Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sheffield (Don't Mention Tevez Or Kenny) United
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Sheffield United will announce their new manager on Friday, with Danny Wilson believed to be the front runner to get the post.

Wilson, who left his last role at Swindon in March after a season of struggle, will become the Blades' fourth permanent manager in nine months and replace Micky Adams, who was sacked following the club's relegation to League One.

The appointment of the 51-year-old is sure to be met with some disappointment by United fans, as Wilson used to play and manage across the city at bitter rivals Sheffield Wednesday, while also managing in South Yorkshire at Barnsley.

Fellow former Tykes manager Mark Robins, who quit his post at Oakwell nearly a fortnight ago, is also in the running for the job at Bramall Lane.

The Blades have called a press conference for midday.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Sheffield United have announced the appointment of Danny Wilson as their new manager.

Wilson, who left his last role at Swindon in March after a season of struggle, becomes the Blades' fourth permanent manager in nine months and replaces Micky Adams after he was sacked following the club's relegation to League One.

The move has angered some United fans as Wilson, 51, used to play and manage across the city at bitter rivals Sheffield Wednesday while also managing in South Yorkshire at Barnsley.

Around 100 fans were at the ground protesting the appointment, with a banner stating "Love Utd, Hate Wilson!", with chants of "We Hate Wilson" and "Wilson Out" also being heard.

Fellow former Tykes manager Mark Robins, who quit his post at Oakwell nearly a fortnight ago, was also in the running for the job at Bramall Lane. But the Blades have moved for Wilson, who has signed a three-year contract.

ooooooh LUHW :|

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:01 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 15
They always get our ex staff....

Cheap option in my opinion. Mark Robbins would have been my choice?

LUHW? :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:19 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Sheffield United boss Danny Wilson has confirmed the club are close to finalising a deal to sign Kevin McDonald. The 22-year-old was released by Burnley at the end of last season and he has been training with the Blades in the hope of earning a contract.

Speaking to the Sheffield Star Wilson said: "Nothing is sorted out yet and we might be being a little premature but hopefully we'll be able to get something done. Fair play to Kevin. He's shown a commitment to being here because I know he could easily have gone and found himself another club."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

MATCH REPORT: Sheffield United 3 Colchester 0

IF being second in the table and level on points with leaders Charlton constitutes a crisis then Danny Wilson must be a very happy manager indeed.

Sheffield United, four days after suffering their first League One defeat of the season, responded by producing a performance which not only had “little old Colchester,” as his opposite number John Ward described them beforehand, professing respect but also their own players purring with delight.

It wasn’t quite like watching Brazil but, on this evidence, that midweek loss to Huddersfield Town was just a temporary blip in their mission to become known as South Yorkshire’s very own Selecao.

“When I got subbed I’ve got to admit that even I was sat on the bench enjoying watching the lads knock the ball around,” Stephen Quinn, the United midfielder, said. “I’ve been waiting a long time for someone to give me the opportunity to play this way.

“With the number of chances we created I reckon we could have got six, seven or eight goals but you’ve got to be pleased with that.

“To be perfectly honest, the manager’s philosophy has been a breath of fresh air and it’s exactly what the lads want.

“Okay, I know results have got a big part to play.

“But because we’re getting the opportunity to express ourselves means we’re all really enjoying ourselves not on only on the pitch but even in training too.”

Ward had spoken of entering the “lions’ den” ahead of kick-off and his team were mauled by opponents who, having faced some stinging criticism following their loss to Lee Clark’s side, appeared determined to set the record straight.

With Ched Evans and Chris Porter both writing their names on the scoresheet having been paired together in a new-look attack and goalkeeper Steve Simonsen, who had come under particular scrutiny, assured between the posts, it was pretty much the perfect afternoon for Wilson and assistant Frank Barlow.

“What pleased me the most about that was the fact it was a real all-round effort,” said Wilson. “Everyone contributed to that.

“We did ever so well but I still think we can do better. There are still things we need to work on and still plenty more to come.

“It wasn’t easy leaving Cressy (Richard Cresswell), our top scorer, out because he’s been superb for me, and he was disappointed as I’d expect.

“But I thought Ched and Chris did really, really well out there.

“Not only because they scored but in terms of the link-up play as well.”

United carved Colchester apart at will.

Evans, who has now netted twice in three appearances since returning from long-term injury, converted when Porter helped on Kevin McDonald’s chip into the box before his strike partner dispatched a

perfectly-executed finish following some incisive work by Harry Maguire.

“It’s great to have Ched back,” Quinn, who completed the scoring from Evans’ pass, admitted. “He’s been champing at the bit in training and there’s no doubt about it, he’s a class act.”

Evans, who also hit the underside of the crossbar with a glancing header, dominated his marker, Matt Heath, to such an extent that the Colchester defender was withdrawn a quarter of an hour before the interval while his fellow defender, Magnus Okuonghae, fared little better against Porter.

Anthony Wordsworth, the visitors’ in-form attacker, posed the main threat to a United rearguard superbly marshalled by Neill Collins and Maguire.

But, on the rare occasion Colchester found a way through, Simonsen thwarted their ambitions.

“I actually thought Simmo did okay against Huddersfield,” said Wilson. “He made one mistake and everyone jumped on it. That was a little bit uncalled for because nobody notices if one of the other lads misplaces a pass or does something like that.

“But we put our arm around him afterwards because we don’t apportion blame or point fingers in the dressing room.”

With Porter and Matthew Lowton also going close - the latter hitting the crossbar after choosing to shoot rather than pass to his colleague - for long periods it appeared as if complacency rather than Colchester was United’s greatest enemy.

“I thought we played well against Huddersfield and we spoke a lot about starting this game like we ended that one,” said Quinn.

“We did that. We got out of the traps early and took things from there.”

Manager’s View

That was the only way to bounce back. I actually thought we played well against Huddersfield in midweek and we simply carried that on into this game. The really pleasing thing for me is that we are creating chances, creating them from across the pitch.

Post subject: Re: Sheffield (Don't Mention Ched Evans Or Kenny) United
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:52 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Quote:
United land Chris O’Grady

The Blades’ long-running pursuit of Chris O’Grady reached a successful conclusion as the powerful forward joined on loan from Brighton until January.

United have been short of goals this season but Clough will be confident he has the answer in a striker who scored 15 goals in the Championship last season.

Clough was confident enough in the O’Grady capture to allow young forward Diego De Girolamo to rejoin York on loan until January.

Traitor! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :hitler:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nigel Clough sacked

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sheffield United midfielder Jose Baxter has been given a five-month ban for a failed drugs test - but will be able to play at the start of the season.

Baxter was suspended by the club in May after he failed an out-of-competition test, but denied any wrongdoing.

The 23-year-old was found guilty at a Football Association personal hearing.

However the remaining three months of the ban have been suspended for two years so he is available for the Blades' first league game on 8 August.

BBC Radio Sheffield reports that at the hearing last week, Baxter denied any intentional wrongdoing, adding the traces of ecstasy found in his system were as a result of his drink being spiked.

Still makes you wonder how the FA ended up banning Rio for 8 months which saw him miss Euro 2004

This guy has basically been banned for 2 months while there has been no football on.

The my drink was spiked excuse is about as plausible as the Rio forgetting one as IIRC Rio took a test within a few days of him missing one which he passed with no problems.