AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Be 'Avin Yoooou
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Norwich City have signed Liverpool defender Daniel Ayala in a reported £800,000 deal.

The 20-year-old joined from Sevilla in 2007 but the Spain Under-21 international failed to establish himself in the Liverpool first team.

He impressed during loan spells at Hull City and Derby County last season.

"He played against us for Hull and Derby and I thought he was strong," Norwich manager Paul Lambert said.

"You've got to have a lot of cover throughout the coming games and a long hard season. He was somebody we thought could benefit the football club."

Norwich did not disclose the fee but said Ayala had signed a four-year contract.

Ayala had recently extended his Liverpool contract until the summer of 2012. He played 12 times on-loan for Hull in the Championship last season, followed by 17 games for Derby. Ayala had been linked with fellow newly-promoted side Swansea.

Lambert has already signed midfielders Bradley Johnson and Anthony Pilkington, winger Elliott Bennett, James Vaughan and Steve Morison.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Aussie superstar Hugh Jackman is the latest big cheese from the world of entertainment to flirt with part-ownership of an English football club, thus following in the footsteps of Jay-Z (Arsenal) and 50 Cent (Accrington Stanley). Actually, the 50 Cent one is made up.

Anyway, Jackman, who professes to being a big Canaries’ fan and whose mum lives in Norfolk, turned down the chance to put some of his dosh into the club.

“Sometimes I make big mistakes,” he said. “I got a letter about a year ago saying, ‘Being such a huge Norwich City fan would I like to be a celebrity investor?’, like a small part-owner.”

“I said, ‘I think that’s a little stretched, I’ve been to Carrow Road once, my mum took me’, so I decided not to invest. And since then they’re on a run, so what do I know?”

Jackman’s knowledge of the club will have football anoraks all over the country tutting into their cup-a-soups: “I have the Milk Cup shirt, the commemorative shirt from 1984" he explained.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spoiler:
it was 1985

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Norwich have had a bid accepted for Leeds United midfielder and captain Jonny Howson.

The Championship club confirmed on Wednesday that they had "reluctantly" accepted an offer for the 23-year-old, whose deal at Elland Road expires in the summer.

A statement on the club's website read: "The club has reluctantly accepted the offer on the basis that the player only has six months of his current contract remaining and has expressed a desire to play Premier League football at the earliest opportunity."

Howson has been out of action since December because of a knee injury, and Leeds revealed their disappointment at not being able to tie the former England Under-21 international down on a longer deal.

"The club has been in discussions with the player about a new contract at Elland Road for more than 12 months, but he has been steadfast in his position that he would like the opportunity to play Premier League football," the statement continued.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Leeds fans must be fuming! On the verge of making a real push for promotion with a good team, bates lets all of those players go! ridiculous! Good signing for Norwich, lambert loves a player from outside the premiership! its a good philosophy to be fair, having hungry players rather than premier league players who are feeling sorry for themselves for playing in a poor team!

I couldn't settle in Italy – it was like living in a foreign country
- Ian Rush,

I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat – Ron Atkinson

jc - here for the livescores and premier league players

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:34 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
hat-trick-hero wrote:
Leeds fans must be fuming! On the verge of making a real push for promotion with a good team, bates lets all of those players go! ridiculous! Good signing for Norwich, lambert loves a player from outside the premiership! its a good philosophy to be fair, having hungry players rather than premier league players who are feeling sorry for themselves for playing in a poor team!

You're not kidding! And it's a great plan RE hungry players.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's Bates own fault by not tying players down to longer contracts this lad should of been given a long term contract instea Bates only gave out short term deals meaning players can be picked up on the cheap.

He's another good signing for Norwich he's good enough to play in the prem and Norwich are doing a great job scouting the football league and picking up the best players and giving them the platform to perform on

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Footballers like to big up their teammates. It's only natural. But lump de jour Grant Holt should have drawn the line before finishing this sentence about Wes Hoolahan:

"He hasn't had an Ireland cap for the last two years, but has been by far the best Irish player for a long time."

By far? Wes Hoolahan is better by far than Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, Aiden McGeady, Kevin Doyle and Shane Long? You'll be claiming next that the only reason you haven't got an England call-up is because you play for Norwich.

Oh. You did.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Stephen Fry has offered a helping hand to promote Norwich's new strip.

The Barclays Premier League side released their new look after virtually securing their safety in the top-flight.

Launching with a video entitled Pass It On, the Canaries roped in their most famous fan to help shift the kit.

Looking good: Wes Hoolahan, Anthony Pilkington, Steve Morison, Delia Smith, Grant Holt, Elliott Bennett and Russell Martin

Although he is currently filming The Hobbit in New Zealand, Fry took time out from his acting duties to star in the video.

He said: 'The new kit fitted me like a... football shirt. I was so pleased to be able to launch it, even while 12,000 miles away. You’d be amazed how many Norwich fans there are in New Zealand.

'You know how when you‘re travelling and you see someone in Canary colours and then you leap up to them only to discover it’s a Brazilian kit? Well, in New Zealand I was amazed by how often it really was Norwich.'

Norwich have also agreed a new four-year deal with chief sponsor Aviva.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I have always liked Delia Smith. But I am holding her personally responsible for the police (yes, the actual police) questioning a 17-year-old boy after he committed the heinous crime of publishing photos of the new Norwich kit that they had accidentally already published on their official website.

Over to the BBC: 'A 17-year-old Norwich City fan has angered the club he supports by leaking pictures of its new kit 12 hours before the official launch. Norfolk Police were called in after IT student Chris Brown published images of the 2012-13 strip on the internet. Chris has apologised to the club, which said it would protect its intellectual property at all times. The teenager, from Norwich, managed to obtain the pictures from the Canaries' website as it was being updated. He did not hack into the website, but was able to take the images from a section of the site that was being worked on.'

And they called the police. The actual police. Not some kind of pseudo football police but the ACTUAL POLICE.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Norwich have reportedly rejected star striker Grant Holt's transfer request at Carrow Road after he submitted it on Friday.

The 31-year-old enjoyed a superb first season in the top flight with the Canaries, where he won the player of the year award for the third successive season.

Holt impressed so much there had been suggestions of an England call-up, but he was not named in Roy Hodgson's squad for Euro 2012 and has today dropped a bombshell at Carrow Road.

The striker has become a fans' favourite at the club since joining from Shrewsbury for a reported fee of £400,000 in July 2009.

Holt helped the East Anglian side to the League One title in his first season at the club, netting 30 goals in 44 appearances.

He continued to score regularly in the Championship and helped Paul Lambert's side secure back-to-back to promotions, earning them a place in the Premier League after a six-year absence.

Holt's performance saw him rewarded with a new three-year deal at Carrow Road ahead of the 2011/12 season, where he shone and hit 17 goals.

However, the talisman has now handed in a transfer request and could be set for a move to pastures new.

The news follows speculation linking manager Paul Lambert with a move away from the club.

The Scot is considered one of the hottest managerial talents in the country and has been linked with the vacant managerial positions at Aston Villa and Liverpool.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

"It's not about money. It's not all about money. Obviously money comes into the scenario - it always does" - Grant Holt's agent Lee Payne goes all Jessie J on our arses.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If I was Norwich I'd cash in he's got Andy Johnson/Kevin Phillips/James Beattie written all over him 1 good season following promotion but will never reach that height again.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Paul Lambert has - according to The Sun at least - walked out on Norwich after they refused Aston Villa's request for talks with the Scottish manager. They claim there was a 'furious bust-up' which ended in Lambert heading out of the East Anglian club.

'The raging boss wanted out once it became clear the Canaries were digging their heels in, adamant they would not even let him hear what Villa had to offer,' says The Sun, who are already speculating that Cardiff boss Malky Mackay will be a target for the Canaries to replace Lambert, who has led them to two successive promotions.

OUCH!!!!

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

this was Paul Lambert's reaction on May 22 when asked about the possibility of him leaving Norwich for Aston Villa: "I am delighted I am at Norwich if that is what you are asking. I have never said a word that I want to get away. Not a thing and people jump to conclusions about what I say or don't say."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Resurrection Joe wrote:
this was Paul Lambert's reaction on May 22 when asked about the possibility of him leaving Norwich for Aston Villa: "I am delighted I am at Norwich if that is what you are asking. I have never said a word that I want to get away. Not a thing and people jump to conclusions about what I say or don't say."

