AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roy Hodgson Engwand manager
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has been left out of the England squad for the Euro 2016 qualifiers against Estonia and Lithuania.

Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli, 19, and Reds forward Danny Ings, 23, have received their first senior call-ups, having represented England Under-21s.

Sturridge, who has just recovered from a hip injury, scored twice in Saturday's 3-2 win over Aston Villa.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers said he could not manage both England games.

Also returning to the squad are Southampton defender Ryan Bertrand, Manchester United's Phil Jones and Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana, who missed September's matches against San Marino and Switzerland with injury.

England have already qualified for next year's European Championship in France.

In their final two group games they face Estonia at Wembley on 9 October and then Lithuania away three days later.

England manager Roy Hodgson is expecting Sturridge to be back in his squad for friendlies against Spain and France in November.

"The best way to have him for November is to leave him out for October," said Hodgson.

"We can survive without him for the next two games. Our hope is that he will come to us in November super-fit, fully recovered and in great form."

Alli signed for Spurs from MK Dons in February, ending the season on loan with the League One side.

In August he made his Spurs debut - his first of eight appearances so far - and last month won his first England Under-21 cap.

Ings, who was at the European Championship with England Under-21s this summer, joined Liverpool from Burnley in the summer and has scored twice for the Reds.

Hodgson added: "We have been impressed with what we have seen of Alli. We are a year away from France and it is a good opportunity for him to come with us and get to know him better, he is an exciting talent."

'Grealish made the right decision'

Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish, who has opted to play for England rather than the Republic of Ireland, was ineligible for selection as he is awaiting international clearance.

The Birmingham-born 20-year-old played for the Republic up to under-21 level but turned down a call-up to the senior squad for a friendly against England in June.

England asked Villa if Grealish could train with the squad but his club boss Tim Sherwood requested he stay with them to regain full fitness.

Hodgson said he was "pleased" Grealish had chosen England, but warned the midfielder he would not be an automatic pick.

"I am happy he took the bolder choice to play for England. I think he has the talent to be an England player but he has a lot of work to do before that day happens. There is no doubt he has the talent but he needs to confirm that talent to play week after week for Villa in the Premier League."

Shaw would have been best left-back at Euros

Bertrand will replace Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw, who is expected to be out for six months after breaking his leg in the Champions League defeat by PSV Eindhoven on 15 September.

Hodgson, who described the injury as "heartbreaking," said: "I had really high hopes for Luke in 2016. We were punting on him to be the left-back for us and maybe the best left-back in the tournament."

Lithuania experiment

England have won all eight qualifying games so far, but Hodgson said he may use the last group in Lithuania to "experiment" with his starting line-up, even if it costs his side their 100% record.

But he said he will name strong teams for friendlies in the build-up to the Euros in November and March.

England lost to Chile and Germany in warm-up matches before the 2014 World Cup.

"I am pleased with my squad. I would like to win both games but the one in Lithuania is where I will experiment or make changes.

"It might damage our chances of getting a perfect 10, but I am prepared to take that risk. As we go into friendlies in November and March I want to work with players more likely to start in June and not experiment, which cost us after qualifying for the last World Cup."

Liverpool luck out

BBC Sport chief football writer Phil McNulty: "Liverpool manager Brendan Rogers will be pleased with two aspects of England manager Roy Hodgson's latest squad - no early recall for Daniel Sturridge and the first call-up for fellow striker Danny Ings.

"Rodgers is determined Sturridge's return from long-term injury problems will not be rushed, a position understood by Hodgson as he is in no hurry with England already qualified for Euro 2016.

"The call-up for Ings is reward for his energetic displays that have made him one of the plus points in Liverpool's indifferent start to the new season.

"And as Hodgson starts to look at his options for France with qualification secured, it will be intriguing to see how 19-year-old Spurs midfield man Deli Alli acquits himself. There is a lot of excitement surrounding the youngster, who has been handed a chance to stake his own claim to be at the Euros next summer."

Who's in the squad?

Goalkeepers:
Jack Butland (Stoke City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders:
Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton)

Midfielders:
Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Forwards:
Danny Ings (Liverpool), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Kyle Walker and Andros Townsend have been called up to the England squad after John Stones pulled out through injury.

Stones missed the last two Everton games after suffering a knee injury in their Capital One Cup win over Reading on 22 September.

Roy Hodgson named Stones in his squad for the upcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers against Estonia and Lithuania when it was announced last week, but on Tuesday night the Football Association confirmed the 21-year-old had withdrawn.

“Everton defender John Stones, who missed the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park on Sunday, has been ruled out due to injury,” an FA statement read.

The FA confirmed Tottenham duo Walker and Townsend had been called up as a result.

Walker has not played for England since the 1-1 draw in Italy in March, while Townsend last featured in the victory over Slovenia four months ago.

The FA also confirmed captain Wayne Rooney, first-time call-up Danny Ings and Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey did not train at St George’s Park on Tuesday.

“They will be monitored ahead of Friday’s meeting with the Estonians,” the FA said.

More than 75,000 fans are expected to attend Friday’s game - the last qualifier at Wembley.

Hodgson’s men will then fly to Vilnius to take on Lithuania three days later.

England have already qualified for the tournament in France after winning all eight of their matches so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Roy Hodgson has said he will select in his Euro 2016 squad only players who have proved their fitness and can play a number of matches in a short space of time.

England are severely depleted by injuries for the friendlies against Spain and France in the next few days, with Danny Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge and Jack Wilshere among those absent. Hodgson, whose side won every match during qualifying, could use Friday’s trip to Alicante and the following Tuesday’s match against Les Bleus at Wembley as an opportunity to test his fringe players.

The England coach believes Welbeck, who had a knee operation in August on an injury the Arsenal forward sustained in April, and Sturridge, who has played only three times for Liverpool this season, will return to form and fitness before the tournament. But Hodgson warned that only fully fit players will be selected. “We will be thinking about their ability to play a number of matches in a short space of time, because that’s something that we always do. We know what tournament football is, we know what the demands of tournament football are, and we will be thinking about those things.

“They must be absolutely devastated to be in such a good moment in their careers just before the summer, in March for example, when Sturridge had come back from a long-term injury and Welbeck had got a move to the Arsenal and done so well. We hope they’re going to be back – Daniel before Danny. We know Danny will be back in the new year.

“Are we going to take a player to the tournament who’s virtually not played any football, but because he’s a talented player and might just become, in some miraculous way, capable of playing football? It’s unlikely.​ But the next question is, what do you mean by a number of games?”

Asked if Sturridge, who had surgery on his hip in May, could play a number of matches in a condensed period, Hodgson said: “I think you’re judging someone there. That would be a harsh thing to do, to judge someone whose performances merit his inclusion.

“I hope that I would judge it on merit. Obviously, with all our players we’ll be having very detailed conversations with the clubs, with the managers in particular, with the medical staffs. We’ll be getting as much information as we can when it comes to players like Daniel, who I’ve worked with now for the last three years.”

Hodgson remains hopeful of arranging an England squad meet-up in the new year to provide extra preparation for the European Championship. However, he admitted that Premier League clubs will ultimately have the final say on the matter, with any decision likely to be made after the Euro 2016 draw, which is on 12 December in Paris.

“If the Premier League teams who own the players, if you like, and pay the players are prepared to sacrifice an evening or two to let us have a get-together with the players and remind them of what we’re trying to do and get them to put an England hat on for an afternoon or evening, that would be great,” said Hodgson.

“If it’s not possible, I’ve accepted it for many, many years and I’m not staking any claim. If it can be done and the Premier League clubs are willing to accommodate us, then we would be more than happy to do that. I’m not prepared to make a fuss about it.”

England squad: Goalkeepers: Butland (Stoke), Hart (Man City), Heaton (Burnley); Defenders: Bertrand (Southampton), Cahill (Chelsea), Clyne (Liverpool), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jones, Smalling (both Man Utd), Stones (Everton), Walker (Tottenham); Midfielders: Alli, Dier (both Tottenham), Barkley (Everton), Carrick (Man Utd), Delph (Man City), Lallana, Milner (both Liverpool), Shelvey (Swansea), Sterling (Man City); Forwards: Kane (Tottenham), Rooney (Man Utd), Vardy (Leicester).

I just hope that we have a go when we get there we were to defensive in 2012 & 2014 lets go with confidence we can beat teams.

Plenty of young talented players in this squad with a few of the more "senior" guys potentially to come back like Sturridge, Wilshere, Henderson, Walcott, Welbeck, Baines & Jagielka as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Midfielder James Milner will miss England's friendlies against Spain and France after failing to shake off a hamstring injury.

Head coach Roy Hodgson will not call up a replacement for the 29-year-old, who also missed Liverpool's defeat by Crystal Palace on Sunday.

His absence increases Tottenham pair Dele Alli and Eric Dier's chances of making a first international start.

England play Spain in Alicante on Friday and France at Wembley next week.

Injury has already deprived Hodgson of Everton defender Phil Jagielka, Arsenal pair Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Liverpool forward Danny Ings.

Hodgson's side secured their place at Euro 2016 with 10 wins from 10 matches.

England squad to face Spain and France
Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Was listening to the podcast you recommended JSP and they were talking about Hodgson doing us a favour. Could he drop Rooney and tell him his current form simply isn't good enough to get in the side with the way Kane and Vardy are playing? And would that give Rooney the kick up the backside he requires.

Be interesting to see what players he goes with in these friendliest is there much point in starting Rooney he knows what he has to offer. Give Kane and Vardy a game each against the two top sides.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Was listening to the podcast you recommended JSP and they were talking about Hodgson doing us a favour. Could he drop Rooney and tell him his current form simply isn't good enough to get in the side with the way Kane and Vardy are playing? And would that give Rooney the kick up the backside he requires.

Be interesting to see what players he goes with in these friendliest is there much point in starting Rooney he knows what he has to offer. Give Kane and Vardy a game each against the two top sides.

If Walcott was fit judging by the way him and Kane worked together in that last game I'd consider it but he's England captain we had it with Gerrard and to an extent Beckham when you're England captain you have to play because the manager can't afford to handle the backlash of dropping you. It's also dropping the countries all time top goal scorer.

There are serious questions to be answered over his performances for club and country at the moment does is he the best option for both.

When all the strikers are fit Walcott, Welbeck, Sturridge, Kane, Rooney you would say are the 1st 5 add to that your wildcard guys like Vardy & Carroll would Rooney make your first choice XI? You then have the number 10's for me Sterling & Barkley are both playing better than Rooney in that position as well.

The only way Rooney gets dropped is if the management changes after Euro 2016 and the new guy decides to drop him assuming he performs poorly.

Vardy for me deserves a chance from the start in one of the games probably the one at home to France. I expect Rooney to start both games in Spain he should start playing off Kane and vs France playing off Vardy.

Butland has to start one of these games we have to prepare just in case Hart is injured we need Butland to be comfortable in an England shirt we have something like 7 friendlies to play before the tournament starts imo Butland needs to start at least 3 of them as if you're picking the keeper on current for Butland would be neck and neck with Hart.

Vs Spain I'd go for we don't really have any wingers so I'd look to play a pretty narrow 4-3-3

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand

Milner Carrick Barkley

Rooney Sterling

Kane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Actually looking forward to this game more than any of the qualifiers. Spain feel they've got a lot to prove this is a New England team in many respects. Should be good!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United forward Jesse Lingard has been called into England's squad to face France at Wembley on Tuesday.

Lingard, 22, has made 11 appearances for England Under-21s but this is his first time with the senior squad.

United team-mate Michael Carrick and Leicester striker Jamie Vardy are both injured and will miss the match.

Carrick injured his ankle in Friday's 2-0 defeat by Spain, while Vardy is still troubled by a knock he sustained in Leicester's game against Watford.

Lingard made his debut at under-21 level as a substitute against Scotland in August 2013, when senior boss Roy Hodgson took charge of the team.

Having come through United's academy, he has played seven times for the first team, and had loan spells at Leicester, Birmingham, Brighton and Derby.

He scored his first goal for the Red Devils in the 2-0 victory against West Brom on 7 November.

good luck to Lingard but sort of sums up just how bare the cupboard is currently (mainly due to injury) that they've had to call up someone with less than 5 starts in the PL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Everton's draw with Tottenham at Goodison Park may not have brought a winner - but it will have given a warm glow to England manager Roy Hodgson.

As the year starts and the countdown to Euro 2016 begins, the young talent at Hodgson's disposal was glittering in the Merseyside deluge and brought rich praise from respective managers Roberto Martinez and Tottenham's Mauricio Pochettino.

Dele Alli (midfielder, 19)

The £5m Tottenham paid MK Dons to secure a teenager who made his Premier League debut at Manchester United looks more of a bargain with every passing day.

Alli has already won full England recognition and at Goodison on Sunday, the 6ft 2ins-youngster showed his versatility as well as his physical and footballing capability.

He has played in a variety of midfield roles for Spurs this season, such as further forward from anchor Eric Dier, but here he was pushed into the number 10 role with Mousa Dembele out injured.

Alli was willing to mix it in the physical exchanges. He showed his eye for a goal with brilliant control and a fine finish from Toby Alderweireld's pass for Spurs' equaliser on half-time.

He also showed he is forming a natural partnership with Harry Kane, which will be of great interest to Hodgson as he formulates his plans for France.

Spurs boss Pochettino has no fears about a heavy programme taking its toll on Alli, saying: "From the beginning we have taken care of him and if he keeps playing well there is no reason why it will be a strain for him."

Alli looks a certainty for England's squad and his midfield adaptability and rapid development, as well as an eye for goal that has already brought him five in the league this season, will make him a prize asset for club and country.

Ross Barkley (midfielder, 22)

Everton may have underachieved this season but Barkley continues to develop as one of his club's and England's most exciting talents.

Barkley's form dipped last season after the World Cup but, rested and rejuvenated, he was still going strong at the final whistle at Goodison Park, emerging with Romelu Lukaku as Everton's best hope for a winner.

He has struggled with decision making in the past but there is more measure in his play this season. As well as scoring six Premier League goals, he could yet emerge as the number 10 in England's plans for France.

Barkley is also becoming more of a team player and more reliable with his passing, while still retaining his eye for the unexpected, which will please Hodgson who has occasionally taken him to task for his wastefulness.

Everton boss Martinez has no complaints, saying: "This was Ross Barkley's most mature performance in three years. It was a really good game between two teams not afraid to invest in young players. Ross now fits into a structure - he plays in different roles and masters them."

Martinez occasionally errs on the side of hyperbole but there is no doubt that if Hodgson can find a way to harness Barkley's talent into his England side - and trust his game management against international sides of the highest class - he will increase his chances of success at Euro 2016.

John Stones (defender, 21)

The sight of John Stones gesturing to Everton fans gathered at the Park End to calm down demonstrated the youngster's confidence. It came after a heart-stopping dribble in and out of his own six-yard area while pursued by Spurs attackers in the closing moments.

It may occasionally be his downfall, and he might have done better when Alli collected a raking long pass from Alderweireld, but here Everton and England have a defender containing the perfect profile for modern 21st century football.

Stones not only went into battle with England colleague Kane but he was also prepared to step in and bring the ball out of defence in both halves - there is never a hurried clearance when the option to find a team-mate is on.

He has missed the influence of injured Everton captain Phil Jagielka, although this is no slight on Argentine Ramiro Funes Mori who played well against Spurs, and this has been a testing period as Martinez's side have leaked badly in conceding 29 goals this season.

Martinez said: "I thought John and Ramiro delivered a strong partnership and our defensive intensity was much better because we have been conceding too many goals at home."

Stones showed the class and composure that makes him England's most coveted defender and why Chelsea were prepared to pay up to £38m in the summer - and his importance to Everton means he will be going nowhere in January.

The Euros will provide the perfect showcase, although no-one should assume Everton will be tempted into a sale any more next summer than they were this summer, and he should be a certain England starter in France.

Harry Kane (striker, 22)

Not one of Kane's more fruitful days but he still rattled the post with a superb 25-yard angled effort early on, and it took a couple of desperate last-ditch tackles to deny him in the second half.

Kane never gives up the fight and has such a natural goalscorers' instinct that barely a game goes by without him getting a chance, hence 11 Premier League goals in 20 appearances this season.

With Wayne Rooney's days as a spearhead striker looking numbered and the fitness of Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge completely unreliable, Kane has every chance to carve a permanent place in Hodgson's Euro 2016 plans as well as help Spurs to at least a place in the top four.

Kane is part of the talented group Martinez believes can help England to make a real impact in the Euros.

Martinez said: "I think there is now such a good young group of players such as Ross Barkley, John Stones, Dele Alli and Harry Kane and they all offer something that is very, very different.

"It is important they play in games like this one. They can develop and it can be a learning experience. The talent is certainly there for England as they look ahead to the Euros."

I find Barkley a very strange player to watch I still can't decide if he's actually any good the one thing you'd say is he hits the ball fantastically his technique is brilliant, physically he's obviously very dominating and he now seems much better at keeping the ball he doesn't try needless dribbles anymore but I do wonder if he is actually that good a footballer. I think the way Everton play him really suits him he's sort of anchored to the left side of a 3 man midfield like Lampard was at Chelsea but he knows he has that security of Gareth Barry behind him if he decides to break forward as he's often miles out of position having tried to go and make something happen which is what you want from an attacking player.

As for Stones once he brushes up on a few bits defensively I think he's going to be some player yes he'll make mistakes and get caught out from time to time but he's so good on the ball and confident under pressure that look he gave the crowd when he was twisting and turning in his own box yesterday was brilliant.

As for the Spurs boys hard not to be impressed with Alli & Kane. Alli is playing the same way he was playing when he was in League One he's all action all the time doesn't get intimidated by the opposition and scores goals and Kane has had a fantastic 2015 and I'd say is arguably the best CF in the league Aguero's fitness is an issue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So with the strikers all fit again for the first time in god knows how long who would your attackers for the Euros be?

Rooney is nailed on to go as he's captain so really it's a case of picking your other 3.

Kane
Vardy
Sturridge
Walcott
Welbeck

If we're playing a 4-3-3 system which seams to be what he wants to do you can probably pick 6 attacking players.

3 keepers
8 defenders
6 central midfielder
6 wide/central strikers

If you take these 5 plus Rooney you have no place for players like Oxlade-Chamberlain for example.

