AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: The Championship: Race For The Prem
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unfortunately when you have little money and you've put a lot on promotion.. It's hard not to see the financial reward of promotion. Not just player salaries and bonuses.. We're talking ensuring our long term existence.

So far it seems confirmed that Bamford won't be back (another thing I think promotion ensured), and Whitehead is gone. Woodgate most likely retiring.. The fans have a keep Jelle Vossen campaign started. Would love to keep him.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Unfortunately when you have little money and you've put a lot on promotion.. It's hard not to see the financial reward of promotion. Not just player salaries and bonuses.. We're talking ensuring our long term existence.

So far it seems confirmed that Bamford won't be back (another thing I think promotion ensured), and Whitehead is gone. Woodgate most likely retiring.. The fans have a keep Jelle Vossen campaign started. Would love to keep him.

Do you think you'll keep Karanka or do you think he's done enough to attract the attention of Prem clubs? Probably a bit lucky that there are only 3 jobs up for grabs this summer in the prem and I'm not sure West Ham/Sunderland/Newcastle would go for him the rest of the positions are pretty much locked in.

He's got good contacts he might be able to get someone like Solanki from Chelsea next season as he's the next striker off their production line. Bamford is a strange one as I feel like I'm a curse on him seen him play 3 times for Derby/Boro and every time he's been cr*p.

Derby used playoff heartbreak as a catalyst for this season and up until the run in they looked like the best side in the league Boro might be able to use that momentum to go again next season. I don't think QPR are much to worry about but I think Burnley/Hull will be in the running to go straight back up if they keep faith with the managers who got them up.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I can't see anyone but the 3 relegated clubs getting up next season.

Burnley will lose Ings but keep everyone else.
QPR will lose many players but keep the many players who are more than good enough for championship.
Hull for me are the most in danger club. Possibly the only club who won't make it back up in my opinion. Keeping Bruce is a big thing for them. He is used to the championship and knows how to get out of it. Recently signed a 4 year deal.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hopeful we'll keep Karanka yeah. Bamford is good, but he's not ready for Chelsea by a long way. I suspect he'll go on loan to a mid to lower table prem club. Smart player though, cool finisher. Think he'll do well eventually. Still young.

We need to build.. Next season has to be it, we won't keep him longer than that if we do manage to keep him at all. Hopefully we can keep the likes of Friend, Leads, Ayala etc.. I think we're probably a better midfielder and a good championship striker away from automatic promotion. I think QPR will fall apart.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I can't see anyone but the 3 relegated clubs getting up next season.

Burnley will lose Ings but keep everyone else.
QPR will lose many players but keep the many players who are more than good enough for championship.
Hull for me are the most in danger club. Possibly the only club who won't make it back up in my opinion. Keeping Bruce is a big thing for them. He is used to the championship and knows how to get out of it. Recently signed a 4 year deal.

I think QPR will do well to avoid going down 1 more division the guys who got them up last time like Green, Dunne, Austin & Zamora will all be gone.
Burnley have also lost Ashley Barnes for the season with a cruciate injury I think they'll push for playoffs.
Hull will depend on what they keep as I don't think any of their players will be getting signed by PL sides and the core of their promotion side is still there

Predicting this league is pointless though anything could happen next season

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Championship clubs Fulham, Nottingham Forest and Bolton have all been placed under a transfer embargo for the rest of the season after breaking Financial Fair Play rules during the 2014-15 campaign, the Football League has announced.

Fulham and Nottingham Forest were sanctioned after exceeding an adjusted loss of £6m – the maximum rules allow – while Bolton were punished after being unable to submit their FFP return owing to their current off-field situation, which has seen them served with a winding-up petition by HMRC over an unpaid tax bill. The punishment means that all three clubs will be unable to sign players in next month’s transfer window.

Last season’s Championship winners, Bournemouth, also posted losses of more than £6m and will face a fine, the amount of which is yet to be revealed. Millwall, who were relegated to League One last term, also went over the maximum deviation of losses, but will not be punished.

A Football League statement read: “An initial analysis of Financial Fair Play submissions from clubs that played in the Sky Bet Championship last season has resulted in three clubs being subject to sanctions, under rules agreed with league clubs in April 2012.

“All three exceeded the maximum permitted deviation of £6m – consisting of a maximum adjusted loss of £3m plus a further maximum of £3m of shareholder investment.

“Champions AFC Bournemouth will face a financial sanction to be finalised in due course, while Fulham and Nottingham Forest will be subject to an ‘FFP Embargo’ for the remainder of the current campaign. Both clubs will have the opportunity to have their FFP embargo lifted at the end of the season by demonstrating that they have stayed within the maximum permitted deviation of £13m (£5m loss plus £8m shareholder investment) for the 2015/16 season.

“A further club, Millwall, also exceeded the maximum permitted deviation but will not face any further sanction, in line with Championship FFP regulations, following the club’s relegation to League One as it was not deemed to have gained any significant advantage.

“The Football League is currently in discussions with a number of other clubs over their FFP submissions and will confirm any further FFP embargoes, if any, in due course.

“Bolton Wanderers did not submit an FFP return owing to the club’s ongoing financial difficulties. As a result, the club will not be permitted to sign any players until it has complied with its obligations under the Championship’s FFP regulations.”

A statement on Bournemouth’s website read: “AFC Bournemouth is fully aware of the Football League’s proposed financial sanction relating to Financial Fair Play and is currently engaged in positive dialogue with the Football League to reach a satisfactory outcome.

“The club will update supporters when an outcome has been reached and will not be making any further comment at this moment in time.”

Fulham also released a statement, outlining some mitigating circumstances behind their rule-breaking.

It said: “The embargo arises as the club made an adjusted loss greater than the £6m limit allowed by the Football League in the year following relegation. The Football League has since recognised this limit is low, especially for clubs recently relegated with Premier League overheads in place, and the limit has now increased to £13m per annum.

“Unfortunately Fulham’s embargo falls in the final year of the previous limit, but the club does not anticipate being in breach in future years.’’

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
This Friday sees the start of another Championship season, and while its bigger, richer and more vulgar relation, the Premier League, will remain the focus of most attention when it begins, many will be rubbing their hands in glee at the start of the league that many of us crazies still insist on calling Division Two on the grounds that it is the second division.

The Premier League soap opera, with its sometimes-unpalatable mix of high talent and big money, playing in front of a blend of hardcore supporters and fair-weather fans, all breathing in the stench of corporate venality, sometimes seems more like going to a sponsored football-themed fairground attraction than just watching a game of football. It’s not hard to see its qualities, and it is entertaining, but oranges are not the only fruit.

Drop down a division, take a cut in the general quality of individual skill, but an increase in competitive excitement and soul, and there is much honest fun to be had. And that’s why it’s the fourth best supported league in Europe. Last season it attracted 9,703,004 fans at an average of 17,578 per game. This was up 2.8% on the previous season. A lot of people bloody love the Championship. Given the quality of the football is sometimes judged as worse than the Premier League, why do so many people watch it? And what are all the Premier League addicts missing out on?

Variety. There are 24 clubs and they vary from the big, such as Newcastle United and Aston Villa, to small old school community clubs like Burton Albion and Barnsley. Then there’s the once glorious old warhorses like Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. Some have money, some don’t, but regardless, it’s impossible to be sure who will do well and who won’t. As an away fan, you get a lot of different experiences going to big old stadiums like Hillsborough, small modern stadiums and creaking little grounds. It’s a dinner with far more spices than the Premier League.

Unpredictability. While last season proved the Premier League could, at least once, throw up a surprise, the Championship does that every season. Predicting who will go up is next to impossible. The only thing harder is to know who is going to be relegated. Big clubs can get relegated, small clubs promoted. Out of the best 10 supported clubs last season, only one, Middlesbrough, went up. The league doesn’t seem to kow-tow to money or reputation or size of support and that makes it exciting.

