Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: England ~ Wayne's World & Garth Southgate
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:35 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Burnley defender Michael Keane has been handed his first international call-up after Stoke's Glen Johnson withdrew from the England squad through injury.

Keane, 23, who has played for England at under-19, under-20 and under-21 levels, will report to St George's Park on Tuesday with the rest of the squad.

Gareth Southgate called him up after Johnson was ruled out of Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Malta.

On Monday, Andros Townsend replaced the injured Raheem Sterling in the squad.

Crystal Palace's Townsend, 25, has played 11 times for his country and scored three goals, but was not selected for Euro 2016.

He has played in all seven of Palace's Premier League games since joining from Newcastle for £13m in the summer.

England, led by interim manager Southgate, face Malta on 8 October and Slovenia three days later.

No details have yet been given on Manchester City player Sterling's injury.

Keane has featured in all of Burnley's Premier League games this term.

Between 2013 and 2016, the former Manchester United trainee made 16 appearances for the under-21s side under Southgate.

Updated England squad

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Torino, on loan from Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Michael Keane (Burnley), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Michail Antonio (West Ham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Dele Alli (Tottenham), Andros Townsend (Crystal Palace)

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester)

New manager new thread

Good to see Micheal Keane get a call up he's had a good start to the season and Southgate knows him from the U21's I'm guessing he's got the nod ahead of Gibson (Boro) & Chambers (Boro on loan from Arsenal) not sure going back to the likes of Shawcross really achieves anything and the only other candidate was probably Scott Dann who I think deserves a look. You can't blame the manager sticking to what he knows at short notice though.

Kane being injured possibly solves a problem for Southgate as he can now play Rooney up top as the number 9 with Alli behind and Kane's form had become an issue where he maybe needed to be dropped.

Given the players we've got and the opposition I'd look to give Forster a start over Hart in this one but they obviously wont Cahill's form has to see him dropped his recent form is shocking

Hart

Walker Smalling Stones Rose

Dier Henderson

Walcott Alli Rashford

Rooney

Didn't realise Wilshere & Barkley haven't made the squad.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: England ~ Wayne's World & Garth Southgate
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gareth Southgate is the Football Association's favoured candidate to be the next full-time England manager and he could seal the position with a win against Scotland next month. (Daily Mail)

Despite England having performed disappointingly in the first two of Southgate's four matches as interim boss, the FA have been impressed by his approach to the job. (Guardian)

4 points from 2 games with an injury hit squad and a manager appointed a week before the games is hardly dissapointing.

The media in this country need a massive f*cking reality check international football is boring to watch even the good sides are pretty boring because unless you get 2 teams at the top of their game (which only really happens in later rounds of tournaments) you normally just have 1 team being massively defensive against the other team. The better games might actually be the games between the middle teams in the groups for the top teams it's always a bit of a dull slog.

Also, it's a young team which is what everyone wants then they moan when there are problems what we need is some stability give it to Southgate and try to build a settled side over the next 18 months hopefully getting us to the world cup.

Don't do what we did at the Euro's and drop a load of players at the last minute who'd played all the qualifiers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
Yup.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
“I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a surprise. I give him a lot of credit for having the courage and the fight to make something like that happen. He felt it was right for him and he went and did it and I have a lot of respect for that.”

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was discussing Jack Wilshere earlier this month, but he faced a similar dilemma to his former teammate in the summer. Wilshere perused Arsenal’s central-midfield options in the summer to find Santi Cazorla, Granit Xhaka, Francis Coquelin, Mohamed Elneny, Aaron Ramsey and Mesut Ozil ahead of him, and decided to swap time on the bench at best for regular first-team football at Bournemouth. It has been a temporary hit to his ambitions for club and country, but the 24-year-old’s risk could be rewarded by the summer.

Oxlade-Chamberlain chose the other path. Theo Walcott, Alex Iwobi, Alexis Sanchez, Lucas Perez, Ozil, Ramsey and even a one-legged Danny Welbeck are more likely to be handed first-team opportunities by Arsene Wenger, but the 23-year-old opted to stick, not twist. That he has still played fewer Premier League minutes this season than Rob Holding suggests it was the wrong decision.

Jamie Vardy (Leicester)
Even for a man fuelled by a pre-match diet of Red Bull, Jamie Vardy’s comedown from a memorable and historic season at both an individual and a team level has been stark. The Leicester forward preaches the powers of doubles espressos, cheese-and-ham omelettes and half-Lucozade bottles of port; the only surprise is that we are all surprised.

By this stage last season, Vardy was in the midst of his record-breaking run of scoring in consecutive Premier League games, and was firing the Foxes’ title challenge. Twelve long months later, and everything has changed. In the words of Daniel Storey, a man who swaps the Red Bull for sparkling water and the cheese and ham omelettes for a kale and couscous salad:

‘During last season, Vardy managed a shot every 27.3 minutes, shot on target every 59.2 minutes and created a chance every 65.4 minutes. In Leicester’s first eight league games, the shots have come every 50.1 minutes, shots on target every 162.8 minutes (close to one every other game) and chances created every 108.5 minutes.’

Those Arsenal rumours do seem an awfully long time ago.

Ross Barkley (Everton)
For an insight into the diametrically opposite approaches of Everton’s two most recent managers, analyse their treatment of Ross Barkley. Roberto Martinez was the soft grandparent who was all too happy to let the England international express himself and wear his trousers on his head; Ronald Koeman is the strict headmaster looking to eradicate those bad habits.

After being allowed to visit all the toy stores, gorge himself on sweets and stay up past his bedtime last season, this campaign has seen Barkley spend most of his time on the naughty step. Koeman has made no attempt to pander to Barkley’s talents, explaining that he substituted him at half-time against Sunderland in September because “he did not play well, he lost many balls and players of that quality can’t lose those kinds of balls”.

Contrast that with Martinez’s comments last November – “People will look at what Ross does ­defensively, but what I always look at is what he can do offensively against these types of teams. We have got to that point where Ross Barkley knows how special he is and what he does” – and it is clear that this is a player caught between two polar opposites. We asked whether he was “special” enough to be excused almost a year ago; the answer is still a resounding ‘No’.

The midfielder is undergoing a crucial transition period at Everton. Sulk, and that talent goes to waste. Listen to one of the most exciting managers in the country, work hard and keep in line, and a bright future could yet lie before him.

Mark Noble
It was never supposed to be like this. When Sam Allardyce was appointed England manager in the summer, that was Mark Noble’s official invitation to be beckoned into the international fold. The West Ham midfielder, to whom the biggest compliment is that he is a not-quite-as-good Scott Parker, would finally earn the recognition courtesy of his former club manager.

When Allardyce named his first (and only) England squad, the football world was united in its shock and horror at Noble’s omission. How would the national squad cope without his penalty-taking technique? His consummate professionalism? His delightfully kempt hair?

It was, of course, an understandable choice to leave him out. Per game, the Premier League statistics are unflattering: 2.8 tackles last season has become 2.3; 2.2 interceptions has become 1.1; 1.4 key passes has become one; 0.8 dribbles has become 0.4. And the 29-year-old has some work to do to catch up on his seven goals and four assists.

Matt Stead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
England, Scotland and Wales are in talks with world governing body Fifa over whether players can wear poppies on their shirts to mark Armistice Day.

England play Scotland at Wembley on 11 November in a World Cup qualifier, before Wales face Serbia at the Cardiff City Stadium the following evening.

Fifa bans political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.

The Football Associations of England, Scotland and Wales want to know the potential punishments.

The ultimate sanction is a points deduction, but Fifa has not indicated whether that would be under consideration.

One solution could be players wearing a poppy on an armband.

That compromise was brokered for England's 1-0 friendly win over Spain at Wembley on 12 November 2011.

England's match with Scotland takes place on Armistice Day, when commemorations take place across the United Kingdom to remember the nation's war dead.

An FA spokesman said: "We are working closely with the Royal British Legion once again this year to honour and remember the sacrifices made by those serving in the armed forces.

"In recent weeks, the FA has led remembrance discussions with Fifa to allow the England team to show its support for the Poppy Appeal during the World Cup qualifier with Scotland."

BBC Sports news correspondent Richard Conway says it is believed the new Fifa administration, under president Gianni Infantino, is "more sensitive" to such issues than was the case under Sepp Blatter and that the expectation in Zurich is that a "rapid solution" will be found

I support the wearing of poppies I buy one every year to help support the charity but I don't wear it religiously as some do but a Poppy has no place on football shirts in international games.

This is one FIFA thing I'm actually fully behind you can't have one rule for one and one for another I'm sure something could be arranged before the games to mark the day but we dont need the poppy on the shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I hope the FA put two fingers up at them and wear poppies anyway if they say no. I buy a couple every year but the one I wear is actually a metal badge which is on my coat all year round. #LestWeForget

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I hope the FA put two fingers up at them and wear poppies anyway if they say no. I buy a couple every year but the one I wear is actually a metal badge which is on my coat all year round. #LestWeForget

I hope if we do FIFA dock points for it

Politics and Football are separate things and it needs to be kept that way

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Prime Minister Theresa May says Fifa's apparent refusal to allow England and Scotland players to wear armbands featuring poppies is "outrageous".

The two nations play each other on 11 November, the day when the United Kingdom remembers its war dead.

Fifa has reiterated its ruling, which bans political, religious or commercial messages on shirts.

"Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out," said Mrs May.

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security - I think it is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

I'm sure FIFA could probably say the same about our government and our FA who's houses aren't at all in order currently. Also, the rules are pretty clear on this stuff and there are no exceptions to it for good reason as who's to decide what is positive and what isn't the poppy is about remembering those who died not some sort of patriotic badge to be worn.

I don't think the players have come out and said anything on this I think they're probably focusing on trying to win 3 points for their respective teams.

This sh*t comes up every year because the papers know it'll get people rilled up and it'll sell a few papers it's the same stuff that comes up with James McLean and his personal reasons for not wearing a poppy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
FA confirm England will wear Poppy's regardless of any FIFA ban according to the independent

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:20 pm 
Major General
Major General

FIFA is a scum. .

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:16 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jack Wilshere and Harry Kane have been recalled to the England squad for the World Cup qualifier against Scotland and the friendly against Spain.

Arsenal midfielder Wilshere, 24, was left out of the two previous squads but his form has improved during his current loan spell at Bournemouth.

Spurs striker Kane has recovered from the ankle injury that saw him miss the matches against Malta and Slovenia.

Manchester United's Chris Smalling and Luke Shaw are not in the squad.

Both defenders were declared unfit for United's 3-1 win at Swansea.

Spurs midfielder Dele Alli also misses out having twisted his knee during training in the build-up to Tottenham's 1-1 draw against Arsenal on Sunday.

Burnley's Michael Keane is included again, having received his first call-up as injury cover for last month's games. Full-back Nathaniel Clyne and midfielders Adam Lallana and Raheem Sterling also return to the set-up after overcoming injuries.

"Over the last few weeks we've been looking at as many games as possible and keeping track of all of the players," said interim England boss Gareth Southgate.

"Wilshere is a player that we feel has a lot of class and is now starting to get more 90 minutes under his belt. It's good to bring him back into the squad."

England face Scotland on Friday at Wembley Stadium and then play Spain on Tuesday, 15 November.

Analysis

Phil McNulty, chief football writer

Wilshere's loan move to Bournemouth from Arsenal was designed to revive his career with club and country - his England recall for the first time since the doomed Euro 2016 campaign proves its success.

The midfielder was left badly exposed by former England manager Roy Hodgson's misplaced loyalty in selecting him for France on the back of 141 minutes over three games for Arsenal at the back end of last season.

He looked totally ill-equipped physically to play and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger clearly felt the only way he could recover was to go somewhere else and get regular games away from Emirates Stadium.

Wilshere has impressed at Bournemouth and his fitness has improved to such an extent he played his first full 90 minutes in the goalless draw with Spurs on 22 October.

Southgate has taken note, recalling how Wilshere has been an international influence when fully fit, and brought him back for the World Cup qualifier with Scotland and the friendly against Spain at Wembley.

England's 25-man squad to face Scotland and Spain: Forster (Southampton), Hart (Torino), Heaton (Burnley); Bertrand (Southampton), Cahill (Chelsea), Clyne (Liverpool), Jagielka (Everton), Keane (Burnley), Rose (Tottenham), Stones (Man City), Walker (Tottenham); Dier (Tottenham), Drinkwater (Leicester), Henderson (Liverpool), Wilshere (Bournemouth), Lallana (Liverpool), Lingard (Man Utd), Rooney (Man Utd), Sterling (Man City), Townsend (Crystal Palace); Walcott (Arsenal), Kane (Tottenham), Rashford (Man Utd), Sturridge (Liverpool), Vardy (Leicester).

Oxlade-Chamberlain is a little unlucky I'd have him over Andros Townsend and probably Lingard but it's not like he's really forcing himself to get picked there's a lot of guys who you could make an either or call on without really strengthening/weakening out options. Charlie Austin has been banging them in but no ones calling for him to get a chance whereas Kane's been injured and Sturrige as barely started a league game all season.

Kane needs a big game for England he's been poor since before the Euros his form really dipped off and hasn't looked the same player in an England shirt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Aaron Creswell & Jordan Pickford called up to replace Danny Drinkwater & Fraser Forster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Watching England games is "purgatory" for supporters, says former Three Lions captain Terry Butcher.

England, who host Scotland at Wembley on Friday, drew 0-0 in their World Cup qualifier in Slovenia last month.

The result followed laboured wins over Malta and Slovakia as England look to bounce back from their embarrassing Euro 2016 exit against Iceland.

"We're reaching new lows all the time," said Butcher. "Just when you think it should have bottomed out, it doesn't."

England are top of their qualifying group after two wins and a draw, with fourth-placed Scotland three points behind their old rivals.

But Butcher, who won 77 caps between 1980 and 1990, is not impressed and says there is "no better time" for Scotland to play them.

"With England, you've got to win but you've also got to play well," he said.

"Drawing 0-0 in Slovenia is not acceptable and they scraped a 1-0 win against Slovakia. It's purgatory watching England, it really is. It is groundhog day."

Butcher, who famously played with a head wound as England drew in Sweden to clinch their place at the 1990 World Cup, says the current England players fail to show the same passion and commitment as previous generations.

"The jersey's like a straitjacket for the players," said the former Ipswich, Rangers and Sunderland centre-half, now 57.

"They have got to take the responsibility. They have got to really want it. They are not vocal. They're not demonstrative.

"They play like they've got their headphones on. You think 'what music are they listening to?' They're listening to the wrong track. They're not on the same beat."

On Tuesday, Butcher spoke to the England players at St George's Park after presenting Gary Cahill with a memento to mark his 50th cap.

Butcher described the meeting as "a real honour" and also backed interim boss Gareth Southgate to be given the manager's job full-time.

Under-21 boss Southgate will take charge for his third game on Friday, after replacing Sam Allardyce on an initial four-match basis.

England then play Spain in a friendly on Tuesday, also at Wembley.

Butcher thinks Southgate has a future as England boss and says there is a "good buzz" around the squad at the moment.

"He fits the bill very well," Butcher told BBC Sport.

"He's been there as a player, which is not necessarily that important, but he has been involved with managing teams at international level, getting them ready for qualifiers and tournament games.

"He has dealt with a lot of the younger players in the England squad, too."

Beating Scotland will ensure England stay on course to reach the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia, but Butcher believes the current squad is still "gripped by fear in tournament football".

Under Roy Hodgson, they were eliminated at the group stage of the 2014 World Cup before losing in the last 16 to Iceland at Euro 2016.

"It is a transitional period for them," said Butcher. "They are still bearing the scars of the Iceland game and the scars of the last World Cup.

"Hopefully, Gareth will get the job and can settle things down. Beating Scotland could be a stepping stone to go forward and back into a position of strength."

Just need to accept that players we have currently aren't very good or if you want to be kind are lacking experience at this level the only thing I agree is the constant pressure on them isn't helping 1 bad game and you're out a national disgrace no matter what they do everyone just says they don't care or they're not trying which is boll*cks.

England players clearly care and they do try but they just don't know how to unpick teams who sit back and defend deep in numbers it's quite a hard thing to do it requires players who can commit defenders and beat them one vs one and we've got hardly any of them.

We also need to accept that the weaker nations have got a lot better the days of smashing countries by 3 or 4 goals all the time are over especially when it comes to away games.

I don't know what peoples problems are 3 games in 2 wins and 1 draw and 2 of the harder away matches ticked off if we played a settled side through qualifying then used it in the tournament we might do a lot better but there's always pressure to constantly change the squad because someones hit a bit of form for the club or a new kids come through.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:11 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Says a lot that I'm not even confident of getting a result against Scotland.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Welcome to Gareth Southgate’s England, then. Welcome to a new era of probable qualification followed by eventual tournament disappointment. Pumped, aren’t you?

Southgate has not yet been given the job on a permanent basis, but that is the likeliest outcome from beating Malta 2-0, Scotland 3-0 and drawing 0-0 with Slovenia. If it feels like the bar has been lowered so much that it’s knocking against the new manager’s shins, that reflects the smallest talent pool in England’s history. A man who was 20/1 for the job at the beginning of June is 1/20 come November.

Martin Glenn and Greg Clarke were desperately hoping for an uneventful, measured victory at Wembley in order to rubber-stamp their selection, and will have winced at the same defensive incompetence that should have brought defeat in Slovenia. Yet England’s three unanswered goals will prompt Southgate’s name to be written in pen. The bare minimum expectation has become achievement enough for significant promotion.

“He’s done all he can and I’m sure he’s the frontrunner,” said Wayne Rooney after Friday’s game. “From my point of view, he’s in pole position.”

Rooney’s right, too. A manager whose only tournament experience as England Under-21 manager was to finish bottom of their group and whose highest position in club management was 12th in 2006/07 before taking Middlesbrough down really is the leading candidate to take our national team forward.

This is not as an attack on Southgate as a person. He seems thoroughly pleasant and mild-mannered without a hint of controversy, crucial to the FA after Sam Allardyce’s pint-of-wine-or light-lagergate. England’s manager has the demeanour of a respectful young geography teacher, one who is friendly with his pupils without trying to be matey. In the kingdom of ex-players, there are few less likely to be described as ‘one of the lads’. That’s intended as a compliment.

There have also been flashes of colour amidst the general England grey. Southgate’s dropping of Wayne Rooney against Slovenia and surprising decision to start Daniel Sturridge over an unfit Harry Kane offered hope that we are not set for two more years of precisely what came before. The fluidity of England’s front four was also promising, while England’s full-backs clearly have licence to venture forward.

Anyone angrily disagreeing with Southgate’s appointment can only fall into one camp, those bemused why the Football Association have restricted themselves to an English manager. Having been allowed to spin round a globe, England took out their AA road map and pointed at Watford.

Determined to go English, the FA’s options were laughably slim. The highest-placed Premier League manager (Sean Dyche) has Burnley as the major club on his CV, while the only other three English managers in the Premier League are Eddie Howe, Alan Pardew and Mike Phelan. One wouldn’t want it, one is fighting to keep his current job and the other is in his first management role at the age of 54.

Still, that’s a fault not of Southgate but English football, and its governing body’s willful role in its own decline. The increased investment in grassroots football, academy systems and St George’s Park may well bear future fruit, but for now we’re forced to lie in the bed that others made. Last season only 31 percent of Premier League starters were English. Bournemouth, Norwich and Crystal Palace were the highest contributors to that total; none had representatives in England’s Euro 2016 squad. The England job has become an exercise in deckchair rearrangement.

Even if we did venture abroad, which coaches are demanding to take the job? International football is no longer the home of the best managers, eclipsed by the glamour and financial reward of the club game. Interest in the international game has never been lower.

None of this is Southgate’s doing. He is the effect rather than cause of an England funk that has stretched since Euro 2004, the last tournament when “we believe” was uttered with anything other than heavy sarcasm. England’s new manager is the poster boy for a support that has fallen out of love not just with its national team, but international football in general.

It’s impossible not to see Southgate as a continuation of a Roy Hodgson era that was so vehemently attacked after two successive tournament disappointments. England have their middle-of-the-road manager for their middle-of-the-road team in an increasingly middle-of-the-road version of the sport.

Daniel Storey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
John Stones gives Gareth Southgate the odd fright but the interim England boss will continue to encourage a defender who has the “perfect” teacher in Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.

Three months ago the 22-year-old swapped Everton for the Etihad Stadium in a £47.5million deal, making him the second most expensive defender of all-time.

It was a huge outlay borne of Guardiola’s belief in the talented defender, although there remains work to get the rough diamond sparkling consistently.

There were some unnerving moments from Stones as England overcame Scotland 3-0 on Friday evening, when attempts to play from the back at times got his team into trouble.

“For years we’ve talked about not being able to play out from the back,” interim England boss Southgate said in Stones’ defence.

“If we’re to be different, if we’re to progress, then we have to encourage players. But he also knows what I think of some of the things he did!”

He added: “I believe we have the technical ability. I think it’s decision-making, positioning, sometimes – recognition of the moments to really commit to it and the moments to maybe play past the first press. We want bravery, but not stupidity at times. We have to find that balance.”

Knowing when to clear the danger and when to play it out is key, but Southgate underlined how time is on the defender’s side.

Centre-backs do not tend to reach their peak until their late twenties and, in former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss Guardiola, he has a great tutor.

“What we’ve got to remember is he’s 22,” Southgate said. “In central defensive terms, it’s nothing.

“If we want to have a (Mats) Hummels, a (Jerome) Boateng, a (Gerard) Pique…

“I can remember managing a team against Pique at 22 when he played for Manchester United and he wasn’t the all-round real deal.

“I think he’s got the perfect manager to work with and to hone and for all of our defenders, that’s what we want to encourage.

“Anybody that’s seen the under-21s play knows how we believe is the right way to go forward.

“I wanted us (on Friday night) to be an England team that played with confidence and were prepared to use the ball even though it was a very intense and difficult atmosphere.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gary Neville has questioned the need for a Football Association selection panel as he feels they've already decided Gareth Southgate is their man.

Southgate looks to be in a strong position for the England manager's job after leading them to two wins and two draws during his time as interim boss, with the formal process to appoint the next manager beginning on Wednesday, as initially reported in The Times.

But the Football Association will be keen to get the right person for the job after Sam Allardyce's short reign and former Chelsea and England defender Graeme Le Saux is set to be consulted on his views, along with Howard Wilkinson.

However, the pair will not be part of the official selection panel, which will consist of FA chief executive Martin Glenn, chairman Greg Clarke and technical director Dan Ashworth.

Neville believes the FA are over-complicating the process.

"I woke up this morning and saw that a selection panel has been announced - talk about ticking boxes and making things more convoluted and difficult for yourselves," Neville told Sky Sports News HQ.