If we are going to gamble on an injury prone player then surely it can only be one do you take Wilshere or Strurridge?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

At this moment in time

Walker Clyne Stones Jones Smalling Cahill Shaw Bertrand

Dier Henderson Wilshere Carrick Barkley Alli

Sterling Walcott Rooney Vardy Kane Sturridge

I think you can take both as neither make the starting 11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My worry with taking both is you potentially leave yourself short if both get injured and you'd imagine if Wilshere is fit enough to go he will start but he's not even fit yet so I can't see him going unless he comes back and has no problems between now and the end of the season. Not sure Shaw will be ready so I've assumed he's injured and will miss out.

Keepers ~ Hart Butland Forster

Defenders ~ Clyne Walker Stones Cahill Smalling Jagielka Bertrand Baines

Midfielders ~ Alli Milner Henderson Carrick Lallana Barkley

Attackers ~ Rooney Sterling Welbeck Vardy Sturridge Kane

Walcott/Oxlade-Chamberlain need to up their game as they've not been good enough I think he likes Lallana so he'll take him.

The big concerns in that squad would be the fitness of Henderson & Sturridge it's a decent enough squad but not sure it'll scare many of the other nations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
‘Is Sunderland’s Jermain Defoe in Roy Hodgson’s thoughts for Euro 2016? is the headline on one leading north-east newspaper’s website. ‘Is he f***’ is our immediate reaction. But we are willing to investigate further. ‘Jermain Defoe for England? They could do a lot worse’ is certainly a compelling argument but no, we shall celebrate the returns to form and fitness of Danny Welbeck and Daniel Sturridge and hopefully consign such nonsense to the delete button.

There are always those who plead for an England team picked purely on form. Disregard the last two years of preparation, disregard on-field partnerships, disregard tactics, disregard any notion of enduring class, Defoe/Danny Drinkwater/Scott Dann/Jason Puncheon/Jack Colback/Mark Noble (always Mark sodding Noble) has been absolutely brilliant this month.

These people dismiss Wayne Rooney and call for Jamie Vardy to play in his ‘proper’ place as an out-and-out striker, ignoring the fact that England have cruised to European Championship qualification using an entirely different system to Leicester. If England were planning to have 35% possession and play an awful lot of long balls into the channels, then Vardy would be perfect. Unless Roy Hodgson is planning a curious kind of incredibly risky revolution, that seems highly unlikely.

There are those who will be genuinely flabbergasted and splutter about big-club bias if Jack Wilshere returns to play five matches at the end of the season and is picked ahead of Drinkwater. Never mind that Wilshere was man of the match six times over in Euro 2016 qualifying, he is an overrated crock and Drinkwater – who could have been a Pointless answer to a ‘Manchester United Academy graduates’ question a year ago – has been brilliant all season (or at least in that five-minute highlights package on Match of the Day).

If you are in the ‘temporary form is class’ brigade, you will be terribly disappointed when Hodgson names his squad. You will mutter ‘same old, same old’ when looking at a list of players who have been consistently winning games for England since the World Cup. Yes, same old, same old best English players available to Hodgson. Same old, same old players who know England’s system, Hodgson’s methods and each other’s games.

“We’ve had time to see a lot of players in the qualifiers because we’ve had so many injuries to contend with,” said Roy Hodgson in October. “Now we are going to concentrate on a core group who, if they’re all fit, will be with us in France next summer. The November games won’t be a moment to give someone a chance just because he’s scored a goal on a Saturday. People will have to work very hard to break into the group now.”

A month later – when injuries forced him into call-ups and he chose the youth of Jesse Lingard and Ryan Mason when pundits were calling for Jason Puncheon and Noble (of course) – Hodgson was banging the same drum: “I didn’t want to turn to an individual for one game who would not have a chance again in the future.

“That explains the inclusion of Jesse Lingard and when we lost Delph we turned to Ryan Mason, because we’re pursuing a policy that we set out some time ago and we are trying to stay faithful to it.”

That policy is clearly only to call up players who have the potential to be England players over the next six years rather than six months. Is Mason better than Noble right now? No. Will he be better in 2022? You would like to think so. Thankfully, that rules out Defoe, defying those who blindly point to a list of top scorers and declare that he is the third Englishman behind Vardy and Kane.

We have consistently – to the annoyance of many – predicted in our England ladder that Welbeck and Sturridge will go to Euro 2016 if fit. We have consistently picked them ahead of Vardy, even when he was on the verge of making history. I am personally convinced that Hodgson would prefer not to take the Leicester striker at all, but his tally has now passed the point at which it is worth the uproar of leaving him at home. “He should be happy at the moment to be in the squad,” is a telling quote.

