AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ched Evans Thread... Look but don't touch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Personally I think it would be hilarious if he turns out to be absolute garbage and surely the club have some sort of get out clause in the deal he hasn't played football for 2 1/2 years I'm assuming he's kept his fitness up but surely that long out of the game has an effect.

Plus he had 1 good season at Sheffield Utd 3 seasons ago I don't understand why a club like Oldham seem to be falling over themselves to sign him.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Oldham Athletic have decided against signing convicted rapist Ched Evans following threats to the club's "staff and their families".

A club director told BBC sports editor Dan Roan that a staff member was informed a named relative would be raped if the deal went ahead.

There has also been "enormous pressure from sponsors", the board member said.

Evans is expected to release a statement saying he understands the club's change of heart.

The Wales international was jailed in April 2012 for raping a woman.

He was released from prison in October after serving half of a five-year sentence and the owner of the League One club, Simon Corney, had said on Wednesday that a deal for the 26-year-old striker was "80% likely".

But after days of intense speculation Oldham have called off the move.

Greater Manchester's chief constable Sir Peter Fahy said his force would be launching an investigation into threats to the club's staff and their families.

"It is totally unacceptable," Sir Peter told BBC Radio 5 live.

"We will be contacting Oldham Athletic to make sure that it's investigated."

Jim McMahon, the leader of Oldham Council, urged "all sides of the debate to show restraint and calm".

"In recent days we've seen an horrendous 'trial by social media' with intimidation, abuse and harassment on a scale that has cast a terrible shadow," said McMahon.

"The whole episode has divided the town and public opinion and there are no winners in all this - not least the reputation of our club and town."

More than 60,000 people signed a petition calling on Oldham not to sign former Sheffield United player Evans, while a number of campaigners and politicians voiced opposition to the move.

Club sponsors were told on Wednesday to prepare for confirmation of the Evans deal after days of negotiations.

That prompted Verlin Rainwater Solutions to end its association with the club immediately, while a second backer, ZenOffice, revealed it would sever ties if Evans signed.

It is the second time a club has abandoned attempts to sign Evans.

His former club Sheffield United ended their interest following another public outcry, with more than 160,000 people signing an online petition against his return.

Evans continues to protest his innocence, and an investigation into his conviction by the Criminal Cases Review Commission is under way.

Earlier on Thursday, Harry Redknapp, manager of Premier League side QPR, had told reporters Evans should be given a second chance.

He added: "Once you've done your time you've done your time, and somewhere along the line you've got to come out and make a go of your life.

"So it's a very difficult situation at the moment with the lad who is a footballer and wants to play football.

"He can't just not be allowed to carry on with his life."

Quote:
Footballer Ched Evans has apologised "for the effects" of his actions in 2011 - but continues to maintain his innocence over his rape conviction.

He issued a statement hours after it emerged League One side Oldham Athletic would not be signing the player.

Evans, 26, was jailed in April 2012 for raping a woman at a hotel in Rhyl, north Wales.

I think he's finished until he clears his name now as no club given what has happened with Oldham is going to touch him he might be able to find a club in the conference but even that will be difficult for him.

The threats made against people who work for Oldham are a disgrace though and the police need to find these people and prosecute them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
This siege mentality is disgusting. Don't sign him or we'll rape your daughter. Pathetic.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

Sounds like extremist everywhere .. He may have done bog crime but I would keep repeating every one deserves second chance .. But seriously Evans have been ill advised by his surrounding he shouldn't have apologized if deep inside him knows he is not guilty ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He hasn't apologised for what he did he has sort of apologised for some of the stuff that has come from what happened the Internet trolls who expose this girls identity on a regular basis and basically make it hell. Evans until now hasn't condemned that behaviour he has by his silence in a way encouraged it.

You deserve a second chance if you accept you did wrong and attempt to learn from your mistake he is trying to clear his name which means he doesn't need a second chance.

If he gets his conviction overturned then society owes him an apology but until he does that for me he can't return to such a high profile job in the public eye.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

How long before all this court rulings gets over with a full final verdict ?? Till then I believe he may have to keep low profile..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

His current judicial review will probably take a year to complete although they might be able to appeal for a fast track given the high profile nature of the case and the fact that currently it is stopping him from returning to his profession.

One thing that I think does need clearing up is the comparison of Evans with Hughes/McCormick (both killed people as a result of drunk driving and served their sentances and returned to the game). Neither of these men denied what they did and both admitted they had struggled with the guilt of what happened and showed remorse to the victims but there is no law stopping them from returning to their profession.

Now the FA are considering introducing a code of conduct for players and a license scheme where you effectively are given a pro license in the same way a laywer/doctor has a license to practise law/medicine in this country. This license can be taken away a variety of reason which effectively stops them from practising their profession. Football maybe needs to introduce something similar if you are a full time professional you sign up to a code of conduct/ethics that if you fail to uphold you will face punishment for. Number 1 on that list should be if you are convicted in a criminal case you are banned until your sentance is served in full (that includes the part where you're out on license). They may also decide that certain convictions carry a life ban although from a legal stand point the life ban is a tricky thing to enforce. Other offences such as drink driving which are often dealt with as financial penalties by the courts could also attract a ban. Like it or not these guys as role models for young people in this country and it's time they started acting like it they live a very privelaged lifestyle and in local communities they are people who a lot of people look up to. Lets not forget the reason they're role models to a lot of people is that in most cases a professional footballer has come from a working class background and football is one of few high paying professions where your background isn't a barrier to entry if you have the talent and discispline you can make it

I've read the case and I accept there are holes in it and that is why they've been able to get it reviewed they don't offer this to everyone you have to present clear evidence of a potential mistrial and I'm guessing his case is based on new evidence that was not available at the time of his original trial.

It's very dangerous second guessing the report a jury and an appeal committee convicted him based on the evidence that was availalbe at the time and the way it was presented the legal teams and found him guilty. Getting a guilty verdict is a lot harder than a not guilty verdict as every person starts the trial as innocent it's up to the legal team to swing the balance of probabilities to guilty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

I believe it should be as fast tracked as possible .. i dont like the idea of License they are role models and they should act like one .. i also think it couldnt legally possible hell the more legal you cant eliminate all the loop holes .. What they must do is draw the standards one must follow and every club must add those clauses in player contract ..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

I believe it should be as fast tracked as possible .. i dont like the idea of License they are role models and they should act like one .. i also think it couldnt legally possible hell the more legal you cant eliminate all the loop holes .. What they must do is draw the standards one must follow and every club must add those clauses in player contract ..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:

I'm not sure they should fast track it why should he get preferential treatment because he's a footballer? His case in the bigger scheme of things is not that important he wants to clear his name but there doesn't appear to be any new evidence he just has new lawyers who claim they can do a better job than the last one.

If he keeps protesting his innocence then I don't think clubs can go near him but if he accepts his conviction and takes action to raise awareness and encourage young men to not make the same mistakes he did people might start to forgive him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rapist Ched Evans has submitted "fresh evidence" which he hopes will get his conviction overturned.

The disgraced Wales football international was jailed for five years in 2012 after being found guilty of raping a drunken 19-year-old woman at a hotel in Rhyl.

The 26-year-old was released last year after serving half of his sentence.

Evans' website says new evidence has been lodged with the Criminal Cases Review Commission by his lawyers.

It is claimed these details "strengthens" his case.

The statement on his website reads: "The application to the Criminal Cases Review Commission on behalf of Ched Evans was submitted on 15 July 2014 and was given Level 1 priority in September 2014.

"On Friday 23rd January 2015 further detailed submissions - supported by previously unavailable fresh evidence that we believe strengthens Ched's application - were lodged with the Commission."

An earlier bid to gain permission to appeal against Evans' conviction was rejected by three judges at the Court of Appeal in 2012.

Evans has made attempts to restart his career at Sheffield United and Oldham Athletic, but both efforts collapsed in the face of a huge public outcry.

Earlier this month, Evans apologised "for the effects" of his actions in 2011 but continues to maintain his innocence over his rape conviction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Sheffield United footballer Ched Evans is to have an appeal against his rape conviction heard after a miscarriages of justice watchdog received information that raises a “real possibility” that the judgment against him could be quashed.

Evans, 26, was convicted in April 2012 of raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel in Rhyl, north Wales. He was released from prison in October last year after serving half of his five-year sentence.

He applied to the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC), which investigates possible miscarriages of justice, after his attempt to appeal against his conviction was rejected.

Following a 10-month investigation, the CCRC decided to refer the case to the court of appeal, which means the court is obliged hear a full appeal.

The woman raped by Evans had to change her name and move house five times after Twitter trolls identified her online. The footballer has always maintained his innocence, claiming he took part in consensual sex.

The CCRC said it made the referral after new information – not raised at trial – was received, which raises the possibility of the court of appeal quashing the conviction. The information could have added support to Evans’s defence at trial, the commission added.

Richard Foster, chair of the CCRC, said: “The decision of the commission is not a judgment on guilt or innocence in relation to Ched Evans, nor is it a judgment about the honesty or integrity of the victim or any other person involved in the case.

“Our role is to consider applications to see if, in our judgment, there is any basis on which to ask the court to hear a fresh appeal – that is our statutory responsibility. In this case we have identified new material which was not considered by the jury at trial and which in our view might have assisted the defence. In those circumstances, it is right and proper for the matter to be before the court so that they can decide whether or not the new information should affect the verdict in this case.”

Evans’s family and his girlfriend, Natasha Massey, have mounted a vocal campaign to have the conviction quashed.

A statement on the campaign’s website said: “Ched and those who closely support him have always maintained that he was wrongly convicted and, using new information that was not presented at his trial, we expect that in time his conviction will be quashed.

“The decision to refer Ched’s case is welcomed by all who know the true facts and Ched would like to thank all those who have supported him since his conviction in April 2012 and his subsequent release from prison in October 2014.

“In particular, the support he received from football fans from many clubs kept his spirits high in the most difficult of circumstances but in particular the support from the many Sheffield United fans who stayed in contact with him.”

The CCRC added that it had been “particularly mindful” of the targeted abuse suffered by the victim and had been careful to keep her informed about stages of the review.

When the case is heard, a number of outcomes are possible. The court of appeal could uphold the conviction, quash it or overturn it and order a retrial.

However, the ordering of retrials is relatively rare when an appellant has already served the sentence.

Evans has made attempts to restart his career but potential moves to Oldham Athletic and his former club Sheffield United collapsed in the face of public outcry.

Louise Pennington, media analyst at campaign group Everyday Victim Blaming, said: “If there are grounds for a possible miscarriage of justice, then it’s got to go through. We would be interested to see what that information is before we make a judgment.

“We hope that the court of appeal in reaching its judgment understands that consent cannot happen when a woman is too drunk to consent. We are also worried with the speed with which this appeal has been granted.

“Our thoughts are with the victim, who has had to move several times because of harassment. Already on Twitter we have reams of rape apologism, especially from Ched’s fans who are particularly abusive.”

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:34 pm 
Major General
Major General

What if he walk out innocent , Can he sue jury ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
What if he walk out innocent , Can he sue jury ?

He may be able to seek compensation from the state for wrongful imprisonment but you can't sue a jury.

The referral is based on new evidence that for whatever reason wasn't allowed as part of his original trial so far we don't know what that evidence is.

My guess is if his conviction is over turned he'll just get on with being a footballer but it has to be some evidence for it to be overturned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:55 am 
Major General
Major General

If proved innocent he should get big compensation and for all the other mental physical troubles he had to go through the girl who accused him should be declared ched`s slut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
If proved innocent he should get big compensation and for all the other mental physical troubles he had to go through the girl who accused him should be declared ched`s slut

Grow up man that girls had enough grief over this as well she's had to change her identity numerous times ove the whole ordeal and Evans was found guilty twice his appeal has already failed once.

If Evans has half a brain all he'll do once he's cleared his name is get on with his life no need to go after anything else his name is clear.

Worth pointing out for this decision to be over turned it'll need to be some "smoking gun" style evidence as the only people who know 100% who consented to what in that room are Evans, his mate and the girl.

It should go out as a warning to any man who goes home with a girl who's under the influence of alcohol you'd better be 100% sure she's consenting to what is going on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:25 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
pakrooney wrote:

You're an idiot. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If it's overturned he'll get a massive payout. I believe it's in excess of £2500 a day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
If it's overturned he'll get a massive payout. I believe it's in excess of £2500 a day.

Is that based on the fact that he's a footballer or is that the going rate for wrongful imprisonment?

That's £912,500 for every year you spend inside so I think he served 2.5 years inside so he'd get a payout of just shy of £2.3m

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wrongful imprisonment not the fact he's a footballer.

I'm sure he's more interested in clearing his name than anything else. Even if he did though would any club go near him now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next