Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading FC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Reading insist that manager Steve Coppell will be offered a new contract, even if they do not win promotion.

The Royals were relegated from the Premier League last season and Coppell admitted he was ready to quit.

But the club and their fans persuaded the former Crystal Palace boss to stay on and they are now very much in the chase to escape from the Championship.

Coppell's current contract expires in the summer but director of football Nicky Hammond insists that talks are set to commence.

"As yet we haven't had any discussions about a new contract for Steve, but we will," said Hammond.

"It's not him or us dodging the issue."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Royals Set For Coppell Talks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
He never gets mentioned with the united job, unlike other former players Bruce, Hughes, Ince Keane etc. He's got got more right to be mentioned above at least two of those. I wonder why this is.

Do you think it would be worth a bigger club having a punt on him? Chelsea would be the obvious choice, but I can see that being a big risk, by why dont Blackburn, Bolton, Newxastle etc ever go in for him?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
He never gets mentioned with the united job, unlike other former players Bruce, Hughes, Ince Keane etc. He's got got more right to be mentioned above at least two of those. I wonder why this is.

Do you think it would be worth a bigger club having a punt on him? Chelsea would be the obvious choice, but I can see that being a big risk, by why dont Blackburn, Bolton, Newxastle etc ever go in for him?

Citeh tried it ....and he flipped his lid in 33 days, left a jibbering wreck!

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Do you think that was job or he was just at a bad place at that time. He's an odd man for sure.

He'd be ok a mid table clubs I would think, perhaps it's because he's always on the verge of quitting, to much of a gamble.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

he doesn't cope well under genuine pressure...something I believe he admitted himself, when they talked of the England job

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Coppell hits the 1,000 mark and retires (not)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Steve Coppell will be a proud man tonight when he reaches 1,000 games as a manager, but he readily admits: ‘If I’d had a full playing career I don’t think I’d have gone into management.’

This magnificent milestone takes third-placed Reading to Doncaster, desperate to get their automatic promotion bid back on course after one win in eight matches.

The former Manchester United and England winger, who became the youngest league manager at 28 with Crystal Palace 25 years ago, turned to management after a knee injury finished an illustrious career six or seven years too early.

For a man who believes implicitly that management is purely a results business, he has been a remarkable survivor and is not afraid to say: ‘Losing games makes you very old, very quickly in management — as I can assure you at the present moment!’

I'm still standing: manager Steve Coppell urges his Reading challengers on from the sidelines

But he can point to many more successes than failures, like back-to-back League Managers’ Association manager of the year titles for leading Reading to the Premier
League and following up with eighth place; taking Palace to the FA Cup final and a replay against Manchester United by beating previous 9-0 conquerors Liverpool
in the semi-finals and guiding Palace to third place in the 1991 top flight behind only Arsenal and Liverpool.

Not bad for a man who confesses: ‘Often I wondered what on earth I was doing and would have been happier going to prison than driving to the training ground!’

Probably his greatest feat was to take on the previously unknown Ian Wright and help him become a legend at both Palace and Arsenal, with Wright admitting: ‘Steve has played an integral part in my life, not just my career.’

Coppell remembers Wright’s arrival at Palace. ‘This fella just came in, virtually off the streets,’ he recalls. ‘He was almost 22, not played for anyone, no background or history. Yet he had left foot, right foot, headers, pace. He was, without doubt, the player who came from nowhere.’

Champagne moment: Wright (second right, front) clutches Coppell as Palace celebrate beating Blackburn in the 1989 Division 2 playoffs

The job has changed enormously since Coppell took his first terrified, tentative steps. ‘For my first away trip with Palace, I had an assistant manager in Ian Evans, a part-time physio who met us at the away ground and our kitman was also the groundsman.

‘Now, even at Championship level, they often have a staff of nine or 10: sports scientists, physios, analysts, everything that goes with it. Back then it was a hugely
different animal. In my first season at Palace they had only just escaped relegation the three previous seasons, there was no money and they were not a good team.

‘There’s nothing worse as a manager going into a dressing room, your team has lost and your players are looking at you for some kind of answer and direction and you don’t have an answer as you don’t have enough experience or knowledge.

‘My idea was based on players from Old Trafford. Down a division or two is a very different environment. I was totally lost. It’s a results business. If you get results, you get another job — if you don’t, then you haven’t much of a prospect.

‘I’ve been very fortunate, took Palace to a cup final and a replay with United, got them to third in the equivalent of the Premier League. I’ve taken Reading into the Premier League and then finished eighth, which I now respect more than I did at the time.

‘For me to get the club back into the Premier League again this year would be a massive achievement.’

There will be no celebration tonight even if Reading win, as Coppell says: ‘As always, it will be a process of preparation for the next game. That’s what I concentrate on. And, lo and behold, you’ve got to 1,000 games or 46 games and a season is over. I will wait until then and decide what to do.’

Coppell was persuaded once before by chairman Sir John Madejski to stay when he felt it might be time to go. Whether promotion is achieved or not, he may well seriously question staying around too much longer. He has nothing else to prove.

An intensely private man, he was vilified when he was perceived to have walked out on Manchester City after only a few days because he couldn’t handle a ‘big club’.

Although Coppell refuses to discuss it, the reasons were completely family orientated and it is a nonsense to suggest he did not have the courage.

Glen Little, brought back to Reading from Portsmouth, says: ‘Everywhere he’s gone, he’s been successful. I don’t know whether he’d have wanted to, but maybe it’s a shame he’s never managed a really big club. It’ll be a special night but he probably won’t even mention it. He just let’s his management do the talking.’

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Coppell hits the 1,000 mark
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Says Steve Coppell as he hits the headlines:

"I'm joining a very limited club and am proud to be doing so."

Bit harsh on Reading - they have a lovely stadium.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Coppell hits the 1,000 mark
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mail On Sunday 'exclusive', April 25: 'Steve Coppell will end a 25-year managerial career by leaving Reading at the end of the season, regardless of whether they are promoted to the Premier League. Coppell, who celebrated his 1,000th game as a manager last month, is sticking by a pledge to close friends that this will be his final campaign despite enjoying the run-in to the season.'

Steve Coppell, April 27: "I've had a lot of people congratulate me on my retirement. It's absolute rubbish. What would I do all day? It's a non-story. No one has any idea what I'll be doing this summer, not even me, but it's a nonsense to say that I want to walk away from football."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Steve Coppell has resigned as manager of Reading in the wake of the club's 2-0 defeat at home to Burnley in the second leg of the Championship play-offs on Tuesday night.

The Royals were looking to make an immediate return to the Premier League following their relegation last season and had made a superb start to the campaign only to see their form fall away in the final three months of the season.

Second-half goals from Martin Paterson and Steven Thompson at the Madjeski Stadium yesterday ended the Royals hopes and instead ensured Burnley will play Sheffield United at Wembley for a place in the Premier League.

Coppell had initially refused to comment on his future in the post-match press conference but just a few hours later the 53-year-old confirmed his departure in a statement on Reading's official website.

"Following our exit from the play-offs, I feel it's the best thing, for both the club and myself, for me to leave," he said.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Reading manager and would like to thank everyone connected to the club for the support I have received."

Coppell took charge of Reading in 2003 and guided them to promotion to the Premier League three years later.

"I am very disappointed to confirm that Steve has decided to step aside as our manager, but I respect his wishes," added Royals chairman Sir John Madejski.

"I would like to thank Steve sincerely for everything he has done for Reading over the last five and a half years, which has been the most successful period in the Club's history."

Madejski and Coppell will hold a joint press conference at 11am on Thursday morning at the Madejski Stadium.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Coppell Resigns
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

A Man Who Chose His Words Very Carefully
"I've had an awful lot of people congratulate me on my retirement and ask me my plans but it's absolute rubbish. What would I do all day? It's a non-story. No-one has any idea what I'll be doing this summer, not even me, but it's a nonsense to say that I want to walk away from football" - Steve Coppell, April 28.

"Following our exit from the play-offs, I feel it's the best thing, for both the club and myself, for me to leave. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Reading manager and would like to thank everyone connected to the club for the support I have received" - Steve Coppell, May 13.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:41 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

can't believe it :( but i suppose he'll go down as a reading legend, and the way he walked away once he knew he couldn't take us further, i have to thank him for that. reading fans always expected this a bit though.... but i suppose we'll see how good he really is when we get a new manager in

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Garf wrote:
can't believe it :( but i suppose he'll go down as a reading legend, and the way he walked away once he knew he couldn't take us further, i have to thank him for that. reading fans always expected this a bit though.... but i suppose we'll see how good he really is when we get a new manager in

I was chatting to a brighton fan today, he said Coppell is the best manger they've had, he was only there 5 minutes wasn't he. He was also saying that his bad spell at City coincided with a divorce and his kids etc were down here so his head wasn't right.

One of my favourite united players. I think he'll end up in the prem again soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
I think he'll end up in the prem again soon.

I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling he may be done

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:21 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mr Carrot wrote:
Garf wrote:

I was chatting to a brighton fan today, he said Coppell is the best manger they've had, he was only there 5 minutes wasn't he. He was also saying that his bad spell at City coincided with a divorce and his kids etc were down here so his head wasn't right.

One of my favourite united players. I think he'll end up in the prem again soon.

yeah he said that he left man city because of personal reasons so i'd presume that's why he left city, however i saw on some reading boards a while ago rumours that he left because he couldn't take the pressure of a job at a club that big (i don't believe it though)

Also i hope he does get a decent mid table prem job soon and does well. He deserves it as he's always had to work for teams in tight situations, particularly budget wise.

RJ - i too get the feeling he may also be hanging up his career here, or at least for a while, however he has supposedly announced to retire a few times before but came back so you never quite know

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:18 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Not sure he has the nuts to come back, as well as he's done. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:59 pm 
Major
Major

Going back to Mr C early post in Feb why he never got a mention for the the United job is purely because he never worked with SAF imo whereas the others did, I believe if they went for a former player they would want a SAF mkII, like how we went for a Sir Matt Busby mkII with Wilf McGuinness..but we all know how that turned out..

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:21 am 
Private First Class
Private First Class

hmmm, seems that he does want to get back into management sometime then according the the press conference from this morning

the real question now is who can replace him? reading fans have it down as being bredan rogers, but a lot of them also think it might be curbishley. and i dunno how coppell leaving will effect the players either, i would imagine a lot of them stayed when we got relegated because they had faith in coppell for getting them back up.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:58 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Garf wrote:
hmmm, seems that he does want to get back into management sometime then according the the press conference from this morning

the real question now is who can replace him? reading fans have it down as being bredan rogers, but a lot of them also think it might be curbishley. and i dunno how coppell leaving will effect the players either, i would imagine a lot of them stayed when we got relegated because they had faith in coppell for getting them back up.

Curbs wouldn't be a bad bet I reckon, he'd probabally do pretty well too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Peterborough's director of football Barry Fry has confirmed that manager Darren Ferguson is no longer in the running for the vacant Reading manager's job.

Reading had an approach for Ferguson rebuffed last week and the Coca-Cola Championship club have now confirmed that Ferguson is not on their final shortlist of four candidates.

Fry told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "All these clubs and all this speculation, Darren can't help it, he's been linked with every job that there's a managerial vacancy for, which is not his fault.

"But we've only had one enquiry and that was from the director of football at Reading where he said he had a list of 12 that he was going to his chairman with and Darren was on that, would we give them permission to speak to him.

"And the rest is history, we said no certainly not.

"The same director of football phoned me on Saturday morning to say that he'd seen his chairman, he'd drawn up a shortlist of four and Darren wasn't on it so that's the end of it as far as we're concerned."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Brendan Rodgers has been appointed as Reading's new boss after leaving Watford.

More to follow...
:huh:

ImageImage
Quote: