Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: O'Neill's Irish Themed Football Team
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Giovanni Trapattoni has reaffirmed his commitment to the Republic of Ireland job after being linked with Inter Milan.

Real Madrid have confirmed they want Jose Mourinho as their new coach and he will be unveiled at the Bernabeu once they reach a contract agreement with Inter, with whom the Portuguese boss is contracted until 2012.

Trapattoni, who previously coached the Nerazzurri from 1986-1991, is among the favourites to succeed Mourinho but the Italian insists he has no intention to return to his homeland just yet.

The 71-year-old started a two-year deal as the Republic coach in 2008, signing an extension last year to 2012, and he feels he has unfinished business having steered Ireland to within a whisker of qualifying for this summer's World Cup finals.

"In Italy, no - not Inter," he told Sky Sports News. "Seriously, when I came here I had many options with teams in Italy.

"I am satisfied with this team. I think we still have room to improve with his team.

"I have spoken with (assistant coach) Marco (Tardelli) and we agree we (the Republic) are a good team.

"I see many international games and our discipline, our mentality and our attitude is very important.

"And also we have players with quality; we are not only a strong (physical) team."

Ireland were denied a place in South Africa in a controversial play-off with France.

They beat Paraguay 2-1 in Dublin on Tuesday and host another friendly against World Cup-bound opposition on Friday, England's Group C opponents Algeria.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Trapper Tony's All Irish
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:39 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
"I have spoken with (assistant coach) Marco (Tardelli) and we agree we (the Republic) are a good team.

Whilst I appreciate Lloyd Bridges and John Belushi's (that's who I think Tardelli looks like) optimism, I think we have the potential to be a good team with quite a few of the youngsters that are coming through but cutrrently I can only say we a the top end of Mediocre.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:09 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
John Belushi?! He looks nothing like him :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:17 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Serbinator wrote:
John Belushi?! He looks nothing like him :lol:

Probably not, but everytime I see him I think of Animal House (which might be James Belushi).

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:55 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
No, it is John Belushi in Animal House. Just imagine Trapattoni at a toga toga toga party :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:13 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think Ireland are capable of getting to a major tournament you showed over two legs against France that you're a match for them.

It just needs a little run where everything clicks and falls into place as you have a decent enough squad.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

JSP wrote:
I think Ireland are capable of getting to a major tournament you showed over two legs against France that you're a match for them.

It just needs a little run where everything clicks and falls into place as you have a decent enough squad.

I always fancy them to qualify for the euros when there's two auto slots. Wales won't qualify ever because rugby is their sport, Scotland seem to going the same way 9although they aren't good at rugby either!) and NI only have about 12 players and half of them abused the youth system then jumped ship before they were capped.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Scotland are concentrating on Curling :thumbup:

Yep Euro's is always a good shout especially after the seedings fiasco involved in the world cup playoff still don't think Platini got enough stick for that.

Seeding groups fair enough but if you can't win your group then it has to be a free for all imo.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Toast and Bananas wrote:
JSP wrote:

I always fancy them to qualify for the euros when there's two auto slots. Wales won't qualify ever because rugby is their sport, Scotland seem to going the same way 9although they aren't good at rugby either!) and NI only have about 12 players and half of them abused the youth system then jumped ship before they were capped.

Awww c'mon... The lads are playing where they are asked to play, it's not an abuse, half the time the IFA are picking players who are representing club teams in England's youth structures (Oliver Norwood as an example). The IFA are crying foul because they had high hopes for Gibson and Duffy, is it not their decision as to who they want to play for?

Devil_Spawn wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
<demands an All-Ireland team like the rugby.... and Nigel Worthington could make the tea :sulk: >

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:50 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
I think they've a good chance of making the Euro's especially with Trap in charge. They'll have learnt alot from the last campaign and will feel hard done by they didn't make it. A lot of good young lads coming through as eric says.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:05 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
<demands an All-Ireland team like the rugby.... and Nigel Worthington could make the tea :sulk: >

I couldn't be bothered travelling to Dublin and therefore am against it.

As for Ni, they never took players representing other countries. if a player doesn't intend to represent a country they shouldn't be in their youth team.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:08 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Resurrection Joe wrote:

Have you seen this?

Click The Link...http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

This is the sort of mentality we're (As a nation) currently trying to progress through. The very thought of something as progressive as an all ireland football team would have the populous reaching for their exorcism kits...

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

As for Ni, they never took players representing other countries. if a player doesn't intend to represent a country they shouldn't be in their youth team.

Whilst I see the travelling thing as restrictive I would hope the new FA would be able to play in more than one city in the country.

Also Maik Taylor? Not even Northern Irish.

EDIT to add: Oliver Norwood represented England in Under-age squads, as did Lee Hodson, both now play for Northern Ireland Under-21's with Norwood almost a shoe in for a full call up this calendar year.

As I say it's only because NI had high hopes for both Duffy and Gibson, who had been trained by their clubs for a number of years at no expense to IFA.

Devil_Spawn wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Could they not just alternate home games between Belfast & Dublin?

I'm not an expert in the whole relationship between Northern Ireland and the Republic but if they did join together in football like they have Rugby I'm sure provisions could be made to make sure everyone gets the chance to see the team.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:45 pm 
Major
Major

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

Fair enough about the all Ireland team, each to there own. Imo, it would make more sense and give us all a better chance to achieve something. Dublin is a hour and half away from Belfast. Maybe if they'd get a proper stadium in the north they could alternate games. But I realise there's politics wrapped up in this.

Gibson, Wilson and Duffy have been brought through the Utd and Everton youth set up. I don't think the IFA have had much to do with their development. Didn't Giggs play in the English youth team and went on to play for Wales?

One of the core principles under the Good Friday Agreement was to acknowledge people's national identity, these lads identify themselves as Irish and feel the Ireland team repesents them.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:44 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

breakingintoheaven wrote:
Toast and Bananas wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

Fair enough about the all Ireland team, each to there own. Imo, it would make more sense and give us all a better chance to achieve something. Dublin is a hour and half away from Belfast. Maybe if they'd get a proper stadium in the north they could alternate games. But I realise there's politics wrapped up in this.

Gibson, Wilson and Duffy have been brought through the Utd and Everton youth set up. I don't think the IFA have had much to do with their development. Didn't Giggs play in the English youth team and went on to play for Wales?

One of the core principles under the Good Friday Agreement was to acknowledge people's national identity, these lads identify themselves as Irish and feel the Ireland team repesents them.

But they knew they wanted to play for Ireland ten years ago so why string another team along is what I'm saying.

Rossi never intended to play for United States and told them this at young age so only ever represented Italy. Those guys could have done it too instead of pretending they wanted to play.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They're young professionals and take the it out of the footballing relm for a minute say you have the intention of working for Microsoft in your career but maybe when you start out they don't want you is it really wrong to go and work for Apple for 5 years to train yourself up then go back for the job at Microsoft if that's what you really want?

I know football especially in international terms carried a lot of emotional factors with it. Was Gibson even allowed to represent Ireland at schoolboy as I think the rules currently say you represent the nation where your school is hence why Giggs played for England despite the fact that he'd never be allowed to play for the national team.

How much money did they really invest in him the clubs probably paid for a lot of it and the parents probably paid for travel to and from matches. The only thing he's guilty of is denying the sub midfielder more chances of playing for his country.

If the choice is there why not take it we all like to think Football is pure but take Desially for example had the choice of Ghana his nation of birth or France his adopted nation. For Ghana he could of gone down as a legend for the national team but with France he got a world cup winners medal which one too you would be worth more.

It's a bit catch 22 for Northern Ireland the top players may continue to play for the republic because it gives them a better chance of qualifying which in turn further reduces the chances of Northern Ireland doing anything.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:51 pm 
Major
Major

Toast and Bananas wrote:
Toast and Bananas wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:

But they knew they wanted to play for Ireland ten years ago so why string another team along is what I'm saying.

Rossi never intended to play for United States and told them this at young age so only ever represented Italy. Those guys could have done it too instead of pretending they wanted to play.

Did they? How do you know they wanted to play for Ireland 10 years ago? How do you know Rossi hadn't considered playing for the USA?

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Did they? How do you know they wanted to play for Ireland 10 years ago? How do you know Rossi hadn't considered playing for the USA?

Trust me I would love to have Rossi in our side but he was fair to us. He played U-16s and 21s for Italy. Former manager Bruce Arena invited him to our pre-world cup camp in 2006 and he declined saying he only wanted to play for Italy.