The last England team picked by Hodgson boasted no player bar Rooney with more than three international goals. And that is why Welbeck with his 14 goals in 33 games is a welcome returnee even if he plays only from the bench in Arsenal’s run-in. It’s why Daniel Sturridge – surely the most gifted English striker of this generation – is worth the risk if he can somehow get to the end of the season without further injury.

To put Welbeck’s statistics into context, Olivier Girioud – an out-and-out striker – has scored 13 goals in 45 games for France; Pedro – often played wide like Welbeck – has scored 16 goals in 55 games for Spain; Eden Hazard has scored just 12 in 62 for Belgium. And yet if Charlie Austin scores six goals between now and the end of the season, Hodgson will be ‘snubbing the in-form striker’ when he inevitably ignores him in favour of a player whose contribution for Arsenal this season is likely to be filed under ‘cameo’.

In Winners and Losers, Daniel Storey listed 20 English players who started for a top-six side this weekend, which bodes incredibly well for the future. But it’s two attacking players who don’t meet that criteria who will have cheered Hodgson this weekend. Welcome back Danny. Welcome back Daniel. Jermain Defoe for England? They could do a lot better.

Sarah Winterburn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Theo Walcott
The perfect embodiment of modern-day Arsenal. Theo Walcott is in the midst of his 11th season as a professional footballer, yet his best position on the pitch is yet to be discovered. He turns 27 in just over a fortnight. He had 17 touches against Manchester United on Sunday; his replacement Olivier Giroud had 15. Walcott made nine passes; Giroud made 14 in his 27 minutes to Walcott’s 63. Only Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are paid more at Arsenal. The roll of dishonour is endless.

Walcott has designs on playing as a central striker. He has reached double figures for goals in just one of his ten full Premier League seasons. He has scored fewer goals this season than Christian Benteke, Bafetimbi Gomis and Aleksandar Mitrovic. And Scott Dann. He has scored the same number of goals as Diumerci Mbokani, Rudy Gestede, Wilfried Bony and Steven Fletcher, having featured considerably more often. He has scored three goals in nine starts as a central striker; Giroud has 13 in 25. He has six goals in 30 appearances in all competitions this season, a tally he reached in 18 games in 2013/14, and one he bettered in 21 games in 2014/15. Only his first four campaigns as a Gunner yielded a better goals-per-game ratio than this season. Yet he is the starting striker for a team with Premier League title aspirations. How?

Jordan Henderson
For ‘Theo Walcott’ read ‘Jordan Henderson’, and for ‘Arsenal’ read ‘Liverpool’. Henderson personifies all that is wrong with this current Liverpool side. He is the 7/10 player leading a 9/10 club.

Henderson has made 151 Premier League appearances for Liverpool. Some notable moments aside, his progression has been negligible. Only two current players, Lucas Leiva and Martin Skrtel, have more appearances for the club, and Jon Flanagan is the only other player to have featured in the first team prior to the Henderson era. He is one of the Reds’ most experienced players, but an on-pitch leader in name only.

“I’m just very proud of all of my team-mates and I feel as though they will learn from this experience. We left everything out on the field, and that’s all you can ask,” said captain Henderson after Liverpool’s Wembley heartbreak in the Capital One Cup final on Sunday. The 25-year-old had 107 touches in that game, the most of any player. It talks like a Steven Gerrard, it attempts to play like a Steven Gerrard, but it ain’t no Steven Gerrard.

Phil Jones
“Arguably, the way he is looking, he could be our best ever player.”

The famous words from Alex Ferguson have been a weight around the neck of Phil Jones since they were uttered in 2013. No wonder he pulls those bloody silly faces.

Injury problems and managers insistent on utilising him in a number of different positions have played a part in Jones’ lack of progression since joining United from Blackburn in 2011. Whether Louis van Gaal, Jose Mourinho, Ryan Giggs or A.N Other ascends to the Old Trafford throne in the summer, it’s difficult to envisage a scenario whereby the 25-year-old is a first-team regular. Signed one year after Chris Smalling, Jones was always considered the superior prospect of the two. But Smalling has since become the club’s most accomplished defender, while Jones is behind midfielder Daley Blind in the central defensive pecking order. Not quite the next Duncan Edwards.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
‘Four years after joining Arsenal, we’re still waiting for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s breakthrough moment. He needs starts, and fast…’ was the assessment from Daniel Storey in October. The England international had no goals or assists in just 254 minutes of Premier League football. Fourteen games and 667 minutes later, he has one goal; the assists tally remains untouched. As a result, the 22-year-old has contributed directly to a goal just twice in his last 39 league games. Joel Campbell has surpassed him in terms of squad placing, and Alex Iwobi could soon follow. It is no wonder the club are reportedly willing to listen to offers in the summer. If Walcott is frustrating for Arsenal fans, Oxlade-Chamberlain’s stagnation must be unbearably disappointing.

