It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Posh Spice
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
At least one Ferguson had a good weekend at Old Trafford

Peterborough have sealed promotion to the Championship after a three-goal flourish in seven minutes killed off Huddersfield.

Tommy Rowe broke the deadlock with a header, before Craig Mackail-Smith's shot was deflected past Ian Bennett.

Grant McCann scored a third with a sublime free kick as Darren Ferguson's side made their return to English football's second tier.

Peterborough had a chance to open the scoring within the opening five minutes as Mackail-Smith had a shot deflected against the post from close range.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough United's director of football Barry Fry has confirmed the club have accepted an offer from Leicester City for Craig Mackail-Smith.

The Championship new boys are prepared to let the striker leave London Road over the summer and there are a string of clubs chasing Mackail-Smith.

Fry claims the Scotland international has already turned down moves to Premier League duo Norwich City and Queens Park Rangers, while West Ham United have seen an offer rejected.

Posh expect the Hammers to return with another bid, while Fry is waiting to learn the outcome of Mackail-Smith's impending talks with Leicester boss Sven Goran Eriksson.

"We have accepted a bid from Leicester," said Fry in the Leicester Mercury.

"Their manager Sven Goran Eriksson is out of the country at the moment, but was due to speak to Craig over the weekend."I have had several conversations with West Ham, but we have turned down their bid. I am certain they will be back.

"Craig is facing a tough decision"

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The guy is lethal in front of goal and he works ridiculously hard.

Think the prem would be a step to far but working under someone like Eriksson could be a good move for him plus I imagine Leicester are happy to offer the bucket load of cash posh need to fund a replacement.

He reminds me a bit of Dirk Kuyt but the dutch league version. Lots of hard work, good technique and scores goals for fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Saw something the other day apparently they're trying to get Tunnicliffe on loan next season as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Quote:
Manchester United have accepted a bid from Peterborough for young forward Nicky Ajose, skysports.com understands.

The 19-year-old was a stand-out performer whilst on loan at Bury last season and player a major role in their promotion to League One.

A host of clubs have since made contact with United about the prospect of taking him on loan next season.

There has also been interest in signing him on a permanent basis and now Peterborough have made their move.

Darren Ferguson has made contact with his father Sir Alex and has thrashed out a deal believed to be worth an initial £300,000.

Ajose will now hold talks with the London Road outfit, who will look to finalise a quick deal as other clubs could yet make rival offers.

If the Ajose deal is finalised, he will be the third United player to move to Peterborough in the space of a week as they have already struck loan deals for Ryan Tunnicliffe and Scott Wootton.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

:sigh: he's better than that.....

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:16 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I'm not surprised... O'Zidane, Brown and Gibson would have followed them there if Sunderland hadn't bid for them... nothing is too good for junior. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:19 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tunniclife on loan is a great move 6 months in the championship will toughen him up he's been in his comfort zone at Utd for so his whole career now he gets to see the other side of football.

London Road still has terracing and while the pitch is better these days by xmas it used to be 90% sand.

The Ajose one suprises me unless we have a buy back clause but keeping posh in the championship could be good for Utd as we can use them as a good learning ground for our youngsters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:39 am 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
The Ajose one suprises me unless we have a buy back clause...

I haven't seen or heard anything from Ajose that suggests to me he'll make it with us so I'm not surprised really. I'd imagine there'll be a couple of clauses in there bumping the total fee up as £300k is ridiculously cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough United have confirmed the signing of Manchester United striker Nicky Ajose for an undisclosed fee.

The attacker will join Sir Alex Ferguson's son Darren in the Championship after the club sold Craig Mackail-Smith to Brighton last week.

The 19-year-old has signed a four-year contract at London Road after impressing on loan at Bury last season, and has flown out to Portugal to join his new team-mates.

"Nicky has good pace, is two-footed and a very good finisher," Darren Ferguson said.

"He has a lot of potential, has good pedigree and was successful during his loan spell with Bury last season, scoring lots of goals in League Two.

"We feel he can make the step up to the Championship. He has a fantastic attitude; speaking to my dad, he tells me that [Ajose] is the first in the building every day so that stands him in good stead."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Despite losing today, apparently the Posh fans were impressed with Tunni :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Won 7-1 against Ipswich at the weekend.

In 1 week Ipswich have let in 12 goals against 2 of the 3 promoted sides.

Haven't been to watch Posh in ages but might try and grab a few games this season especially as it's probably the last season you'll be able to stand on the London Road terrace as I think they have to close the terraces next year :(

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Peterborough United chairman Darragh MacAnthony has said he has played his part in what he deemed a failed season.

MacAnthony's Posh, relegated last year, were beaten in the League One play-off semi final by Leyton Orient on Tuesday.

"Epic failure would describe the season. I know it sounds harsh," he told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire.

"But to be honest in the last 12 months, it's epic failure on my part, the club's part, the players' part and the management and staff's part."

It has been an agonising year for Peterborough and their boss Darren Ferguson, dropping out of the Championship last season in a dramatic final-day defeat by Crystal Palace, who clinched a play-off spot and a subsequent promotion.

And, after winning the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, MacAnthony's mission to secure an immediate promotion back to the second tier was ended in a 3-2 aggregate defeat by Orient.

"It's gut-wrenching, heartbreaking. There's nothing worse than watching another team celebrate on the pitch, like we've done so many times," he said.

"I keep getting told that's football. It's not something I want to get used to, but it's happened twice in 12 months. It's horrible."

Posh have reacted to their play-off exit by releasing five players whose contracts were about to expire and transfer-listing nine entering the final year of their current deals.

Nathaniel Knight-Percival, Daniel Kearns, Craig Alcock, Peter Grant and Tommy Rowe have left the club, while goalkeeper Robert Olejnik and striker Nicky Ajose are among the nine listed.

MacAnthony bought Peterborough eight years ago, and has been involved in three promotions and two relegations.

But the Irish businessman said he may consider taking a less hands-on approach to running the club.

"I thought long and hard about my own position last night. 'Am I the right thing for the club after the last 12 months?'," he said.

"I'm not withdrawing my financial support for the club - I wouldn't do that.

"I spend so many hours of my day being involved with the club, even to the detriment of people around me. I'm burnt out and need a break from football.

"If I take a break and feel re-energised I may say different at the end of June."

Such an exciting side to watch because they play such an open game.

The owner can be a bit emotional it's safe to say he doesn't mind saying what he thinks which is a good thing but when you own a football club you do sometimes need to keep it in house. The good thing is he's not singling one person out for what happened this season he's included everyone and I hope they stick with Fergie Jnr as he's a good young manager and they deserve a lot of credit for buying young players from the non league and giving them a chance. One of those ex players George Boyd has been playing PL football all season and might even feature in the cup final this weekend he got his big break at Posh.

For what he's invested though the owner really needs that club in the Championship because that attracts bigger crowds which will allow for further development to take place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson has signed a new three-year contract at the League One side.

The 42-year-old has won three promotions across two spells with Posh, but failed to take them back to the Championship last season.

He had 12 months to run on his current deal, which he signed when he returned to the club in January 2011.

Assistant manager Kevin Russell has left Posh by mutual consent and will be replaced by youth coach Gavin Strachan.

Ferguson took Peterborough from League Two to the Championship in his first two full seasons in charge, before leaving in November 2009.

Posh were subsequently relegated before Ferguson returned to guide them back to the second tier in 2012.

But it has been a difficult 12 months for the former Manchester United and Wrexham midfielder, having suffered relegation from the Championship on the final day of the 2012-13 campaign and then losing in this season's play-off semi-finals to Leyton Orient.

"After lengthy talks between the chairman and I regarding the future, he showed me such support again," said Ferguson.

"I explained my vision of how we continue to be a success both in the development of our players and also on the pitch.

"It is a blow to lose Kevin as he has been with me during all my time as a manager and without him our success would never have been possible and I cannot thank him enough, but we both felt the timing was correct."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony has dismissed the idea that boss Darren Ferguson is "unsackable", but says he backs his manager.

Posh are 11th in League One and have won one of their last 10 league games.

"He's not unsackable. Sacking him is not about money - I don't know why people accuse me of that," MacAnthony told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire.

"It's actually a really easy decision to fire a manager, but I've got to do what's right for the football club."

He added: "What gives Darren more time is my belief in him and my backing, and at the moment he has that."

Ferguson is in his second spell at London Road, and after winning promotion to the Championship in 2011, failed to make an instant return last season.

MacAnthony, who has made clear his desire to win promotion, has had to field claims from fans on Twitter that he cannot afford the compensation to sack his manager.

"I'm gutted when I hear some of the fans talk about him like they have at some of the games," he said.

"If I thought for one moment he had lost the dressing room, he'd be gone. Those lads still believe in him and his management team.

"We sat down in a meeting the other day and told them what is needed. January is a big month for them and their careers.

"If they want to be coaches at the top level, they've got to get their act together. Whatever is going on is not working."

They made a good start but the form recently has been horrible and they've gone from challenging at the top after the first 10 games to looking like they'll struggle to make the playoffs.

I hope they stick with him and he turns it around it's vital for young managers to learn how to correct problems within a club it's all part of the experience of a good manager.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Peterborough United manager Darren Ferguson has left the club after Saturday's 3-0 defeat by MK Dons left them 15th in League One.

The Posh have won just one of their last five matches in the league.

In a statement on Peterborough's website, chairman Darragh MacAnthony described Ferguson as "one of the finest managers in our club's history".

"He feels that a new challenge is needed for both himself and the football club," he added.

Ferguson, 43, was in his second spell as Peterborough manager after returning to the club in January 2011.

He led them to promotion to the Championship via the play-offs that season, but they were relegated on the final day of the 2013 season.

"I'm personally very disappointed in our current league position, the performances from our playing squad and the fact we have dropped way below our own standards we set out at as a football club," MacAnthony said.

"Some fans have questioned my own commitment, interest, investment and passion for this football club recently.

"I am hungrier than ever to get this club back into the Championship and beyond and to deliver on the promises I have made to the city of Peterborough."

During his first spell as Peterborough boss between 2007 and 2009, Ferguson - the son of ex-Manchester United boss Sir Alex - guided them to successive promotions from League Two to the Championship.

Coaches Gary Breen, Gavin Strachan and Jimmy Walker, video analyst Stewart England and sport scientist Marc Lindsey have also left the club, with academy manager Dave Robertson put in caretaker charge.

Went to the game today and there were blown away first half by MK couldn't get close to Reeves who scored 2 crackers but both times could've been closed down quicker. They were so bad Ferguson made a double sub on 30 minutes (taking off Posh best player in those opening 30 minutes) and he made the 3rd sub at half time. The defending by posh was shambolic as always but now they don't have the goal scorers to bail them out of trouble as posh games have always been high scoring under Fergie Jnr

The fans had clearly had enough of him and really turned on him second half which is a shame when you think what's he has achieved at that club just seems like the magic touch they had in the transfer market has eluded them this year.

They've done brilliantly picking up strikers out of non league football but every year the best players get snapped up by bigger clubs and the signings for this season haven't worked out as planned. They made a decent start to the season but have had a horrible run and maybe it was time for a change but when you sell a 20-30 goal striker every summer it's always going to be tough.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Peterborough winger Jon Taylor has said he feels personally responsible for manager Darren Ferguson's departure.

Ferguson, 43, and five members of his backroom staff left the club after Saturday's 3-0 loss at MK Dons, a third defeat in four games.

"I'm disgusted. We're all to blame," Taylor told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire.

"We've cost six people their jobs. The performance on Saturday in the first 45 minutes was disgusting. We let the fans and the whole club down."

Posh were three goals down by half-time at Stadium MK, and the loss left the London Road side 15th in League One.

Ferguson, the son of former Manchester United boss Sir Alex, will be remembered as one of Peterborough's most successful managers across his two spells in charge.

He took the club from League Two to the Championship between 2007 and 2009, and then oversaw a return to the second tier after he rejoined the club in 2011.

Posh are just four points away from the play-off positions, but the team's form has not matched up to chairman Darragh MacAnthony's ambition of an immediate return to the Championship, following last season's relegation.

Taylor, 22, added: "I'm absolutely devastated. I took the blame personally - us as players went out to perform and we haven't performed as we should do.

"It's not acceptable. We're 15th in the league, which is absolutely embarrassing for this club."

Academy manager Dave Robertson is in caretaker charge of the side, with support from striker Aaron McLean and former midfielder Grant McCann, who is currently playing for Northern Irish team Linfield.

Good to see a player who hasn't lost some sense of reality and actually taking responsibility

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Dave Robertson says he seldom talks to his Peterborough United team about what he did before coaching because “the last thing I want to do is turn into Uncle Albert and have the players going: ‘Oh, here he goes again, how many ships did you sink?’” But the players know, all the same, that the man who will try to lead them to promotion to the Championship this season is a 41-year-old former Royal Marines commando who has seen and done things that make whingeing about pre-season training unthinkable.

“Of all the theatres of war that I worked in, I didn’t like the desert because there was no cover, there was sand everywhere and I thought it was quite a tough environment to work in,” says Robertson when asked to single out his most gruelling experience in a green beret.

“That was in Kuwait, where we did a lot of training with Kuwaiti commandos near the airport just after it had been bombed. But I really thrived in Norway when we did our Arctic warfare training, I would say that’s the fittest, strongest and the best condition I’ve ever been in. Natural skiing with a 120lb (54kg) pack and four-man tent, Monday to Saturday, week in, week out. Going above the treeline and then coming back down. Unfortunately we lost a few guys on that exercise.” Lost? “They passed away because of the intensity of the training and the environment.”

Dagenham-born Robertson’s first passion was football – in particular West Ham, for whom as a six-year-old he was a pre-match mascot – but after not being offered a contract by any club by the age of 16, he shelved his dream of becoming a professional player and enlisted in the marines, like his father and grandfather. He loved the military life, completing his commando test at 17 before embarking on active duty, including two tours of Northern Ireland.

He would have happily remained a commando until the mandatory retirement age of 40 if not for a virus contracted during jungle warfare training in Guyana in 1995. He had gone to a doctor after emerging from the jungle expecting to be prescribed antibiotics, but tests showed the problem to be more serious than he suspected.

“I’ll never forget the day,” he says. “I was just about to go out for a 15-mile yomp with one of my mates and I got a phone call off the medical officer from 4/5 commando. He said: ‘Marine Robertson, whatever you do, don’t do any physical exercise. You’re booked in to have a pacemaker fitted at Dundee Royal infirmary.’ I have no shame whatsoever in admitting that I was knocked for six. I didn’t even know what a pacemaker was, all I knew was that I was going to have heart surgery.”

Robertson returned to service after his operation – and even won an award as the marines’ footballer of the year in 1996 – but the pacemaker led him to leave the forces.

“It didn’t affect me physically but I couldn’t go on a warship and with all the electronic countermeasures they have now on every battlefield, my days of active service were unfortunately over. So I went to a medical board and got medically discharged. It was unfortunate but maybe now, from down the line, it was a blessing in disguise.”

Robertson returned to his first love, completing a coaching course at Portsmouth before working with Crystal Palace and, eventually, Peterborough United, where he took charge of youth teams before graduating to the role of academy manager.

In 2013 he became one of 178 coaches in England with the Uefa Pro Licence. When Darren Ferguson was sacked in February this year with Peterborough 16th in League One and sliding towards relegation, Robertson was placed in charge of the first team on a caretaker basis and turned the side around, guiding them to a ninth-place finish. In May he was appointed manager permanently after presenting the chairman, Darragh MacAnthony, with a 35-point plan for uplifting the Posh.

“I’m very in-depth and thorough in what I do, and what I didn’t want to do was go into that interview process and leave any stone unturned. I knew the chairman was going to interview other people, some who would have more experience as a manager than me. But the chairman definitely understood my ambitions and what I wanted to achieve. But he also needed to understand the process we were going to use to get there so I went through it from top to bottom, covering every area of the club.”

He is unashamedly ambitious in what he wants to achieve in his first full season as manager: promotion to the Championship, with panache.

A lack of penetration was one of Peterborough’s main problems last term – they scored six fewer goals than relegated Leyton Orient – but Robertson has been working on revamping their approach.

“We want goals, we want players with footballing bravery, which is terminology I use a lot, we want players who are brave enough to deal with the ball in tight areas and have the physical capacity to run in behind and cause problems for defenders, so I want them to be risk-takers,” says Robertson, whose side scored 17 goals in their first five pre-season friendlies.

The club’s six summer recruits – all for little or no fee, as usual – are attackers. The former West Ham midfielder Jack Collison has been brought in to revive his career after serious injury and there are high expectations around Joe Gormley, the striker signed from Cliftonville after scoring 41 goals in the Irish League last season.

“I believe he [Gormley] will score 25-plus goals in League One this season and to get him alongside Conor Washington in a strike partnership was a big aim of mine,” says Robertson, who also signed Lee Angol, the top scorer in the Conference South last season with Boreham Wood, and Souleymane Coulibaly, a former Spurs reserve who has scored 14 goals in nine appearances for Ivory Coast under-20s.

Robertson has spent the summer honing his team. “The players have worked harder physically and mentally than ever before,” he says. “The mental approach was a big thing that I took from my military background because we never ever went into anything without the mindset of wanting to be the best. Adding that to this group has been really important to me and there has been a big change in that side of things.”

The physical work – all done with a ball – served similar ends. “The physical conditioning of the players has helped us to develop that strength of mind because by pushing them beyond the limits they felt they could go, they got that sense of achievement and euphoria that anyone who has been to the limits of physical exertion will understand you get at the end of it. So I’ve really linked both of those things into the training programme in a number of different ways.

“As a result we’ve got players who can maintain their emotional control while working at the peak of their physical capacity. If we do that, I firmly believe we’re going to win more games than we lose because the concentration levels will be better and we’ll be able to sense when the right time is to dominate our opponents and go one step further because they’re not trained to do it and not prepared to do it. That’s what’s going to give our team an edge.”

Ever meticulous, Robertson has broken the season down into cycles and set a points target from each one. Each player has also been given position-specific individual targets, anything from percentage of completed passes to their number of “positive intentions”. The regime is deliberately demanding but intended to be inspiring rather than intimidating. During a visit to the training ground it is interesting to see the players seem buoyant and address their manager as “Robbo” rather than “Mr Robertson”, “Gaffer” or “Sir”.

And how does “Robbo” address his chairman? MacAnthony is one of the most outspoken owners in the league, one who has been known to respond to poor results by taking to Twitter to berate his staff. Is Robertson ready to deal with such outbursts?

“I am prepared for that. I actually enjoy the chairman’s passion. I phone him every day after training when he’s back in the States or I go straight up and see him after every game when he’s here. We have a good relationship. He will tell me bluntly how he feels and I will tell him my thoughts quite bluntly. But the good thing with the chairman is you know where you stand and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

“There are so many owners and boards out there that all have different agendas and I’d much rather be in a position where I can pick up the phone and have the conversation with the chairman as opposed to having to lobby seven or eight board members or have the same conversation seven or eight times.

“For me as a manager to have that relationship with the chairman is brilliant. We do have our rants and ravings with each other but it’s not personal. And he is a good leader. He is the decision-maker and I think the club is in great hands.”

Peterborough are rightly among the League One favourites for promotion and they are certainly not going to be boring.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler is interested in the vacant Peterborough United manager job, BBC Radio Cambridgeshire reports.

The 40-year-old, who also played for Leeds, Manchester City, Cardiff and Blackburn, has previously coached at first-team level with MK Dons.

It is also understood that former Norwich defender Ian Culverhouse is another who is interested in the post.

Posh sacked Dave Robertson on Sunday after a run of three wins in 17 games.

On Wednesday, chairman Darragh MacAnthony said he had an unnamed four-man shortlist for the position with the League One club.

Former Northern Ireland international Grant McCann will be in caretaker charge of Posh against Oldham on Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Peterborough United striker Joe Gormley, who was on loan at Scottish Premiership side St Johnstone, has quit professional football at the age of 26.

Gormley suffered a serious knee injury after joining Posh in 2015 before moving to Scotland in August.

Posh director of football Barry Fry said Gormley was "disillusioned with football" and has now returned to his native Northern Ireland.

Fry added that Gormley was seeking to return to part-time football.

He joined Posh having twice broken the record for number of goals scored by a Cliftonville player in one season.

But the Northern Irishman did not score after moving into the full-time game.

Fry said that Peterborough, St Johnstone and Gormley have all written letters to Fifa for special dispensation to cancel his contract by mutual consent outside the January window.