AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wigan Is A Sh!thole
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Yeah I wouldn't particularly want someone p!ssing on me either.

Spitting is an offensive action and i'd imagine people have received serious beatings for spitting at others.

I'd certainly rather someone stand on my shoes than spit on me.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
idontfeardeath wrote:
Yeah I wouldn't particularly want someone p!ssing on me either.

Spitting is an offensive action and i'd imagine people have received serious beatings for spitting at others.

I'd certainly rather someone stand on my shoes than spit on me.

it's all about culture.... don't you watch those HSBC ads???

Britons and particularly the English are hypersensitive to spitting, relative to the rest of the planet, a mindset drilled into them, dating back to the Black Death and the association/risks/significance of spitting

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, simply that some peoples don't have an epileptic fit at the sight of phlegm

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Resurrection Joe wrote:

Whilst this may be true. If someone spits in your face I don't care what country you're in it's surely more offensive than someone standing on your shoes by accident.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

RJ is right there's loads of cultural differences in football.

In South America for example conning the referee is seen a skill rather than cheating as a big part of their philosophy in football is to make a fool of your opponent. That is why they have a long heritage of producing very skillful players.

I find spitting disgusting but would I rather someone spat in my face or punched me in the face and broke my nose honestly I'd probably take the spit at least that way I could get out my strap and blast that fool. :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has been assured his job is safe even if Latics suffer relegation from the Premier League this season.

Chairman Dave Whelan insists he will not part company with his man in the dugout and believes the club's supporters will continue to back the Spaniard.

Wigan are currently propping up the pile after winning just two of their 14 encounters in the top flight so far this season.

Despite their troubles this term, which follow on from last season's dogfight when survival was only secured on the final day of the season, Whelan has vowed to stand by Martinez.

"Sacking him isn't even a consideration. Roberto is a fantastic, honest manager who knows our strengths and weaknesses," he told The Independent.

"There will be no way I will sack him. And if we did get relegated to the Championship I have every faith in him to get us promoted again."

"It is a partnership at a football club, everyone has to realise that."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sky Sports understands Wigan are in talks with Birmingham over a possible move for Jean Beausejour.Wigan are believed to have agreed a fee with Birmingham for the Chile international and they are now set to hold talks with the player.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan frontman Hugo Rodallega has confirmed he will not extend his contract at the DW Stadium beyond the end of the season.

The Colombia striker is in the final few months of his deal and has struggled to hold down a starting spot this term.It was Rodallega's winner at Stoke which kept the Latics in the Premier League back in May, but the 26-year-old is already in talks with a number of unidentified clubs.

"My contract at Wigan runs out at the end of May...and I can already say these are my last three months with Wigan," he told Caracol Radio.

Rodallega would name his suitors "out of respect for Wigan" but has been free to sign a pre-contract agreement with foreign clubs since 1 January.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan have sealed the signing of Chile midfielder Jean Beausejour from Birmingham on a deal which will keep him at the DW Stadium until 2014.

The 27-year-old has joined for an undisclosed fee, agreeing a two-and-a-half-year contract with the relegation-threatened Premier League club.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez told his club's website: "Jean is a player we have been tracking for a long time since he made a huge impression on us with his role for Chile in the World Cup."

Beausejour joined Birmingham in the summer of 2010 from Mexican side Club America.

He played 56 times for Blues, including last year's Carling Cup final victory over Arsenal and the subsequent Europa League campaign, in which he scored against Club Brugge .

Martinez added: "Now Jean has 18 months of experience in the British game and his dynamism, technical ability and tactical concepts will bring a different dimension into our squad.

"He is ready to bring his own experience and his energy into the fantastic challenge that as a football club we're facing in the next 16 games of the season."

Beausejour, who has made 43 appearances for Chile and scored against Honduras in the 2010 World Cup, was impressed by his new manager's ambition.

"Roberto told me about the plans he has for the club and I am really excited to join and meet my team-mates," he said.

"We have a really tough end of the season, but I am really looking forward to the challenge ahead.

"I want to thank all the supporters at Birmingham and now I have to concentrate on getting in the team and doing my best for Wigan Athletic."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Resurrection Joe wrote:
....the Brits got a thing about spitting, have done for 345 years

Ah ok. Because although spitting is fighting terms where I come from,so is stepping on clean shoes in a dancehall or telling someone about their mum etc!

Fighting is right, as a 99% pacifist (if such a thing exists lol) I find that spitting is the one thing that makes me react violently, I've grabbed someone by the throat before my brain has even caught up and finally got around to thinking 'ewwww'.

I do agree it's not in the same league as racism though, which is a far more personal attack imo.

They'll kill you for casting a shadow on them while they are eating their food in Arabia. Expectations can be very different depending on where you are. Like in London.... £8 for a pint!!? :ohmy: The barbarians.....

Resurrection Joe wrote:

Britons and particularly the English are hypersensitive to spitting, relative to the rest of the planet, a mindset drilled into them, dating back to the Black Death and the association/risks/significance of spitting

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, simply that some peoples don't have an epileptic fit at the sight of phlegm

:lol:

That explains a lot, I didn't know about the black death connection but it doesn't half get me instantly angry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Interesting line in The Daily Mail, who report that Fulham have offered Andy Johnson, plus £2million in cold, hard cash for Hugo Rodallega.

Both men's contracts run out in the summer, so this sounds like a decent deal for Wigan. Indeed, apparently the club is agreeable, but the player might need convincing.

The Mail reports: 'Wigan would prefer a player plus cash but Johnson, 30, is unsure about joining Wigan's relegation battle.'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan have announced a net loss of £7.2m for the year to May 2011 - £4m greater than the deficit in the previous 12 months.

Wages were the largest expenditure - up £500,000 to £39.9m, accounting for 78% of the club's £50.5m turnover.

However turnover itself had increased by 16%, with net debt almost unchanged at £72.2m.

Chief executive Jonathan Jackson said the club was moving towards break even, adding: "The results are encouraging."

Despite the net loss, Wigan made a profit of £4.9m in earnings before interest, tax and other associated costs were taken into account. That is the first time in five years the club has been in the black in this measure.

Quote:

The club is continuing to progress to an annual break-even position

Wigan chief executive Jonathan Jackson

Transfer spending fell by £300,000 to £14.6m for the Latics, who retained their Premier League status on the final day of last season .

Player sales fell from £13.3m to £2.3m, but more than half of the club's net debt has been converted to equity and effectively written off what was owed to chairman Dave Whelan.

Wigan are now in their seventh season in the Premier League and Jackson is satisfied with the club's figures.

Jackson claims the DW Stadium club is moving towards a situation where they can manage without Whelan's backing.

He added: "By increasing turnover and controlling costs at the same levels as the previous year, the club is continuing to progress to an annual break-even position.

"We continue to strive to maintain our position in the Premier League by significant investment in the playing squad while, at the same time, employing prudent financial management to ensure the club's long-term stability.

"This position would not have been possible without the continued financial support of chairman David Whelan.

"The club cannot continue to make losses every year and we are continuing to shape all aspects of the club to ensure the long-term future remains positive both on and off the pitch."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has received an apology from referees' chief Mike Riley following his side's controversial defeat at Chelsea on Saturday.

The Football Association have also confirmed the Spaniard will not face disciplinary action over post-match comments in which he claimed Wigan were "robbed" and the performance of an assistant referee was "disgusting".

Relegation-threatened Wigan were beaten 2-1 in a stormy Barclays Premier League clash at Stamford Bridge after Branislav Ivanovic and Juan Mata struck from apparently offside positions.

Martinez spoke to Riley, of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, the day after the game and says he was told the body accepted mistakes were made.

Martinez said: "He just said he understands that at the level of refereeing in this league, they should get that call right.

"I think that is a very honourable way to face mistakes.

"We are all capable of making mistakes and it is about how you react to them."

Martinez was strong in his criticism of the officials, particularly assistant Dave Bryan, after the game but, after speaking to Riley, had not been expecting FA action over his remarks.

He said: "I think they praised me because they were quite surprised I held myself back and I was so respectful."

Bryan was subsequently stood down from tonight's game between Blackburn and Liverpool.

Martinez said: "I think we all know mistakes happen, I am the first one to accept that.

"The problem is when you get two calls in two similar situations, and one of them is so clear, knowing the experience of the linesman - it is really tough to take.

"We are not looking to get people punished - anything retrospective to the event - but unfortunately we were stopped from getting the reward we deserved.

"It is a difficult place to go for a positive result. We need to accept on this occasion we weren't lucky enough to get the result. There were calls you expect to get right at our level."

Wigan, who remain in the bottom three, feel they have been on the wrong end of too many injustices this season.

Blackburn were awarded a goal against them in a 3-3 draw from a corner that was incorrectly taken in November and striker Connor Sammon was wrongly sent off in December's 5-0 loss to Manchester United. The Latics successfully appealed against the Sammon dismissal.

Martinez said: "We have had that sense of injustice too many times this season.

"But you need to look deeper than the results.

"Psychologically a result at Stamford Bridge would have been fantastic but we can still see through it and look at the performance.

"I don't want it to come across that we are blaming the referee for our position - not at all.

"It was just hurtful to be on the back of two decisions at such a crucial time.

"I think it is more important for us to concentrate on the performance.

"If we carry on playing like that in the next six games, I am sure those points and moments of bad luck will turn around and go in our favour."

Wigan face a daunting task as they return to action against Manchester United, the champions and league leaders, at home tomorrow.

The Latics have a poor record against Sir Alex Ferguson's men, having lost all 14 games they have played against them.

Martinez has been on the end of five of those defeats, his side conceding 21 goals in the process.

Martinez said: "The performances we have had at Anfield and Stamford Bridge this season have got rid of that block.

"Against Manchester United you have to be perfect and we know now we can be perfect against these sides. Mentally we are ready for that.

"We have been able to play at a very good standard in the last nine games and that is what pleases me most.

"That shows the group is ready to compete against anyone.

"We are now facing the champions and the team most in form in the league.

"It is a great football occasion for us, that is why we want to be in this league."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

:toot: :dance: :woowoo: :easy:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Well done indeed.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They do it every year and it's no fluke would be interesting to see how they'd do if they kept these players together for next season could they get off to a better start.

Can see clubs coming in for the likes of McCarthy & Moses over the summer not necessarily top sides but the mid table clubs like WBA or Sunderland might look to take some of those lads.

McCarthy has really impressed me every time I've seen him very neat and tidy on the ball if he was English he'd be getting a lot of hype imo.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Shaun Maloney stood out to me when I saw them play, seems a tidy little player.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez says he is planning for next season at the club despite speculation of a move away.

Martinez, who rejected Aston Villa last summer, has been linked with Liverpool after securing an eighth Premier League season for Wigan.

"There is another manager in that job, no," said the Spaniard.

"I'm not going to lie to you, I like the speculation. But we need to make sure we carry on with the progress we've been making."

Reports on Sunday  suggested Liverpool's owners are considering Martinez.

"When you get stories linking clubs with your players or in this case with a manager, it must be because you have done something right," added Martinez, 38.

"I see it as a real compliment. Speculation will follow a team - you get good speculation and bad speculation.

"The speculation I don't like is when it suggests you are going to lose your job after a couple of defeats.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

09.48: Aston Villa and QPR are sniffing round Victor Moses, according to Setanta Sports.

New Villa boss Paul Lambert has targeted the winger as his first signing and may be able to get him on the cheap with Moses' contract expiring next summer.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

12.02: He's refused to sign a new contract but Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says that Victor Moses is going nowhere this summer.

"Victor Moses will be staying with us and I don't think there is any doubt about that," Whelan told Goal.com. "He is not where he should be yet. He is still improving and he is still a young lad. He respects Roberto [Martinez] enormously and I am sure that he will stay and that he will want to work with Roberto. So Victor will not be going anywhere."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

According to reports, Wigan are lining up an offer for River Plate striker Fernando Cavenaghi.

Despite having their fingers burnt in a £5million deal for Mauro Boselli two years ago, the Latics are returning to Argentina in a bid to recruit more firepower.

The Daily Mail claim that Cavenaghi is available on a free transfer after his one-year deal at River expired and with 90 goals in 155 appearances for the Buenos Aires club, he could be the answer to Wigan's attacking problems.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next