Derbies. The league is stuffed with them, be they South or West Yorkshire, West midlands, East midlands, west London or East Anglia. No week goes by without at least one big local grudge match which both sets of fans really care about. There’s less of ‘come on, entertain us then’ in the Championship, and the proliferation of local derbies is one reason why.

Money. It’s easier to feel more connected to the players and to the game they play when you’re watching Rotherham or Barnsley or Burton Albion players because you know that they’re not earning £30 every minute of every day. And also, as the monied teams quite often don’t succeed, it feels more democratic and more just. Not perfect, no, but often much better. Plus you can get to see pampered ex-Premier League players getting kicked up into the air at places they couldn’t previously have found on a map. There’s some satisfaction in that.

Aggression. The rules of football are the same for every division, or are supposed to be, but we all know they’re not. For some reason, you can be a lot more aggressive in the Championship. Getting stuck in is tolerated. Tackling hasn’t been redefined as a human rights abuse. The football is often much more stew than stir-fry, it is treacle sponge and pink custard to the Premier League’s dragon fruit sorbet. And a lot of people love it for that.

Cost. By and large it’s significantly cheaper to go and see a Championship game than in the Premier League. There are exceptions (Brighton’s priciest season ticket last season was £5.00 more than Newcastle United) and tickets are in general still far too expensive, but there are plenty of clubs whose cheapest ticket last season was under £20. The most expensive ticket was £52 at Sheffield Wednesday; in the top flight it was £97 at Arsenal.

Managers. We’re all sick of the Pep Guardiola/Jose Mourinho roadshow already, so imagine how weary we’ll be of it by December? And can you really bear to watch another Arsene Wenger interview? We could probably write everything he’s going say over the next nine months, right now. While there’s always fun to be had, the managers are over-exposed and do get dull and repetitive. But drop down a division and you find some really interesting characters in charge. How brilliant it’ll be to see Rafa Benitez, shirt coming untucked, in the dugout at Millmoor, or having to explain a defeat to Wigan. But it doesn’t stop there. There are plenty of other slightly odd characters such as Mick McCarthy, Nigel Clough, Barclays Premier League’s Owen Coyle, Chris Hughton, Nigel Pearson, Jaap Stam (yes that one, now at Reading) Neil Warnock and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. It guarantees some touchline antics and hopefully a few swear words directed at unappreciative fans. And that’s before we get to Leeds whom, as I write, have appointed Gary Monk, but by the time Saturday rolls around, may well have replaced him with Miami Steve Van Zandt, the corpse of Lenny Bruce, or a tin of pilchards in tomato sauce. Leeds United are the gift that keeps on giving – a bigger soap opera than Pavarotti in a Persil factory.

Lack of self-regard. The Premier League loves itself like a pedigree cat. It sits there licking its own fur and feeling very pleased indeed, and it uses a litter tray of shredded cash for its toilet. It knows the eyes of the world are on it and it likes it that way. But there’s only so much of that sort of overbearing vanity we can stand. By contrast, the Championship is an endearing mutt with one floppy ear and a cheeky look in its eye, trotting past you on its way to get up to no good down at the allotments.

Real Football. It’s hard to take the Premier League seriously. It can be great fun, of course, in the same way the Beano can, but there’s something very superficial about it. Something at its core that is…I dunno…something phoney, something ill at ease, almost childish and unbelievable about it. There comes a time when you need something more nourishing, something which is connected to real life, to real values and disconnected from appalling greed and the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Welcome to tier two.

The Championship is much more about soul over gold, much more about community over corporate, much more dirty rock ‘n’ roll over slickly overproduced R & B.

John Nicholson

Still think if you want the real thing you need to drop right down to the non-league where it's just regular people who play the game still players earning £1m a year in the Championship but I agree with some of what he says

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:42 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Or nearly £3m a year if the Matt Richie rumours are true. :ohmy:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

In terms of top earner I reckon Shelvey must be on a lot of money at Newcastle heard rumours his contract was in excess of £100k a week with no relegation clause when he signed for them :ohmy:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:47 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
:ohmy: Makes me hope they don't get promoted :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9