"Putting people on commissions that shouldn't be on it which then get forgotten about - I don't know why they do it.

"That panel wasn't in place three months ago. It wasn't there when the last manager was in place why is it now?

"In some ways it's a case of governance gone wrong. They think they need governance in place when in fact they don't.

"They just need to do their jobs and let the football people, who are good people with a good way of working, make the decisions.

"Unless they come up with a shock appointment - and that's not going to happen, they are going to appoint Southgate, that's a fact - why put a selection panel in place? It just doesn't make sense.

"I'm a little dubious about things like that. There will be people saying it needs to have an independent process - but if they wanted it, put in place four years ago."

Southgate's interim period at the helm ended with a 2-2 draw at Wembley in a friendly against Spain on Tuesday and Neville, who won 85 caps for England and was assistant manager to Roy Hodgson, thinks Southgate is the right man to take England forward.

"I do think he should get the job - he deserves it," he said.

"The fact he's gone through the right pathway with the under-21s serves him well. He knows the players, he knows the FA and he knows international football as he's been through it with the under-21s.

"He fits all the criteria.

"The job should be given to an Englishman - Gareth is the most outstanding candidate, irrespective whether England drew against Spain or even if they lost against Scotland."

Just give to to Southgate for this tournament he's shown he's capable of getting us to the tournament which is the target not sure the manager can make a difference to the bigger issues over why we consistently fail at tournaments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
England players have been banned by the Football Association from having nights off while on international duty.

The FA is looking into claims several players were out until late on Saturday night after Friday's 3-0 win over Scotland - less than three days before they drew 2-2 with Spain in a friendly.

Wayne Rooney apologised after pictures showed him at a wedding that night.

Meanwhile, the Sun claims up to 10 other players were at a nightclub drinking until 04:30 GMT on Sunday.

A statement issued on behalf of England captain Rooney, who had attended a wedding at the team's hotel, said: "Naturally Wayne is sorry that pictures taken with fans have been published.

"Although it was a day off for the whole squad and staff, he fully recognises that the images are inappropriate for someone in his position."

The FA, whose decision is not prompted purely by Rooney's night out, is not expecting to discipline anyone.

England's players, who will still have free time but not whole nights off, all reported back at 11:00 GMT on Sunday as they were instructed to, and attended training in the afternoon.

'All the legends you admire drank like devils'

When asked about the Rooney story, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he did not see a problem.

"I feel sorry for the players," he said. "We live on the sunny side of life, but in the end maybe it is a surprise there is a human being behind the kid.

"This generation is the most professional generation of footballers we have ever had - not only in England. All the legends you admire, they drank like devils and smoked like crazy and were still good players. Nobody does that any more.

"I've no idea where Wayne was but I'm pretty sure it was not that serious."

'He's suffered the consequences of the social media world'

Scotland and West Brom captain Darren Fletcher defended his former Manchester United team-mate in an interview with BBC Radio 5 live.

"The whole situation is very unfortunate," said the midfielder, 32. "I hear a lot about how professional footballers are detached from the public and they don't mingle any more. This circumstance shows why professionals are scared to do it. He's suffered the consequences of the social media world we live in. Players will be even more guarded now.

"People plaster you all over social media when you're kind enough to take pictures with fans.

"He holds his hands up. It's been blown out of proportion. That's not me defending my friend, Wayne Rooney, that's me defending most footballers who like to let their hair down. He's made a mistake but a genuine one in terms of trying to give a bit of time to fans when he was a bit worse for wear.

"He's the most down to earth guy you'll ever meet. If he gets the chance to socialise with normal people and his guard is down, he's probably let the guard down too far. He's almost been too approachable and down to earth."

It's shocking he's even had to apologise for being a little bit drunk on his night off especially when he reported for training the next day as requested it's such a non issue this wasn't the night before a big game it was after the game and might even be considered good for team morale.

The tabloid press in this country are the disgrace here not Rooney.

I bet the Rugby lads were out until the early hours celebrating their win on Saturday why can't the footballers do the same?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Agreed, the fact he's had to apologise makes me angry. What a load of bollocks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd of just told me PR people to say I'm hungover when they rang up asking for a comment.

I don't get why footballers are held up to other standards if they'd all snuck out and gone on the lash and missed training the next day then fair enough that's a problem but the fact seems to be that they had permission to go out and there's no suggestion that anyone missed the team meeting/training the next day.

Surely it's a good thing that some of the England players were happy to mix with members of the public and enjoy a celebration of someones wedding and even more annoying the person who sold those photos to the papers probably got about £50 for them.

If Rooney scores at the weekend I hope the players give him the dentist chair

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gareth Southgate will meet Football Association officials on Monday for what will effectively be his interview to become the next England manager.

Southgate completed an unbeaten four-game spell as interim manager after the departure of Sam Allardyce with a 2-2 draw with Spain on Tuesday.

He will hold talks and present his case to FA chairman Gregg Clarke, chief executive Martin Glenn, technical director Dan Ashworth and two other independent members of a panel, Howard Wilkinson and Graeme Le Saux.

The meeting is expected to take place at St George's Park and the final decision will be taken by Clarke, Glenn and Ashworth, with Wilkinson and Le Saux invited to give their input into the process.

The FA have previously stressed there is no time frame on the appointment and, at this stage, no other interviews have been lined up.

The organisation is determined not to be rushed into an appointment and wants to conduct a thorough process, although no other interviews are currently scheduled and Southgate is firm favourite to take over on a full-time basis.

He is ingrained in the FA system with his work as England under-21 coach and has impressed with his demeanour off the pitch as well as the manner in which he has taken big footballing decisions, including dropping captain Wayne Rooney for the World Cup qualifier in Slovenia.

Southgate has left England top of their World Cup qualifying group after victories against Malta and Scotland at Wembley and a goalless draw in Slovenia. He also presided over Tuesday's draw with Spain when the visitors scored twice in the closing moments.

England next play in March, with a friendly against World Cup winners Germany in Dortmund, followed by a home qualifier against Lithuania.

The FA will want Southgate to deliver his vision for England's future following a series of failures in major tournaments. There is also likely to be a review of his brief stint in control of the national team.

FA chief executive Glenn said after his final game in interim charge: "Clearly his candidacy has become much stronger. We just need to weigh up the facts and take time to make the right decision."

He added: "His candidacy is not just based on one or two matches, but because of what we've seen over the last couple of years.

"He's got renewed confidence and is a different manager to what he was two years ago. So it is not all about assessing him on a few games."

Analysis

Southgate has relished the role, looked comfortable in it and appears to be carrying the players with him. He is also steeped in the FA's ways from his time at St George's Park and in charge of England's Under-21s.

He has carried himself with maturity, says himself he has lived comfortably with the pressure, and proved he will make the big calls by dropping Wayne Rooney in Slovenia.

Yes, he is helped by a lack of serious, compelling alternatives who would catch the FA's eye but from the organisation's point of view what's not to like about Gareth Southgate in the current climate?

Just give him the job he's done perfectly fine in the 4 games he's had and there are literally no other candidates plus he's already involved in the England setup anyway from his time with the U21's just give him a contract until after the 2018 world cup see how things go and decide on the back of that what we're going to do.

One journalist has suggested that his first act as manager will be to strip Rooney of the captaincy now imo if you do that you might as well not pick him for squads going forward which I don't really have a problem with if he feels that Rooney's current form means he's not assured of being in the squad so therefore he can't be captain that's fine. If he does go down that road give it to Joe Hart not because he's a good captain but because he's probably got the most caps and he's assured of his place in the team so just try and take away some of the nonsense behind it.

Although that super injuction he has covering up a story might come up again. you've all got google so you can probably find out what it's about :thumbup: