The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Cobblers (Northampton) Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Northampton Town manager Stuart Gray was full of praise for new loan signing Ben Marshall following his side's goalless draw at home to Macclesfield.

The 18-year-old winger only joined the Cobblers on a three-month deal from Stoke City on Friday.

"Ben's got fantastic qualities and I'm really grateful to [Stoke manager] Tony Pulis for allowing him to come to us," Gray told BBC Radio Northampton.

"He certainly gets people on the edges of their seats."

Gray added: "And he'll just improve because I don't think he's played a lot of football at Stoke, so he'll get fitter as well.

"It's amazing what a bit of dribbling and cutting inside will do. That's what I've said to all the players - they've got to take a bit more responsibility, both individually and collectively."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A Cobblers (Northampton) Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I can say that Marshall looks far too good to be playing for Cobblers and would be suprised if he goes back on loan when his current deal finishes.

For a team who were relegated last season and should be considered as one of the favourite for promotion the outlook on Saturday didn't look good. There team is still filled with players playing out of position and they really do lack quality in midfield I'd expect them to finish midtable maybe a late push for the playoffs if they're lucky.

Post subject: Cobblers! (Northampton Town)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Northampton skipper Craig Hinton has urged fans to play their part in helping the team find a first goal and win of the season.

Saturday's 1-0 defeat by Chesterfield extended the Cobblers' goalless start to the new campaign to three games.

Hinton, who joined from Bristol Rovers this summer, told BBC Radio Northampton: "Everyone at the club is pushing in the same direction.

"If the fans could also push in that direction it would be brilliant."

The 31-year-old defender admitted it had been a difficult start to the new campaign, with a draw on the first day against Macclesfield followed by a Carling Cup defeat by Southampton.

"It's a new squad and the team hasn't played together that much," he said.

"We played plenty of pre-season games but haven't had a really settled side yet."

Northampton will try again to break their goal drought at Accrington on Tuesday.

Post subject: Re: Cobblers! (Northampton Town)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:57 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Seemed to Work
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accrington Stanley 0 - 3 Northampton

Summer signing Steve Guinan ended Northampton's 493 minute goal drought as Stanley missed a late penalty.

Guinan rifled the ball into the top of the net from Ryan Gilligan's pass and Adebayo Akinfenwa soon added a second.

Phil Edwards had brought the striker down and he duly sent Alan Martin the wrong way from the spot.

Jimmy Ryan and Edwards hit the woodwork as Stanley pressed but substitute Billy McKay scored with a low shot and Ryan hit a penalty wide at the death.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My flatmate is a fan and had a look at the stats after the game on BBC.

Accrington missed a pen hit the post 3 times had twice and many shots and Cobblers had no corners. Sounds like an absolute smash and grab win :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Northampton Town have signed Liverpool left-back Robbie Threlfall on an initial month-long loan.

The 20-year-old progressed through the Liverpool youth ranks and was twice part of an FA Youth Cup winning squad.

Cobblers manager Stuart Gray told the club's website: "Robbie is a good young player with a good pedigree.

"He is a natural left-back and with the injuries to Liam Davis and Danny Jackman we have been a bit short in that area."

Threlfall has been a regular in Liverpool's reserves and spent much of the 2007-08 season on loan at Hereford United.

He has also had a loan spell at Stockport County.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:24 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson apologised to fans for the club's Carling Cup exit at the hands of npower League Two Northampton, admitting he and the players had to accept responsibility for the defeat.

Hodgson fielded an understrength side which still included first-team regulars like Daniel Agger, David Ngog, Ryan Babel and Lucas Leiva and went ahead when Milan Jovanovic scored his first goal for the club in the ninth minute.

However, the Cobblers hit back 10 minutes into the second half through Billy McKay and Michael Jacobs' goal in extra-time appeared to have done enough until Ngog spared Liverpool's blushes four minutes from the end.

But it was only a temporary reprieve as Ngog and Nathan Eccleston missed their spot-kicks, allowing Abdul Osman to net the decisive penalty.

"I don't think we came anywhere near what I hoped to see apart from in the last 15 minutes of extra-time when we made a superb effort after going 2-1 down," he said.

"When it goes to penalties and you are at home and in front of the Kop your hope is that at least the players will have the composure and confidence to win the penalty shoot-out but we didn't.

"All I can do is congratulate Northampton and apologise to everyone; the fans came expecting to see us win and I expected us to win but it wasn't to be.

"These players have to accept responsibility. I accept responsibility for changing a lot of players in the team, I did it because I honestly thought the players I put on the field were good enough to win the game and they weren't.

"The obvious conclusion to that was I shouldn't have changed that many players but we should have been strong enough to get a result.

"We must all take our responsibility. I am just bitterly disappointed that the team I had so much faith in did not repay that faith this evening with the exception of one or two performances."

Hodgson has endured a mixed start to his reign as Liverpool manager after taking over from Rafael Benitez in July.

He became the first Reds boss to win his first five European fixtures - albeit four were Europa League qualifiers - but his side have registered just one victory in five domestic games and are 16th in the Barclays Premier League table.

Hodgson accepted their Carling Cup exit was another setback.

"We wanted to do well in the Carling Cup and we haven't done," he added.

"We were given a kind draw against a team three leagues below us, were expected to win and when you don't you can expect to be criticised from the top downwards.

"It is a major setback for the club. The Carling Cup is a competition we are capable of doing well in and we were playing lower league opponents.

"Whatever happens, if it doesn't result in a victory it is a very negative thing and a setback for the club, one of many we are facing at the moment."

Northampton manager Ian Sampson rated the win as one of his top moments in football.

"It is certainly up there as one of the best nights of my career," he said.

"I won a play-off final at Wembley as a player for Northampton and it ranks right up there with that occasion.

"To be a manger and win at Anfield after only one year in the job I'm absolutely delighted, it is a particular highlight.

"Full credit to the players, they are a young team, with the attitude and desire they showed I can't praise them highly enough."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Cobblers Sack Gary Johnson
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manager Gary Johnson has left Northampton Town by mutual consent after eight months in charge.

Saturday's FA Cup first round loss to Blue Square Bet Premier side Luton Town extended the Cobblers' winless run to seven games.

Johnson, who was appointed Northampton manager in March, leaves with the club 20th in League Two.

"After discussions with the chairman, it was agreed that I part company with the club," said Johnson.

"I would like to thank the chairman for his support during my time here.

"I am sorry we did not reach the expectations we had set ourselves but I wish the club, it's players and supporters all the very best for the future."

Chairman David Cardoza added: "Unfortunately, things just haven't worked out for Gary here, and there comes a point when you have to accept that fact, take stock and make a decision.

"And following a discussion between Gary and I over the weekend, it was decided that we part company.

"Gary has been a successful manager in the past and I am sure he will be again in the future.

"We wish Gary all the very best for the future. We part on good terms and our search for a new manager now begins."

Assistant manager David Lee will take temporary charge of the first team, assisted by player-coach Andy Holt.

Johnson, who lasted just nine months in his last management job at Peterborough United, replaced Ian Sampson at Sixfields eight months ago.

The former Bristol City and Cambridge United boss kept the Cobblers in League Two with a victory in the penultimate game of last season, beating Stevenage 2-0. At the time it was Northampton's first win in 19 games.

He set about rebuilding the Cobblers squad over the summer, overseeing a mass turnover of players, with a total of 25 new arrivals in the form of either loans or permanent signings.

And given the task of launching a promotion campaign at Sixfields, Johnson only managed to register four league wins this season before making his exit.

of those 25 new arrivals he'd already said he wants 10 of them gone in January.

That club has fallen so far 3 or 4 years ago they were a very solid League One side with outside chances of making the playoffs. Since then they've fallen so far they have the second or third biggest wage budget in that league but it appears to have been wasted by Johnson as the club again are seriously close to the bottom of the table.

At the moment they look like a club who are relying on 2 teams being worse than them or getting points deducted in order to stay up this season. Otherwise I can see them slipping into the conference and they might not make it back from there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I regularly get given 6 to 8 free tickets. I have a real problem giving 'em away. Northampton is a rugby town, much more so than football.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
I regularly get given 6 to 8 free tickets. I have a real problem giving 'em away. Northampton is a rugby town, much more so than football.

True but when the team was doing well in league one they were getting around 6,000 they now knocking around 3,500.

There's talk of the rugby team moving to MK Dons when they complete the expansion to 32,0000 and I've heard cobblers might then move to Franklin Gardens as it has better corporate facilities.

I used to go quite regularly as my mates a season ticket holder but I've not been this season.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:30 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
Willie Eckerslike wrote:

True but when the team was doing well in league one they were getting around 6,000 they now knocking around 3,500.

There's talk of the rugby team moving to MK Dons when they complete the expansion to 32,0000 and I've heard cobblers might then move to Franklin Gardens as it has better corporate facilities.

I used to go quite regularly as my mates a season ticket holder but I've not been this season.

Saints to MK Dons? It will never, ever work. I'll guarantee it. I know that's another discussion, but the Cobblers won't get any financial security by moving to the Gardens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the saints moving is a real possibility a lot of the matchday fans travel in from towns and villages so travelling to MK to a state of the art 32,000 stadium with huge corporate area might appeal. plus a train into Bletchley takes about 25 minutes then a 20 minute walk to the ground isn't that far.

I think they're facing problems expanding franklin gardens they also played European Cup matches there last season and they sold it out.

If they can lease the stadium from MK and sell Franklin Gardens it might be to good an offer to turn down.

As for Cobblers it wouldn't make much sense for them to move unless they can get a great deal and develop around the ground.

The council blocked there plans for a retail outlet and hotel at sixfields so they don't get many favours from the council.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
League Two strugglers Northampton Town will unveil ex-Watford manager Aidy Boothroyd as their boss on Wednesday, reports BBC Radio Northampton.

Former Swindon boss Andy King will be assistant to the 40-year-old former Colchester and Coventry boss, who replaces Gary Johnson as manager.

The Cobblers are currently three points above the relegation zone.

Since Johnson left, Town have lost their two games 7-2 and 4-1 under two different caretaker managers.

That is a big name for cobblers hopefully he can give them a life as Tim Flowers was right at the moment this is a club heading for the football graveyard of the conference. It's so hard to get out of the Conference as it's probably as competitive as league 2.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chris Wilder has been appointed Northampton Town manager on a three-and-a-half-year deal after quitting League Two rivals Oxford United.

The clubs agreed a compensation package for Wilder's departure on Sunday.

It means the 46-year-old, who will be assisted by Alan Knill, will be leaving the sixth-placed U's for a team 23 points further down the table and bottom of the Football League.

"I'm delighted to appoint Chris," said Cobblers chairman David Cardoza.

"I know it has been a frustrating time for our supporters and I apologise for that but I make no apologies for taking our time and making sure we made the right appointment.

"Chris will be able to strengthen the squad before the transfer window closes and that is now the focus of our work."

Northampton had been managerless for five weeks following Aidy Boothroyd's sacking on 21 December, with Andy King taking caretaker charge, and have won just one of their last seven league games.

Oxford had rejected an official approach from Northampton on Friday but chairman Ian Lenagan said on Saturday that he understood Wilder had decided to quit, before the former Halifax boss later denied that was the case.

But the U's accepted Wilder's resignation on Sunday after a compensation package was agreed and he will lead out the Cobblers against Rochdale on Tuesday.

Wilder, who was set to be out of contract this summer, will now turn his focus from a promotion campaign to a relegation battle.

The former Sheffield United and Rotherham defender was named U's boss in 2008 and went on to win promotion from the Conference Premier in the 2009-10 campaign, his first full season in charge.

Since then, Oxford have stabilised as a League Two side, and they are two points off the automatic promotion spots.

"We were looking for a manager who has the experience required to guide us out of our current position and one who is ambitious and driven enough to take the club forward in the medium term and Chris is the perfect choice," said Cardoza.

"I would like to say a big thank you to Oxford Chairman Ian Lenagan who has been an absolute gentleman through this whole process.

