AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coppell Resigns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Brendan Rodgers has been appointed as Reading's new boss after leaving Watford.

More to follow...
:huh:

Has a good knowledge of Reading having served on the coaching staff before going to Watford. Wasn't brillinat by any stretch at Watford, but I don't think anyone could have been, they (Watford) have lost alot of their very good talent. Even in their youngsters, John-Joe O'Toole for example was playing rather well for them but was loaned last season, to cut wage bills.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Read My Lips
"When I am asked about other clubs, people are questioning my integrity and one thing I have mentioned is I always have integrity. I am loyal and find it disloyal when I am asked about other clubs when I am the Watford manager" - Brendan Rodgers, May 22.

"I am absolutely overjoyed to be returning to Reading, a club that has always been close to my heart. This is a fantastic opportunity and I cannot wait to get started. This is a new cycle for Reading and I am delighted to be the man chosen to lead the club to more success" - Brendan Rodgers, June 6.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

'Gareth Southgate is favourite to be the next Reading manager after Brendan Rodgers was axed last night' - The Sun.

'Reading are pondering a move for Darren Ferguson after Brendan Rogers paid the price for Reading's poor start to the season with the sack' - The Daily Mirror.

'Steve Coppell is in line for a sensational return to Reading' - The Daily Star.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: The Reading Job
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:08 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

IAIN DOWIE is closing in on a return to football with Reading.

The former Crystal Palace and Oldham chief, 44, is top of the Royals wanted list to succeed axed Brendan Rodgers.

Dowie's last role was as Alan Shearer's No 2 at Newcastle and sources close to him claim he is interested in the job.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Steve Coppell believes the chances of him making a shock return to Reading are slim.

The Royals are on the lookout for a new manager after dispensing with the services of Brendan Rodgers following a miserable six-month spell at the helm.

Rodgers was brought in to replace Coppell who stepped down following a six-year stint during which he guided the club into the Premier League.

The former Crystal Palace, Brighton and Brentford manager has not thrown his hat into the ring and has not heard from his former employers.

Coppell returned to the Madejski Stadium to work for the media at the weekend as Reading drew 1-1 with Liverpool in the FA Cup third round.

But he does not anticipate being back in Berkshire on a regular basis.

Coppell said: "I went back for the first time to help with commentary for the Liverpool match in the FA Cup and no-one said anything to me.

"If they wanted me to come back they would have been in touch by now."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Got to say congratulations to Reading heartbreak in the playoffs last season where they didn't really turn up for the final then had a slow start 4 points after 4 games some clubs would panic and sack the manager who had very little experience in the first place.

They've been on a crazy run this they've won 15, drawn 1 and lost 1 of their last 17 games which considering how tight the championship is makes it even more unbelievable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Compare & contrast with an average Wigan home game :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:35 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Serbinator wrote:
Compare & contrast with an average Wigan home game :lol:

The numbers in the stand look the same

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Reading chairman Sir John Madejski insists the club will tackle their return to the Premier League in "the Reading way".

Sir John and prospective owner Anton Zingarevich, whose takeover was due to be completed in March, have big plans for the Royals following their return to the big time, which was secured by a 1-0 home win over Nottingham Forest on Tuesday night.

Promotion could be worth as much as £90million to the Berkshire outfit, who need a maximum of four points from their remaining two games to clinch the npower Championship title, but there will be no wild spending.

Sir John told BBC Radio Berkshire: "I have put a lot of money into this football club, which I'm quite happy about.

"And I hope the Zingarevich family will take Reading on to a different level and into Europe and beyond.

"It's all well getting to the Premier League, but you need deep investment to stay there. We have found very pleasant people in the Zingarevichs, who will continue to do things the Reading way.

"It bodes well for Reading and I hope they will take the club much further.

"I'll be staying on as chairman. If anything, it [the takeover] is a fantastic insurance policy.

"We will strengthen as we see fit. We have already strengthened and that will carry on.

"What I don't want is people thinking Reading are an open cheque book. We will be as careful as we have been in the past."

Reading, of course, are now worth significantly more than when Sir John agreed a price with Zingarevich back in January, but he will not try to seek a better deal.

He said: "The club is more valuable now, but I have struck a deal, and a deal is a deal."

A delighted Zingarevich, who hopes to finally complete his takeover imminently, revealed planning for life in the top flight is already under way with plans for player recruitment and a potential extension to the 24,000-capacity Madejski Stadium in hand.

He told BBC Radio Berkshire: "The Premier League is where you want to be as a football club owner.

"I think there is a lot to develop here, but the infrastructure that is already in place is key.

"We have already started looking at upgrading the Academy and the training facilities.

"If we stay up the first year, then we will upgrade the stadium. There are a lot of things to do, but there is a lot of potential."

Director of football Nicky Hammond will work hand in hand with manager Brian McDermott as the club attempt to develop on the pitch, and he too is expecting evolution rather than revolution.

He told Sky Sports: "There are two games to go and we are top, and we want to stay there. In the first instance, that's the most important thing.

"Then we will sit down over the next couple of days and start to look at the numbers and plan going forward.

"But it will be the Reading way. We always do it in a sensible fashion, not cavalier.

"In my conversations with Anton over the last number of weeks, I don't anticipate that will change too much, really."

Tuesday night's win sparked massed celebrations on the pitch and in the home dressing room, where one man decided he could not miss out.

Midfielder Jem Karacan started the night in hospital after undergoing surgery to repair his broken ankle, but was determined not to miss the celebrations.

He told Sky Sports: "As soon as I knew we had been promoted, I said, 'Right, get me out of here'.

"I asked the nurse to discharge me - I don't think she was too pleased about it - and my mum took me down to the stadium.

"I was pushed in the wheelchair into the changing room and saw all the boys, and that was it, really, the best day ever.

"A little tear came to my eye. My sister was screaming more than me, I think, and my mum. They were just absolutely delighted.

"Noel [Hunt] wheeled me through in his pants and just seeing all the lads, it was amazing, the chairman, the new owner - it was just brilliant to see the gaffer.

"It was just the best feeling ever."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: The Reading Room
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Well, this would certainly be a way to make a splash upon arrival in the Premier League.

Reading have already bagged Garath McCleary, but The Daily Star reckons they have their eyes on another flashy-but-often-infuriating winger.

The paper claims they are sniffing around Joe Cole, currently of course flitting between Lille's first-team and Lille's bench, but owned by Liverpool.

Apparently Reading are 'desperate to land a big name' and Cole is 'one of the names at the top of their shortlist.'

'But what of Cole's f*cking massive wages?' you cry.

Well: 'Cole currently has two years left on his £70,000-a-week Reds deal and matching those terms would be a problem for the Royals.

'But they are exploring the possibility of taking Cole on loan for a season and paying a percentage of his wage packet.'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

10.15: Some rather dubious speculation now, with Hull City's Robert Koren linked with a move to Reading.

The midfielder's agent, Zoran Krneta, said: "I cannot tell you anything right now as is it early days, but there has been a long-term admiration by Brian McDermott for Robert.

"He tried six years ago to buy Robert, but he joined West Brom.

"Robert is a player Brian knows very well, but the circumstances were different back then."

There's a slight problem with that Zoran, Brian McDermott wasn't Reading manager six years ago.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

A deal we could see today: Pavel Pogrebnyak is likely to sign on the dotted line at Reading in a deal worth £30,000 a week, according to the Reading Chronicle.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:56 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
After the way he performed for Fulham I'm surprised there haven't been more interested in him. He was a real handful for our defenders when we played them at OT, and his scoring rate was very impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Be suprised if they're getting him for £30k a week I would of thought he'd be on something around that at his current club.

A real handful of a striker suprised Fulham didn't do all they could to keep him he really filled the void left by Zamora.

Plenty of clubs in the Prem need a striker suprised he's signing for a promoted club still he's an upgrade on Jason Roberts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm 
Major General
Major General

I heard that he rejected Fulham :shrug:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Spawny wrote:

If I was a footballer I'd insist that I get to rip down the Michael Jackson statue as part of my signing on fee.

This would be instant cult hero status with the fans so when they realise that I'm actually rubbish and I've mugged the club off for £30k a week they wont give me a hard time :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
Spawny wrote:

If I was a footballer I'd insist that I get to rip down the Michael Jackson statue as part of my signing on fee.

This would be instant cult hero status with the fans so when they realise that I'm actually rubbish and I've mugged the club off for £30k a week they wont give me a hard time :lol:

That is genius!! Shame Al Fayed would never sanction it, not his beloved Jacko statue :nono:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

McDermot sacked as manager.

Didn't get the impression team wasn't playing for him not sure another manager will get them out of trouble.

Di Canio is the favourite for the job

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just another sh*tty decision from chairmen/owners.

They've got what..9 games to get safe? Haven't really spent a lot at all and again, he got them promoted, they're likely to go down and he would've been a good bet at getting them back up.

Di Canio seems like he could be a good manager, but can he save them in such a short time? Doesn't seem any more likely than with McDermott.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next