AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: QPR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
QPR have signed the Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long loan from Napoli. The 24-year-old had attracted interest from across Europe after he helped his country to the knockout stages of the World Cup this summer.

Harry Redknapp said: “Eduardo is a quality player. He’s sharp, he’s bright, and he’s very lively on and off the ball. He can play as a No9, he can play in behind, he can play wide, he’s very versatile.”

The news of the deal to loan Vargas comes a day after Leroy Fer completed his move to Loftus Road from Norwich for an undisclosed fee.

Vargas, who has also played on loan at Valencia while on Napoli’s books, said: “I’ve come here to do as much as I can and I’m very happy to play for QPR. It’s a very exciting league and a super-competitive league and a lot of players look forward to coming to play here in England. My biggest characteristic is one of speed. I’m always looking towards goal. My intention is to give 100% and not let myself down and to work hard for the team.”

Vargas scored five goals in 25 appearances for Valencia and has 15 goals in 32 games for Chile, most notably the winner against Spain in the World Cup group stages. He joins his countryman Mauricio Isla, the 26-year-old who moved to QPR on loan from Juventus last month.

Vargas is QPR’s sixth signing of the summer following Fer, Isla, Rio Ferdinand, Jordon Mutch and Steven Caulker.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tony Fernandes felt only reverence when he met Harry Redknapp. “When we played Newcastle in my first game as chairman, Harry came to watch,” says the Queens Park Rangers owner. “I was in awe of meeting the Harry Redknapp. I thought: ‘It’d be great if one day … ’ Life has a funny way of twisting and turning and he’s ended up with us.”

The anecdote is supposedly about Redknapp but really goes straight to the heart of who Fernandes is. For a multi-millionaire proprietor of an airline, Air Asia, and former F1 team magnate to volunteer fan-like admiration for Redknapp shows an innocence that stands out among the standoffish, slippery and PR-conscious characters who populate English football. It is why fans sing Fernandes’s name, why he was “ripped off” when QPR were previously in the Premier League and why he remains firmly the same man. “I can’t change my spirit,” says the 50-year-old.

Fernandes is sitting in a box at Loftus Road freshly showered from an ice-bucket challenge that featured a quadruple dousing, the legacy of a promise that the number of fans who could empty water over him should match QPR’s next result, which would be a 4-0 trouncing by Tottenham Hotspur. He says: “Nothing’s going to change me, I’m still a kid at Wembley jumping up and down like a lunatic,” recalling QPR’s play-off final victory in May. “I’m not cynical or bitter in any way. Life’s too short, you get ripped off, but if you hold a grudge it’s going to affect you. You take it on the chin, you learn, you try not to make the same mistakes.”

Those errors became the story of QPR’s two Premier League campaigns before they were relegated at the close of the 2012-13 season. After gaining promotion under Neil Warnock, a scattergun transfer policy acquired some questionable players at a cost that made the club the highest spenders in agent fees – £6.81m. A year later QPR “dropped” to third position, yet paid out £6.82m. In the relegation year of 2013, the bill was £5.66m.

Since Fernandes bought a 66% stake in QPR in the summer of 2011, 46 players have been bought or loaned. While one of these recruits, Joey Barton, is club captain, many of the those under Warnock, his successor, Mark Hughes, and Redknapp drew inflated salaries, proved divisive to team spirit and appeared mercenary. Chris Samba’s January 2013 arrival for a club-record £12.5m was flagged up as “just what we need” by Redknapp. Yet, despite the central defender receiving a scarcely credible £100,000 a week, he returned to Anzhi Makhachkala that summer.

On replacing Hughes in November 2012 Redknapp described himself as “disturbed” by the attitude of some players. The next month, José Bosingwa refused to be a substitute against Fulham, as the team sat second from bottom. Of this whole experience, Fernandes previously said: “I allowed myself to be exploited but that’s my choice.” Now he says: “I was trying to say: ‘You can’t sit there and blame everyone else, so you’ve got to take it on the chin.’”

As a successful businessman, how did Fernandes allow it to occur? “When I started my airline business I didn’t know everything, right? If I start up a newspaper tomorrow I might get ripped off by journalists,” he says. “You’d be naive to think you know everything from day one.”

Fernandes admits the sacking of Warnock, in January 2012, and Hughes the following winter may have been other mistakes. “It’s history now but could Neil Warnock have still been here? I liked him, I got on well with him and maybe we were swayed at the time. Mark Hughes is doing a good job at Stoke, he did a good job before, but we went a lot of times without winning, so maybe something had to be done,” he says of a winless run in the opening 12 matches of the 2012-13 season that left QPR bottom by late November.

Redknapp has just been awarded a new deal. “What happens if we don’t win for 12 or 13 games?” says Fernandes, with trademark honesty. “But I think we’ve made our mind up to stick – we’ll just stick with Harry come what may. We want stability, we want players to know he’s the manager. A different approach, I think. My whole life’s been stability. People who have worked with me have for a long time. Air Asia is the same people who started it.

“I don’t believe football clubs can be any different. You only have to look at the most successful football clubs – Matt Busby, Bob Paisley, Alex Ferguson, they were all at their clubs for a long time. Martínez at Wigan and I’m sure at Everton, if he’s not nicked by someone. That’s a business principle that works.

“Many fans might resent me saying it but I was a West Ham fan. We had about three managers in 25 years, Greenwood, Lyall, and then it went pear-shaped. I believe fundamentally managers can do so much – it’s players at the end of the day. Harry said something like the system is the system but the players have to play to the system.”

Being involved at the sharp end remains a joy. “It’s still fun. I love it,” Fernandes says. “People say: ‘Why the hell do you own a football club?’ But Wembley was an amazing feeling, not many people in the world have that. Winning is an amazing feeling. You don’t get that in business, you don’t get that in many things. Listen, there’ll be more downs than ups but the ups balance out the downs.”

Malaysian-born and English-educated, Fernandes took an accountancy degree at the London School of Economics – he is uniquely positioned to comment on overseas owners. Does he think they are unfairly viewed? Vincent Tan’s experience at Cardiff City suggests foreigners can be negatively stereotyped.

“I think the major press goes to the manager and players, the owner is subsidiary to this unless there’s a lot of noise about it,” says Fernandes. “Communication is maybe where some owners are poor. I’ve made tons of mistakes but the fans out there still seem to like me, they still sing my name – we’re one of the few clubs where a chairman’s name is actually sung. That’s not because there’s anything fantastic about me but fans can relate to me, I communicate with them. So the difference – and I don’t think it’s overseas owners – is how you communicate. There’s English owners who are poor communicators as well.”

Fernandes has a strong presence on social media, often answering supporters on Twitter. “I believe in transparency, I believe fans of the club are the shareholders of the club. They may not be putting in as much money as a shareholder but they’re paying in a large part of their wage to watch QPR. That should be respected. We can’t make all 40,000, 50,000 happy or there’d be anarchy but we try and get their views. Our new stadium, training ground, a lot of things we did have come out of fans’ input.”

A consultation has begun over the plans for a new ground, at Old Oak in nearby Acton. What is the long-term vision for QPR? “It’s a tough old league,” Fernandes chuckles. “But the best thing I ever saw at a football club – and if I can emulate that I would’ve done something good – was at Everton. A plaque from the Premier League saying: ‘Twenty consecutive seasons.’ That’d be fantastic, so that’s my goal to start off with. It’s tough for us small boys but there are many small boys like us.”

Next for QPR is a visit to the new galáctico-style Manchester United of Radamel Falcao and Ángel di María. “I’m looking forward to it,” says Fernandes. “Quality is quality – they just need a few things to go their way – but I honestly believe Harry’s got good enough players, so I believe we have enough. I believe the manager will say we never have enough – but he’s no different from any other manager. Unfortunately for Harry, I don’t have £56m to go and buy Di María.”

In the relentless 24/7 Premier League whirlwind, what Redknapp does have is priceless: a chairman and owner who wants to give him every chance.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Football League has confirmed QPR could be consigned to the Conference in the event of relegation from the top flight if they refuse to pay a huge fine incurred under its financial fair play rules.

QPR are expected to face a fine of up to £40m when they reveal their financial results later this year, covering the season they spent in the Championship following relegation from the Premier League.

The club posted record pre-tax losses of £65.4m for the year ending May 2013, when they were relegated from the Premier League. The losses for the last financial year, expected to be made public in December, are also expected to be sizeable.

The QPR chairman Tony Fernandes has vowed to fight any fine imposed by the Football League, which would have to go to charity rather than the other clubs under an agreement with the Premier League over its solidarity payments.

The Football League chief executive, Shaun Harvey, said he was “satisfied” that it would be able to charge QPR for a breach of the rules while they were still part of the competition and that the ultimate sanction would be to refuse re-admission.

“Theoretically, that is the position but I would hope there would be resolution long before that option even had to be considered. The one thing for certain is that most clubs [in the Premier League] will become a Football League club again,” said Harvey, speaking at the Soccerex conference in Manchester.

“Now QPR will of course be hoping it does not happen for some considerable number of seasons but the chances they will need to return to the Football League fold at some point. Certainly, three of the 20 clubs that are in the Premier League will be in the Football League next season.”

Clubs that remain within the Football League that breach the rules, introduced in 2012, face a transfer embargo but those that win promotion are fined instead.

“Will we fight the fine? What do you think? After all we’ve been through, it’s my middle name – ‘Fight It’ Fernandes,” said the QPR chairman after the club won promotion.

“My view has been consistent, that it is very unfair for a club that has been relegated as the wage difference between the Premier League and Championship is impossible. There should be a time period for clubs to rectify their salaries.

“If we were in the Championship in two years with that wage bill it wouldn’t be right. I’m in favour of FFP but it is unfair for a club coming down.”

The Premier League chief executive, Richard Scudamore, is also on record as saying the rules needed to be amended. Harvey said there was little chance of them being altered before the FFP declarations had to be made on 1 December.

Harvey said: “Unless the 24 clubs vote to change the rules, the rules as they are now will stay in place. I don’t suspect there is any form of rule change that would be considered or brought forward that would see the current circumstances we potentially face changing.”

He added that discussions with the Premier League were continuing over trying to standardise their financial fair play rules.

“There’s a long-standing discussion that’s taken place between the Football League and the Premier League as to how to try to ensure that we have regulations that actually work for clubs regardless of which division they’re in,” he said.

“We do talk to them periodically about any number of issues and this features – being topical – relatively high on that agenda.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Queens Park Rangers boss Harry Redknapp has called on Adel Taarabt to shape up following his latest injury setback.

Taarabt has been ruled out of this weekend's clash with Stoke after suffering an ankle injury in training.

The Moroccan has featured for just one minute in the Premier League this season and Redknapp is concerned about his fitness problems, believing Taarabt struggles to control his weight when he is on the sidelines.

“Adel’s twisted his ankle this week. We had him in training and after 15 minutes he had to limp off again so we’re back to square one with him," said Redknapp.

“We just can’t get him fit. He keeps trying to come back on it and it’s going again. Do you rest him a few weeks?

“But then while he’s resting, is he going to put on weight, how are you going to get him fit? It’s such a difficult job with him.

"He needs to get his weight down and get it right so we get him fit to play. I’d like to have him available against Stoke as he’s got great ability.

“We’ve got to get him fit and he’s got to get himself fit. We all want him fit. If he does that he could be a big asset to us this year.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Harry Redknapp does get down. He does get introspective and horribly gloomy. Defeat has always done this to him and, after 31 years in football management, it is not getting any easier. Monday was a black day for the Queens Park Rangers manager and so was Sunday, when his team lost 2-0 at West Ham United, his former club, to sit bottom of the Premier League table.

Redknapp’s soul-searching had a plaintive edge. He sounded fed up. At the age of 67 he appeared to be asking whether he still needed it – the 5.30am starts to get himself from Poole to London for training, the battles with his dodgy knee, the general aggro?

Redknapp is into the final year of his QPR contract and, according to him, he does not want to sign a new one, despite the willingness of the club’s chairman, Tony Fernandes, to tie him down for a little longer. Redknapp said that his future depended on whether QPR stayed up. “We’ll see where we are come next May,” he added. “I may have had enough by then and so might the people that run the club.”

Redknapp will doubtless bounce back. He usually does. His ills are nothing that a thumping victory would not cure, even if he will have to wait until Sunday week for his next shot at one. QPR face Liverpool at Loftus Road after the international break and, thereafter, their fixtures are Aston Villa (home), Chelsea (away) and Manchester City (home). It does not get any easier.

Redknapp will use the international break to regroup and to attempt to bolster the fitness levels of his players, some of whom are not 100% after recent injuries. He hopes to arrange a behind-closed-doors match to help the process.

There has also been a new signing, with Les Ferdinand returning to the club where he made his name as a barnstorming centre-forward. He has been appointed as head of football operations, with the brief to coach at all levels from the academy upwards and to seek to improve the club’s footballing philosophy. Redknapp previously brought Ferdinand on to the coaching staff at his former club, Tottenham Hotspur.

But Redknapp’s angst and the uncertain future of which he speaks is not a good look and it is impossible to ignore the uneasy sense of deja vu. This is Fernandes’s third season in Premier League football after he assumed majority control of QPR in August 2011, and the first two featured poor results and headache-inducing problems, with the biggest one being whether to keep faith with the manager.

In 2011-12, with the team one point above the relegation places in early January, Fernandes sacked Neil Warnock and replaced him with Mark Hughes. They stayed up – by one point. In 2012-13, following the worst start to a top-flight campaign in the club’s history (no wins and four points from 12 matches), Fernandes sacked Hughes and replaced him with Redknapp. They went down.

Fernandes has been keen to talk up the promotion campaign from the Championship under Redknapp, when they edged to a fortunate victory over Derby County in the play-off final, and he is entitled to ask, as he has done on Twitter, how many other clubs have won immediate promotion back into the Premier League. Or, indeed, where many of the relegated clubs now find themselves. QPR became only the 17th team to come straight back up since the inception of the Premier League in 1992-93.

But here we are again, with QPR struggling at the wrong end of the table, the problems seemingly everywhere and Fernandes potentially approaching the point where he has to consider whether to stick or twist with the manager. It is clear that Fernandes loves Redknapp. He considers him to be a friend, as well as a manager he respects and there is little he would want more than to see Redknapp lead QPR to the target of Premier League consolidation. Fernandes might already have considered making the change if it were anyone other than Redknapp.

The subject of the manager’s dismissal is not on Fernandes’ agenda at the moment but there could well come a time when it is. The issue of Fernandes’ loyalty stands to offer an interesting dynamic. He is on record as saying that he ought to have sacked Hughes sooner, that he was effectively too loyal to him.

Redknapp is, at least, working with a more spirited squad than the one that was riven by splits and infighting under Hughes. One of Redknapp’s strong points is his ability to sign characters and mould a strong dressing room. It also has to be remembered that the season is only seven games old.

But backs have been pressed to the wall and the questions are unforgiving. Redknapp spent most of pre-season working on a 3-5-2 formation and he signed players for the system, including the wing-back, Mauricio Isla, from Juventus on loan. But Redknapp ditched it after two games. Has he wasted time and money? Isla is not as comfortable as a more defensively minded full-back in a back four.

Then, there was the Loïc Rémy situation. It was obvious that the France World Cup striker wanted to leave and as his contract contained a buy-out clause, QPR were vulnerable. But they struggled to line up a replacement of similar calibre and they were left to lament what Fernandes has described as a “huge, huge blow” when Chelsea took him just before the transfer deadline. Redknapp’s options up front are slim and the shortage of goals has been one of the biggest problems. They have only four so far.

The club reported pre-tax losses of £65.4m for the year ended May 2013 and they are working against the threat of sanctions from the Football League for a possible breach of financial fair play regulations during their season in the Championship last time out.

At present, it is merely assumed that the club will have exceeded the limits, based on their previous financial results and the fact that they did not, or were unable to, cut back in the Championship. It is a fairly solid assumption. QPR must submit their results for the year ended May 2014 by 1 December.

Fernandes has promised to fight any punishment that the Football League mete out and which they would be confident of chasing even while QPR are in the Premier League and, technically, out of their jurisdiction.

When Fernandes took over at Loftus Road he talked of the club as a “rough diamond” that he intended to polish into a “diamond”. He continues to hope that they can build a larger stadium at Old Oak, although that will be a protracted process, with no move likely for nine or 10 years at best. There is also opposition to QPR’s plans for the site from Cargiant, the current occupiers, who reportedly are planning to use the 45-acre area for commercial and residential purposes.

Fernandes is one of the game’s most likeable characters. Open, honest and enthusiastic, he is a dreamer of big dreams. The stars must seem a long way away.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:52 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tony Fernandes insists Queens Park Rangers must move from their Loftus Road home if they are to become a permanent fixture in the Premier League.

R's chairman Fernandes believes relocating to a new 40,000 seat, multi-purpose stadium approximately three miles away at Old Oak Common, would allow the club to fully develop their potential and presents the "only realistic place for us to move".

However the club have yet to reach an agreement to purchase the land required with local motor dealership Car Giant also determined to redevelop the same site.

Fernandes said: "We need to move on from Loftus Road if we are to sustain a top-flight football club and Old Oak Common is the only realistic place for us to move.

"(It is) close to our fans and our roots, with great transport links, and the opportunity to be at the heart of the most exciting new development in west London for years."

QPR say their findings have been favourable, with 88 per cent supporting Old Oak as the location for the Hoops' new stadium.

"We are delighted that so many of our fans and members of the local community share our vision for the future of both QPR and Old Oak," Fernandes added. "This is only the first stage of consultation and we will continue to work with the community as we develop our plans in more detail.

"Old Oak is the biggest regeneration since the Olympics and we have a responsibility to future generations to get it right.

"We need a comprehensive planned approach with a stadium as its beating heart, led by a football club with a stronger interest in the local community than any other kind of business."

The managing director of Car Giant, Tony Mendes, meanwhile, believes his company's own proposals are best suited to the site.

"The plans of Old Oak Park will bring a new and vibrant destination to London with large public open spaces, new schools, waterside recreational areas, thousands of affordable homes for the local community and thousands of new jobs," Mendes said.

"We are making good progress and our public consultation will begin soon asking for community input to assure the regeneration can bring what the residents would like within this exciting new development.

"Our design plans will be based around quality and sustainable open spaces and buildings, and will include an upgrade of the rundown Grand Union Canal. The team looks forward to working with the statutory authorities and the local residents to bring the regeneration plans to life.

"In establishing Old Oak Park Ltd, Car Giant is progressing plans for outline planning permission and has started conducting site surveys.

"We have a firm and compelling vision for Old Oak Common."

If they want to keep spending the way they do then yes they do need to move but the alternative would be a proper investment in to good scouting to find cheaper players of similar quality and also academy structure to supplement that but with 'Arry in charge that will never work as he just wants to employ his mates.

Not sure how the fans would feel about moving away as QPR still retains some of that non-corporate feel to it if they move it'll change the club forever as no doubt if they establish themselves in the PL ticket prices will rocket.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Queens Park Rangers have denied reports that the England defender Steven Caulker was involved in an altercation at the club’s Christmas party on Sunday.

The Sun newspaper claimed that the former Tottenham player was taken to hospital after a mass brawl broke out between QPR and Crystal Palace players at a pub in south-west London. The report stated that fighting began when a drink was spilled over Rio Ferdinand, with Joey Barton having to step in as a peacemaker.

However, QPR’S head of media and communications, Ian Taylor, has denied that Caulker was involved in any altercation but did admit the 22-year-old was treated in hospital for a cut head.

“Following Saturday’s Premier League win versus Burnley & with no further fixture for nine days, the club can confirm players were allowed to have a Sunday lunch together,” he wrote on Twitter.

“Steven Caulker was not involved in an altercation. He did suffer a cut to his head, which he received treatment for at hospital before being discharged on the same evening. The club will be making no further comment.”

Harry Redknapp, QPR’s manager, had said last week that he was not expecting his players to organise a Christmas party as they concentrate on trying to avoid relegation from the Premier League.

“No, I’m not into Christmas parties, not for footballers,” Redknapp said. “I think it’s more aggravation than it’s worth. It’s a changing world out there and there’s always someone out there with a camera on their phone.

“I haven’t spoken to them about it. They haven’t mentioned anything about a Christmas party. I think they understand the pitfalls of going out. You’ve only got to be closing your eyes and someone has got a picture of you making it look like you’re drunk. It’s not worth the hassle.”

QPR’s win over Burnley on Saturday moved them out of the bottom three for the first time since September.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce expects Mauro Zarate to move to QPR on loan in the January transfer window.

Allardyce added that the player was undergoing a medical on Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Argentina striker has scored twice in eight appearances for the Hammers since joining from Velez Sarsfield last summer.

Zarate was quoted in the national press as saying that Allardyce refused to play him because he was signed by Hammers co-chairman David Sullivan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Harry Redknapp will remain as QPR manager, the Premier League club's chairman Tony Fernandes has said.

QPR are second from bottom in the top-flight and there Redknapp's position had been thought to be under threat.

"I thought it was time to end all the speculation, so everyone can focus on the challenge ahead," said Fernandes in a statement on QPR's website.

"I firmly believe Harry is the best man to get us out of the position we currently find ourselves in."

More to follow.

The away form is nothing short of a disgrace and you could argue that the home form is down to the fact that until the weekend they'd played most of the bottom half of the league at home I think Utd were the first top side to go there and they still won without really playing well.

The concern for me with Redknapp is he's got this huge coaching staff with him yet all he ever wants to get himself out of trouble is more players and he's already started making those sort of noises and it's the last thing QPR need.

I imagine he's not being sacked as the club can't be bothered to pay him off and they've missed the Pulis option with him going to WBA so realistically if they sack him who is out there that they could get?

I think he'll be gone in the summer regardless what happens

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
QPR manager Harry Redknapp has confirmed he was offered Alexandre Pato, but says he will not move for the Brazilian forward.

The former Milan striker is currently on loan from Corinthians at Sao Paulo but has reportedly been offered to QPR, who are 19th in the Premier League and keen to add a goalscorer while the transfer window is open.

But Redknapp told Sky Sports News HQ on Friday morning: “I got offered him, someone rang yesterday, and today it’s in the newspapers.

“He is obviously a good player and I am not being disrespectful to him but no, he is not the type of player we are looking for.

“I am sure he is a good player but he would not be for us. It is difficult when you are looking around the market at this time of year, it is not easy to find players.

“We are trying, we are looking round, but I could not say we are close to making any signings at the moment.”

Redknapp was also asked about the future of QPR’s mercurial forward Adel Taarabt, who has been a peripheral figure for much of the season but has featured in their last two Premier League fixtures.

The 25-year-old spent time on loan at Milan last season and Sky sources are reporting Torino have made an approach to sign the player on a permanent deal.

But Redknapp said: “We have not heard anything and he is ill again, unfortunately, this week. He has been laid low quite a bit this year but hopefully he will be back in training next week.

“I have not heard anything, no one has contacted the club about Adel.”

Redknapp was speaking from Bournemouth, where has been taking a look at a football training simulator.

“It is a fantastic piece of kit,” he said. “They invited me along to look at it and it is interesting.

“It is great for technique, good for fitness, and you can use it whenever you want. It is a good piece of equipment, there is no doubt about that.”

FFS Redknapp this is your bread and butter sort of signing would've been a laugh to see Pato in the PL hard to think that 5 years ago this kid was being talked about in the £40-50m bracket as one of the worlds top strikers. Milan not selling him when they had the chance turned out to be a huge mistake.

They clearly need someone who can play the Zamora role and hold the ball up for them as he can only play about 60 minutes in matches before his body is f*cked.

As for Taarabt they've clearly given him some minutes in recent weeks to try and get someone to take him as he doesn't want to be there and because he's on a lot of money and the reputation he has no club will touch him. That being ill line is clearly a PR excuse for Adel hasn't turned up to training this week!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Harry Redknapp has resigned as QPR manager, saying imminent knee surgery would stop him doing his job.

The 67-year-old has left the Loftus Road club second bottom of the Premier League with 19 points from 23 games.

"Sadly I need immediate surgery on my knee," Redknapp said. "If I can't give 100% I feel it's better for someone else to take over the reins."

