AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Newcastle United: Tooooooooooon Army
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tim Krul out for the season with crucial ligament injury on international duty.

Big blow to them

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Be devastated if they get relegated :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I find them a really tough team to judge I mean first half the other week they battered City but didn't take the chances then let in a goal and just fall to bits.

The way they've performed the last few seasons them and Sunderland both deserve to go down.

Newcastle seem to have tried to do something about the squad this summer but so far the signings don't look great McLaren needs to start winning matches fast otherwise they're goners.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Agreed a fee in the region of £12m with Swansea for Jonjo Shelvey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Good signing for Newcastle!

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:22 am 
Colonel
Colonel

He apparently had an altercation with some swans fans after the Oxford game. Was very lazy on their third goal I think it was. He's such an idiot though it does my head in. Has a fair amount of talent but appears questionable attitude/application!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yeah he reminds me a bit of Charlie Adam obviously talented but not particularly consistent and while Adam has probably matured a little Shelvey still has that combustable side to him where he can let his team down.

In both cases they're players who always want to get on the ball they don't hide so when they're having a bad game and the passing isn't getting going you really notice it.

You might get a good burst off him where he feels he's got a point to prove then he'll think i've proved my point and drop off again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Newcastle United’s Cheick Tioté has agreed personal terms with Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua and is set to complete his £8m move next week.

The Ivory Coast international has fallen down the pecking order at St James’ Park under Steve McClaren, playing just 566 minutes in the Premier League so far this season. The arrival of Jonjo Shelvey from Swansea this week for £12m has provided more competition in central midfield, with Newcastle also having signed Henri Saivet from Bordeaux for £4.5m.

Tioté, who joined in £3.5m from Dutch side Twente in 2010 having won the title under McClaren, will fly to China next week for a medical. If successful, the 29-year-old will sign a three-year contract believed to be worth around £70,000 a week.

Tioté will join former Newcastle and Chelsea striker Demba Ba in Shanghai, with the team currently sixth in the Chinese Super League.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jonjo Shelvey walked through the front door of his house in south Wales and felt like crying. After being shunted to the margins of Swansea City’s squad, the England midfielder desperately needed answers to some pressing questions so he picked up the phone and dialled a number reserved for emergencies.

“I came home one day after I’d been dropped against Manchester City and I was nearly in tears,” says Shelvey, sitting in a quiet corner of Newcastle United’s training ground.

“I rang the chairman, Huw Jenkins, and asked what was going on, why I wasn’t playing. He said he didn’t feel my head was right and that the manager had said that.

“I felt forced out of the club. I never once asked to leave Swansea. I’m a very lucky boy that a club like Newcastle has offered me a way out.

“But, obviously, it’s going to be Swansea’s loss in the end. I might sound big-headed but I feel I’m too good not to play football.”

It is a month after that call to Jenkins and, as Shelvey prepares to make his debut against West Ham United at St James’ Park on Saturday Steve McClaren probably cannot believe his luck that a relegation rival was prepared to sell him their star midfielder for £12m.

The precise details of what happened at Swansea remain opaque but Shelvey was first dropped shortly before Garry Monk’s sacking last month and subsequently barely featured under Alan Curtis.

“The new manager would just say: ‘You don’t suit Swansea’s style of play,’” says the player who is 24 next month. “Yet the team hadn’t won for a few weeks. I knew I wasn’t going to get any games under him – he’s got his team and his players and I didn’t feel part of that.

“The Swansea fans got on my back a bit at the end but they didn’t know what was going on. When I was at home I was down around the house but I was training hard and competing for a place in the team. I felt a bit hard done by. I was so shocked I wasn’t named in the squads.”

It seems Shelvey was not alone. “I had players coming up to me surprised and asking: ‘What have you done? Why aren’t you playing? What’s going on?’ I honestly couldn’t tell them. I couldn’t put my finger on it.”

Meanwhile, speculation about his supposed “attitude problem” and perceived “immaturity” continued to swirl. “The criticism does hurt you,” he says.

“People just see what’s been written but you can’t judge someone until you know them as a person. At Swansea there were a lot of rumours going around without people knowing what was going on behind the scenes. But I’ll show Newcastle fans I haven’t got a bad attitude.”

Hearts and minds will swiftly be won over on Tyneside if he lifts McClaren’s side out of the bottom three. “I’ve always admired Newcastle, it’s a great club and a great city,” says the former Charlton player from east London. “Since the rumours about me coming here started a couple of months ago I’ve watched nufcTV on YouTube quite a bit in bed. I’ve watched the last few games and they were battering teams, they’ve just been unlucky – but with me, Henri [Saivet, another midfielder, signed from Bordeaux for £4.5m this week] and a couple more signings we can stay up.

“It wasn’t really a risk coming here; the club I’ve just left are also lingering around the relegation zone. This squad’s just as good, if not better, than Swansea’s. Joining Newcastle was a no-brainer.”

McClaren trusts Shelvey will supply much of the leadership and a little of the nastiness conspicuous by its absence among his largely young, principally foreign, squad.

“If the ball’s there to be won then I won’t back out of a challenge – although I won’t go around booting people,” he says. “I’ll put my foot in and be a leader and get the team going. If the fans see that then they’ll get behind us. My dad keeps saying how big a club this is and that there’ll be a lot of pressure here but I can handle it. I’m here to help keep us up.”

He was checking out the shops at the nearby MetroCentre – “I didn’t realise how big it is!” – on Thursday evening when he received a congratulatory call from Kenny Dalglish, his manager and mentor at Liverpool and a former manager of Newcastle.

“Kenny said: ‘You’ve got bundles of ability, get yourself right and the fans will love you up there.’ What a thing for one of the best players in the world of all time to ring you and say that,” he says. “It was a big thing for me – and my dad. It means a lot.

“Now I need to knuckle down, get my mind and body right and hopefully get in the England squad for Euro 2016. It’s down to me. I’ve been a bit inconsistent in the past but I can’t afford that any more. The penny’s got to drop now.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:23 am 
Major General
Major General

Had a good game today ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Andros Townsend looks certain to move from Tottenham to Newcastle with the clubs close to agreeing a compromise over the fee for the England winger.

Townsend, who has barely featured for Spurs this campaign and has played only 64 minutes in the Premier League in total, has been targeted by Newcastle’s manager, Steve McClaren, for several weeks as he seeks to strengthen his squad for the battle against relegation.

Tottenham’s chairman, Daniel Levy, had originally demanded that they pay £14m to secure the 24-year-old and rejected Newcastle’s opening offer of £10m earlier this month.

AdvertisementHide
But with Mauricio Pochettino keen to free up space in his squad, the Tottenham manager has personally intervened to request that the club accepts a lower bid – understood to be somewhere in the middle of the two clubs’ valuations. Levy is believed to have sanctioned the move in principle and now Townsend will discuss personal terms with Newcastle but is expected to sign for the club in the next 48 hours.

Having been a regular in Roy Hodgson’s England squad last season, Townsend was banished from Spurs’ first team after clashing with the fitness coach, Nathan Gardiner, and forced to train with the Under-21s. He has not played for Tottenham’s first team since and it is now nearly two years since he completed a full Premier League match for the club.

But it is understood that Pochettino has been impressed with Townsend’s attitude since being frozen out of the first team picture and was keen to allow him to find another club as a goodwill gesture.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nufc extremely serious and ready to bid 20m for Lacazette.

wow. now that would be a coup!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Lacazette is struggled this season although he's picked up a little bit lately I know they've missed Fekir for most of the season who created a lot of the chances for him last year. It's a gamble on someone who might be a bit of a one season wonder but they need a striker and it seems like Ashley is prepared to spend the money now to avoid missing out on the big TV pay day that starts next season.

Seems like they're close to a £12m deal for Andros Townsend as well who's career has stalled massively.

Both players should have points to prove as they're currently out of the international picture for Euro 2016.

