AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bolton Wanderers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Freedman takes the job. Palace are now managerless.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:47 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Talk about bringing Steve Coppell back for a fifth time !

May as well practice cryogenics and keep him in a freezer until such time as he's needed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Really surprised Freedman jumped.. Palace legend..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I guess more money on offer at Bolton and better chance of getting promotion.

Not sure how things are these days but Palace have been close to the brink a few times in recent history but if anyone was going to stick with them you'd think it would be Dougie Freedman.

Is it fair that when a club sack a manager that they can approach someone already in work? I know Palace get compensation but chances are now they'll go and approach someone else's manager.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Thing is.. He'd got Palace much higher in the league than Bolton.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

True but you could possibly argue Bolton are underachieving which is why they sacker their manager?

They also have the parachute money which may have been offerred to strengthen in Jan?

As a young manager you'd think staying at a stable club that will give you time might have been better for him to really learn the job.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what he says when he's unveiled at Bolton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Aye, it just seems strange... Or maybe not strange, I just think it's sh*t. Played for palace for years, two spells.. Then they given him a crack at being manager, he does quite well season 1..doing really well season 2..Then jumps ship to a failing Bolton side. Owen Coyle did that too..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yep Bolton are in a strange situation they have to run at break even now so not sure what he will get to spend and you'd think he'd see the grass isn't always greener.

Thing is with management in 3 months time if Palace had a bad run they might sack him and he's on the scrap heap fighting to get another chance.

If Bolton have offered him a decent contract say 3 years on a better salary it would be hard to turn down as despite a decent career he's probably not set for life.

At Bolton they'll have bigger budgets, on paper stronger players & better facilities than Palace so it's a tough one for an aspiring manager you have to take the chance when you get it.

I agree about Coyle he should have stuck with Burnley and if he had who knows where they'd be now but in his first season they finished mid table & got to the FA Cup semi final. Last season he lost key players like Elmander then Cahill in January plus Holden/Lee were injured all season then the tragic circumstances around Muamba as well.

Championship football is ruthless though one minute you're in the playoffs the next your struggling to stay up and vica versa so the security of a long term contract might be what swayed it for him.

His parting gift will be that just before he left he got Zaha to sign a 5 year deal giving them a chance to get a good fee for him when he leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah that's all true.. And good luck to him really, I can't knock him if he's gone for more money or whatever, shame palace couldn't offer him similar I guess. I do hate Bolton though :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm indifferent to them not to sad to see them go from the prem they punched above their weight for a long time.

My dislike of them is mostly Kevin Davies related cant stand that bloke real nasty streak in him and the fact that I witnessed him play for England only made me dislike him more :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Ah, we had some bad blood between the fans. Probably because we were always in similar positions, then there was the cup final where Fat Sam was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bitter about the loss and couldnt seem to credit us. Kevin Davies obviously as well. and Gavin McCann..and Kevin Nolan..and Fat Sam.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There fans always thought of Utd as a rival but to be honest we had bigger fish to fry it was always a much bigger game for them than it was for us.

They've got Paul Robinson as well a full back so out of his depth in the prem it's unreal so makes up for it by putting in some needlessly hard tackles on talented wingers.

Had some great players in their time in the prem though Djorkaeff, Campo, Hierro, Okocha & Anelka.

Agree on Nolan he is the perfect Allardyce player he only works in that system and he's ridiculously effective at doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Oh yeah Robinson, good shout. Nothing but a thug.

They did have some good uns I know, Okocha was a favourite of mine to watch when I was younger.

Again similar to us when we were able to get the likes of Juninho, Emerson, Ravanelli, Merson, Karambeu (who was actually rubbish), Boksic, Viduka etc...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Was Emerson really any good?

Seem to remember him being very average but got a lot of credit for basically being Brazilian.

Boksic was a great shout when he could be bothered he was quality real class in front of goal.

Didn't you have Gazza for a while as well?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Emerson was brilliant, honestly. He was just an idiot as well. Some of the goals he scored were quality and he was great on the ball. Totally different to Juninho mind. Juninho was very much give him the ball and watch the magic...Emerson was more foot on the ball, cool as f*ck and could pick out a good pass from the middle of the pitch. Hell of a strike on him too.

I think he probably wasn't worth keeping though, given all the hassle of just buggering off to Brazil during the season.

We did have Gazza too yeah, though he was fairly past it by then, he did have the a few games where he was unbelievable..cos he was still Gazza..but he was never fit and looked dis-interested a lot of the time..cos he was still Gazza. I would've thought Robbo wasn't the best manager to get him off the booze either as he liked a drink with the players allegedly. I think he might've gone to Everton from us, where he was similar from what I remember.

Good times in retrospect :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wasn't Merson there at the same time as well?

Seem to remember a story about Gazza and Merson being bored in the team hotel after a game and taking a load of sleeping pills then seeing who could stay awake the longest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah Merson was class to be fair, certainly a massive part in what got us promoted. Though hated now due to the way he left.... Gazza was probably there for 3-4 months whilst Merson was there. I haven't heard that story before but no reason it wouldn't be true Haha...

Gazza was slightly resented too I think... I seem to remember him getting Craig Hignetts place on the bench for Coca Cola cup final which the fans really didn't like as he'd literally just signed and Hignett was a favourite. Hignett ended up leaving at the end of the season which most of us were gutted about. He was massive in getting us promoted too. Commentates for our games now on local radio son obviously liked the club.

But anyway... Bolton eh, f*ck em :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 am 
Major General
Major General

*quite likes Bolton, Davies aside* :ninja:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

*hovers over goldfish bowl button* :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 am 
Major General
Major General

Don't even think about it... punk :p

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next