Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: England U21 Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Roy Hodgson has called up eight new players for England Under-21s' friendly with Scotland on Tuesday.

Manchester United striker Jesse Lingard and defender Tom Thorpe and West Bromwich Albion forward Saido Berahino are included in a 25-man squad.

Goalkeepers Jonathan Bond of Watford and Sheffield United's George Long also win a first call-up.

Quote:
England Under-21s' eight new faces
•Jesse Lingard (Manchester United)
•Tom Thorpe (Manchester United)
•Saido Berahino (WBA)
•Jonathan Bond (Watford)
•George Long (Sheffield United)
•Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon)
•John Stones (Everton)
•Todd Kane (Chelsea)

Everton midfielder Ross Barkley and forward Newcastle forward Sammy Ameobi earn recalls.

Barkley has not played for the Under-21s since 2011 and Ameobi is named in the squad for the first time in two years.

Sporting Lisbon defender Eric Dier, who moved to Portugal when he was a child and has been on loan at Everton, steps up from the England Under-20 squad.

The final two new faces are Everton full-back John Stones and Chelsea defender Todd Kane, who is on loan at Blackburn.

Hodgson is taking charge of the junior squad until a successor to Stuart Pearce is appointed.

Pearce's contract was not extended after England lost all three games in June's European Under-21 Championship.

England Under-21s squad:

Goalkeepers: Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Sam Johnstone (Manchester United), George Long (Sheffield United).

Defenders: Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Todd Kane (Blackburn Rovers, on loan from Chelsea) Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jack Robinson (Blackpool on loan from Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Southampton), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United), Andre Wisdom (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur), Will Hughes (Derby County), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City).

Forwards: Sammy Ameobi (Newcastle United), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Thomas Ince (Blackpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Connor Wickham (Sunderland).

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: England U21 Thread
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Haven't heard much of this Tom Thorpe its all been about Lingaard.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Gareth Southgate appointed as new manager.

Don't really see a problem with him taking over

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I like the look of Will Hughes - would love him at Utd... but I heard he follows teh EDL on tw*tter :unsure:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Had a quick look on twitter doesn't look like he follows them anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
JSP wrote:
Gareth Southgate appointed as new manager.

Don't really see a problem with him taking over

Not the most inspirational appointment is it? I can't really see him doing any better than Pearce.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spawny wrote:
Not the most inspirational appointment is it? I can't really see him doing any better than Pearce.

The problem is no one who can get a club job is going to take the U21 job because it's not as prestigious and probably doesn't pay as well plus it's basically part time. I think the role should be given on a part time basis to the best young English manager.

International football is a totally different kettle of fish to club management what I see as important as an international manager is being able to get very quick clear instructions over to your players and those players respecting you enough to do what they're told. You also need to be able to coach yourself it's not like club football where managers like Redknapp/Fergie bring coaches in to do the coaching for them at international football I think you need to be much more hands on as you have such little time with the players.

Southgate as a player was club captain at 3 clubs Palace, Villa & Boro IIRC and as a manager he was in charge of a lot of young players at Boro where he had an ok start to his career keeping Boro in mid table. The club then had to make cut backs and his young side were relegated and he eventually lost his job.

I don't really see any harm in giving him a go if he does well at the U21 level give him the England job when Hodgson quits/gets sacked there aren't really any stand out English candidates.

Hopefully they're going to get the U21 structure sorted out players need to come through together as a team then go into the full side as a team. Players need to be able to go up to the main squad for games but they should also be stepping back down to play U21 football if they're not going to play. Now both teams train at St George's park there's no reason why when these teams meet up that some of the U21 lads can't join in with the first team training and vica versa.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Currently 1-0 up vs Moldova

If this is a sign to the future we'll still be able to boss Moldova at home in the future :thumbup:

Zaha hasn't really been to involved but Redmond on the other side causing a lot more trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

" Southgate as a player was club captain at 3 clubs Palace, Villa & Boro IIRC and as a manager he was in charge of a lot of young players at Boro where he had an ok start to his career keeping Boro in mid table. The club then had to make cut backs and his young side were relegated and he eventually lost his job."

Just for the record. He was shocking with our young players and off loaded some of best ones ASAP for hardly any money and didn't give many of them time on the pitch. James Morrison for example..one of our best at the time, fan favourite, now West Broms longest serving player.. And national team captain.. Didn't seem to be able to handle the youth. It's the main thing he did wrong. Great player, legend, manager? He did badly, no way around it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Just seen ex manager Stuart Pearce is one of the pundits on BT Sport.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stuart Pearce has accused Phil Jones and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain of "apathy", claiming they refused to be in his England Under-21 squad for the summer's Euro 2013 tournament. Pearce also hit out at Gareth Bale, accusing Real Madrid's new world record signing of crying off from Team GB at the London 2012 Olympic Games the night before he was due to be selected.