"He has been a tough negotiator but we finally reached a compensation figure that we were both comfortable with and I wish him and Oxford United the very best of luck in their promotion push."

Former Scunthorpe manager Knill joins Wilder's backroom team after being sacked by Northampton's relegation rivals Torquay earlier this month.

Seems odd that a manager leaves a club in they playoffs for one who is rock bottom of the league.

I went to watch Cobblers on Saturday and despite the game being largely ruined by an epic thunder storm to me Cobblers just looked a team that were doomed they didn't have 1 player who had any real attacking threat and they played long ball to a striker who clearly looked better with balls to feet. They were battered by Chesterfield who to be fair are 2nd in the league but they gave away 2 very cheap goals to turn a 1-0 lead into a 3-1 loss.

6 points from safety with 20 games to go is going to be a hell of a turnaround and unless this new guy can get fresh faces in quick they look destined for the conference

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They might survive rock bottom for most of the season they have been flying since Chris Wilder took over and a win at Dagenham on Saturday took them out of the relegation zone for the first time in gods knows how long.

So as it stands

Bristol Rovers 50 points -10 GD
Northampton 50 points -17 GD
--------------------------------------------
Wycombe 47 points -11 DG
Torquay 45 points (Relegated)

So he's the twist Wycombe play already relegated Torquay (a) in the last game on the season and Cobblers face Oxford (h) who the manager Chris Wilder left mid season to take over at Northampton but luckily for them Oxford can't make the playoffs but Wilder didn't leave on the best of terms so they might be up for relegating him.

Might try and get a ticket for this one as it could be a very nervous afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Northampton Town are close to completing a takeover deal with a consortium from India. The League Two club have announced they have reached an “initial agreement with the new owners” who are committed to redeveloping Sixfields Stadium.

Chairman David Cardoza, whose family own the club, said: “Heads of terms have been signed for new owners who will also become involved in the redevelopment of Sixfields and the land surrounding the stadium.

“This deal will be a very positive move for the club and its future. This is exciting news for the club, its staff and the people of Northampton and it will bring significant investment into Northampton.”

Cardoza added a further announcement would be made “at an appropriate time in the future”.

Northampton were relegated from League One in 2009 and will embark on their seventh season in the bottom tier in August. They reached the League Two play-off final in 2013 but lost 3-0 to Bradford at Wembley.

The club shared their Sixfields Stadium with Coventry during the 2013-14 season following the latter’s protracted dispute with the owners of the Ricoh Arena.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Northampton Town have signed goalkeeper Adam Smith on a two-year deal – nine days after Smith was sacked by Leicester City for taking part in a racist sex film on a post-season tour to Thailand.

City sacked three players – the others being James Pearson, the son of the club’s manager, Nigel Pearson, and Tom Hopper – following an investigation into allegations that they had racially abused and made other offensive comments to women with whom they were engaging in sex acts in a Thai hotel room.

Among the allegations was that a player had called one of the women a “slit eye”. The video was alleged to have later been shared with friends in the UK.

The players issued swift apologies, but City, owned by the Thai billionaire Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and his son Aiyawatt, sacked the three and restated their commitment to “promoting a positive message of community and family values and equality”.

Announcing the decision to sign the 22-year-old Smith, subject to a medical, the Northampton manager, Chris Wilder, acknowledged the deal would be controversial. He told the club website: “I’m aware this signing will create debate.

“Adam was involved in an incident at Leicester was very wrong and he knows that better than anyone. He paid a price for that, he has apologised and is ashamed of what happened.

“But we also live in a society where, as long as people show genuine remorse, admit their mistake, learn from it and apologise then they deserve a second chance. Adam knows that and he is determined to take this chance.

“He is a very good goalkeeper, and one who needs to be in and around a first team place to push himself forward and I am sure he will prove a good addition.”

Smith said: “I got myself in a situation I am deeply ashamed of, and I am desperately sorry for that. I know the club here do a lot of anti-racism work and have a proud record in that area and I am keen to help the club with that.

“I am really sorry for what I was involved in but I need to put that stupid mistake behind me. I am really grateful for the second chance I have been offered here and I am determined to make the most of it.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Northampton Town Football Club has been given three weeks to pay back more than £10m to the borough council.

Northampton Borough Council said it has asked for the money back as the club has missed two repayments, as revealed by the Chronicle and Echo.

The council said it had been promised repayment when the club is sold but said the sale "does not seem to be proceeding".

Northampton Town chairman David Cardoza said he intends to repay the debt.

A council spokesman said legal notices have been issued to the club requiring the repayment of £10.25m.

If the sum is not repaid in full in three weeks the council will begin legal proceedings to recover the debt.

The council claims the last two repayments have been missed and it is not confident in the club's ability to repay the loan.

A spokesman said: "This step was not taken lightly, but is the proper process to protect the public purse and collect the debt in these circumstances.

"We continue to support the club and remain open to discussion on ways to deal with the debt owing."

The club, nicknamed The Cobblers, is in the process of being taken over by an Indian consortium.

Chairman Cardoza said talks regarding the takeover were "taking longer than anyone would have hoped" but said they were progressing.

He said: "We completely understand the urgency to bring matters to a conclusion and it is our intention to have the debt repaid."

The loan was originally given to the club for the re-development of its Sixfields stadium.

It was to be used to build the new East Stand, along with a hotel and conference centre, none of which have been completed.

There are some rumours amongst fans that this consortium doesn't even exist.

Cardoza has owned the club for a long time now and he's always been looking to develop the land around the stadium but he's faced a number of hurdles as the council wouldn't given him planning permission for anything he proposed the rumours are he's been losing £1m a year funding the club.

If the consortium doesn't exist or they decide to pull out the club will go in to administration and who knows if they'll survive they currently have a half built new stand after the contractor pulled off site because they weren't being paid so the question is where has the money borrowed from the council gone. Fans have already protested demanding answers but the answers might not be good news for cobblers fans.

The club has struggled a lot in recent seasons attendances dropping as a lot of the out of town fans from places like Milton Keynes have taken kids to watch MK Dons. They've fallen down the leagues 10 years ago they were a competitive league one side they were relegated to league two about 8 years ago and in that time they've made the playoffs once and almost been relegated to the conference twice.

The fact the council are calling in the loans to me says it could be all over for them especially if they're missing payments that sounds very fishy to me and it could be administration and probably relegation for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
League Two club Northampton Town have been issued with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

The petition relates to money outstanding following delays to a takeover, after an Indian consortium pulled out of purchasing the club.

This is separate to a £10.25m loan from the local council which the Cobblers have until Thursday to repay.

Northampton chairman David Cardoza has said he "fully expects the matter to be resolved by the end of next week".

The news comes after the London-based consortium, who have been known to be interested in the club since June, pulled out of the deal on Monday because of "a number of complications surrounding the proposed acquisition".

Cardoza said that the club have moved on to speak with other interested parties, who know of the HMRC discussions, and there would be "definite news very soon".

The BBC understands Northampton Town owes HMRC a "five-figure sum".

In a statement, a HMRC spokesperson said: "HMRC does not in general comment on the tax affairs of individual businesses, but our aim is to efficiently collect the debts due and to prevent things deteriorating further.

"We only initiate winding-up action where we believe this is the best way to protect both the interests of other taxpayers and creditors."

Meanwhile, the 21-day deadline to repay a loan from Northampton Borough Council is also on Thursday.

The original loan from the council was given to the club for the re-development of Sixfields Stadium, and was to be used to build the new East Stand, along with a hotel and conference centre - none of which have been completed.

One option the club is looking at to repay the council loan is to sell off land behind the East Stand, with at least two developers said to be interested.

"We are putting proposals to Northampton Borough Council regarding the repayment of the loan which we hope will prove satisfactory to them and that process is ongoing as we speak," said Cardoza.

"I fully appreciate that, off the pitch, there only seems to be bad news for supporters at the moment but we are working towards, and we believe we are close to, a conclusion on all matters that tidies up all of the issues surrounding the club and allows it to move forward to a much brighter future."

A Northampton Borough Council spokesman said: "Following this morning's announcement, we are contacting HMRC and are requesting an urgent meeting with them.