To be fair I heard the press conference in which he said that, and it was before a testimonial game. All the press wanted to talk was about his future (fair enough, it's their job). He asked them a few times not to ask him about his situation as the event was supposed to be about whoever the testimonial was for, but they kept asking, and he started to lose his rag. Nothing wrong with what he said if you ask me, he said he was very happy at Norwich but didn't say whether he'd be interested or not should another team come calling :shrug:

I'm surprised he's jumped ship for Villa though, that's a club in terminal decline if you ask me. Perhaps he felt Villa had much bigger potential than Norwich, and he'd taken Norwich as far as he could.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If Villa are offering him money to spend he'll take it Lambert is an ambitious manager he's always taken steps up when moving he went from Wycombe to Colchester (they had a new ground/investment) they even beat Norwich 7-1 on the opening day of his second season within 2 weeks he was Norwich manager.

Villa have potential to be a good club when the team is doing well the fans come but the owner won't bankroll them. To get Lambert they must be offering some investment in the squad.

As for Norwich leaves them in the lerch a bit can see them getting relegated next season the suprise factor has worn off and teams will take them a bit more seriously next season.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Paul Lambert has offered his Norwich resignation, but the Canaries hierarchy have rejected it as negotiations continue with Aston Villa.

Norwich confirmed on Thursday afternoon that Lambert, who has been strongly linked with the vacant manager's post at Aston Villa, wanted to leave Carrow Road.

A statement read: "The club regrets to confirm that Paul Lambert has offered his resignation from his position as Norwich City manager.

"We have fought hard to keep Paul at Norwich and have not accepted his resignation whilst discussions with another club are taking place.

"However, whatever happens, we want to place on record our sincere gratitude for everything Paul has done for the club over the last three fantastic seasons."

Lambert, 42, took the Canaries up from npower League One after being brought in from Colchester in August 2009, and then immediately on into the Premier League, where they finished a creditable 12th place.

However, once Villa dispensed with the services of Alex McLeish after a disappointing campaign, the former Celtic and Borussia Dortmund midfielder was high on their wanted list.

It is understood Villa made an official approach to Norwich to talk to Lambert on Wednesday.

There had been reports of a fall-out of the denial of that opportunity.

However, in a carefully worded statement, Norwich appeared to play those rumours down.

"Discussions with Paul throughout the last few days have been professional and amicable," the statement continued.

"Paul has already earned his place in Norwich City Football Club history and, no matter what happens, will always have a friendly welcome at Carrow Road."

Should he join Villa, Lambert would leave the club in a much healthier state then when he walked away from Colchester to take over at Carrow Road three seasons.

The Norwich statement added: "When Paul joined us in August 2009 we were in 66th position in the English football pyramid and the club was on the brink of financial meltdown.

"Today we are a Barclays Premier League football club, on a financially sound footing and with a stadium full to capacity."

When Lambert departs, it is likely his backroom staff - assistant Ian Culverhouse, the former Norwich defender, and head of football operations Gary Karsa - would follow him out of Carrow Road.

Lambert's playing squad was built on a strong work ethic, with many having come up through successive promotions, or been given a chance to impress in the top flight, like winger Anthony Pilkington.

Norwich, though, insist there is not about to be a firesale at Carrow Road.

"The club does not need to sell any players and the finances are in place to substantially strengthen the excellent squad which helped us finish in 12th position in the Premier League last season," the statement continued.

"Rest assured that everyone behind the scenes at Carrow Road remains absolutely focused on continuing to help the club progress."

Norwich will now begin the search for Lambert's successor, with Cardiff manager Malky Mackay expected to be in the frame alongside another former Canaries player, Steve Bruce.

Former winger Darren Eadie believes Norwich must take their time in the appointment.

He said on TalkSPORT: "Norwich are on a stable footing, they don't need to rush. The new manager needs a little bit of experience, but most of all he needs to be keen.

"Those kind of people seem to get the best out of the sort of players we've got at Norwich at the moment. They must be driven and want to succeed."

Eadie, 36, who played for Norwich in the top flight and Europe under Mike Walker in 1993, added: "I would go for another up-and-coming manager.

"There are a lot of people who have been around the block a few times and haven't succeeded."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

:dunce: wow.....

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Following the manager to Villa?

Sunderland maybe as I imagine that Bendtner isn't coming back?

Can't see him going much higher than the usual mid table clubs be a massive risk for one of the European Clubs. There are striker spots to be had at Spurs & Liverpool though

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next