AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sheffield (Don't Mention Ched Evans Or Kenny) United
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:35 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

http://pfai.ie/news/hanging-ched-%E2%80%93-double-jeopardy-court-public-opinion

The point a lot of people have trouble with is understanding that rape now have different degrees to it while Evans was at the low end of it hence the 5 year sentance what he did is still categorised as rape which makes people think of the much more graphic horrific version of violent rape which obviously would've led to a much more severe sentance.

The fact is a jury heard the case and found him guilty so the evidence must have been pretty convincing against him maybe if it had a different name people would think of it different but it's a lesson for young men everywhere to be careful especially when the girl is drunk as you can end up in all sorts of trouble.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Professional Footballers’ Association of Ireland has launched a defence of the convicted rapist, Ched Evans, saying that he could be innocent and that, even if guilty, he deserves a chance of redemption, comparing the 25-year-old to the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six because “they got no sympathy either”.

The article, which was written by the association’s solicitor, Stuart Gilhooly, and published on the association’s website refers to Evans’s crime as alleged despite the fact he was found guilty in court and served half of a five-year sentence in prison.

“There is little point in trying to dissect the legal niceties of this very complex issue but suffice to say that Ched Evans has a very arguable case that he is the victim of a miscarriage of justice,” Gilhooly wrote.

“If having sex with a drunk woman is rape, then thousands of men are guilty of rape every day. The simple point is that degrees of intoxication are a very difficult concept for young men to grapple with when they themselves have had plenty to drink.”

Gilhooly added: “This crime, as alleged, was at the bottom end. There was no violence and thankfully the victim has no recollection of it. This, I hasten to add, does not make it right, or anything close to it, but it is nonetheless a mitigating factor.”

He also suggested that Sheffield United have been “swayed by the verdict of the court of public opinion” and “from Jessica Ennis-Hill to Charlie Webster and pretty much every media commentator who has waded into this mire, the horses most of these pundits have mounted are so high they’ll need a parachute to get down.”

Sheffield United are yet to indicate whether Evans will be offered a new contract but Ennis-Hill has said she would have her name removed from a stand at Bramall Lane, while Webster resigned as a patron of the club last week. The singer Paul Heaton also quit as a patron on Monday.

Yet Gilhooly added: “How can Evans apologise? He is convinced, and has a good argument, that he is not guilty of rape. If he apologised, then he is admitting a crime he feels he didn’t commit. Who would do that?

“But Ched Evans has served his time, whether he is innocent or guilty. He puts the ball in the net so eventually someone will take a chance on him.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:53 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 15
Quote:
Alan Biggs Column: Sheffield United’s reputation has been tarnished by Ched Evans saga

Yes, we do revel in controversy, of course we do. But when people talk about the media having an influence, it can be exaggerated. Consider Star editor James Mitchinson’s recent strongly worded plea to Sheffield United on the Ched Evans affair, which came after my Telegraph column back on September 4, warning that Evans should be a ‘no-go’.

It is not about wishing to be proved right. Neither of us wanted the club to be under siege. If we had, we wouldn’t have spoken out to try to prevent it. Would we? I can truthfully say that, rightly or wrongly, United’s welfare has been at the heart of my approach to this from day one. I think the club - and maybe one person in particular - has seriously miscalculated. The perception that, through a campaign of silence, United have been trying to sneak Evans back through the door has been damaging, prompting the militant response of partners and sponsors.

The PR crisis has been unnecessary and wholly avoidable. For what? A principle - or the financial value of a one-time £3m signing?

You can argue the moral issue one way or the other to the point where it is hard to separate right and wrong. I would certainly not deny Evans the opportunity to play again. But going straight back to the club he served when he offended just doesn’t look right. What is utterly beyond dispute is that Sheffield United’s reputation has been tarnished. Can one player be worth so much trouble?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sheffield United has reversed its decision to allow convicted rapist Ched Evans to train using the club’s facilities.

The club had been under considerable pressure to withdraw the offer that it made on 11 November following a request from the Professional Footballers’ Assocation on Evans’ behalf.

Evans was released on licence having served two and a half years of a five-year sentence after being found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman following a night out in Rhyl.