Head of football operations Les Ferdinand and academy coach Chris Ramsey will take temporary charge.

Redknapp took over as QPR manager in November 2012.

"I have had such a fantastic time at QPR. I would like to thank the board, the players and all my staff, and especially the supporters who have been absolutely fantastic to me since I arrived at the club for their tremendous support," he said.

"My relationship with chairman Tony Fernandes has been one of the highlights of my footballing career and I wish the club every success.

"I am confident they will survive in the Premier League this year."

You could translate that to the chairman hasn't signed the players I wanted so I've jumped to save face on another relegation

Leaves QPR in a right mess though as the new manager can't now sign players surely the news about the knee op didn't arrive the day after the window closing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah seems exactly like he's just jumped.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Glenn Hoddle has also gone apparently.

Tim Sherwood heavy favourite to take over

Apparently his knee issue has deteriorated a lot in last few months but why wait until now to leave?

A fresh face might give them the the lift they need though

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:35 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I still think you're right, didn't get what he wanted in the window, knew he was screwed, jumped.

Only other thing I can think is the owners knew they were screwed regardless of how well they did in the window so asked him to wait until after the window to resign, then they could bring someone and say they didn't have chance to let the new guy bring in players, new start next season etc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sky sources report that Glenn Hoddle and Joe Jordan have left the QPR coaching staff following the resignation of Harry Redknapp.

The veteran boss announced on Tuesday that he had decided to stand down because he needs to have knee replacement surgery.

Head of football operations Les Ferdinand and Academy boss Chris Ramsey have therefore taken charge of the team on a temporary basis.

And former England boss Hoddle, plus Jordan, who has coached regularly under Redknapp, have now departed Loftus Road as well.

Hoddle joined QPR as a first-team coach in January and is quoted in the betting market as a candidate to become their next permanent boss but he told Zapsportz.com that he had left the club.

Hoddle said: “I am a bit shocked and surprised, to tell you the truth.

“We all know football is a results-orientated business but I always felt that, given a few more games, Harry could have turned it around down there at the bottom.

“It would have only taken a couple of good results to have achieved that, as it is very tight down there.

“But that’s football for you. I have enjoyed coming back into coaching and I thanked Harry for giving me that opportunity to tip my toe back into the coaching arena.

“I have enjoyed every minute. I wished him all the best and I do sincerely hope QPR can stay up.

“I would love the players to turn it around as I have enjoyed working with them, and hope I have improved them.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
QPR caretaker manager Chris Ramsey says he would be delighted if he was offered the job on a full-time basis.

The club have made contact with Tim Sherwood as they look to replace Harry Redknapp, who resigned last week, and have placed Ramsey in temporary charge.

"If you got offered the chance to coach a Premier League team you would jump at the chance," said Ramsey.

"But, more importantly for me, is that QPR avoid relegation regardless of whether I am here or anybody else."

QPR lost 1-0 to Southampton in Ramsey's first game in caretaker charge and his second game will be at Sunderland on Tuesday.

Asked if he thought Sherwood would be appointed, Ramsey said: "I know that director of football Les Ferdinand, chairman Tony Fernandes and the owners will go through a process of elimination with other candidates.

"I'm sure the fans would want to see a transparent procedure that allows us to bring the best person in."

Ramsey on Rio

QPR centre-back Rio Ferdinand has not played since a 3-0 FA Cup defeat at home to Sheffield United on 3 January but is set to start at Sunderland on Tuesday.

Bobby Zamora is also likely to figure at the Stadium of Light as fellow striker Charie Austin is out injured. Centre-back Richard Dunne and full-back Nedum Onuoha are also both out.

"Rio was always in my plans for Tuesday's game. We spoke about it last week and he understands," said Ramsey.

"I said it last week, anyone who is fit and available and showing the right attitude and desire in training will be in contention.

"Rio's trained hard and applies himself superbly. He'll start at Sunderland, as will Bobby."

On QPR's away struggles

QPR have lost all 11 away games so far in the Premier League this season.

"I think there's a little bit of psychology when we're away, but the players are determined to turn the away form around," added Ramsey.

You would imagine that they'll want a manager in place by the weekend but if Ramsey can do something to impress them why not give him a chance Sherwood doesn't have a track record of getting a club fighting relegation out of trouble. He had a decent run of results with a decent Spurs team and to his credit he gave young players like Bentaleb & Kane a chance rather than just playing expensive foreign players.

The best thing QPR have now is someone like Les Ferdinand in a position of power as he gets the club, he has the support of fans and if he can pick the right men to run the team it might help unite the club a bit as they seem a bit all over the place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tim Sherwood will not be taking up the vacant position at Queens Park Rangers after talks with the club’s hierarchy broke down, with the chairman Tony Fernandes instead indicating he is close to appointing his “dream manager” to the role.

The former Tottenham Hotspur manager had been the overwhelming favourite to take up the reins at Loftus Road, where his former coach Chris Ramsey is in temporary charge and his assistant last term, Les Ferdinand, was recently appointed director of football.

Indeed, the initial three-man short-list drawn up by the board had been topped by Sherwood with the other contenders, Derby County’s Steve McClaren and the Real Madrid assistant manager Paul Clement, having since indicated they would not be in contention mid-season.

Yet, while that had appeared to pave the way for Sherwood’s return to top-flight management having departed White Hart Lane last summer, negotiations have actually proved complicated. The 46-year-old had sought assurances over the board’s future plans, particularly if QPR were relegated back to the Championship after a solitary campaign back in the elite. There remains the potential for the Football League to impose a considerable fine, potentially in excess of £50m, for breaches of financial fair play regulations held over from their promotion season.

The club are braced for a major overhaul of their first-team squad at the end of the season, when a number of senior players will be out of contract and their loanees will depart Loftus Road. Rebuilding in the wake of a fine – or, indeed, a transfer embargo – would be an onerous task. There were apparently issues, too, over personal terms with the relegation-threatened club having offered an incentive-based contract incorporating bonuses dependent upon the team’s progress. Sherwood is understood to have been seeking a more conventional deal in line with those offered to other top-flight managers, plus a bonus for staving off relegation, and guarantees over transfer budgets.

That has left Fernandes looking elsewhere for a replacement for Harry Redknapp, who resigned last week citing medical reasons. The chairman took to Twitter on Tuesday evening and posted a bullish message suggesting he was close to securing his first-choice, despite the lengthy and fruitless talks aimed at securing Sherwood.

“Think I have got my dream manager,” he wrote. “Not what anyone thinks. Take a while. Still a bit to go but I’m very happy. Press all wrong.” The former Swansea manager, Brian Laudrup, has emerged as a leading contender though removing him from his contract at the Qatari club, Lekhwiya, may prove problematic.

Whether he would fit the remit also remains to be seen. The club’s key major shareholders – Fernandes, Ruben Emir Gnanalingam and Kamarudin Meranun – had hoped to instigate some much needed long-termism into QPR’s strategy, developing the academy and eventually bringing young players through into the senior set-up, and aspired to appoint a young head coach who would share that vision.

To that end, Clement might remain an option for the summer, with Ramsey and Kevin Bond – who were in charge of Tuesday’s game at Sunderland – overseeing the team until then, though the indications on Tuesday night was that his position had not changed.

The Real assistant is intent upon managing in the Premier League at some stage in the future, and boasts an attachment to QPR for whom his father, Dave, played 472 league games, but has made clear his immediate commitment remains at the Bernabeu where he is contracted for another 16 months alongside the manager, Carlo Ancelotti.

The inability to secure Sherwood – who would also have represented a long-term option – still represents a surprise not least given Ferdinand, in his new role, is apparently exerting a considerable influence on the appointment process. The club had hoped to have the new man in charge by the time Hull City visit Loftus Road on 21 February, though there remains the prospect now that it could take longer to secure their replacement for Redknapp.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:50 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Fergie to make a comeback at QPR?

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Michael Laudrup is now the bookies favourite

Why not give Ramsey a chance he's an experienced coach and he's broken the away game losing streak in only his 2nd match.

A new manager might give them a bit of a bounce but the problem for them is the players they have just aren't good enough they're a squad of has beens and in the case of some players never weres.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:01 pm 
Major General
Major General

One of QPR fans on twitter wants Klopp :laugh: :laugh:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next