AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aston Vila
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Ridiculous. He's a kid whose got the next day off. What's wrong with a night out. I could agree if it was the day before the game.

Also why does he have to get the bus back. The games over he's got plans in Liverpool what's the problem?

Well his employer sets the rules one of the drawbacks of being a footballer is you give up certain freedoms and follow the rules. If he hasn't got permission to not travel back with the team he shouldn't have done it.

It's not really clear from the managers comments if he did or didn't have permission but it's sort of implied that he wasn't given permission to do what he did.

I think Villa are trying to help him he's obviously a target for the papers now he has this reputation and he either needs to wise up and learn how to do it on the sly like other players do or question who from his group of "mates" is tipping the press off about this sort of stuff. Sadly when you're team is losing and you get seen out on the town the press will kick off about it maybe he just needs to be a bit wiser about it as it doesn't look good.

Footballer goes out after match really shouldn't be worthy of the newspaper but sadly in the modern world it is front page news.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The former Bank of England governor Mervyn King has joined the board of struggling Premier League football club Aston Villa.

Lord King, a lifelong Villa fan, joins a club seemingly destined for relegation, given they are six points adrift at the foot of the table and failed to sign any players in the January transfer window.

Aston Villa’s chairman, Steve Hollis, likened the task that King faces to battling the fallout from the financial crisis.

“Mervyn successfully steered the Bank of England through the most turbulent economic headwinds in living memory,” he said. “His appointment to the board is a huge boost as we plan our path back to more successful times.”

King said: “I watched my first match at Villa Park more than 55 years ago, and have experienced the highs and the lows since then. I shall do my best to help the rebuilding of Aston Villa football club as together we return it to its position as one of the top clubs in the world.”

During his time at the Bank, King is understood to have discussed monetary policy with Aston Villa’s German midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger in email exchanges.

And King, who became chairman of Worcestershire county cricket club in 2014, once organised a charity game at Threadneedle Street between Bank employees and former Villa players from the club’s 1982 European Cup-winning side.

Villa’s latest signing became Bank of England governor in 2003 and held the post for a decade.

He was appointed a life peer by the Queen in 2013, entering the House of Lords as Baron King of Lothbury.

As governor, King, 67, was among the most powerful Villa fans, alongside Prince William and the prime minister, David Cameron.

However, during the 2015 general election campaign, Cameron was mocked after mistakenly claiming that he supports West Ham, who play in similar colours to Villa.

King’s successor as governor, the Canadian Mark Carney, is a diehard Everton fan.

King is the second high-profile economist to join the board of a struggling Premier League club this season, after Norwich City appointed the former shadow chancellor Ed Balls as club chairman.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
They played against the U21's in a confidence boosting friendly over the weekend....and lost 3-0

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wasn't that behind closed doors if the result got out

Most of the people who played have been on the bench which I guess is where they're staying after that :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:24 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa manager Remi Garde refused to criticise supporters for walking out during the 3-1 home defeat by Everton.

Thousands of fans headed for the exits after 74 minutes - the club was formed in 1874 - in protest at the team's plight and owner Randy Lerner.

"I am concentrating on my job," said Frenchman Garde, whose side are bottom of the table, eight points from safety.

"I don't have any comments about the fans. It's something very deep, very old. My job is difficult enough."

Villa fans have directed a lot of anger towards American Lerner, who bought the West Midlands club in 2006.

They are upset at the lack of investment and the decision-making at the club, but the players have also been criticised for a perceived lack of desire.

Aston Villa fan Mark Bricknell, one of the organisers of the protest, told BBC Radio 5 live: "This has been coming for six years.

"We can't say we're happy to be having to do this.

"The club have failed to halt what supporters have seen coming and it's down to total incompetence from the owner."

BBC Radio 5 live football reporter Pat Murphy, who has been covering Villa for more than four decades, added: "The mood is turning ugly.

"I remember the demonstrations against Doug Ellis, but he must seem a great chairman in retrospect.

"This is the worst team I've seen in 41 years of reporting on Villa."

Villa, who have been in the top flight since 1988, have won just three of their 28 league games so far this season and have only 16 points.

They are not mathematically down yet but face fourth-placed Manchester City and Tottenham - who will go top of the table with a win at West Ham on Wednesday - in their next two games.

Garde, appointed at the start of November, still believes Villa can retain their Premier League status but admits the situation is "getting more difficult".

"We have to stick together," said the 49-year-old former Lyon boss. "If not, we have no chance."

If Villa do go down, Joey Barton - who has been relegated from the Premier League with both Newcastle and QPR - thinks they could struggle in the second tier.

"I feel sorry for manager Remi Garde as the ship had massive holes in it when he took over," the Burnley midfielder, whose are top of the Championship, told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It is not a team equipped for Championship football. The Villa fans are showing discontent and you can't blame them.

"Randy Lerner and the board - I've called them muppets before - and nothing has changed.

"If you don't spend in January and say that you are going to prepare for life in the Championship, then why not start playing some kids from the academy?

"At least they'll show some passion."

You could easily see them doing a Wolves and doing the double drop next season club has just lost any momentum and identity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Reme Garde has left by mutual consent

Strange appointment at the time clearly hasn't worked but problems clearly with the people at the very top of that club bad appointments followed by bad buys has left them p*ssing into the wind this season

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:03 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Prepping for Relegation. Garde will not have been cheap. Didn't get players to perform and realises whilst conversing with board he has not got the cojones for a Championship battle. Phil Brown in next I reckon! Or possibly the current Peterborough manager!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:46 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gabriel Agbonlahor will not play for Aston Villa while the Premier League club carries out an internal investigation into his conduct.

The forward was pictured appearing to hold a shisha pipe while on holiday in Dubai during the international break.

Agbonlahor, 29, will miss Saturday's game against Chelsea at Villa Park.

Caretaker boss Eric Black said he took the decision to remove Agbonlahor from the squad because he did not want anything to "distract the players".

He added: "I'll speak to him again on Monday and then we'll take it from there. He's back in and reporting for training.

"I'm not going to go into the details because the investigation is on going. I want us to get back to football and football alone."

Black is in temporary charge of Villa after Remi Garde left the club by mutual consent on Tuesday after 147 days in charge.

Villa are 12 points adrift of safety with seven games remaining.

Former Leicester boss Nigel Pearson and ex-Manchester United and Everton manager David Moyes are among the names being tipped to replace Frenchman Garde, who won just two league games while in charge.

Analysis

BBC Radio 5 live football reporter Pat Murphy:

The disconnect between Villa fans and players is now tangible, with the supporters ranging from resigned to angry.

Agbonlahor's suspension is designed to reduce the hostility towards the players that may surface at some stage during Saturday's home game against Chelsea.

Although Agbonlahor did nothing illegal in Dubai, many Villa fans are angry at his decision to relax in such a way, with the season so close to an end.

Would he have even played anyway?

Football fans should be able to accept man who's given a few days off goes on holiday and enjoys himself the fact that he's a footballer for a struggling team really doesn't matter but thanks to the way our tabloid press works they make it sound like it does.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bye bye Villa

Hung around like a bad smell for a long time and I don't think many are sad to see them go

Always felt like part of the furniture in the Premier League era but the way that clubs been managed isn't great think they've suffered from the mentality of to good to go down for a long time

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yeah i want Villa Newcastle Sunderland to relegate ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
David Moyes is interested in the Aston Villa manager's job but has not yet been contacted by the relegated club.

Nearly six months after being sacked by Real Sociedad, Moyes is keen to get back into football and is attracted by the challenge of reviving Villa.

He has watched them live recently and would be receptive to talks but is aware doubts over next season's budget could delay the process.

Nigel Pearson remains the favourite with bookmakers to take over.

The former Leicester City boss is currently without a club, having left the Foxes last June.

There is also backing for Mick McCarthy, Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce, who manage Ipswich, Burnley and Hull City respectively.

But former Everton and Manchester United boss Moyes interested Villa last autumn, following the departure of Tim Sherwood.

Moyes was still at Real Sociedad when Villa's head of recruitment Paddy Riley flew to Spain for talks.

He questioned the quality of the 12 players Riley had helped bring in at a cost of £55m and the talks did not progress very far.

Villa appointed Remi Garde instead, but the Frenchman left the club prior to relegation after just 147 days in charge.

Villa's football board will concentrate this week on its list of candidates after relegation was confirmed on Saturday, with Moyes likely to be among the names considered.

The Scotsman is also being tipped for the Celtic job, with pressure mounting on Ronny Deila following the Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Rangers.

Villa dropped into the Championship after losing 1-0 at Manchester United and have collected just 16 points from 34 games this season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The drama of Aston Villa’s relegation has turned into a crisis after David Bernstein and Mervyn King resigned from the board.

King, the former governor of the Bank of England governor and a lifelong Villa fan, only joined the club in February. He promised then that he would “do my best to help the rebuilding of Aston Villa football club as together we return it to its position as one of the top clubs in the world”.

Bernstein, the former Manchester City and Football Association chairman, came on board a month later along with the former manager and player Brian Little.

Randy Lerner’s Aston Villa head for relegation woefully unprepared | Daniel Taylor
Bernstein announced he was leaving in a letter to the chairman Steve Hollis in which he said: “I am writing to inform you that I am resigning as a director with immediate effect.”

He said his remit had been to effect a restructuring of the club along with the other directors but that “it has proved impossible to implement” and that “my position has quickly become untenable”.

He added: “The issues at the club are fundamental and and the solutions are radical and do not lend themselves to compromise.”

In his own letter, King spoke of his regret, saying he did not “take this course of action lightly. As a supporter of over 55 years how could I? But it is no longer possible to carry out the role I was asked to perform.”

He said “new leadership is desperately needed to change the culture and capacity of the club at all levels”. But, he said, “progress has stalled” and that the proposed sale of the club had to go ahead as soon as possible.

Villa issued a statement on their website that said: “It is with regret that Aston Villa Football Club today announces the resignations of Mervyn King and David Bernstein as directors of the club.

“The club would like to thank both for all their efforts throughout their short time as members of the board.”

Villa bowed to the inevitable at the weekend when they were relegated at Manchester United after 28 years in the top flight, having won just three games all season.

The club is currently managerless having parted company with Rémi Garde last month. Garde had won only two of his 20 Premier League games in charge since replacing Tim Sherwood at the start of November, and made no positive impact on a team that had only four points to their name when he took over.

Villa’s statement added: “A search to appoint a new manager remains a priority.

“The chairman, Steve Hollis, is currently engaged in extensive negotiations in relation to the sale of the club.

“Brian Little will continue to advise the chairman on all football-related matters.”

Like rats from a sinking ship why wait until 2 days after relegation to quit?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa have suspended striker Gabby Agbonlahor and will conduct an investigation following allegations concerning his conduct at the weekend.

According to media reports, the 29-year-old was pictured with laughing gas canisters while partying in London on the same night Villa were relegated.

Agbonlahor was already on the sidelines after being told he was not fit enough.

Villa were relegated from the Premier League after losing 1-0 to Manchester United and are bottom of the table.

Media reporting man goes out and doesn't do anything illegal seems pretty obvious that Villa are building a case to sack him as I'm guessing he's on a good contract that probably doesn't include any relegation clauses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
It's ridiculous he's been banned.

Yes they've been relegated? So he's gone to the pub and had a few beers. I'm sure we've all done the same after a bad week!

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
It's ridiculous he's been banned.

Yes they've been relegated? So he's gone to the pub and had a few beers. I'm sure we've all done the same after a bad week!

He was already publically taken out of first team consideration due to his fitness to then be seen in a bar when he's supposed to be getting himself fit is stupidity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Aston Villa assistant boss Ray Wilkins says his attempts to help striker Gabriel Agbonlahor, 29, get back to match fitness "fell on deaf ears". Villa have suspended former England international Agbonlahor and started an investigation after he was allegedly pictured with laughing gas canisters. (Talksport)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa defender Jores Okore is refusing to play for the club, according to caretaker boss Eric Black.

The 23-year-old Denmark international refused to be on the bench for the visit of Bournemouth on 9 April and is now training with the club's under-21s.

"After that game, he said that he didn't want to be considered for any of the games going forwards," said Black.

"I didn't have a choice apart from remove him. I don't want people who don't want to be at Aston Villa."

Villa's relegation from the Premier League was confirmed with last weekend's defeat at Manchester United.

On Friday, owner Randy Lerner released a statement accepting blame for the end of the club's 28-year stay in the top flight.

That came at the end of a week in which directors David Bernstein and Mervyn King left the club and striker Gabriel Agbonlahor was suspended for being pictured with what is alleged to be laughing gas.

The attitude of these players is a joke can see why they're on their 3rd manager of the season

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gabriel Agbonlahor has relinquished his position as Aston Villa club captain and admitted he does “not deserve to carry out such a role anymore”.

The former England striker is suspended by Villa after he was pictured out with friends immediately after their relegation this month.

“I want to begin with an apology to all Aston Villa fans for my actions in recent weeks, especially at a time when it is devastating for everyone involved with the club,” Agbonlahor wrote on Instagram.

“I am stepping down as club captain with immediate effect as I do not deserve to carry out such a role anymore. This role was a huge honour to me and it hurts to have lost it.

“I have spent 16 years at Aston Villa and played some memorable games. My celebrations and passion, especially in games against local rivals, shows my loyalty to Aston Villa. I am asking Aston Villa fans for forgiveness as I’m hurting as well despite reports and photos in the press making out otherwise.

“I agree my performances this season have not been good enough but I will be working hard to make things right! Up The Villa, Villa Till I Die!”