He has maintained that he is innocent, and the issue of whether Sheffield United should re-sign the player has split supporters and the wider public.

But organisations including the End Violence Against Women Coalition have made clear their disgust at the decision, while more than 165,000 members of the public have signed a petition calling on Sheffield United chairman Kevin McCabe not to re-sign the striker.

Sheffield issued a statement saying that it had consulted with supporters, staff and sponsors, as well as the Football Association and the National Probation Service before making the decision.

“We recognise that a number of our supporters will be disappointed with this decision, but would ask that they remember the responsibilities we have not only to a fine and proud club, whose history stretches back over 125 years, but also to the communities in which Sheffield United is active and to the City we represent.

“The Club initially accepted a request from The PFA for Ched Evans to be able to train. The reaction to this has been at an intensity that could not have been anticipated when first announced.

“As noted in previous statements from the Club, the legal system of this country provides for both the punishment and the rehabilitation of every person who has been found guilty of a crime. Sheffield United will not be used to promote the view that professional footballers should be treated differently, as has been the want of certain sections of the media and various commentators. In addition, we remain disappointed at some of the inaccurate reporting, misinformed views and commentary, as well as the actions of a minority of individuals on social media. Professional footballers must be treated as equals before the law.

“The Club condemns rape and violence of any kind against women in the strongest possible terms. The Club is aware that Ched Evans is pursuing legal recourse via the Criminal Cases Review Commission in the determination he has to clear his name. We trust that he will be afforded a fair hearing.

“During this whole period, we have been served a timely reminder of what we have been throughout our history: Sheffield United is a Family and Community Club that, even in times of adversity, will remain strong and grow from its experiences.

“The Club will not be making any further comment on this issue.”

Earlier this week singer-songwriter Paul Heaton became the latest figure associated with Sheffield United to resign his position as a result of its decision to allow Evans to train with the club.

The former lead singer in the Beautiful South followed the lead of television presenters Charlie Webster and Lindsay Graham in quitting as a patron of the Sheffield United Community Foundation.

The Sheffield-born Olympic gold medallist Jessica Ennis-Hill had said she would ask Sheffied United to remove her name from a stand at the club’s ground if it offersed Evans a new contract.

The stand at Bramall Lane was named in her honour after the Blades fan’s heptathlon triumph at the London 2012 Games.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:52 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

:( beat me to it.....

That's a shame... I was enjoying them taking all the flack...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:50 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Think it's disgusting personally.

Hounded out by the media. Where was this media when Michael Jackson was releasing great songs?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The man is a convicted rapist who is out on license he has not served his full 5 years sentence.

Michael Jackson as far as I'm aware was never found guilty of anything not saying he didn't do anything no smoke without fire and all that and his legacy has been tarnished as a result of all these allegations. The people turning a blind eye back then are probably the same sort of people who turned a blind eye to Saville they were either to scared to do it fearing no one would believe them or they were happy to do it in order for their pay cheque.

For me this is a good thing like it or not in the eyes of the law what the man did is rape and football clubs who lets not forget are supposed to represent their local communities do have an obligation to those communities the people seem to have spoken on this and the club have back tracked. Personally I think they made a huge mistake by letting him back in the first place without at least testing the water in terms of public opinion it seemed to be like the rushed in to it thinking everyone will forget about it in 3 days.

Quote:
The Sexual Offences Act 2003 (the Act) came into force on the 1st May 2004. The purpose of the Act was to strengthen and modernise the law on sexual offences, whilst improving preventative measures and the protection of individuals from sexual offenders. The Act extends the definition of rape to include the penetration by a penis of the vagina, anus or mouth of another person. The 2003 Act also updates the law about consent and belief in consent.

The word 'consent' in the context of the offence of rape is now defined in the Sexual Offences Act 2003. A person consents if she or he agrees by choice, and has the freedom and capacity to make that choice. The essence of this definition is the agreement by choice. The law does not require the victim to have physically resisted in order to prove a lack of consent. The question of whether the victim consented is a matter for the jury to decide, although the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) considers this issue very carefully throughout the life of a case.

Like I said a jury found him guilty as did a panel of judges on appeal so why do people still protest his innocence. What it indicates to me is a potential lack of understanding of the law and how it exists now not 20 years ago. You might not agree with the law but it is the law.

The only thing I feel uncomfortable about is in the eyes of society he has served his punishment and is now a free man (assuming he doesn't break the terms of his license) so he should be able to return to work but as someone with a criminal record he now has to face the same issues many other criminals face when looking to get jobs. He has chosen to pursue his career in the public domain and as such he has to accept what comes with that had he disappeared to a life on anonymity chances are he wouldn't be attracting all these headlines.

I have no doubt that some club will employ him eventually but he will probably have to drop down a few levels or clear his name (I believe he is still appealing the case) or possibly even swallow his pride and apologise to the victim and her family. Unless new evidence comes to light I don't see how any further appeals can be successful as a jury has already heard the case and judges have approved his sentence following the initial appeal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Michael Jackson wasnt found guilty because he settled out of court for ovef £15m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:48 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Quote:
Co-chairman Jim Phipps has today outlined Sheffield United’s reasons for their dramatic U-turn over allowing convicted rapist Ched Evans to train with the club.

United revealed in a statement yesterday that they had withdrawn their offer to Evans, their former striker who was jailed for five years in 2012 for the rape of a teenager in a Welsh hotel room.

The request, from the PFA, was designed to get Evans fit again after serving half of his sentence in custody. But after an unprecedented, and unexpected, response of outrage, United have withdrawn their offer.

“We’ve taken this action because we think it’s the only way to protect the long-term interests of the club,” Phipps, speaking at a media briefing at Bramall Lane, said.

“We know that in the short term it will irk some of our fans. But many of our fans wanted him back, another group didn’t and the division in our family on that issue was one worth noting and not deepening, for the limited benefit of letting a footballer who isn’t one of our current players train with us.

“We decided we shouldn’t let our club be taken down for the limited benefit of having him train with us.”

Patrons of United’s Community Foundation, including Dave Berry and Charlie Webster, quit their position after United agreed to let Evans train with the club while Jessica Ennis-Hill, the 2012 London Olympic heptathlon champion and United fan, vowed to ask United to remove her name from one of the Bramall Lane stands if the Welsh international was to be offered a contract.

“We treated the inputs of the celebrities associated somehow with the club as much as every other source of input, and we had lots of them from all around,” Phipps continued.

“We acknowledge that Jess is a great woman who has achieved great things, an Olympian of great note and we’ve honoured her with a stand named after her, but I know for a fact that her inputs were not the vital ones.

“She made her point, others made her points in other ways. But Jessica’s stance was not a significant factor for me.

“Her opinions registered with me but from the inputs we received, the majority were in favour of Ched’s return and they were coming from our fans. But mainly I engage with our fans.

“It was a very difficult decision to decide to do something that we knew our fans would not like, or at least a very large group of our fans in the first instance.”

Phipps revealed that United’s sponsors had been attacked online over their stance, and the issue had even come up in questions to the Prime Minster at the G20 Leaders’ Summit recently.

“How did that happen?” the American continued.

“It did go beyond any bounds that we might have imagined. I’m newer to this than perhaps I should be, but I have been advised by so many people that this particular matter has gone beyond anything in recent memory.

“It’s certainly a test case for matters of this kind. We didn’t expect the response would be as it was.

“We could have said no. But that would have been the coward’s way out. There is a principle in this whole matter that is worth something. That footballers should be treated as equals before the law.

“It was worth the effort to try and establish that principle. We already had some headwinds when we made that decision. We didn’t expect those headwinds would turn into a hurricane category five, with a tsunami attached.

“We believe rape is a heinous crime. But there’s been a trial, Ched was convicted, and he served his sentence. At that stage, subject to conditions of his parole licence, he has a right to making a livelihood.

“In fact, he has an obligation to do so.”

Phipps - brought to the club as principal advisor to United’s co-owner Prince Abdullah, before stepping into the co-chairman role - admitted he was “frustrated” at the outcome of the whole Evans saga.

“Am I frustrated about what’s happened? Yeah,” Phipps added.

“But I’m a person who embraces facts and the facts say that we can’t continue on that path and the cost of promoting the principle we believe is most important in this whole matter is too high for the club to bear so we’ve moved forward.

“It can’t be gainsaid that the influence of sometimes mob-like behaviour has made it a lot harder to make the decision to allow Ched to train, and allowing the club to act in accordance with the principles we have articulated.

“But we decided it was going to be too costly to the long-term interests of the club. Not just about money - in terms of feeling, goodwill, the essence of what we are as a club. It would be too costly.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Reports are ached Evans will sign for a league one club tomorrow

Rumours are its Oldham

Post subject: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Not a single club from the Football League’s bottom two divisions has said they would definitely be willing to sign convicted rapist Ched Evans.

Sky Sports has contacted all 48 clubs from League One and League Two, and 14 of them put on record that they would not be interested in the former Sheffield United and Wales striker.

Oldham remain in discussions over a possible contract for Evans, who was released from prison last October after serving half of a five-year sentence for raping a 19-year-old girl in 2011.

Some 22 clubs from both divisions refused to comment when contacted by Sky Sports News HQ, while 11 clubs are yet to respond to our question.

League One
In talks – Oldham
“No” – Chesterfield, Coventry, Crawley, Fleetwood, MK Dons, Notts County, Peterborough, Port Vale, Sheffield United
Declined to comment – Bristol City, Crewe, Gillingham, Preston, Scunthorpe, Swindon, Walsall, Yeovi
Yet to respond – Barnsley, Bradford, Colchester, Doncaster, Leyton Orient, Rochdale

League Two
“No” – Luton, Hartlepool, Northampton, Oxford, York
Declined to comment – Accrington, Bury, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Dag & Red, Mansfield, Morecambe, Newport, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Stevenage, Southend, Tranmere, Wycombe
Yet to respond – Wimbledon, Burton, Carlisle, Exeter, Shrewsbury

Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A woman who started a petition against convicted rapist Ched Evans's proposed move to Oldham Athletic says the player "doesn't know what rape is".

The blogger, who uses the pseudonym Jean Hatchet, said: "He was convicted of rape and he still doesn't acknowledge it was rape. And that's the incredibly dangerous message."

Her petition to push the club to refuse to sign Evans has gained more than 45,000 supporters since Sunday.

Oldham are still mulling over a deal.

Striker Evans, who was found guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel in 2011, was freed from prison in October.

The now 26-year-old served half of his five-year sentence and is currently on licence under the supervision of the probation service.

Speaking to BBC News, the blogger said: "Crucially he hasn't served his time, he's served half of his time, he's still on licence.

"He's also not, as far as I can see, reformed or rehabilitated - he doesn't acknowledge his crime. And that's the key thing here - he doesn't know what rape is."

She added: "It's time that the Football Association [and] the Professional Footballers' Association realised that accepting players back into a high-profile role that have committed such an atrocious crime is wrong. They've got to take a stand on this."

After his release from prison, Jean Hatchet also started a petition - which gained about 169,000 supporters - designed to dissuade Evans's former club Sheffield United from reinstating him.

He was offered the use of the their training facilities, though, before the League One side backtracked after heavy criticism from supporters and club patrons including Olympic heptathlon champion Jessica Ennis-Hill.

Evans maintains his innocence, and an investigation into his conviction by the Criminal Cases Review Commission is under way.

One thing the Evans case has highlighted to me is how widespread the law is on this subject.

In terms of is the girls lying or not she's had to change her identity 5 times and basically can't return to her hometown to see her family because of whats happened she has not gained financially from it in any way either you'd think by now if she had lied she would've come clean about it.

That's the thing for me Evans needs to either clear his name through his appeal which should get his full attention and he has to issue a statement asking the internet trolls to leave this person alone and let his legal team fight his case for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Everyone deserves a second chance ...

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
Everyone deserves a second chance ...

If he admitted guilt and showed some compassion people might go a bit easier on him but he has not served his full sentence he has been released on license early so one slip up and it's straight back to prison.

I think he has learned from his mistake and he'd never put himself in that situation again but he refuses to accept he's done wrong (hence his latest appeal) despite the fact that he's been found guilty and also lost his first appeal.

He is being given a second chance he's a free man but he's chasing a profession which puts him in the spotlight and fans don't want their club to sign him. At that level clubs are much more closely linked to the local community and fans have a far greater influence on what the club does.

I think he should just give it up the longer it goes on the worse it'll be for the club who does take him and I think it's a good thing that fans are finally starting to revolt against this sort of stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:02 am 
Major General
Major General

I havent followed his trial at all but there are reports suggesting dodgy ruling against him ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
I havent followed his trial at all but there are reports suggesting dodgy ruling against him ..

Yes there are reports that suggest the case could've gone either way but he has been found GUILTY in court and also failed on an appeal.

What he did was sh*tbag behaviour anyway his mate takes a girl back to a hotel he decides to turn up and try and have his go on here while his brother and another mate stand at the window trying to film it on a camera phone. All while his girlfriend is asleep at home none the wiser.

You are innocent until proven guilty in this country so for Evans to be found guilty there must have been some pretty good evidence to convict him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fresh protests have erupted over Ched Evans's return to football. Immense pressure has been put on Oldham FC not to sign a rapist. Some argue that before being allowed to play again professionally after serving two-and-a-half years in jail he should apologise. What would it mean if he did?

Ched Evans is a convicted rapist. He continues to protest his innocence. He is unrepentant.

A promising young striker prior to his conviction in 2012, Evans has been the focus of angry protests whenever it has been suggested he might return to the game - at his former club Sheffield United, at Hartlepool, and now at Oldham.

He was convicted of the rape of a 19-year-old woman who was estimated to be two-and-a-half times over the drink-drive limit and unable to give consent.

There's one overarching factor cited by virtually all of his critics - the failure to say sorry.

Labour leader Ed Miliband said he would not sign Evans because "he hasn't shown remorse". The player's "lack of remorse and failure to acknowledge his offence" disqualified him from the game, added Greater Manchester police and crime commissioner Tony Lloyd.

The player's inability to display "even a modicum of regret" for his behaviour disbarred him from football, wrote Rowan Pelling in the Daily Telegraph. Similarly, former Sports Minister Richard Caborn argued in October that Evans should only be given a second chance if "he publicly apologises", or if an appeal against his conviction were to succeed.

An online petition urging Oldham not to sign Evans so long as "he still refuses to acknowledge his guilt, apologise to his victim" and admit to fans "that what he did was wrong" has attracted more than 50,000 signatures.

Of course, there's a very simple reason why Evans has not apologised.

He maintains his innocence, and although he has been refused leave to appeal, an investigation is under way by the Criminal Cases Review Commission into his conviction. His family have set up an extensive website dedicated to clearing his name.

Even notwithstanding the question of his guilt, he has not apologised to his victim for the distress he has caused her. She has reportedly been driven from her house five times as a result of harassment from Evans's supporters. She has been vilified on social media and in 2012 nine people were fined for naming her in breach of a court order. Her father has said she was "living her life on the run" and had to spend Christmas apart from her family as "it's too risky for her to visit".

The only person to whom Evans has said sorry is his girlfriend Natasha Massey, for having been unfaithful to her.

But for now he remains, in the eyes of the law, a rapist. And for many that remains incompatible with playing football as long as he fails to apologise.

It isn't simply a moral question. According to criminologist David Wilson, a former prison governor who has worked with sex offenders, acknowledgement of culpability is absolutely key to making rehabilitation work.

It would be entirely right for Evans to return to football "if he had acknowledged his guilt, if he had completed the required sex offender treatment programmes, if he developed an understanding of why what he did was wrong", says Wilson, a former vice-chair of the Howard League for Penal Reform.

Quote:
The case

Ched Evans was jailed for five years for raping a 19-year-old woman, while another player, Clayton McDonald, was cleared

The court heard McDonald met the woman and took her back to a hotel room near Rhyl, Denbighshire, sending a text to Evans stating he had "got a bird" or words to that effect

The jury heard that Evans had gone to the hotel, let himself in to McDonald's room and watched his friend and the woman having sex before taking part himself.
The prosecution claimed that while the attack happened, friends of the footballer watched through a window

The men admitted having sex with the woman on 30 May 2011, but said it was consensual

In sentencing Evans, the judge said: "CCTV footage shows, in my view, the extent of her intoxication when she stumbled into your friend. As the jury have found, she was in no condition to have sexual intercourse"

But Wilson adds: "Unless a convicted sex offender admits their guilt, there is absolutely nothing you could do with them in terms of treatment programmes."

Not everyone agrees with this point of view.

There are Evans's supporters, many of whom vocally protest his innocence.

On the other hand, there are those who say that he should never play football again, apology or no apology. That the abhorrence of the crime of which he was convicted disqualifies him from professional sport forever. That footballers are supposed to be role models. That his presence on the pitch reinforces a "rape culture" in which sexual violence is normalised.

"If he did apologise, it would be too little too late," says Jill Saward, who has campaigned for victims since she was raped at her vicarage home in Ealing, west London, in 1986.

The problem is not that Evans has not said sorry, she says. It's that he appears genuinely to believe he has not committed a crime.

"He doesn't want to change because he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. It's a fact that it's a very high-profile role. He would be there in people's faces."

To Evans's victim - whose repeated harassment is, Saward says, a direct result of Evans's protestations of innocence - this would be extremely upsetting, and many other survivors of sexual violence would find it distressing, too.

Evans would not, of course, be the first to return to front-line sport following a rape conviction. Mike Tyson resumed his career as a boxer after he was jailed for the crime - a crime of which he, too, continues to insist he is innocent.

Other footballers have picked up their careers in the wake of prison sentences.

Marlon King resumed his career after he was jailed on separate occasions for groping and punching a woman in the face, and receiving stolen goods, and convicted of a series of other offences. He is currently serving a prison sentence for dangerous driving.

Graham Rix managed Portsmouth, Oxford and Hearts after he was convicted of having sex with an under-age girl. Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick both returned to football after they were jailed for causing death by dangerous driving.

With these precedents in mind, there are those who argue that, however vile his crime, Evans has already paid a hefty price for it and should be allowed to return to football. That rehabilitation is possible without repentance.

While it may be difficult to extend forgiveness to someone who is defiantly unrepentant, believes Richard Garside, director of the Centre for Crime and Justice Studies, it's more important to tackle the sexist attitudes within football and wider society that shaped Evans rather than focus on one individual.

Quote:
Ex-offenders and employment law

In England and Wales, prison sentences under four years are "spent" after a certain period of time, and do not need to be revealed to potential employers

Certain offences - including rape - prevent ex-offenders from doing jobs known as "regulated activity"; this includes teaching, social work, and posts which involve working with children or vulnerable adults

Other jobs, including accountant, solicitor or vet, require an enhanced criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service; employers have the discretion to refuse to employ an ex-offender

"He was found guilty and a prison sentence was his punishment, not unemployment," says Garside. "That was not part of his sentence and nor should it be."

His sentence has not yet, however, been completed. Evans is still on licence, and as such still serving his punishment.

Having signed the sex offenders register, he must report to the police every year giving information about his bank details and if he has a person under 18 in his house. He needs the permission of his probation officer to travel abroad, a condition of release that prevented a rumoured move to Maltese side Hibernians.

Whether or not he returns to football, he will be prevented from work deemed "regulated activity" and jobs such as teaching, social work or health care that would involve working with children or vulnerable adults.

Regardless of what happens to his career, Evans will never, in truth, be free of the crime for which he was convicted.

Until his appeal process has run he can't apologise as it would undermine his appeal as apologising for something you claim you didn't do cast doubts over any evidence you provided and he shouldn't apologise to her for the grief she's had either as again from a legal stand point his appeal would be stuffed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

Good thread title :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Apparently he's agreed a deal to join Oldham.

Via Twitter

@RedIssue: Reporsts suggest Ched Evans has agreed personal terms with Oldham - not too difficult is it? If only he'd managed that in a Rhyl hotel room

:laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Oldham manager says deal is 80% likely to be finalized.

Wonder Scholes take on it all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next