room. Be disgusting if it does. Neuer may be taking goalkeeping to new levels. Ronaldo is taking football there. He is 30. Got 15 goals in 8 games this season. 21 before the end of October. The world cup didn't have a stand out player except James. But he hasn't done enough at club level to warrant it and why should 6 matches of the season be more important than 50 others?

I totally agree Ronaldo for me should be nailed on but the only other person who you can make a genuine case for is Neuer.

For me individual awards don't really mean anything football is a team sport at the end of the day you need the team around you to help the individual stand out but the one position where you are very much on your own is goalkeeper and it's never really recognised with these individual awards.

The thing with Ronaldo that is most impressive is in 2008 when he first won the award and his star was very much on the rise he was clearly the best player in the world from 2006 to 2009 at Utd he was unbelievable but in 2008 Messi emerged as this golden child and somehow Ronaldo was cast as the villain and for years he watched messi win all the awards but over the last 2 years he has stayed at his level maybe even got better whereas Messi has started to struggle a little with burn out imo. Things are changing at Barca as well the great Guardiola team is being rebuilt so it's a bit harder for him to shine so brightly as he did back then.

James was very good at Monaco last season but he is only on the list because of the World Cup where he did star and I don't really have a problem with that but it would be a joke if he got more votes than players like Di Maria, Toure or Muller.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 am 
Major General
Major General

Ronaldo no doubt :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next