"Our priority now is to understand what is happening at the football club and the impact this action will have. When we have the facts on this, we will consult our legal advisors about the appropriate steps regarding our loan to the club."

Administration looks imminent for the Cobblers on the pitch they finally have a team worth watching they play some nice stuff and for the first time in ages they actually appear to look good going forward.

Off the pitch the clubs been poorly run god knows where that money from the council went and that half finished stand is no use to anyone it's a club with good potential but a lack of council backing hasn't helped as they've blocked any development plans around the ground that could help generate income.

If new owners are interested why not wait until the club goes in to administration and just pay off 20p in the £1 or whatever you settle on to it's debtors the team is probably good enough to survive the 12 point deduction and stay up this season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It is a cruel and unsettling contrast that as things fall apart off the pitch, Northampton Town’s performances on it are growing more impressive with each passing week. The club’s existence is in genuine threat due to a desperate state of financial affairs but the team sit fourth in League Two after Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Stevenage at Sixfields. Taking the football solely into account, they must be considered among the favourites for promotion.

First, though, an expanding list of monetary issues must be rectified and the harsh reality is that the club is a matter of weeks from being wound up. The chairman, David Cardoza, is still desperately seeking someone to take the club from his possession. A consortium of London-based Indian businessmen were said to be interested but then withdrew their interest “reluctantly” due to “insurmountable” complications. Little wonder potential buyers are hard to find as a court date looms on 16 November due to a winding-up order from HMRC, the council wanting repayment of a £10.25m loan and builders from the Buckingham Group having downed tools with the new East Stand half-finished because they are owed £3m.

More than a dozen flags were draped across the concrete structure, not that it made it look any less dismal. “Born to suffer” read one near the halfway line. The teams emerged to Harry J Allstars’ The Liquidator and it was difficult to think of a song more apposite considering the precarious state in which the club resides.

Just as well the supporters have a team worth getting excited about. In the face of such off-field adversity, on the pitch things have been going swimmingly for the Cobblers under the shrewd management of Chris Wilder.

Having gone behind – Steven Schumacher driving home off a post after capitalising on some slack defensive play from the home side to put Stevenage in front after 24 minutes – they knuckled down and dominated the second half to ensure a fifth win from eight. “It was a bit helter-skelter and not as controlled as we’d have liked,” Wilder said of the first half.

They dominated the second. Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck the equaliser four minutes after the restart and Alfie Potter scored the winner soon after the hour, both scrappy close-range attempts that should have been better dealt with by the visiting defence. “There was only going to be one winner in the second half,” Wilder concluded.

Heaps of credit should be piled on the players for their attitude. “As long as we are getting paid to allow us to support our families, then we won’t get too concerned,” said the captain Marc Richards. An unmistakable air of worry hung over the three usable stands, though. Outside the ground members of the Northampton Town Supporters Trust, the first of its kind, having been set up in 1992, encouraged those making their way for the turnstiles to bolster their ranks; 58 new members signed up. They will hold a town hall style meeting on Monday evening to “look forward to our future options” but as things stand, that future appears bleak.

Understandably emotions are running high. Before the game Emily Lomax, daughter of Brian, who founded the trust 23 years ago but was unable to attend the game due to ill health, delivered a passionate speech. “This is a battle you have to fight deeply,” she said, struggling to hold back the tears. “Don’t accept tin-pot saviours and two-bit con men.”

“We’ll never play you again,” taunted the Stevenage supporters. After a sluggish start to the campaign Teddy Sheringham’s team had shown signs of improvement by going three games unbeaten. Boro were full value for their lead at the interval, but they seldom threatened in the second half and have kept only one clean sheet all season. Asked what he could take from the game, Sheringham’s verdict was: “Not a lot.”

They struggled to keep tabs on the midfielder John-Joe O’Toole, with two of those aforementioned flags dedicated to the Harrow-born Republic of Ireland underage international.

Wilder removed O’Toole from the transfer list last week on account of his impressive run. Football issues seem trivial in the current climate, though, and while Wilder will be hoping focus is soon trained on such matters, treacherous obstacles must be negotiated first.