Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slovakia vs England
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Injured Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster has been replaced by club-mate Alex McCarthy for England's World Cup qualifier in Slovakia on Sunday.

Uncapped McCarthy, 26, was called up after Forster, 28, returned to his club for treatment on an arm injury.

The ex-Crystal Palace keeper has played three times for England's Under 21s.

Joe Hart, on loan at Torino from Manchester City, and Burnley's Tom Heaton are the other goalkeepers named in Sam Allardyce's first England squad.

McCarthy joined Saints in the summer as deputy to Forster but has yet to feature in a game.

England squad

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Alex McCarthy (Southampton).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Michail Antonio (West Ham United), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Strikers: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City).

What do you think the starting XI will be?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Slovakia vs England
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hart

Walker Smalling/Cahill Stones Shaw

Dier Alli/Henderson

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Kane

THat's my guess for his starting XI I think he might play safe in midfield and go with Henderson over Alli but really if Alli is in the team it should be at 10 ahead of Rooney but we know Rooney will start.

I think at CB he'll put Stones in as he's surely got to start lookin forward but who partners him is a toss up for me I'd probably pick Smalling but his lack of football might mean that Cahill gets the nod.

I think Shaw will get a start ahead of Rose and Hart will keep the number 1 jersey but Forster should start the next game

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hart

Walker Cahill Stones Rose

Henderson Dier

Lallana Rooney Sterling

Kane

Hardly any change from the team that tanked at the Euros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Turgid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Always hard when the opposition show no attacking intent glad we broke them down in the end think Lallana has become a really solid performer for us.

Got to be pressure on Kane for his starting spot was awful again thought Rooney & Sterling were ok just think they should bite the bullett and play Rooney in midfield to get Alli/Barkley on the pitch.

I don't get why in the first game of the group Slovakia didn't come out at all against us why are teams so scarred of us? Or is it more the case that they know this tactic works against us if it wasn't for a shocking keeper they'd have got a draw.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sam Allardyce admits Wayne Rooney was allowed to play “wherever he wanted” in England’s 1-0 victory over Slovakia.

Despite being named as the No.10, Rooney often dropped deep, stifling England’s attack at times.

When asked about his position, the England captain told ITV: “That’s where Sam wanted me to play. We worked on it through the week.

“When the team was announced a lot of people thought I was going to play higher, but it suits me.”

However, when asked where Rooney fits in his team, Allardyce then appeared to contradict the player.

“Today Wayne played wherever he wanted to. He was brilliant and controlled midfield. I can’t stop Wayne playing there.

“We aren’t going to make a big deal about it, are we? It’s one players position.”

He added: “It was pretty nerve-racking at the end because the 10 men scenario meant we must win. We got what we deserved in the end and won in the last minute.

“Perhaps their keeper shouldn’t have stayed down so long. Theo Walcott’s was definitely a goal. We have dominated the game and got a very important win.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

His comments about letting Rooney play wherever because "he's got more international experience than me" are embarrassing to be honest. They've all got more experience than him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think things might have come across a bit different to how he meant them I think his comments about Rooney deciding where he wants to play was his way of saying Rooney had the freedom to go where he wanted to try to affect them game from his number 10 position.

The focus on Rooney is a bit ridiculous at the moment I thought yesterday he was ok he did come to deep but we didn't have a midfield playmaker in our 2 man midfield so at times he did need to come there to help play quick passes out to wingers. I'd say apart from that game vs Iceland he's actually in pretty good form for England but I do feel we should just play him as a midfield playmaker until Wilshere can prove his fitness to get another attacking player on the pitch in harder games against top sides you can play Rooney as the 10 but it a game where we have all the ball and need to break a team down having Barkley/Alli on the pitch as well will surely help.

The form of Kane is a bigger concern that's probably 5 or 6 games in a row now where he hasn't looked like scoring but the Rooney story is probably deflecting that attention away from him.

Rooney has become a bit like Beckham seems to be getting all the blame when others are culpable and it might be that he feels he has to sort out everyone elses problems because he's the captain when he should be just letting everyone get on with their job and b*llocking them when it isn't done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
"Wayne played wherever he wanted to," said Allardyce. "He did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play, but I was pleased with his performance."

Allardyce, who took over from Roy Hodgson in July, says he "can't stop" Rooney from dropping into midfield, adding the player has a "lot more experience at international football" than he does.

"It's not for me to say where he's going to play," said the former Sunderland, West Ham, Newcastle and Bolton boss, 61. "It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position and contributing."

I think he's trying to say Rooney had the freedom to go where he wanted but he was surprised at how deep he was going but he trusts him to get the job done and he did create a couple of chances with his passing. Rooney going higher up into the area where they'd suffocated any space with numbers probably wouldn't have made much difference he can't really hurt teams in that position anymore.

Something that stood out for me last night is we are rubbish at attacking set pieces I think the delivery was reasonably good but we don't have anyone who really attacks the ball on a corner. Think this is probably a personel issue more than a tactical thing but if we don't have guys who can attack the ball maybe we need to try and be a bit more clever on corners but our fans/media see a short corner as some sort of insult to ENGLISH football. From that squad you have to assume Cahill is the main threat so we maybe need to work on some set pieces designed to help him get free by blocking his markers.

I think the positive from last night is we didn't give up we kept going right to the end and eventually we got our break through at no point did we look like we were settling for a point we were always on the front foot we just struggled to break down a very resiliant defence. Think we do need to look to get more guys who can beat people 1 vs 1 in the side in these matches you look at the difference a player like Rashford made when he came on at the Euro and last night the chances we made were when people beat their man.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

My issue wasn't with Rooney. He was as average as the rest.

My issue is with the manager of England saying things like this and things like that he'll take a draw vs Slovakia. I don't like that attitude. I wouldn't like a Boro manager saying he'd be happy going for a draw against a similarly average side.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A new era but a familiar set of players, a surprisingly familiar formation, and a very familiar problem – what does Sam Allardyce do with the captain, Wayne Rooney?

The England manager had seemingly indicated Rooney would be deployed in his traditional position, just behind Harry Kane in a 4‑2‑3‑1 formation. It quickly became obvious Rooney was instead playing much deeper, tucked into a central-midfield trio alongside Jordan Henderson, with Eric Dier playing the holding role. It was, essentially, Rooney’s position from the European Championship in France.

Rooney believes that role suits him better at international level, and he concentrates mainly on switching play to the flanks, encouraging England’s full-backs forward with crossfield balls, which varied in quality. Allardyce said Rooney’s position was “wherever he wanted to be”, as if he had been afforded a completely free role. Throughout the first half England’s shape without the ball was that of a 4‑3‑3, meaning Rooney had much stricter defensive responsibilities than if he had played as the No10.

Rooney sometimes took up extraordinarily deep positions, at one stage dropping between England’s centre-backs and effectively becoming a sweeper. The main consequence was Harry Kane appeared extremely isolated throughout the first half, struggling to become involved in passing moves. The Spurs man’s movement in the inside-left channel was impressive, forcing the Slovakia captain, Martin Skrtel, into a succession of fouls that eventually resulted in his dismissal.

For all the talk of Rooney’s free role, Allardyce evidently asked England to reshape at half-time: the formation seemed more 4-2-3-1, with Henderson and Dier the midfield duo and Rooney supporting Kane. Raheem Sterling and Adam Lallana, the two wide players, also switched flanks.

Skrtel’s dismissal meant Allardyce changed things quickly, introducing Dele Alli for Henderson but deploying him just behind his Tottenham team-mate Kane. Rooney dropped in alongside Dier, effectively playing his third role of the game. Judging a performance against 10 men is difficult but England were reasonably impressive in the final half hour, with the full-backs pushing high up the pitch.

Lallana returned to the left, drifting inside alongside Alli to provide clever link play from between the lines. Theo Walcott was introduced on the right to go in behind the defence, something Sterling needs to incorporate into his game.

It was a typical Walcott performance: consistently dangerous runs and frustrating end-product, but he provided England with another dimension, testing Slovakia’s offside trap. Daniel Sturridge, who replaced Kane, was less effective.

Lallana was a fitting matchwinner. England’s brightest player at Euro 2016, the Liverpool midfielder plays the game in a different manner to his team-mates, making clever runs to facilitate passing movements, linking play efficiently and offering a quick turn to ease past opponents. The one thing lacking from his game is goals but here he repeatedly offered a threat, hitting a post before finally being rewarded with his late winner.

On the basis of the past year, it is Lallana whom Allardyce should build his team around – he, rather than Rooney, boasts the intelligence required for a free role.