AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower


It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:18 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
idontfeardeath wrote:
Wrongful imprisonment not the fact he's a footballer.

I'm sure he's more interested in clearing his name than anything else. Even if he did though would any club go near him now?


I think he'd be welcomed back he's an innocent man in the eyes of the law so if he's still got the ability he had before he went down he'll find a way back


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:46 pm 
Offline
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 pm
Posts: 1422
Highscores: 28
I'm not convinced. Even if the decision is overturned he'll never lose the stain on his name.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:51 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
MIG wrote:
I'm not convinced. Even if the decision is overturned he'll never lose the stain on his name.


True but the media won't be able to hound him out when clubs show interest this time as in the eyes of the law and therefore society he is an innocent man.

No doubt he'll get grief off fans for the rest of his career but a club will take a chance on him.

I'm more interested to see what the new evidence is that will suddenly tip the scales in his favour as I can only assume it's evidence that proves this girl wasn't as drunk as she claimed to be in the original trial.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:12 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:12 am
Posts: 10116
MIG wrote:
pakrooney wrote:
If proved innocent he should get big compensation and for all the other mental physical troubles he had to go through the girl who accused him should be declared ched`s slut


You're an idiot. :thumbup:


I admit i was bit on high .. but if you have been in this situation where u innocent and still labelled as forceful ..you will realise how it damages you from inside... It just felt more personal to me ..

_________________
pakrooney wrote:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:04 pm 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:21 am
Posts: 7633
idontfeardeath wrote:
Wrongful imprisonment not the fact he's a footballer.

I'm sure he's more interested in clearing his name than anything else. Even if he did though would any club go near him now?

I suspect so.. They were willing to go near him as a convicted rapist.. I'm sure they'll try and take him as a innocent man(if that happens) . The fans on the other hand..

_________________
JSP wrote:
No longer do you have to settle for a fatty-boom-batty at the end of the night you can get yourself a reasonable looking sl*g.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:50 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34470205

It's worth watching the video here and also reading the commentary.

I put this here as I remember a lot of chat at the time about what is and isn't considered to be rape under changes to the law.

Basically the jist of new laws is just because she didn't say no doesn't necessarily mean she said yes.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:40 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
Quote:
The former Sheffield United striker Ched Evans’ conviction for raping a 19-year-old woman is to be reviewed by leading judges on 22 March.

His case has been referred to the court of appeal in London by the Criminal Cases Review Commission which investigates possible miscarriages of justice.

The CCRC announced last October that new evidence had emerged in the case.

The former Welsh international was convicted in April 2012 after being found guilty at Caernarfon crown court of raping the woman at a hotel in Rhyl.

Evans was released from prison in 2014 after serving half of his five-year sentence and court of appeal judges will now consider the safety of his conviction.

The referral to appeal judges followed a 10-month investigation by the commission. When the decision was announced, the CCRC chair Richard Foster said: “The decision of the commission is not a judgment on guilt or innocence in relation to Ched Evans, nor is it a judgment about the honesty or integrity of the victim or any other person involved in the case.

“Our role is to consider applications to see if, in our judgment, there is any basis on which to ask the court to hear a fresh appeal – that is our statutory responsibility.

“In this case we have identified new material which was not considered by the jury at trial and which, in our view, might have assisted the defence.

“In those circumstances, it is right and proper for the matter to be before the court so that they can decide whether or not the new information should affect the verdict in this case.”

Evans previously lost his case at the court of appeal in 2012.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:28 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:12 am
Posts: 19588
Highscores: 1
Ched Evans won his appeal

_________________
Because I'm young enough to be all pi**ed off
But I'm old enough to be jaded
I'm at the age where I want things to change
But with age my hopes have faded


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:38 am 
Offline
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:56 am
Posts: 7998
Location: 52 Festive Road
Highscores: 6
So, lets say he wins this case.

Who pays for his loss of earnings etc?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
Quote:
Footballer Ched Evans has had his conviction for rape quashed at the Court of Appeal in London, but will face a new trial.

The ex-Wales international was jailed in 2012 for raping a 19-year-old at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

The former Sheffield United, Manchester City and Norwich player was released from jail in October 2014 after serving half of his five-year term.

Mr Evans, 27, has always denied raping the woman.

