The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fergie Been Sacked?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I was being put thru hoops earlier - damn traffic! Anyway I think he should bide his time - EPL management chances may only come ever so often, but him establishing himself in a better environ than say Hull to get valuable experience PLUS having the Fergie name will give him a better chance than most.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
having the Fergie name will give him a better chance than most.

....and less time than any

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
I was being put thru hoops earlier - damn traffic! Anyway I think he should bide his time - EPL management chances may only come ever so often, but him establishing himself in a better environ than say Hull to get valuable experience PLUS having the Fergie name will give him a better chance than most.

It's a help in getting him in the door but there's more pressure on him to prove to the fans that he deserves to be there because he's a good manager and not because of who his dad is. Nigel Clough has a similar problem but if they can handle the pressure of the family name then he's got a chance of rising to the top.

He'd need a club like Wigan who are fairly established in the league but he might fancy the challenge of trying to keep a club like Hull in the league if Brown was to go.

Post subject: Re: Fergie Sacked
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough director of football Barry Fry has added to the confusion surrounding the departure of manager Darren Ferguson by admitting that he believes the 37-year-old has already got a new job.

Ferguson left the club by mutual consent on Tuesday after they slipped to the foot of the Championship.

The 37-year-old's dismissal raised eyebrows after he guided the club to back-to-back promotions from League Two to the second tier and chairman Darragh MacAnthony called Wednesday's press conference to insist that the decision was mutual.

But after it was revealed that the decision was taken after a meeting with Fry on Sunday the vocal former London Road boss let slip that he expects Ferguson to be at another club within days.

Fry said: "I think Darren will get a job very soon and my own personal opinion is that he already has one.

"He will get a chance at a big club and he will do very well. There is no doubt about that.

"Every day there is a different club linked with him so he will be all right. There will be nobody more delighted if Darren manages a Premier League club successfully than us."

MacAnthony expects to land a new manager by the end of the week and will hold interviews throughout this evening.

The 33-year-old admitted that he had approached Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe but stated that Steve Coppell, Peter Taylor, Chris Wilder and Gareth Southgate were not on his shortlist.

MacAnthony said: "Barry had a chat with Darren on Sunday about another issue and after that chat we decided it was time to go.

"The last thing I expected this week was to spend time looking for a manager but that happens in football.

"He is free to go to another club now, our business is done. He can work for whoever he wants.

"I'm not saying that he has been approached by another club but I don't expect him to be on the shelf for long, put it that way.

"But the main thing to talk about is that we no longer have a manager. We have enjoyed terrific success over the last three years under Darren but we as a football club have to move on.

"I believe that these players are not a bottom of the table side, we can be in the top 12 and then move on from there.

"I gave Barry a list of six people who I think can do the job and we will get someone in very soon.

"I want it done and dusted in the next few days. We have had over 200 applicants already and managers who are at clubs in the Championship have sent in their CVs to me already.

"I have a profile of who I am after and a policy of bringing in youth and it is a policy I will continue with.

"I have seen that Eddie Howe rejected the chance to come here but the reality of the situation is that we approached the chairman and he was stopped from speaking to us.

"The criteria is someone who can lead us to a top-12 finish and who can sort us out defensively.

"If we get it right at the back then we can have a hell of a season."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sounds like someone will be getting sacked soon then in the premiership.

Zola, Megson (even though Bolton are alright) Hart and Brown watch your backs :lol:

You too Rafa :hmm:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

JSP wrote:
Sounds like someone will be getting sacked soon then in the premiership.

Zola, Megson (even though Bolton are alright) Hart and Brown watch your backs :lol:

You too Rafa :hmm:

Darren Ferguson takes over the reins at Anfield..... yeah that'd work :lol:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If anything he had too many strikers at times with posh so it might work.

Post subject: Posh Chief Blasts Disloyalty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has launched an astonishing attack on the club, claiming "the team spirit from the last two years has nearly been destroyed by greed, skulduggery, tapping up and disloyalty from within".

Posh are bottom of the Coca-Cola Championship, nine points adrift of safety, having won just three times in the league this season.

Darren Ferguson, the manager who had guided them to two successive promotions, parted company with the club in November and was replaced by Mark Cooper.

In a lengthy statement on the club's official website, www.theposh.com, MacAnthony said: "I have to apologise to all Posh fans for this season up until now and for all the events on and off the field. It has been nothing short of a disaster and I can of course understand their frustrations.

"I am done with defending the players, previous management, current management and everyone else at the football club top to bottom.

"Nobody has been good enough this season and we have failed our fans in the worst possible way and this has resulted in us being bottom of the league and heading for League One in a hurry.

"I promise the fans this will be the last time I speak in the press this season, but some home truths need to be told and as always I like to be honest with the fans and as open as possible."

He added: The team spirit from the last two years has nearly been destroyed by greed, skulduggery, tapping up and disloyalty from within and this has all occurred over the last 120 days or so, non stop and is eating away at our inner core."

MacAnthony hinted he was unhappy at Ferguson, now Preston boss, trying to tempt his players away.

"Every week brings another drama and it usually involves an ex-manager, a current team member and the promise of bigger wages followed by a derisory £100k bid and all this after the player has been unsettled and offered terms behind our back," he said.

"Ask him (Ferguson) why in the last seven days he has offered terms to some of our players without agreeing terms with our club for them and of course totally unsettling these players."

Peterborough host Preston in the Championship this evening.

The chairman also had harsh words for the club's players, telling them to "grow up".

He added: They repay the club with below par performances, temper tantrums off the field and making it clear they no longer want to play for our club when the going gets tough. Well it's time for all of these players to grow up and act like professionals."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Posh Chief Blasts Disloyalty
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sometimes there are things that simply do not require, and indeed cannot be made funnier, by any comment from me or anyone else.

Therefore, here are some extracts from Peterborough chairman Darragh McAnthony's statement, released on the Posh website in the early hours of this morning:

On his employees: "I am done with defending the players, previous management, current management and everyone else at the football club top to bottom."

On the Posh squad: "The team spirit from the last two years has nearly been destroyed by greed, skulduggery, tapping up and disloyalty from within and this has all occurred over the last 120 days or so, non stop and is eating away at our inner core."

On outside influences: "Every week brings another drama and it usually involves an ex-manager, a current team member and the promise of bigger wages followed by a derisory £100k bid and all this after the player has been unsettled and offered terms behind our back."

On the squad again: "They repay the club with below par performances, temper tantrums off the field and making it clear they no longer want to play for our club when the going gets tough. Well it's time for all of these players to grow up and act like professionals."

And on his employees again: "I promised our fans success when I took over and mapped out where we wanted to go and I shall not let those that matter the most down. I only wish everyone else employed by Peterborough United felt the same."

These are just edited highlights. For the full shebang, go to the Posh website. It's sensational.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:31 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I can understand why he's not happy if all that is true.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's got a point he's invested a lot of money in the club over the last few years and as a result a number of conference players and reserve outcasts have been given the chance to play in the second tier of English football. Posh gave a lot of players a chance when no one else would and it sounds like a lot of them have had there heads turned.

Doesn't help when your bottom of the league though as all this will do is turn the fans on the players if they don't want to be there let them go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:22 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

"Loyalty", as defined by a chairman who sacked his manager that had led Posh to successive promotions? :doh:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Red_Ped wrote:
"Loyalty", as defined by a chairman who sacked his manager that had led Posh to successive promotions? :doh:

I'm not sure he was sacked the stories I heard is that Ferguson resigned because the chairman wanted him to sign players whereas Fergie Jnr wanted to keep faith in his players. His resignation was accepted and it was mutual termination which too me seemed crazy at the time.

I don't think it helps when you employ Barry Fry though as he can't keep his mouth shut for more than 5 seconds when you stick a microphone near him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough have sacked manager Mark Cooper after just two months in charge at London Road.

Cooper, 41, was the surprise choice to replace Darren Ferguson in November when he was recruited from Blue Square Premier side Kettering but won just one game in charge as he failed to lift Posh clear of the relegation zone in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Saturday's 2-0 defeat at cash-strapped Crystal Palace left Peterborough rooted to the foot of the Championship with just 18 points from 28 games.

A statement said: "Peterborough United and Mark Cooper are parting company with immediate effect following the termination of his contract.

"The club would like to thank Mark for his professional and dedicated service during his time at London Road and wish him all the best for the future."

The move to dismiss Cooper is the latest drama in an unsettled season for Posh after back-to-back promotions saw them climb from League Two to the Championship.

Confusion surrounded the decision to part company with Ferguson in November, with director of football Barry Fry claiming in a press conference that he believed Ferguson had been tapped up for another job.

Those claims were denied by Ferguson, who just last week took his new side Preston to London Road and left with a 1-0 win for North End.

Chairman Darragh MacAnthony released a statement before that game claiming that Ferguson had taken members of the Posh squad drinking over Christmas and had unsettled players with offers to join him at Preston.

Ferguson appeared embarrassed by the claims after the match, saying: "I'm not happy about what was said and I have to defend myself against allegations of tapping up the Peterborough players and other items.

"I got the club into the Championship for the second time in 75 years and we should just leave it like that. It seems like they're trying to ruin my reputation. I wish I didn't have to talk about those comments but I'm sure people appreciate my need to give my reaction."

MacAnthony also said just last Tuesday: "Nobody has given Mark a chance since he was appointed and he has had to deal with one fiasco after another.

"I am of course unhappy that results have not changed but at the same time I am not ready to throw the towel in as quick as others appear to be."

There were signs that problems had spread to off the pitch after Cooper confirmed that striker Izale McLeod was left out of the squad to face Palace on Saturday for "disciplinary reasons".

McLeod only joined Posh's relegation fight last month on loan from Charlton but after making just three appearances appeared to have fallen out with Cooper.

Cooper said: "Izale was left out of the squad at Crystal Palace for disciplinary reasons, but further than that I can't comment.

"The reasons will remain in-house."

Peterborough - who have won one game since October - are at home to QPR on Saturday and are hoping to have a new manager in charge to face Rangers.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

"I spent three days in Peterborough staying in a hotel and I saw six people. Some were previous international managers and ex-England internationals, foreign managers and managers with experience. But there was one who stood out and who wanted it the most, and that was Mark Cooper. He impressed me like you wouldn't believe...I think Mark Cooper will do a terrific job for our football club" - Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony, November 14.

"I have seen comments about our manager and feel it is incredibly harsh to make judgements on him after five games. The gaffer is just as disappointed as everyone else with the lack of results, but he of course needs 100% support from all of us" - Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony, December 15.

'Nobody has given the bloke a chance since he was appointed 10 games ago and he has had to deal with one fiasco after another. I am of course unhappy that the results have not changed but at the same time I am not ready to throw the towel in as quick as others appear to be' - Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony, January 26.

'Following Mark Cooper's departure from the football club yesterday I wish him well for the future and have no doubt that he will be back in management sooner rather than later. After losing 8 times in 13 games including five defeats in January where we conceded 12 goals and only scored 1, his position became untenable and I felt it was time for a change for the good of the club' - Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony, February 2.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Posh Spice
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough boss Gary Johnson is the latest manager to lose his job after disagreements with chairman Darragh MacAnthony.

Johnson left Posh by mutual consent, making him the 11th league manager to perish since Christmas.

A short statement on the club's website read: "It was mutually agreed that Gary Johnson and Peterborough United Football Club Ltd part company. "The manager and chairman could not see eye to eye on policy."

Johnson departs on the back of a 6-2 FA Cup hammering at the hands of Fulham, but with Posh well placed in League One - they are currently seventh in the table with games in hand on all the teams above them. Peterborough have taken eight points from their last four league games, including a 4-1 win over Walsall last time out.

Johnson took over at London Road in April last year, succeeding Jim Gannon, who himself was only in the job for two months following Mark Cooper's short stint in charge.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sounds like Johnson was promised cash that the owner can't deliver.

The wage bill at posh must be one of the highest in the league and if the owners financial problems are as bad as local press have reported then the purse strings will be tightened.

The fact they've sold McLean suggests that the cash has ran out and that's why Johnson has left.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Quote:
Darren Ferguson has held talks with Peterborough over a shock return to the npower League One club as manager.

The 38-year-old led Posh to successive promotions during his previous stint at London Road before leaving in 2009 with them lying bottom of the Championship.

Ferguson was sacked by Preston just after Christmas following a poor run of results, and Posh have confirmed he has met with chairman Darragh MacAnthony.

Peterborough parted company with previous boss Gary Johnson on Monday after he fell out with MacAnthony over club policy matters.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Be very suprised one of the reasons he left was because of a bust up with the owner over transfer targets when Posh were in the championship.

Would be a good move if they can rebuild that bridge though as it's still largely the players he assembled and got the best out of in this division. At the moment if they don't get straight back up I can see them getting stuck in League 1 as they need the money from the championship.

They've still got the same problems awesome going forward but shocking at the back they're a bit like Spurs great too watch but as a fan you never feel comfortable even at 2 or 3 up as all of a sudden it can all go tits up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Darren Ferguson has targeted winning a third promotion with Peterborough after completing his shock return to London Road.

The 38-year-old took Posh from npower League Two to the Championship in successive years during his first spell in charge but left in acrimonious circumstances in November 2009 with the club bottom of the second tier.

A poor year in charge of Preston followed for Ferguson - where he was sacked after Christmas - while chairman Darragh MacAnthony has seen Mark Cooper, Jim Gannon and Gary Johnson try and fail to emulate his success with the League One side.

"I know the saying is 'never go back' but I don't believe in that. I've missed the place. I've had a hard 12 months at Preston but it's good to be back. "We want to get into the Championship and stabilise in the Championship. That has always been the aim."

Confusion surrounded Ferguson's departure 15 months ago, with director of football Fry telling a press conference that he believed the Scot had been tapped up by another club.

ImageImage
Quote: