AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Villa: Doin The Lambert Walk
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Haven't followed his progress in Italy but that sounds like it would be an excellent signing for them.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I believe he struggled to nail down a first team spot a quick check on Wiki says he made 10 appearences in the league plus 9 in Europa League/cups so he was clearly a reserve.

Still haven't really seen an answer as to why he went from rotating with Zabaleta to dissapearing in the following 2 seasons.

I've heard rumours that he enjoys the nightlife a bit to much for some managers and he doesn't always follow instruction but if they can get him fit and find the form he had 2 or 3 seasons back he'd be a great signing but that is a huge IF.

Shows how far he's fallen 3 summers ago he could've had his pick of clubs now he's got Villa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa have shown their faith in Micah Richards to recapture his best form by signing him on a four-year contract and offering him the chance to re-establish himself in the centre of their defence rather than as a full-back.

Villa confirmed on Wednesday that a deal had been completed for Richards to join on 1 July, with their manager, Tim Sherwood, considering using him as a centre-half amid growing doubts about Ron Vlaar’s future at the club.

Vlaar is approaching the end of his contract, with several offers elsewhere, and one of the reasons Sherwood was tempted by Richards is because the 26-year-old started his career in that central role. Richards eventually moved to the right-back spot for Manchester City but likes the idea of the positional change and the opportunity to find regular first-team football. He is on a free transfer after reaching the end of his contract at Manchester City.

Richards has spent the last year on loan at Fiorentina and, while enjoying his time in Serie A, it was always in his mind to return to the Premier League. Sunderland had also spoken to him at length about joining them as a centre-back and there was interest from Everton and West Ham United in the player who, at 18, took Rio Ferdinand’s record as the youngest defender to win an England cap.

In total, Richards has made 13 appearances for England but none since February 2012 when Stuart Pearce stepped in as interim manager after Fabio Capello’s departure.

Sherwood told Villa’s website: “I’m really pleased to get Micah on board and I’m sure he will prove to be an excellent signing for the football club.”

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:10 am 
Major General
Major General

Great signing for villa .. Mancini fecked him up at RB position but he was always CB .. Could prove to be big bargain .. Always liked him ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ray Wilkins is to join the coaching staff at Aston Villa after holding talks with Tim Sherwood. The 58-year-old has revealed he is to link up with Sherwood at Villa Park as the club attempt to move on from last season’s fight for Premier League survival.

Wilkins told Sky Sports News: “I was talking to Tim Sherwood – I have been for the last couple of weeks – about going on board and joining the coaching staff and assisting. Tim has just now confirmed that I will be going on board. I’m absolutely thrilled to be back involved.

“There’s only one place to be – the Premier League is the place to go in, and I will be assisting Kevin McDonald, Tim and the whole shooting match. Over my coaching career, I’ve been involved with a lot of managers of an extremely high level, and I’ve learnt off each and every one of them. Hopefully I can give the lads at Villa that type of experience.”

The former England midfielder Wilkins, who enjoyed a glittering playing career with Chelsea, Manchester United, Milan and Paris Saint-Germain among others, served on the staff at Stamford Bridge under Gianluca Vialli, Luiz Felipe Scolari and Carlo Ancelotti in two spells and has worked with England’s under-21s and managed the Jordan national side.

He will hope to bring his extensive knowledge of the game to Villa, who eventually finished last season 17th in the Premier League, three points clear of the drop zone after a concerted late push got them out of trouble.

Wilkins said: “They should be a top-10 team in the Premier League, simple as that. They showed at the end of last season what they can achieve, and we’ll work hard to do that. They’ve got a good squad, but it can work a lot better and a lot harder.”

Post subject: Re: Aston Vila
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Liverpool are set to step up their pursuit of Christian Benteke in the wake of Raheem Sterling’s departure to Manchester City but Aston Villa remain adamant that the Belgium international will not be allowed to leave unless the £32.5m buyout clause in his contract is met.

Talks will take place between Liverpool and Villa over the coming days now that the Sterling saga is over, with Benteke seen as the proven Premier League goalscorer that Brendan Rodgers needs to give his team the cutting edge that was so badly missing last season.

Liverpool have been reluctant to make an offer that would automatically trigger a deal for Benteke, with the feeling inside Anfield being that £32.5m exceeds the player’s valuation. That stance will need to change, however, if Liverpool are serious about signing a player who has scored 42 Premier League goals for Villa across three relegation-threatened seasons.

Villa intend to dig their heels in over Benteke’s price and are not concerned that they run the risk of the player still being at the club next summer with only 12 months remaining on his contract.

For Benteke, who has made it clear to Villa that he wants to leave, there is a feeling that the next week will be critical in terms of whether there is a breakthrough and Liverpool’s interest turns into something more concrete.

Tim Sherwood, the Villa manager, sounded bemused at the idea that Liverpool, with so many forwards already at the club, would be interested in signing Benteke. “I looked the other day. I think they’ve got six or seven strikers at the club now. I’m not sure how many they actually need,” Sherwood said.

“We know Christian is a very good player and we want to keep hold of him. If someone matches that buyout clause, there’s nothing we can do about it. But until that happens he’s an Aston Villa player and we’re all very pleased about that.

“I think Christian is worth more than £32m. But we don’t want to sell him. We don’t want the £32m. It’s very hard to spend that sort of money. When you’re losing a player and trying to bring in someone to subsidise it, it’s almost impossible.”

Sherwood also confirmed that Randy Lerner is likely to remain as Villa’s owner for the foreseeable future, after the manager claimed that a possible takeover has collapsed. “I think it’s dead now, to be honest,” Sherwood said. “It was fairly live and I think the people who were talking are now not there.

“The chairman is picking it up and running with it now. I’m not sure if anyone is too close now. Until it’s done it’s never there. Randy hasn’t said [it’s over] but he is the one who is making the decisions regarding the players. He is willing to back us to the hilt.

“But he can only back us to the tune of financial fair play. That means there might have to be some exits from the club before we can get in some more.”

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:31 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

lol...Delph to City ON again

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa have signed the Ghanaian striker Jordan Ayew for an undisclosed fee with the 23-year-old signing a five-year contract at Villa Park after leaving the Ligue 1 club Lorient.

The Villa manager, Tim Sherwood, told the club’s website: “I’m really pleased to bring Jordan to the football club. He is a fantastic young player who is perfectly suited to the Premier League.”

Before the move was completed, Ayew had accused Lorient of pricing him out of his expected transfer. claiming that the Ligue 1 club raised their demands at the last minute. “They said I could go for €10m or €12m,” he told L’Equipe, “but now they want £10m with £2m in add-ons, which makes it about €17m. It’s nonsense! I’m really annoyed, it’s amazing what they are doing to me. They pointed out how many millions Villa paid for [Jordan] Amavi [£10m] but I’m not Amavi. We’re two different players.”

The 23-year-old, whose brother André joined Swansea City this summer from Marseille, scored 12 league goals last season and is the third player to join the club from Ligue 1 during the summer transfer window after the arrivals of Jordan Amavi and Idrissa Gueye.

Earlier on Monday, Córdoba announced that they have reached an agreement with to Aston Villa to sell José Ángel Crespo. The 28-year-old, a full-back who can play on either side, represented Spain at under-21 level and made 27 appearances for the Andalusian club last season

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Adebayor on his way to Villa for a medical ahead of a loan move from Spurs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa have signed the French midfielder Jordan Veretout from Nantes and confirmed the arrival of the Benin striker Rudy Gestede from Blackburn Rovers.

Veretout joins for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal from the Ligue 1 club, with the France Under-21 international having been linked with a move to the Premier League throughout the summer.

Tim Sherwood said: “I’m really pleased Jordan decided to choose Aston Villa over the other options he had and opt to continue his development with us. He is only 22 but he is vastly experienced for someone that age.” The Villa manager added: He has played over 140 games in France and is a really exciting young player. I know he is very highly rated so we are delighted to get this deal over the line.”

Gestede has also joined on a five-year deal from Championship club Blackburn, with the fee undisclosed. He scored 22 goals for Blackburn last season, having joined from Cardiff City in January 2014 after a successful loan.

Sherwood said: “I’ve known about Rudy since he was at Cardiff City and he is a player I’ve always admired. His goalscoring ratio last season was fantastic and he is someone who certainly knows how to find the back of the net. He’s a big, physical striker but he can play and I’m pleased to welcome him to the football club.”

Veretout and Gestede are the eighth and ninth players to arrive at Villa Park this summer – and Veretout is the fourth to arrive from Ligue 1 after Jordan Amavi, Idrissa Gueye and Jordan Ayew as Sherwood looks to refresh a squad who finished three points above the drop zone last season, and the fourth to arrive from the French first division.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Leandro Bacuna has signed a new five-year contract at Aston Villa. The Dutch right-back signed his new long-term deal on Thursday to follow Ashley Westwood in committing his future to the club.

Bacuna told the club’s official website: “I feel I can really develop here and show my worth to the team and I think there are bright times ahead.”

He moved to Villa from Groningen in June 2013 and has made 66 appearances, scoring six times, after joining under the club’s former manager Paul Lambert. Bacuna has kept his place under Tim Sherwood and has started ahead of Alan Hutton at right-back this season.

Bacuna, who turns 24 on Friday, added: “I am absolutely thrilled to sign a new contract and continue my time at Aston Villa. I love it here and am really excited about my future in claret and blue under the manager.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa’s non-executive director has rubbished claims that Tim Sherwood has only two games to save his job, insisting that the owner, Randy Lerner, wants a manager for “the long term”.

General Charles C Krulak – a veteran of the Vietnam and Gulf Wars – was installed on the club’s board in 2006 and retains close links to Lerner. With Villa in the relegation zone, having picked up just four points from their opening eight matches this season, pressure has been mounting on Sherwood.

But despite reports that the former Tottenham manager could be dismissed if they lose forthcoming games against Chelsea and Swansea, Krulak has denied that is the case.

“We realise there is concern amongst our supporters. I see that on their message boards and I see that on social media as well,” Krulak told The Sun.

“This is a critical point in a season, we know. I speak to Randy just about every day and we are still convinced we have good players and a good team.

“There has been a bit of bad luck along the way. To say Tim Sherwood has to win those games to survive is pure speculation. Randy has always wanted continuity and someone there for the long term.”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:04 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Tim's gone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa are beginning a search for their third manager in the space of little more than eight months after Tim Sherwood was sacked.

Sherwood’s position became untenable after Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at home against Swansea City, which left the Midlands club second from bottom and with only point from their last nine matches, and the manager was informed on Sunday morning that he had been relieved of his duties.

Villa accept that Sherwood is not solely responsible for the mess that the club are in but it was inevitable that the manager would pay the price for a disastrous start to the season. Attention now turns to Sherwood’s successor, with David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers likely to be the leading candidates.

In a statement on the Villa website, the club confirmed that Ray Wilkins, the assistant manager, Mark Robson, the first-team coach, and Seamus Brady, the performance analyst, had departed with Sherwood and that Kevin MacDonald would be taking charge of the team in the interim period.

The statement said: “Aston Villa Football Club has parted company with manager Tim Sherwood today. The board has monitored the performances closely all season and believes the results on the pitch were simply not good enough and that a change is imperative.

“However, the club would like to place on record its sincere thanks to Tim for all his efforts during a difficult period last season and for the many positive contributions he has made to the entire football setup during his time with the club. We wish him well in the future.”

Appointed in February as Paul Lambert’s replacement, Sherwood kept Villa up against the odds – he inherited a team that was 18th and dropping like a stone after winning only two of their previous 21 league matches – and took the Midlands club to their first FA Cup final in 15 years, yet everything unravelled spectacularly this season.

Villa won at Bournemouth on the opening day but lost eight of their next nine leagues games, including six on the spin, to leave them 19th on Saturday night. Sherwood never recovered from losing Fabian Delph, Tom Cleverley and in particular Christian Benteke, all of whom moved on in the summer, and he clearly had major reservations about many of the 13 players that arrived as well as the role of Hendrik Almstadt, who was appointed sporting director in July.

Sherwood’s comments about the ability level of the players after the Swansea defeat were damning. He said that there was “a lack of quality” in the team and that they were “carrying” players. “We can’t do any more as coaches and managers, we’re working as hard as we can, and the players can’t do more regarding effort,” Sherwood said. “They can only give us what they can give us, we can’t turn them into superstars.”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Remi Garde apparently in advanced talks to take over

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa will appoint ex-Lyon boss Remi Garde as their new manager on Monday - replacing Tim Sherwood.

The Frenchman will sign a three-and-a-half-year deal and will watch Monday's trip to Tottenham from the stands.

The 49-year-old inherits a team bottom of the Premier League with just four points from 10 games.

Bastia coach Reginald Ray will become Garde's assistant and the pair will take charge for the home fixture against Manchester City next Sunday.

Garde guided Lyon to league finishes of fourth, third and fifth during three seasons from 2011 before leaving in 2014 for "personal and family" reasons.

Who is Remi Garde?

The former midfielder - who was Arsene Wenger's first signing at Arsenal - was capped six times by his country. After retiring from playing at the age of 33, he coached at Lyon before becoming manager in 2011.

Wenger confirmed Villa's chief executive Tom Fox - a former Arsenal employee himself - had been in touch to discuss Garde's pedigree.

Garde - who also played for Lyon and Strasbourg - was assistant to former Villa boss Gerard Houllier at Lyon and the pair discussed the Midlands club this week.

"I told him it was a great club with excellent facilities, a very good fanbase and they have a chairman that backs you," Houllier told the Daily Telegraph.

"He is not somebody who has no experience, he speaks the English language and will get his ideas and philosophy across. His philosophy will be attack-minded, he likes to build his teams from the back."

Garde's only major honour as a manager arrived in 2012, when he guided Lyon to the French Cup.

Garde's tough task ahead

Sherwood was in charge for eight months and kept Villa in the Premier League last season as well as reaching the FA Cup final.

But they lost key duo Fabian Delph and Christian Benteke during the summer and Villa have not won a league game since the opening day of the season. Sherwood was sacked after defeat against Swansea. It was Villa's fourth straight top-flight loss.

The club invested more than £8m on Jordan Ayew, as well as £7m on Jordan Amavi and £7m on Jordan Veretout during the summer.

And BBC Radio 5 live's Midlands football reporter Pat Murphy said: "Garde will be expected to get more out of the more inexperienced French speaking players. The feeling still remains though that these players actually might not be good enough.

"Whichever way you look at it, whatever way Villa try to dress up Garde's pedigree and potential, it still is a major gamble by owner Randy Lerner to appoint a highly talented, promising young manager in his first job as a manager outside of France. He's really got to hit the ground running straight away."

Seems a logical choice they have bought in a lot of young players who are French speakers and Garde has playing experience in England so the way the game is played won't be a shock to him.

He did well at Lyon working on a low budget with young players but he needs the experienced heads like Guzan, Richards & Lescott to really make them solid but imo they are all well past their best.

Still think they'll do well to stay up as the players just aren't good enough the only thing that might save them is Sunderland, Norwich & Bournemouth all look in a similar situation. I think Newcastle will get their act together at some point and have a run where they get a few wins and put some points on the board that keep them up.

Looks like 3 from 5 at the moment for the drop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Tom Fox, Aston Villa Chief Executive, said: "For the past year we have been working purposefully to transform the Club in order to build a successful organisation that can compete and succeed in the Premier League.

"Finding a manager who shares and believes in our vision and has the ability to bring it to life through performances on the pitch is essential. We are confident that Rémi is the manager who can deliver the best from the current squad and help set the club up for future success".

Rémi Garde said: "It is an unbelievable honour to be the manager of such an illustrious football club.

"I've had extremely positive meetings with both the owner, Randy Lerner, and Chief Executive Tom Fox. They have ambitious plans for the Club and I'm excited that they have turned to me to help them realise them.

"Obviously we have a difficult task in front of us but I'm looking forward to the challenge with the support of everyone who loves Aston Villa."

Chairman Randy Lerner added: "Rémi came with ideas, honesty, humour and a steely sense of what it will take for Aston Villa to be what it is meant to be - hard working, tireless, creative and unwilling to concede.

"Nobody at Villa can deny that we are way behind. We recruited aggressively this past summer and it is our responsibility to now harvest this talent rather than buckle under pressure and criticism - we are better than that. On behalf of the Board we wish Rémi every success."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tom Fox, Aston Villa Chief Executive, said: "For the past year we have been working purposefully to transform the Club in order to build a successful organisation that can compete and succeed in the Premier League.

"Finding a manager who shares and believes in our vision and has the ability to bring it to life through performances on the pitch is essential. We are confident that Rémi is the manager who can deliver the best from the current squad and help set the club up for future success".

So what was the point of Sherwood?

Garde was available at this point but maybe they couldn't get him.

Everyone knows the owner wants to sell it but he can't find anyone to take it off his hands as it's obviously just a money pit for any serious investor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish has been dropped from the first-team squad and will train with the under-21s for the foreseeable future.

Manager Remi Garde took the decision following reports that the 20-year-old visited a Manchester nightclub after the 4-0 defeat at Everton on Saturday.

Villa, who are bottom of the Premier League, play Watford on Saturday.

"You have to behave as a professional and it was not the case this time for Jack," said Garde.

"He will not play with us, which is already a big punishment for a player. Now we will see the next step."

Garde refused to say how long Grealish would be with the under-21s, adding: "Jack knows, but it is staying private with him and with me."

Grealish in trouble again

Grealish was warned about his off-field behaviour in April by then Villa boss Tim Sherwood after he was photographed apparently taking nitrous oxide.

In June, Villa said they would speak to the player after photographs were published appearing to show him lying in the street while on holiday in Tenerife.

Grealish, a product of Villa's academy, made his first-team debut in the penultimate game of the 2013-14 season.

He helped the club narrowly avoid relegation last season as well as reaching the FA Cup final.

Grealish recently opted to play for England, despite having represented Republic of Ireland Under-21s.

After the defeat at Goodison Park, Grealish chose to stay in the north-west rather than return to the Midlands with the Villa squad.

"Sometimes, players in every country ask to stay in the city where we are playing," said Garde.

"It is not a problem for me; it can happen once or twice during a season. The problem for me was not him not being on the bus.

"Jack has got a lot of ability but he needs to improve his game and work at it."

I really think this is making a mountain out of a molehill after the game surely he's free to do what he wants and it's not like he was out breaking the law he had a night out when he had the following day off.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Ridiculous. He's a kid whose got the next day off. What's wrong with a night out. I could agree if it was the day before the game.

Also why does he have to get the bus back. The games over he's got plans in Liverpool what's the problem?

But with age my hopes have faded

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next