If they could get some defensive reinforcements as well I think they'll be fine they've been playing pretty well lately but they let in to many goals but I guess quality CB's are hard to find currently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:28 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I think Townsend is a fairly decent signing, £12mil seems about the right price for a young English player whose career has halted recently.

Shelvey is a really good piece of business.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
I think Townsend is a fairly decent signing, £12mil seems about the right price for a young English player whose career has halted recently.

Shelvey is a really good piece of business.

I think they're overpriced relative to foreign talent for example what did Arsenal play for Elneny who's played quite a bit of Champions League & International football over 3-4 seasons? However, for a prem club to prem club deal they both seem like pretty reasonable prices if they help keep Newcastle up then it's money well spent at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:43 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
True, but foreign signings are usually more of a risk. With Prem to Prem, and especially English players, you can have a fairly decent idea of what you're getting.

There will always be cheaper foreign alternatives. I saw a couple of quotes on twitter comparing the fee to what West Ham paid for Payet, however what that doesn't take into account is the tens of other foreign signings clubs make for similar amounts that don't work out. Newcastle probably know this better than anyone, they seem to sign a hell of a lot of foreign players and not that many seem to actually be any good. Thauvin is a prime example of a player looking good elsewhere, coming in and playing like he'd never seen a ball before.

I think it's the right move for Newcastle. Pay a bit extra but have a slightly better idea of what you'll be getting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Worst defence of last season. £100m spent this season now. £7m on the defence.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Thing with Payet is I'm guessing he's probably earning more in wages than Townsend plus he's about 28 so he has no real sell on value in a few years time as he'll be past 30 whereas if Townsend has 2-3 good seasons they'll easily get their money back and more for him.

Also, you were buying from a club Marseilles who needed cash after missing out on CL whereas Tottenham don't really need the money.

My issue with the £12m is you're buying a player who had a good 6 months about 2 years ago and has struggled since as my honest assessment is his game is very basic and teams worked him out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Apparently bid of £21m has gone in for Berahino

Big bucks being spent by Newcastle on young English talent that has a point to prove could really give that club the boost it needs if these guys come off.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Steve McClaren has spent most of a vexing season in calm and measured mode but on Friday Newcastle United’s manager finally lost his cool and ended up in a furious row with a journalist.

The pair had to be separated after McClaren accused the journalist, a former Newcastle employee, of writing half-lies and pursuing a negative agenda after being “released” by the club. The reporter responded by saying the manager was out of his depth.

McClaren, whose future will be in serious doubt if Newcastle fail to win at home to Bournemouth on Saturday, snapped when asked by television reporters about the journalist’s story that the club’s players were surprised McClaren had not been sacked and there were tensions between the backroom staff.

“Someone told me about it, and unfortunately it’s been done, obviously, by a journalist who for the last 18 months has written nothing but negative things about Newcastle, a journalist who used to work at this football club and who four or five years ago was released from this club,” said McClaren. “Whatever that journalist writes I’m afraid I don’t read it. That article is half-truths and half-lies. It destabilises everything we are trying to do in the dressing room. We have to ignore it.”

As the broadcast segment of a media conference drew to a close the journalist pursued Newcastle’s manager out of the room. Annoyed by suggestions he had an agenda against the club and that his material was inaccurate he and offered a vigorous defence of his position. “Don’t you dare accuse me of having an agenda,” he said. “You are second bottom of the league. Is this your latest excuse? You’re the problem not me. Walk away Steve, smile, grin. He has been out of his depth since the moment he walked in.”

Eventually the warring pair repaired to a quiet corner for a private conversation. McClaren apologised for mentioning the fact a reporter he has praised in the past had worked for Newcastle some years ago and an amicable truce was reached.

Maybe it was all an elaborate attempt to create a siege mentality while deflecting attention from the team’s struggles to escape the bottom three and the need to beat Bournemouth, but it felt as if the report had touched a few raw nerves. When asked if his players were still behind him, McClaren said: “Absolutely, absolutely.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next