Jack Rodwell
February 21, 2010: Rob Draper of the Daily Mail dubs Jack Rodwell the ‘new Wayne Rooney’.

July 25, 2010: Everton team-mate Landon Donovan describes Rodwell as “the future of England”.

November 17, 2011: Jeremy Wilson writes how Rodwell had “come of age” on his England debut.

The subsequent story is oft-told. Rodwell joined Manchester City for £12million in August 2012. The fee could rise to £15million, reports said. Suffice to say it did not. The midfielder made 25 appearances in two injury-riddled seasons, and now finds himself at relegation-embattled Sunderland. Once England’s Next Big Thing, the man who turns 25 in under a fortnight has started just five Premier League games for a Sam Allardyce side this season. Time to hit the road, Jack.

Matt Stead

Interesting reading as all these were tipped for the very very top just shows how quickly things can change the important thing with all of these (apart from Henderson) is the never ending niggly injuries that stopped any of them holding down a regular starting spot after a big money move.

Henderson until this season hadn't really had injury problems Rodgers was actively trying to sell him to Fulham IIRC in summer 2013 but the deal didn't happen and Henderson had his break out season as Liverpool nearly won the title and 12 months after that he was made club captain. Now comes the injury curse apparently he has a long term heel problem that the club don't know how to solve.

In terms of England the only one who consistently looks good for England is Oxlade-Chamberlain who when fit has often played well the others have never really convinced in the England colours. There are some rumours that Arsenal might move him on this summer as they've pretty much given up with him as he's injured again he probably needs a year on loan at a club like Stoke/West Ham/Southampton who might be able to give him a consistent run of games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Danny Rose is targeting a place in Roy Hodgson's next England squad after a "shock" invitation to a team meeting in February.

The Tottenham left-back revealed he almost missed out on last month's gathering at St George's Park because the FA had the wrong phone number for him.

Rose was a regular for England U21s and played four out of five of Great Britain's matches at the London 2012 Olympics, but despite several call-ups to the senior squad he is yet to win a senior cap.

However, he is hoping his excellent form for Mauricio Pochettino's title-chasing Spurs can win him a place for this summer's European Championship finals in France.

Rose said: "I changed my phone number last year, and the lads were talking about the meeting and I didn't know anything about it.

"The day before, the people from the FA texted me and asked me if I was coming, and I was like, 'what meeting?'

"It was a big shock for me. For other players it might have just been a meeting, but for me it was a lot more. It shows I am maybe in the plans.

"I was over the moon to be included and I think I'm in their plans, at least a little bit. Even if it is a small part, it was a big bonus.

"I'm 25 and have not made an appearance yet for my country, but that's the aim for everybody. Hopefully I can keep playing well until the next time England meet."

Rose has been rotated regularly with Ben Davies at Tottenham this season, making 21 appearances, but insists he has no issue with Pochettino's policy.

"There will be games where the gaffer thinks Ben will be able to do better than me and vice-versa," he added. "I've got no problems with it."

Based on current form I'd probabl take Rose & Betrand as the 2 LB options. Shaw is injured, Gibbs isn't playing for Arsenal & Baines hasn't really been at his best since coming back from injury.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
England squad

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Carrick's ability to play himself out of an international squad in a tournament year can't be going un-noticed but given his current form you just can't put him in.

Given his current for I think Lingard is unlucky to miss out probably for Walcott who's had a really poor season but Hodgson tries to avoid making to many changes if he can he tends to keep it settled until everyone pulls out injured.

Good to see 3 good first choice Prem Keepers in the squad as well all playing for teams in the top half (I'm assuming Stoke are can't be ar*ed to check)

Change Walcott for Rooney and that's probably the best we can take this summer as I doubt Shaw & Wilshere will be fit enough only other regular not in is Oxlade Chamberlain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tom Heaton called up to replace Joe Hart

Raheem Sterling also pulls out injured but haven't seen anyone called up as a replacement yet my guess would probably be someone like Lingard who was also called up to the last squad due to injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

At what point do we have to rule Wilshere out of the Euros?

With every week that passes without him returning surely they can't consider taking him it's probably the same for Shaw although he's had 1 bad injury rather than constant set backs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:12 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Very impressive tonight. Not great in the defence but midfield and up front looked excellent.

He needs to leave Rooney out of the lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It was a minor early skirmish but it rather summed up what England are becoming. This game was barely 18 seconds old when Dele Alli, just inside enemy territory, spied an opponent’s slack touch and snapped into the challenge, emerging unflustered from the tangle of legs to sprint off with the ball. Sami Khedira appeared utterly incredulous, glancing back at the No10 on the England player’s shirt as he readjusted his captain’s armband and, rather sheepishly, picked himself up from the turf.

His sense of indignation was clear. This was no way to treat a World Cup winner and a player whose glittering club career has taken in spells at Real Madrid and Juventus. Khedira had been seeking to ease himself into a friendly contest that Germany – a side boasting a quintet who had begun at the Maracanã in their starting lineup, with the imbalance in experience on show demonstrated by their combined 472 caps to the visitors’ 161 – must have anticipated winning with relative ease. Alli was playing in League One a year ago, and yet he had set the tone.

Roy Hodgson’s England trailed by two for a while but they still had the conviction and ability to recover, rally and ultimately rejoice. Eric Dier’s stoppage-time winner was merited. For long periods, they had overwhelmed a team who realistically aspire to win Euro 2016.

It was the attacking energy that had the manager purring. His youngsters offered up the impression of fearlessness in their urgency, swarming over more seasoned and decorated rivals from the outset as if reputations really did count for nothing. They pressed relentlessly, springing on the counterattack whenever the more composed German rhythm had been interrupted.

This was the kind of breathless football Jürgen Klopp is impressing upon the Liverpool contingent in their number and, more pertinently, Mauricio Pochettino encourages at White Hart Lane. With Danny Rose capped for the first time, marauding up the flank as he has done for Tottenham all term, 11 of England’s last 19 debutants have now spent time under the tutelage of the Argentinian at either Southampton or Spurs. It is starting to show.

It was easy to consider this an extension of Tottenham’s domestic excellence, and not just because Harry Kane’s goal sparked the English comeback that was complete when Dier thumped in the late header that had the locals pumping out Always Look on the Bright Side of Life over the public address at the final whistle.

Not since Izmir in 1987, and a goalless draw with Turkey, have the north London club had as many as four players in an England starting lineup and the youthful exuberance – and quality – on show here was as much a testament to the progress made by Pochettino’s team. Alli summed up the collective, whether he was ripping on to a wayward Antonio Rüdiger pass to prompt another counter, or emerging into space behind Khedira and Toni Kroos to pummel a shot over the bar.

He was annoyed with himself that he could not gain greater purchase on an awkward header when played through the middle, his effort gathered by a grateful Manuel Neuer, and even more infuriated when Jamie Vardy cut back from the byline only for the midfielder to skew his shot just over the bar. He should have secured his side’s victory, even if Dier would ensure there was no scowl on the teenager’s face by the end.

Hodgson had likened the 19-year-old tyro to a young Bryan Robson on the eve of the contest, which constituted huge praise indeed for a player making only his second start for his country. Perhaps the manager was surreptitiously patting himself on the back for selecting Alli back in the autumn when he had only seven top-flight games to his name, but that is the promise and potential the teenager possesses.

Heduly carried so much of England’s attacking threat to justify such hype. It was his shot that skimmed from distance early in the second period that Neuer did well to turn round a post, and Alli’s clever pass between back-tracking defenders moments later which invited Kane to bustle through. The forward, not for the first time, saw his sight of goal snuffed out, but the central supply line was clear.

Kane’s own rapid progress cannot go ignored. Two years ago he was considered merely as a promising under‑21 international. Twelve months later he was scoring within a minute of coming on for his senior debut against Lithuania. Now, bolstered by a second successive 20-goal Premier League haul, he is the main forward pivot in this side in the absence of Wayne Rooney.

It is no longer a surprise to see the young pretender turning so slickly away from Mesut Özil on the corner of the penalty area, “a little dedication” to Johan Cruyff apparently, and planting a shot into the far corner. That was his fourth goal over nine caps. Already the idea he would not start against Russia at Stade Vélodrome on 11 June is unthinkable.

The issue, of course, is that wide-eyed enthusiasm at one end of the pitch can just as easily manifest itself as naivety at the other. If Jack Butland was hampered by injury when beaten at his near post by Kroos’s effort for the Germans’ first, then Dier – a midfielder still learning his trade – and Nathaniel Clyne were culpable in failing to snuff out the threat at source. The ease with which Mario Gómez squeezed space from Gary Cahill to nod in the second was also troubling and achieving defensive surety from such an attack-minded squad over the summer is quite an ask. It is hard to imagine Joachim Löw’s team losing their focus from 2-0 up in a competitive fixture over the summer. A tournament will command proper resolve.

Yet, when a team can conjure rewards as jaw-dropping as Jamie Vardy’s flick, two minutes after his introduction, or the ambition to commit to a late corner in seeking to beat the world champions, then it is still worth rejoicing for now in the fearless, attacking energy of youth.

Hodgson may have been unmoved at the final whistle, standing alone in his technical area as his players moved en masse towards their boisterous travelling support, but this felt revelatory. Going forward, England are a force.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next