Earlier on Thursday, Villa’s caretaker manager Eric Black said the club’s investigation into Agbonlahor’s behaviour is set to conclude in the next 24 hours. Regardless of the club’s action Agbonlahor – who had been put on a personal fitness plan before his ban – will not to feature in the Premier League trip to Watford on Saturday, as the club look to avoid a club record-equalling 11th successive defeat.

Black said: “With Gabby the investigation is ongoing. Gabby should be [completed] in the next day or so, it won’t put him in the frame for Saturday.”

Agbonlahor is Villa’s longest serving current player and their record Premier League goalscorer, having scored 73 times since his debut in 2006.

The club are also investigating Jores Okore after the defender said he was not in the right frame of mind to be on the bench for the 2-1 defeat against Bournemouth this month. The Denmark international is training with the under-21s.

Villa lost 4-2 against Southampton on Saturday with Joleon Lescott, Micah Richards, Leandro Bacuna and Brad Guzan jeered by supporters. But Black, who replaced Rémi Garde last month, insisted that none of his players had expressed any concerns about their treatment from the terraces.

He said: “Nobody has come and spoken to me about it – they are professional footballers and have to put up with things which are difficult. I have to focus on getting them ready to play. It’s not an easy time for the club.”

Libor Kozak is due for an operation on his ankle while Micah Richards is a doubt with a knee injury and Kieran Richardson has a calf issue, along with Ciaran Clark.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chinese businessman Dr Tony Xia has agreed to buy relegated Aston Villa for £60m.

The deal, which is subject to Football League approval, would see Xia take 100% ownership and become chairman.

American billionaire Randy Lerner, who bought Villa in 2006 for £62.2m, put the club up for sale in 2014.

A club statement said Lerner "sought the right owner to take care of the club and restore fortunes" and believes Xia is an "excellent choice".

The Midlands club's new manager - likely to be Nigel Pearson or Roberto di Matteo - will be announced shortly.

Xia needs to pass the relevant owners' and directors' test, and provide proof of finance before formally completing his takeover.

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy told BBC Radio 5 live: "Randy Lerner's tenure at the club is over. The new chairman is a prominent businessman and a seriously impressive business leader in China."

Villa will play in the Championship next season following their relegation from the Premier League.

They finished bottom of the table with 17 points, sacking manager Remi Garde at the end of March.

Who is Dr Tony Xia?

He is the owner of Recon Group, a holding company that has the controlling interest in five publicly listed companies on the Hong Kong and Chinese stock exchanges, employing 35,000 people in 75 countries.

After graduating in China, he was among the initial 25 highly-rated graduates out of 1,000 sent to study overseas. He spent six years at Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, including five months exchange with Oxford University, before returning to China

Xia played football until he finished at college and the sport has remained his passion. He became a Villa fan "many years ago", according to the club's statement, and is "delighted" to become its owner.

What are his objectives?

The club say his first target is to return Villa to the Premier League. After that, he intends to lead the club into the top six, bringing European football back to Villa Park.

He also plans to make Villa "the most famous football club in China with a huge fanbase".

What did Lerner say?

Lerner published a farewell letter on the club's website in which he highlighted the number of young players that came through during his tenure.

The 54-year-old, who said he had an "affection for reading history", listed restoring the Jacobean Holte Hotel at Villa Park and adding a mosaic at the Holte End among his achievements at the club.

He added: "I can offer no counter argument other than to say I would do the same all over."

In what he said would be his final message to fans, Lerner stressed his aim had always been to strengthen the club's infrastructure as well as the squad, but said he had found it difficult to commit time and effort in the past five years.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Aston Villa's takeover by Chinese businessman Dr Tony Xia is not on the verge of collapse.

It has been reported that Xia has failed to demonstrate he possesses the necessary funds to complete the deal.

But BBC Sport has learned £52m has been paid into an escrow account, ready to be transferred to current Villa owner Randy Lerner.

Xia has also provided proof of funds that will guarantee taking on an existing debt of £25m.

The same amount will be payable to American Lerner if Villa, who were relegated from the Premier League this season, get back to the top flight within three years.

Xia has also provided guarantees to the Premier League and Football League of significant amounts of money to cover the club's operating costs for the next two seasons.

A joint enquiry by the two leagues continues and will not be rushed as all aspects of the proposed takeover are scrutinised - including the likely personnel of the new board of directors.

Villa remain without a permanent manager to replace Remi Garde, who was sacked in March.

Former Everton and Manchester United boss David Moyes, who was on a three-man shortlist for the job, pulled out of the running last week.

Ex-West Brom and Chelsea manager Roberto di Matteo remains in the frame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 456 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next