Pearce was replaced as England Under-21 manager by Gareth Southgate following a dire showing in the European Championship in Israel, where his side lost all three of their group games. After previously claiming some of the squad did not really want to be in Israel, he named Manchester United's Jones and Arsenal's Oxlade-Chamberlain as players who had turned down the chance to play at the tournament.

"In our wildest dreams do you honestly think that England or any nation in the world can turn up at a major tournament without six or seven – I think there were eight players with senior international caps – who could have played for the England Under-21s this summer?" he told Sky Sports. "The odd one was injury, [but] apathy played a big part of it – the Oxlade-Chamberlains of this world, the Phil Joneses, because they didn't want to come. Once they go through the golden ivory towers of the seniors they don't want to come and play with the Under-21s any more.

"There is no nation in the world that could suffer that. Until we solve that problem – however we solve it – [there will be no success]. If it's a case of stopping players going into the seniors because they don't want to step down, like the Spanish boys do and they're happy to do so, [then so be it].

"I don't want to speak out of school and speak out of confidences, but we had a situation with Gareth Bale. We were going into the Olympic Games, I've spoken to him seven months prior about going to the Games, I'm going to put the squad out on the Friday morning – on Thursday he rings me and says his back's not so good, he's going to have to pull out of the squad.

"He plays his first game for Tottenham pre-season the same day as we play our first Olympic game. We've got the brightest talent in Britain at the time didn't want to go to the Olympic Games. And he wasn't alone, by the way. There [were] a couple of others as well, because of the media hype that football shouldn't be in the Olympics.

"Now you ask the 23 players who went to the Olympics – you ask [Craig] Bellamy [Ryan] Giggs, ask players of that ilk what they felt about the Olympic experience and they'll say arguably it could have been the best experience of their life on a football pitch."

On the U21 stuff this is where the FA need to step in and say to the players you can go and play in the friendly in Brazil with the seniors but after that you're off to the U21 tournament but we'd prefer you to sit out of the friendly in Brazil and concentrate onthe U21 tournament.

We've got to start treating these tournaments more seriously it's slightly different for Spain & Germany because they have these huge player pools to pick from so they can hold players back or drip feed them in like Spain did with Martinez, Thiago & Mata in England we don't really have that as very quickly these young players become better than the players with the first team.

From what I understand the FA actually has the power to force players to turn up for these games and they maybe need to start being tougher with the clubs as these players aren't going to stop playing for England.

As for the last bit I'm sure the Olympics meant a lot to Bellamy but I doubt it even makes it into the top 10 for a player like Giggs with his multiple league titles and 2 European Cups.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pearce, sacked by the Football Association in the wake of England’s disastrous campaign in Israel, where they lost all three fixtures, hit out at Jones, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere in an astonishing outburst this week.

The former England defender went further with his criticism of those players who had progressed from the Under-21s to the senior squad by claiming they have no desire to return to the under-age team “once they go through the golden ivory towers of the seniors”.

Jones, capped nine times at under-21 level and eight times in the senior team, is understood to have contacted the FA to register his anger at Pearce’s comments.

Although legal action is not on the agenda, the former Blackburn Rovers player has made it clear that he expects an apology from Pearce, who was criticised by the FA in a statement released by the organisation on Wednesday night.

“The FA are disappointed with the comments of Stuart Pearce with regard to squad selection this summer,” the statement said. “Squads were selected for the summer tournaments and decided upon by the coaching staff, including Stuart Pearce.

"The players were then advised accordingly which squads they were in. It is unfair to criticise individual players. All selections were management decisions and were not taken by individual players.”

Pearce’s comments centre on his deep-rooted indignation at the failure of the FA to force clubs to release leading players for under-21 duty at major tournaments.

England’s failure at this summer’s tournament, with a squad shorn of many players with senior experience, was in direct contrast to the success of eventual winners Spain, who were represented by the likes of Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea and emerging stars such as Thiago Alcantara and Isco.

“In our wildest dreams do you honestly think that England or any nation in the world can turn up at a major tournament without six or seven – I think there were eight players with senior international caps – who could have played for the England Under-21s this summer?” Pearce said.

“Out of those 17, you talk about Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck, Jack Wilshere. The odd one was injury, [but] apathy played a big part of it – the Oxlade-Chamberlains of this world, the Phil Joneses, because they didn’t want to come.

"Once they go through the golden ivory towers of the seniors they don’t want to come and play with the Under-21s any more. There is no nation in the world that could suffer that.

“Our boys, for whatever reason, be it the power of the Premier League, the finance they get at such a young age, whatever it may be, there is a lack of real passion to want to play for your country no matter what. We have to solve that problem and give them international experience.”

In the months prior to the Under-21 Championship, however, former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson made it clear that the likes of Jones and Chris Smalling would be unlikely to play in the tournament, with the Scot insisting both needed a summer break to overcome injury problems.

Jones’s decision to pursue an apology from Pearce is based on the 51-year-old being aware of his unavailability, and the reasons for it, long before the squad had been announced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

England 5-0 Lithuania

Ravel Morrison & Berihinho bagged 2 each and Ward Prowse scored the other.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

England beat Wales 3-1 last night.

Nathan Redmond scored a hat trick although his 3rd might be taken away as it did flick of Berahino hand on the way in.

Jesse Lingard had a great game in the number 10 role really ran the show for England.

The best thing about watching the England youngsters is they all look comfortable on the ball and like the generation that have now pushed into the first team maybe we are finally starting to see the results of the changes in the way coaching is done in this country. The next step is getting these lads into PL first teams on a regular basis as I don't think there was 1 regular PL player on show last night as Redmond has been relegated to Championship with Norwich the only other one would be Ward Prowse who gets a fair few games at Southampton.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Everton boss Roberto Martinez does not think Ross Barkley will benefit from representing England at the European Under-21 Championships in June.

Midfielder Barkley, 21, has five under-21 caps but has played 10 times for Roy Hodgson's senior England side including three outings at the 2014 World Cup.

"I don't think other tournaments can be a positive for him," said Martinez, 41.

Ex-England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce was critical of being unable to take key players to the 2013 tournament.

Barkley, who now has 74 appearances for Everton, would rank among England's most important players for the competition.

He represented England in June 2013 under manager Peter Taylor at the Under-20 World Cup but quickly graduated through the ranks, making his senior debut three months later.

Martinez argues a return to a level below the senior team could prevent the development of other young players for England, but he expects to discuss Barkley's inclusion with England Under-21 boss Gareth Southgate.

"Those experiences at under-21 level are to prepare you for the senior level," added Martinez. "Once you get there I think you are blocking someone else's path.

"Ross has been full of terrific experiences, is growing all the time but it will be a decision based on what the under-21 manager wants to do.

"I've said many times it depends on the type of role, on what the season's been like for Ross. At the moment it's impossible to give a straight answer."

Germany's successful 2014 World Cup squad contained six players who were involved when they beat England 4-0 in the 2009 European Championship Under-21s final.

James Milner was the only England player from that game to play at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

I think you have to take it on a case by case basis if he's fit in the summer and the U21 manager feels he adds to the team then he should be called up and should be happy to do it. Going back to the U21 shouldn't be seen as a demotion.

He is not an established player in the senior team like say Wilshere, Welbeck, Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc who start on a regular basis he's a squad player so for me if they want him he should go.

Martinez obviously doesn't want him to go to keep him fresh for next season but these lads have got to get used to playing football in the summer an being able to perform in June/July for me it's good practise for them and it's the clubs who have the players 90% of the time who need to accomodate the needs of international players.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is planning talks with the Football Association to ensure striker Harry Kane does not suffer from burnout.

Kane, 21, could be called up by England for this summer's European Under-21 Championship finals.

He has played 39 times for Spurs this season, scoring 24 times.

"Maybe I would prefer that Harry has a month's holiday after the season to rest and recover his body and mind," Pochettino said.

"We need to arrive at a deal with the player and the FA.

"This is my opinion but I realise we need to support the national team and to take the best decision for us all. This is our concern - he is our player.

"The FA need the player to play but at the same time they are concerned about the development of their own young talent."

Kane has yet to win a senior England call-up, but is expected to be in Roy Hodgson's squad to face Lithuania and Italy later this month.

Former England Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce has claimed they do not give themselves a chance of winning youth tournaments because key players cannot be selected.

He could not select Jack Wilshere, Phil Jones, Danny Welbeck, Jack Rodwell, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Kyle Walker for Euro 2013.

However senior manager Hodgson has said he is keen for his young players with England senior experience to play in the European Under-21 Championship this summer.

If Kane wants an international career he has to make himself available and get the experience in the U21's he's not even played for the senior team yet his club manager is trying to make demands based on him getting into the Euro 2016 squad.

The difference with the players listed is I think all of them had played in an U21 tournament and a senior tournament so dropping back down probably wasn't the best idea but Kane has been part of the U21 qualification process so he should go with them if he's fit same goes for players like Luke Shaw.

If he needs a bit of a break next season as a result that is something both the club and national team need to manage through the start of next season international football is part of a professional players calender we can't keep taking these boys out of tournaments because clubs want them to have holidays.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City midfielder Tom Ince has told Gareth Southgate he does not want to play for England U21s.

Ince has been on loan at Championship promotion hopefuls Derby since the start of February, having spent the first part of the campaign with their bitter rivals Nottingham Forest.

The 23-year-old has also informed Southgate he does not wish to be considered for this summer's European Championships in the Czech Republic.

"It's very much Tom's decision,” Southgate said. “He's obviously been involved in the England U21 side for a few years now and he's had a couple of campaigns.

"He's decided at this moment in time he doesn't want to be considered for selection. It's disappointing, he's a good player, we've liked working with him.

“He's been a big part of us qualifying, but we wish him well. Hopefully it's a decision that works out well for him.

"From our point of view we've got real strength in depth, so we're not short of people to come in and perform."

Unless he has some sort of dual nationality I guess that's the end of his international career then as England won't forget something like this.

Seems ridiculous to me that a young lad wouldn't want to play international football especially when he's struggling to break through at a Premiership club.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Harry Kane is being lined up to play for England at this summer's European Under-21 Championship finals, which is viewed as the next stage of the striker's international development.

Although the England senior team have a European Qualifier against Slovenia on June 14, Under-21 boss Gareth Southgate believes Kane is more likely to be included in his squad for the tournament which starts in the Czech Republic just three days later.

In addition to the Slovenia qualifier, England also meet the Republic of Ireland in a friendly on June 7 but Southgate says he has already spoken to Roy Hodgson about taking the Tottenham forward to the U21 finals this summer.

Kane, who has netted 29 times for Spurs this season, made an explosive start to his senior international career by scoring a goal within two minutes of making his debut as a second half substitute against Lithuania at Wembley on Friday.

Southgate said: "Roy and I know that the seniors are in a good group position and he feels that the experience of going to the Czech Republic in the summer will be more beneficial to Harry than the two games he has got.

"That is absolutely the case regardless of his displays between now and then.

"We are not short of good players in the seniors but understandably for Harry to be there this time, against Lithuania, was merited.

"We still feel we can give the players the best possible preparation to go into the seniors and achieve success if they have got the experience of the European Under-21 Championship behind them. That is still the case with Harry."

I think for those lads who haven't been to an U21 tournament before then it's worth going as they need to experience some tournament football just hope England don't flop like they did last time.

Not sure about the boys who went to the World Cup and played like Sterling dropping down but Stones, Barkley & Shaw could easily drop in to the U21's if they're fit at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It would be a "national disgrace" if clubs stopped England's best youngsters playing at the 2015 Under-21 European Championship, says Gary Lineker.

The U21 side beat Germany 3-2 in a warm-up for the summer event, which is being held in the Czech Republic.

Lineker thinks England could go on to win the Euros - but only if they have a full-strength squad to pick from.

Harry Kane and Ross Barkley could both feature for the U21s but there are fears their clubs could block call-ups.

Spurs are due to play Sydney FC in Australia at the end of May, less than three weeks before England's first U21 championship game against Portugal on 18 June.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez said recently that midfielder Barkley would need a "proper break" in the summer.

"If clubs try to pull their players out, it would be a national disgrace," tweeted ex-England striker Lineker. "England beat Germany. Add a few from the seniors and they could win Euros."

Kane, who has scored 29 goals for Spurs this season, helped the U21s qualify for the Euros but was recently promoted to the senior squad.

He scored on his debut against Lithuania last Friday and will start Tuesday's friendly against Italy in Turin.

England then have a friendly against the Republic of Ireland on 7 June, followed by a Euro 2016 qualifier in Slovenia on 14 June.

England boss Roy Hodgson believes Kane should play for the U21s in the Czech Republic, rather than be part of the senior set-up.

However, he suggested last week that Tottenham's commercial interests could stop Kane from playing for the U21s.

"We still feel we can give the players the best possible preparation to go into the seniors and achieve success if they have got the experience of the European Under-21 Championship behind them," said U21 coach Gareth Southgate. "That is still the case with Harry."

Southgate has already resigned himself to being without Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling.

"Realistically, Raheem has become a very important player for the senior team and for Liverpool," said Southgate. "I'm not convinced another tournament in the summer would be right for him."

Lineker says he is "baffled" by the stance Premier League clubs have towards the international game and believes a successful national side would have a "massively positive impact" on English football's top flight.

The lads that played the qualifiers should make up the bulk of the squad but a few more experienced lads dropping down who need the tournament experience like a Barkley & Kane is a good idea imo. Barkley, Shaw & Stones all went to the WC but hardly got any minutes on the pitch but they would be good players to have in the squad.

Sterling is different he's now an established first choice player for the senior team and therefore shouldn't be dropping back down to the U21's but Liverpool need to take better care of him next summer and not burn him out so he's ready for the Euro's.

Not sure the clubs can block a call up anyway as it's an international tournament so they have to release players if Spurs really care about the well being of Kane they wont fly him half way around the world for a money spinning friendly when he could have a break before the U21 tournament.

All these arguments prove is that regardless of what Dyke has planned the clubs will just do what suits them as they have no interest in helping a players international career they'd probably prefer it if they didn't play internationals at all.