Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sven to sue Fake Shiekh
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has instructed his lawyers to pursue a civil case against the 'Fake Sheikh' Mazher Mahmood, a man he claims was 'a disaster' for his managerial career.

The investigative journalist Mahmood was found guilty of conspiring to pervert the course of justice on Wednesday 5 October in case involving the singer Tulisa Contostavlos.

Eriksson was sacked by the FA in 2006, following Mahmood's sting where the Swede was alleged to have said he would be prepared to quit the England job to become Aston Villa's manager, and that he would 'tap up' David Beckham at Real Madrid.

Eriksson told Sky Sports News HQ: "That man was a disaster for my professional life - England was the biggest job of my life, and he took it away from me.

"I would probably have been sacked anyway if England didn't win the World Cup in 2006 - but in fact, I was sacked because of the Fake Sheikh; 90 per cent of what he said about me was lies.

"The newspaper apologised six months later, but it was too late by then - I'd lost the biggest job of my life, and my reputation was in tatters."

Eriksson went on to manage Mexico and the Ivory Coast after leaving the England job and also had spells at Notts County and Leicester City. He is currently managing Chinese Super League club Shanghai SIPG.

Lawyers have suggested many other celebrities targeted by Mahmood over the years now plan to bring civil claims against him.

When asked what he wanted to see happen to Mahmood, Eriksson added: "He should be in prison."

Mahmood will be sentenced on 21 October.

Profile Send private message