AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: THE (bent) FIFA PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 pm 
Captain
Captain

FROM THE bbc
Fifa presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam has stated that he will make the bidding process for future World Cups more open if he is elected to the post.

Bin Hammam said Fifa was not corrupt but told the BBC the organisation needed to be more transparent.

"We need to explain decision making - people are making decisions that affect millions," he told BBC sports editor David Bond.

Bin Hammam added: "We belong to the people - acting on behalf of them."

Fifa president Sepp Blatter came under fire after Fifa's vote in December for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively.

There were allegations of corruption in the bidding process and two executive committee members were suspended, while four other officials were sanctioned.

We need a greater understanding between Fifa and associations. We are friends and not enemies

Mohamed Bin Hammam
Bin Hammam, the Asian Football Confederation president, said the public would have more confidence in Fifa if the process was opened up to scrutiny.

"It's reasonable and logical to vote openly - it happens in other organisations, why shouldn't it happen in Fifa?" he said.

The 61-year-old Qatari also defended his country's bid for the 2022 World Cup.

He said it was the "correct decision" to award the tournament to Qatar and insisted the country "did nothing wrong" in the bidding process.

He said the 2022 bid was "respected by the world", but admitted future bidding processes "have to be transparent so that the public can see exactly what is happening".

Bin Hammam went on to add that there was a need to reduce the decision making burden on Fifa's central committee, and "give confederations more responsibility".

DAVID BOND'S BLOG
Bin Hammam will run as the "clean hands" candidate; the coming man who will clean up Fifa

"We need a greater understanding between Fifa and associations" he said. "We are friends and not enemies. We need a common understanding - our interests are all the same."

He also stressed that he was in favour of the introduction of goal-line technology.

The election for a new president takes place at the two-day Fifa Congress in Zurich, which starts on 31 May.

Blatter, 75, has been in charge of world football's governing body since June 1998, and has not been challenged since 2002, when he defeated African confederation president Issa Hayatou by 139 votes to 56.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: THE FIFA PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm 
Captain
Captain

I run my own Supply Chain business, part of my job is to set up and manage the process and selection criteria for, selection of bidders, review and conditioning of their bids amd recomendation to award for major international projects (oil refineries mostly).
My opinion is forget the voting, a process where bidders are assessed, equally and in ways set out on paper against pre set criteria and the winner scores the highest in a fair scoring and weighting, with this being managed by neutral and unnanounced professionals. Not me, but like me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the voting should be opened up also only 1 tournament is bid for at a time this should help stop people bargaining for bids against each other the you scratch my back I'll scratch yours mentality will be reduced. I agree there should be set criteria so bidders know how to put a bid together that stands a chance of winning. England wasted millions on putting together the best bid on paper just to be told that it was effectively worthless as FIFA felt it was more important to spread the world cup around the world.

It needs a complete shake up and the only way it will happen is by removing the people at the top the problem is that he probably wont stand a chance of getting rid of Blatter and the closed shop of Executive Committee members.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Quote:
Bin Hammam said Fifa was not corrupt...

He's lost my vote right there, you can't clean up what you won't acknowledge is dirty, it's my guess he'd be just the latest version of what went before, and another corrupt vulture wanna-be-king like Blatter is the last thing we need.

Mr Spock wrote:
...a process where bidders are assessed, equally and in ways set out on paper against pre set criteria and the winner scores the highest in a fair scoring and weighting, with this being managed by neutral and unnanounced professionals. Not me, but like me.

It's a good plan, but far too sensible for it to be adopted by anyone at FIFA because they're all probably far too interested in exactly those opportunities for taking a back-hander. Simply put they don't want to clean up the game imo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
conscience wrote:
Quote:
Bin Hammam said Fifa was not corrupt...

He's lost my vote right there, you can't clean up what you won't acknowledge is dirty, it's my guess he'd be just the latest version of what went before, and another corrupt vulture wanna-be-king like Blatter is the last thing we need.

If he says FIFA is corrupt then he loses all of their votes though.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bin Hamman has got to get people on side he's looking for votes and the telling the people who can vote for him that they're all corrupt criminals who he'll sack upon appointment probably wont win him many votes. The real test would come if he won then we'd see how his morals stand up will he completely overhaul all the rules around voting.

One thing I'd like to see is it made illegal for the host nations to speak with the committee members they should remain totally neutral until they see the presentations and have studied the documents before making their decisions. It's got to be one of the only contests in the world where you're openly encouraged to tap up the judges before the voting starts.

First job once Sepp is removed should be to fire Jack Warner out of a cannon in to the sea, raid his bank accounts and give the Trinidad and Tobago national team the money they're still owed for the world cup in 2006.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sepp Blatter says he will step down as Fifa president in 2015, if he is re-elected for a fourth term in June.

The 75-year-old, who has been head of world football's governing body since 1998, is being challenged by Asian confederation chief Mohamed Bin Hammam.

"I am a candidate for the next four years as Fifa president but these will be the last four years for which I stand as a candidate," said Blatter.

More to follow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:37 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

And Blatter goes brown-nosing to Platini, saying "You look after me this time around and when I step down after another 4 years, I'll make sure you're not disappointed when you come after my job".

Oh, the big wheel of "fortune" goes around and around....................

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
And Blatter goes brown-nosing to Platini, saying "You look after me this time around and when I step down after another 4 years, I'll make sure you're not disappointed when you come after my job".

He won't have any power after he leaves office, I don't see how he could have any major influence on who his successor is. Even if he makes deals with people, they've no real reason not to renege on them when they are voting. Personally I hope Platini does become FIFA President, he has been a very good and very fair President of UEFA, and seems to simply be a football lover. He's portrayed extremely negatively by the lowlifes that are English journalists, but there's nothing he's done which has been detrimental to English football. In fact his financial fair play regulations are likely to be very beneficial to English football.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 am 
General
General

Platini is a t0ss3r.

And Blatter seems to think he will still have some influence after he leaves the job, and if they've got their fingers in as many pies as I suspect then he might well have enough influence / bribe-power to make sure Platini gets his job in 4 years time.

Personally I hope they both crash and burn. Apparently the FA are undecided and are waiting to see which way things look like going before deciding who to vote for, which given how they reacted publicly to not getting the tournament is a bit spineless imo.

It's been reported that Bin Hammam has openly been courting Platini's support too, also promising to support Platini in the future - but do we really want a man like Platini, who would like to see tackling banned completely :blink:, in charge of world football?

I know very little about Bin Hammam except he's been on FIFA's executive committee for the past 15 years, so he's not what I'd call a new broom or a fresh face, which is what we FIFA need imho - somebody who's not bent and would just run football sensibly and be more open to the feelings of the member nations instead of on their own private mission pursuing their own financial agenda.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Kie99 wrote:
Willie Eckerslike wrote:

He won't have any power after he leaves office, I don't see how he could have any major influence on who his successor is. Even if he makes deals with people, they've no real reason not to renege on them when they are voting. Personally I hope Platini does become FIFA President, he has been a very good and very fair President of UEFA, and seems to simply be a football lover. He's portrayed extremely negatively by the lowlifes that are English journalists, but there's nothing he's done which has been detrimental to English football. In fact his financial fair play regulations are likely to be very beneficial to English football.

In May last year, Michel Platini, president of UEFA, finally pushed through his fabulous plan to cement all the richest, biggest clubs in Europe into the top league positions for the next 200 years, starting from 2012.

He calls this financial fair play. In short, it means that Manchester City have two years to spend £300million on players and ensure they are in the top four, after which the drawbridge will be raised and any future investors in football will not be allowed to incur debt.

So, if Everton were to find a buyer, his spending power would be limited proportionately to the turnover of the club, which would again be limited by the fact that Everton are mired in mid-table and need to invest in success before receiving any financial return.

That is what happened at Chelsea. Roman Abramovich put in big money, the club grew, became part of the elite and may soon be self financing.

No wonder Abramovich is such a fan of Platini’s law; it stops a potential rival mimicking his method and busting through the glass ceiling. Now he is on the right side of it, Abramovich wants the whole thing double-glazed and reinforced.

To continue with the Everton example, even if sold to Sheik Mansour’s wealthier cousin, the club would not have as much money to spend as Liverpool, who were owned by the two biggest cowboys since Alias Smith and Jones.

This is fair, apparently. Then, a few days later in May, the 2016 European Championship was awarded to France. It will be the third major international tournament the country has hosted in 32 years.

Naturally, Platini made all the right noises, said his loyalties were divided as he had played so long in Italy and had many friends in Turkey, who were also bidding, but it was inescapable that UEFA had delivered the right result for their French president.

For just moments after the decision had been announced, Platini revealed its very handy byproduct.

‘France can now upgrade all their stadia to make them the same standard as other countries in Europe,’ he said.

Nice one, Michel. Nobody saw that one coming.

And with money conveniently provided by the state, too. So this is how it ties together. French football gets a total government-financed refit just as UEFA is introducing strict financial controls.

Platini says ground improvements will not be part of debt calculations but that does not matter as most major English clubs have already rebuilt stands and facilities themselves and are still paying off the loans.

Fortunately, their French equivalents will not be so encumbered because as a result of hosting the first 24-team European Championship, they will benefit from increased capacities and other revenue-generating schemes, such as improved corporate areas, leading to additional turnover and therefore greater spending power under Platini’s rules for financial — ahem — fair play.

Yeah, Mr Platini - scrupiously fair, isn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Probably more fixed than the 1919 World Series.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Reedo wrote:
Probably more fixed than the 1919 World Series.

What's French for "Shyster" ? :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:59 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Willie Eckerslike wrote:

Glazer. :thumbup:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Reedo wrote:
Willie Eckerslike wrote:

Glazer. :thumbup:

Close enough ! :wink:

Post subject: FA appoints QC to review Lord Triesman allegations
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:54 am 
General
General

FA appoints QC to review Lord Triesman allegations

Lord Triesman Lord Triesman alleges four Fifa members sought "bribes" to back England's bid

The Football Association has appointed a leading QC to review allegations of misconduct by Fifa officials during England's failed 2018 World Cup bid.

James Dingemans QC has been asked to independently review the claims made by former FA chairman Lord Triesman to a Parliamentary select committee.

Triesman claimed that four Fifa members sought "bribes" in return for backing England's bid to host the 2018 finals.

Dingemans is due to report his findings to the FA and Fifa by Friday, 27 May.

FA chairman David Bernstein told BBC Sport: "It is very important now, given the import of these allegations, that there is a chance to see what evidence there is behind them and if they are going to be taken further by ourselves and Fifa.

"These are very serious accusations and they have been made some time after the event and with the benefit of parliamentary privilege.

"This inquiry was the idea of myself and Alex Horne, the [FA] general secretary, but we heard almost immediately after that Fifa were very supportive of our doing this.

Lord Triesman's allegations in full

"The very eminent, independent QC who we have appointed will do this in a very tight timescale. We've asked him to do it within a couple of weeks and he will report directly to the FA board and to Fifa as well.

"What the QC will do, I'm sure, is speak to Lord Triesman, but also to other people as well who were around the Wiorld Cup bid, both to see if they will verify the allegations or whether they have contrary views.

"Another issue that is coming out of this involves the governance of the FA. Was the FA board told about these things at the time?

"I'm interested to know the answer because I'm concerned now that the FA works at the highest standards of corporate governance and move this forward.

"Up to now I've been against investigations into the World Cup bid, but I think that game has changed somewhat, given what Lord Triesman said to a select committee with huge publicity."

Bernstein refused to be drawn on the validity of the separate allegations, but added: "Lord Triesman is a serious person and he would not make unfounded allegations."

The FA chairman also admitted that he would "not even dream" of entertaining the request for a knighthood - one of the claims made by Triesman against Paraguay's Nicolas Leoz - in exchange for his backing.

Dingemans became head of chambers at 3 Hare Court in October 2010. He sits as deputy High Court judge in the Administrative Court and is also Master of the Bench of the Inner Temple.

He was appointed senior counsel to the Hutton Inquiry in 2003 and is a member of the advisory panel for the Rugby Football League.

Lord Triesman - who was initially chairman of England's World Cup bid - made the allegations about Fifa vice-president Jack Warner, Leoz, Brazilian Ricardo Teixeira and Thai Worawi Makudi, all of whom are members of the world football governing body's executive committee.

Speaking before a British parliamentary select committee inquiry into the governance of football in England and the country's failure to secure the right to host the 2018 World Cup finals, Lord Triesman said their behaviour was "below what would be ethically acceptable".

However, Warner said the allegations made against him by Triesman were "a piece of nonsense", while Teixeira, the Brazilian football federation president, labelled the accusations as "absurd" and said he was considering legal action.

Blatter wants Triesman evidence on 2018 World Cup bid

The FA said on Thursday it plans to send a full dossier of the latest allegations of corruption to Fifa as soon as possible and the world governing body's president Sepp Blatter promised swift action to deal with the new claims.

Fifa has also asked for evidence from the Sunday Times after it made claims of bribery in the 2022 voting process.

Conservative MP Damian Collins, who sits on the committee which heard Lord Triesman's claims, said evidence submitted by the newspaper claimed Fifa executive committee members Issa Hayatou, from Cameroon, and Jacques Anouma, from the Ivory Coast, were paid $1.5m (£920,000) by the successful Qatar 2022 bid.

Hayatou, president of the Confederation of African Football (Caf), "categorically rejected" allegations of bribery in a statement on the Caf website on Wednesday, while Mohamed Bin Hammam, the Qatari president of the Asian football confederation who did much to secure the 2022 World Cup for his country, has insisted Qatar had paid no bribes.

Fifa insists the voting process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups was conducted cleanly.

England were knocked out in the first round with only two votes as Russia were awarded the tournament, while Qatar were named 2022 hosts.

Source: BBC Sport
Click The Link...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13383902.stm

There's a video on the page of Lord Triesman describing the attempted bribe too, very interesting. Jack Warner apparently asked for £2.5m and said funds "could be channelled through him to make sure they were appropriately spent" !! Said he wanted a 'donation' of another £500,000 to secure TV rights for the WC for Haiti... :rolleyes:

And there's another vid which I assume is Septic Batter's response that I've not watched yet.

Post subject: Re: FA appoints QC to review Lord Triesman allegations
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

The man alleged to have been the fixer for Qatar 2022's World Cup bid worked for FIFA for more than six years, it has been revealed.

Amadou Diallo, based in Paris but originally from the west African country of Guinea, was alleged in Parliament this week to have been the go-between when bribes were paid by Qatar to African FIFA members.

Diallo is a close friend of Mohamed Bin Hammam, the Qatari president of the Asian Football Confederation who is standing against Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

FIFA today confirmed that Diallo worked on the organisation's Goal Bureau, the committee headed by Bin Hammam which distributes money to football development projects across the world. Diallo's task was to monitor the projects and he was paid on a freelance basis from 2001 until 2007 directly from the Goal Bureau chairman Bin Hammam's budget.

The payments did go through the FIFA administration however.

A FIFA statement said: "We can confirm that Amadou Diallo was working until April 2007 paid by FIFA on a Goal Bureau chairman budget with the task of monitoring Goal projects."

FIFA insiders said they were "not thrilled" to learn from their files of the connection. The budget in question appears to no longer exist - certainly no money has been paid out of it this year - but there is no suggestion of any impropriety concerning the FIFA payments to Diallo.

According to a submission to Parliament by the Sunday Times, Diallo was named by ex-FIFA general secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen as being at the centre of arranging financial deals with African FIFA executive members in return for World Cup votes.

The submission says Diallo "had been employed by the Qatar bid" and also worked for Issa Hayatou, the president of the African football confederation (CAF), who along with Jacques Anouma of the Ivory Coast was alleged to have been paid 1.5million US dollars to vote for Qatar. They deny the claims.

Bin Hammam confirmed this week that Diallo was a good friend but insisted neither he nor Qatar had done anything wrong, nor had Diallo worked for Qatar.

Bin Hammam told Press Association Sport: "He's a close friend of mine and if you know the role he plays you will laugh at these allegations. He's simply a friend of mine and he has nothing to do with Qatar or anyone.

"I will meet up with him from time to time and he will travel with me here and there, but he is not playing any part in the decisions I take."

According to sources, Diallo and Bin Hammam regularly travel together and were at the CAF Congress in Khartoum in February when Mohamed Raouraoua of Algeria topped the election for the FIFA executive and Anouma also kept his seat.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:45 pm 
Captain
Captain

I see Bin Hammam has pulled out of the FIFA presidency race.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
so the the unopposed candidate is currently under investigation for knowing & allowing corruption by the former candidate + Jack Warner to take place

....nice

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

It wont ever happen, but scrap FIFA and start again

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next