Speaking outside court Mr Evans's solicitor Shaun Draycott said: "Ched Evans is extremely grateful that the court of appeal has ruled that his conviction for rape was unsafe and should be quashed."

The striker's case was referred to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which investigates possible miscarriages of justice in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, after new evidence emerged.

Announcing the court's decision, Lady Justice Hallett said the judges heard "fresh evidence" during the appeal hearing on 22 and 23 March.

She said: "In summary, we have concluded that we must allow the appeal and that it is in the interests of justice to order a retrial."

The court quashed Mr Evans's conviction and declared: "The appellant will be retried on the allegation of rape."

Mr Evans and former Port Vale player Clayton McDonald admitted having sex with the woman on 30 May 2011, but said it was consensual.

Mr McDonald was acquitted of rape at their trial at Caernarfon Crown Court.

Mr Evans has not been signed by a new club since his release from prison.


The new evidence has obviously cast some doubt over the original verdict so he's entitled to a new trial.

If he wins that he may be able to seek compensation through the court as his career has been destroyed by his conviction as I'm sure there is a process you can go through for that but it's likely to be compensation for days spent behind bars he may even be able to launch a civil case against the victim if it turns out she lied although my guess is all the new evidence does is cast doubt over his original conviction.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:22 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
Quote:
Footballer Ched Evans' retrial for rape will be held in October.

Mr Evans, who always denied raping the woman, had his conviction quashed at the Court of Appeal in London in April.

The ex-Wales international was jailed in 2012 for raping a 19-year-old at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, Denbighshire.

At a hearing at Cardiff Crown Court on Friday, High Court Judge Mrs Justice Nicola Davies said Mr Evans, 27, of Alderley Edge, Cheshire, would stand trial again from 4 October.

The former Sheffield United, Manchester City and Norwich player served half of his five-year term and was released from prison in October 2014.

He has not been signed by a club since.

At the brief court hearing, Mr Evans spoke only to confirm his name and enter a not guilty plea to one count of rape, alleged to have happened on 30 May 2011.

Mrs Justice Nicola Davies will hear the trial, which will be held in Cardiff, and it is scheduled to last for two weeks.

The striker's case was referred to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which investigates possible miscarriages of justice in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, after new evidence emerged.

The appeal hearing was held on 22 and 23 March and following the announcement of the retrial in April, Lady Justice Hallett said the judges heard "fresh evidence".

She said: "In summary, we have concluded that we must allow the appeal and that it is in the interests of justice to order a retrial."


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:54 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
Quote:
A woman allegedly raped by footballer Ched Evans in a hotel had "no idea what on earth was happening", a court heard.

The Chesterfield striker denies raping the 19-year-old at a Premier Inn in Rhuddlan, Denbighshire, in May 2011.

Mr Evans, 27, was found guilty of rape at Caernarfon Crown Court in 2012, but his conviction was quashed in April.

The prosecution told his retrial at Cardiff Crown Court the woman had been intoxicated and could not have consented to sex, as Mr Evans claims.

Simon Medland QC, prosecuting, said the woman "did not even know Ched Evans was having sex with her" in the hotel on 30 May 2011.

The woman was "very drunk" and believes her drink may have been spiked, Mr Medland said, although not by Mr Evans.

"She was that intoxicated - for whatever reason - that she didn't really know what on earth was happening," he added.

"The facts of this case show that she was raped by this young footballer in that room, not that she had consensual sex with him."

The alleged victim met Mr Evans's friend and fellow footballer Clayton McDonald at Rhyl's Zu bar in the early hours of 30 May.

'Publicity'

She got a taxi to the Premier Inn with Mr McDonald, where Mr Evans had booked a room.

Mr McDonald, who previously played at Manchester City and Port Vale, telephoned Mr Evans and said: "I've got a girl", Mr Medland told the jury.

About 15 minutes later, Mr Evans arrived at the hotel and got a key to the room. He is then alleged to have raped the woman before "surreptitiously" leaving via the fire exit.

Mr McDonald, who now plays at Redditch United, was acquitted of rape at the original trial in 2012.

During Tuesday's hearing, the jury - consisting of five men and seven women - was told by the judge, Mrs Justice Nicola Davies, to disregard any previous publicity of the case.

"There has been publicity in respect of these legal proceedings. If you have heard or read about it, that is the proceedings, in the newspaper, television, radio or social media, you must ignore it," she said.

The case was opened and adjourned for the day and will continue on Wednesday.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:13 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
Found not guilty of rape.

His name will always be tarnished. Not sure where he goes from here. Also not sure whether to feel sorry for him or not.

Clearly a sh*tty thing he did, legalities aside, but would he be the first young man to do something stupid like this? To be branded a rapist and go to prison for something he arguably didn't do, have his livelihood taken from him...he'll probably have to move abroad, surely he can't live any kind of life here, he'll always have that hanging over his head.

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:22 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
You do know he's already playing again for chesterfield in league one and has scored 4 goals in 7 games if he keeps up that pace he'll be fine and he'll get his career back to where it was pre trial

Obviously he'll never get the time back or get his name fully cleared in the minds of the public but he is a free man.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:56 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:12 am
Posts: 10116
If you look back at my posts ... I was more inclined towards him than so called victim ..Should be suing for millions IMO ...

_________________
pakrooney wrote:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:43 pm 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
Why?

Just because a jury couldn't prove beyond reasonable doubt that he did it doesn't mean the girl was guilty getting a conviction for rape is very hard especially without CCTV or witness statements.

He can sue the public purse for up to £500k over his wrongful conviction and he's apparently considering legal action against his old lawyers.

Maybe as a free man he should concentrate on just enjoying the rest of his career and let it go take the compensation from the state and avoid courtrooms for the rest of his life.

What happened to him should act as a warning to young men all over the country and drunken one night stand can go very wrong so think before you act.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:25 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:12 am
Posts: 10116
It was a dodgy conviction from beginning and had he not been a footballer girl wouldn't have pursued the case ..lost 4 years of earning maybe he had step up plate and became a PL quality player .. who knows ..now its years of rehab into society which may perceive him as guilty and why only 500 k as compensation ???

_________________
pakrooney wrote:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 am 
Offline
General of the Army
General of the Army

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am
Posts: 31153
Location: Milton Keynes
The girl gained nothing from this story if she was lying about the rape she would've been better off just selling a story to the papers about her night with 2 footballers intead having woken up in a hotel room alone and no idea how she got there she's spoken with the police. Also, this girl has had her identity revealed online by trolls and her life is probably very difficult now as a result as everyone in the town knows who she is we don't know if she was telling the truth or not but she's gained nothing from following through with this story.

You say he might have stepped up and made prem but equally he might have f*cked his knee and dropped down leagues it's impossible to say where his career would've gone he'll probably claim he could've been a Jamie Vardy :laugh: at the time of his conviction he was a pretty good league one striker.

Rehab into society? He's a free man who's conviction has been over turned he'll still get grief off football fans because that's football fans but I doubt he'll get any bother in the streets over it he actually has a lot of support. He's free to resume his career earning a very good wage in the public eye and has been playing this season while he's been in court.

It's capped by the government that is the maximum he can get from any claim against the state for his wrongful imprisonment he was in jail for 2 1/2 years (half his sentence) he's then spent 18 months clearing his name through the courts which he's done and he's free to resume his career and he's playing again at the same standard he was when he was convicted. My guess is he'll be getting all his legal fees paid as well so it's quite a big bill for the public purse to pick up.

He might be able to pursue a civil case against her but my guess is she doesn't have a pot to p*ss in money wise so there wouldn't be much point as she'd never be able to pay him assuming he'd win and it will cost fortunes in legal fees again the big case money wise for him would be against his ex lawyers which saw him convicted.

As I've said he's a free man who's cleared his name if I was him I'd take the settlement with the court and just concentrate on making the most of what's left of his career and after that probably try to dissapear from the public eye but having been through what he's been through I can understand why he'd have a chip on his shoulder and want to get what he feels he deserves.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:18 pm 
Offline
Major General
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Posts: 11549
Highscores: 12
JSP wrote:
You do know he's already playing again for chesterfield in league one and has scored 4 goals in 7 games if he keeps up that pace he'll be fine and he'll get his career back to where it was pre trial

Obviously he'll never get the time back or get his name fully cleared in the minds of the public but he is a free man.

Didn't realise that! :doh:

_________________
Erik The Viking wrote:
I personally hope Corden dies in a house fire.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron