The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's Be 'Avin Yoooou
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

League One side Norwich City have sacked manager Bryan Gunn after just seven months in charge.

More to follow.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bryan Gunn Sacked by Norwich
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Norwich City have sacked Bryan Gunn as manager of the League One club.

The shock decision follows the side's disappointing 7-1 defeat at home to Colchester United on the opening day of the season.

Gunn then led his side to a 4-0 victory in their first round Carling Cup fixture against Yeovil Town on Tuesday.

But the Canaries have now opted to terminate Gunn's contract, with assistant manager Ian Butterworth to take temporary charge of the team for Saturday's match versus Exeter City.

Gunn, who won six of his 21 games in charge, took over at Carrow Road in January but was unable to help Norwich avoid relegation from the Championship.
Honesty

Chief executive David McNally, speaking on behalf of the board, told the club's official website: "Bryan has worked tirelessly for this football club for more than two decades, not least since taking over team affairs back in January.

"However the board met this week following Saturday's unacceptable record home defeat in our opening league game of the season.

"Our goal this season remains unchanged. We want to be promoted and the next manager of Norwich City will have that as his number one priority.

Passion

"The board after lengthy consideration unanimously felt a change was in the best interests of all parties concerned, in order to give us the best possible chance of achieving our objectives.

"We'd like to thank Bryan for his honesty and passion for the club, and for all he has done for us as manager and generally over the years. He has never given of anything other than his best for the Canaries and he will always be welcome at Norwich City.

"Ian Butterworth will take charge of the team for the game at Exeter, with the Board already working on identifying the right man to take the club forward on a long-term basis."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:57 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Blimey, I know they got battered 7-1, but surely their League cup win in midweek was enough to repair the damage?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:59 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Madness, not even made it to the second weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yeah i expected them to either sack him before the League cup or at least give him a couple of games in the league

Post subject: Re: Gunn Fired by Norwich
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Norwich have appointed Paul Lambert as their new manager on a rolling contract.

The 40-year-old has left Colchester to take over from Bryan Gunn in the Carrow Road hotseat.

Ironically, Gunn was only relieved of his duties four days ago following a humiliating 7-1 defeat at the hands of Lambert's Colchester.

The former Celtic midfielder had guided Colchester to two wins from their opening two games of the new League One season, and has impressed the City hierarchy enough to have been offered the job.

"It's a big club and there is no way we should be where we are," he told Norwich's official website.

"We want to get promoted but we certainly understand there are going to be some challenges if that is going to become a reality."

Lambert took over at Colchester in October 2008, having previously managed Livingston and Wycombe. He is charged with guiding Norwich back into the Championship following their relegation at the end of last season.

Ian Butterworth oversaw Saturday's 1-1 draw with Exeter and will also lead the team against Brentford today while Lambert watches from the stands.

"We're absolutely delighted to announce Paul as our new manager," said City chief executive David McNally.

"He was our number one choice and fulfils all the criteria the board had set."

Lambert has resigned from Colchester to take the position with Norwich and the two clubs are discussing a compensation package.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Re: Let's Be 'Avin Yoooou
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Actor, writer and television presenter Stephen Fry has joined the board of Norwich City Football Club.

The announcement was made at a press conference at Carrow Road.

Fry, who will act as an ambassador for the club, said: "Truly this is one of the most exciting days of my life and I am as proud and pleased as I could be."

Fry, who has a home in Norfolk, is a lifelong fan of the Championship club and has often been seen with majority shareholder Delia Smith at Carrow Road.
'Just fantastic'

He said: "Having been shockingly overlooked by successive Norwich City managers all these years as a player, I have come to the sad conclusion that it is probably unlikely now that I will ever be picked to play for the first team.

"But I am happy instead to play my part in another capacity, as that of a proud and passionate ambassador for the great game of football.

"The day may still come when I am needed out on the pitch, I haven't entirely ruled that out, but until then I shall endeavour to serve with enthusiasm and energy, spreading the word far and wide of Norwich City Football Club and the pleasures and rewards to be had as a supporter."

Ms Smith said: "Having one of the club's most passionate supporters who just happens to also be one of the country's best-loved performers join us to act as an ambassador for the football club will be just fantastic."

The television chef, who has been majority shareholder at Norwich since 1996, was made a CBE for services to the food industry in 2009.

Norwich, who were League One winners last season, play at Scunthorpe on Saturday where they hope to secure their first points of the new Championship campaign.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
1-0 win away at Scunthorpe today, Grant Holt last minute header.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Norwich won promotion to the Premier League on Monday night after Simeon Jackson's second-half header gave them a 1-0 win at Portsmouth which wrapped up second spot in the Championship.

City dropped out of the Premier League six years ago and hit rock-bottom when they were at the foot of League One on the opening day of last season following a 7-1 defeat by Colchester.

Their reaction to that hammering was to promptly hire the opposition manager, and just 20 months later Paul Lambert's Norwich have become the first team to achieve back-to-back promotions to the top flight since Manchester City in 2000.

On a memorable night for the Norfolk club, more than 3,000 fans partied in the away stand while club shareholder and chief cheerleader Delia Smith celebrated in the directors' box.

Earlier in the day, Cardiff's hopes of putting pressure on the Canaries were dashed as a woeful first-half display saw Boro open up a 3-0 lead inside 21 minutes.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:52 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I can't wait for Delia's antics at half time. :drunk:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

conscience wrote:
I can't wait for Delia's antics at half time. :drunk:

Hasn't she left Norwich (the football club) now?

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not sure if she's as hands on as she used to be but I think she's still on the board.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13185001.stm

she was there in some capacity yesterday

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Delia Smith caught yellow fever as Norwich stormed back into the Premier League.

The Canaries co-owner, famous for her giddy "Let's be havin' you" call to arms the last time Norwich were in the top flight six years ago, led the celebrations at Fratton Park.Amid joyous scenes, including a good-natured pitch invasion by hundreds of fans among the 2,600 missionaries from east Anglia, full-back Russell Martin gave the patron saint of home cooking a hug after Simeon Jackson's second-half winner clinched back-to-back promotions for Paul Lambert's heroes.

"I am absolutely ecstatic, I can't really believe this," smiled Delia.

"I am wondering whether I will wake up in the morning and find all this has not really happened.

"What an amazing two years we have had. After relegation and two successive promotions, Paul Lambert has done a terrific job. I think he is the tops, a brilliant manager."

"But this night is for our players"

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Norwich are confident manager Paul Lambert will agree a new contract this week.

Norwich are set to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2005 after securing back-to-back promotions under Lambert, who took charge in August 2009 with the Norfolk club near the foot of League One.

The 41-year-old Scot - who attracted an official approach from Burnley earlier in the season and is a reported target for managerless West Ham - has been in lengthy discussions with the board over improvements to his rolling 12-month deal.

Norwich deputy chairman Michael Foulger revealed those negotiations are now close to a satisfactory competition. Foulger told BBC Radio Norfolk: "Can I just say there'll be some great news regarding the manager situation that we will hope to announce this week.

"This success to me rates as the very best in my time as a board director. "We don't have any superstars, but what we did have was a fantastic group with a tremendous team spirit and those lads would run through a brick wall

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Lambert to me comes across as an ambitious man if a big job was to come up like Villa he'd be gone as he knows next season he'll be facing a real battle to keep Norwich in the prem. They will need to do what Hull & Blackpool did and fly out of the blocks because by the end their lack of squad depth will imo mean they're hanging on.

If someone like Villa came in and gave him an experienced squad and some cash to spend I think he'd jump ship.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:25 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yeh good point! and I think he is more than capable of taking over a big club! He will be a great manager!

I couldn't settle in Italy – it was like living in a foreign country
- Ian Rush,

I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat – Ron Atkinson

jc - here for the livescores and premier league players

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Norwich have confirmed manager Paul Lambert has signed a "new and improved" contract.

The Canaries are set to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2005 after securing back-to-back promotions under Lambert, who took charge in August 2009 with the Norfolk club near the foot of League One.

The 41-year-old Scot - who attracted an official approach from Burnley earlier in the season and emerged as a reported target for managerless West Ham - has been in lengthy discussions with the board over improvements to his rolling 12-month deal.

With those now concluded, Lambert will focus on securing new players to help the club stay in the Premier League.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Norwich have signed forward James Vaughan from Everton for an undisclosed fee as Canaries boss Paul Lambert looks to build a squad capable of keeping the East Anglia club in the Barclays Premier League.

The former England Under-21 international has agreed a three-year deal at Carrow Road, subject to the completion of relevant paperwork. Vaughan has had loan spells at Leicester, Derby and Crystal Palace in the past few seasons after struggling to establish himself at Goodison Park.

The 22-year-old came up through the ranks with Everton but his first-team opportunities remained limited and he has now become the first new addition to Lambert's Norwich squad ahead of their return to top-flight football.

Lambert, who has steered the Canaries to back-to-back promotions, believes Vaughan fits the profile of the type of player he requires.

"He's someone who fits in with the group in the sense that he's hungry to do well and has great desire," he told canaries.co.uk.

"He's already shown great potential as a young player with Everton and when I have seen him playing for them and for Crystal Palace I have always thought he was a threat in and around the box.

"I think James will be fantastic for us and provide extra competition for places, which is always good to have," he added.

Vaughan has agreed personal terms as well as passing a medical and the move only requires final approval from the relevant authorities before it is rubber-stamped.

The signing of Vaughan is likely to be the first of a number of acquisitions as Lambert attempts to keep Norwich in the Premier League, and Millwall striker Steve Morison may also be on the Scot's radar.

The 27-year-old Wales international has had a transfer request turned down by the club after Norwich reportedly had two bids for him turned down.

But Millwall are determined to keep hold of their top scorer, who has hit 40 goals in two seasons since arriving at The Den from Stevenage.

A statement from the Lions read: "Millwall can confirm the club has received a written transfer request from Steve Morison. This request has been rejected.

"There has been regular speculation surrounding Steve's future but he was rewarded with a new contract at Millwall in February which runs through to June 2013."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ad for Norwich's 2011/12 kit..... that will strike fear into the hearts of the other teams

ImageImage
Quote: