AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bolton Wanderers
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Bolton captain Kevin Davies has signed a new one-year contract to keep him at the Reebok - but 12 players will leave the club this summer.

Davies' current deal expired this summer but he has agreed to stay on, with defender Sam Ricketts also agreeing a two-year extension as manager Owen Coyle prepares his side for their Championship campaign.

Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker has activated a release clause in his contract while a further 11 players have all been released after their deals ran out.

Gretar Steinsson, Paul Robinson, Sean Davis, Robbie Blake, Ricardo Gardner, Ivan Klasnic, Mark Connolly, Tope Obadeyi, Rhys Bennett, Dino Fazlic and Tom Eckersley are those who have left, while Tuncay Sanli, Dedryck Boyata and Ryo Miyaichi have all returned to their respective parent clubs after loans spells.

In a statement Bolton said discussions were continuing with goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, deposed as number one by Adam Bogdan, and Zat Knight over their contracts.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Bolton are planning a move for Keith Andrews after the Ireland international was released by West Brom.

I have to say, Andrews had a good Euro 2012

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I agree, and I always thought he was a bag of turf before!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I don't think he's amazing but you'd imagine he'd be able to get a club in the prem to take him he's a functional if unimpressive player but he was a regular at West Brom who were solid mid table and he played well at Euro 2012.

Be suprised if off the back of Euro 2012 he had to drop down a league to get a contract he wouldn't be the worst signing for someone like Villa as they're desperate for a few extra bodies with a bit of exprience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Coyle's been sacked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Suppose it's been coming, relegation and a poor start to the season... still feel a bit sorry for him, and I think he's a decent manager. Tried to get Bolton to play football, no wonder it went wrong :lol:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he was a bit unlucky last season lost his two best CM's to injury early doors then lost Cahill in January.

Not sure how good a manager he is Bolton certainly didn't improve in the two seasons he had there if anything they got worse but he wasn't given much money as the chairman tightened the purse strings.

Not convinced they played better football either they still relied massively on Kevin Davies up top and for some reason he didn't play Klasnic even though he regularly scored for them.

If he didn't make a good start his job was under threat and listening to a lot of fan reaction they weren't to sad to see him go.

Hope Bolton give a young manager from the lower leagues a chance and not just go for one of the usual suspects. It's a well run club with solid foundations give a young up and coming manager a chance to prove himself.

Will they get Phil Brown? He worked at the club before alongside Allardyce

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

I'd say Roy Keane has to be up there with a shout.

If they are crazy enough to employ the likes of Sammy Lee, Megson and Coyle, then I'd say Keane fits the bill. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Well there's plenty of managers out there looking for work you just have to look at the pundit panels

Keane
Strachan
McCarthy
Redknapp
Curbishley

Not sure where Bolton are heading without money to spend what they need is a good coach/tactician who can get the best out of what they already have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Major General
Major General

The question is whether any of those out of work managers are that good at the tactical / motivational side of the game, and also whether they're likely to be able to keep Bolton in the Premiership if they get there.

McCarthy has a great record in the Championship, but his teams come unstuck in the top flight and he ends up relegated or sacked. Keane would be a nightmare, the stories from when he was at Sunderland and Ipswich is one foot out of line and he's dishing out fines etc.

Arry likes to have a bit of money to throw about, and wouldn't have it at Bolton. Strachan... well is crap. So of those you list JSP I'd say Curbs is the best bet.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Curbs has been out of the game for a long time though there must be a reason he's not found work I know there was a court case over his severance pay from West Ham but for me they need to look younger. There will be managers in league 1 & 2 or even the Championship who've been doing good jobs who deserve a shot at a bigger club so why not try and promote a young British manager.

I guess the fear of back to back relegations will mean they go for a safer pair of hands and for a club like Bolton McCarthy probably has the best CV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 am 
Major General
Major General

I know he's been out for a while, he was linked with a couple of jobs, like Wolves last season. If he's been keeping up to date with the game though I don't see why he couldn't still do a job. His record at Charlton was terrific, with little money to spend. His problems there started when big name players with big egos started to arrive and he didn't know how to manage them. I would still say he's the best bet of the 5 you mentioned for the long term.

There are a lot of managers around who could do a job at Bolton, I think that Appleton is being linked, as is Keith Hill... also heard that Solskjaer is in the frame. So they may well look to bring in a younger manager and see what they can do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Curbishley did a great job at Charlton but it was a long time ago and his profile means he'll probably want a fairly decent wage and also a club who are going to spend to get back in the Premiership.

Charlton have been paying for what they did to him ever since really the he took them as far as they can go argument from fans is just a joke taking a club like Charlton to the top half of the Prem is pretty much a miracle and I thought he was unlucky to lose his job at West Ham. Out of all the people I listed I'd most like to see him back in work but a lot of clubs are changing the structure of the managers role now. The old style manager who controls everything like Fergie is becoming less and less popular so it depends what Bolton want.

Solskjaer is never going to take that job he'll stick it out with Molde until their season ends I think he's very cautious about what he does next in football. If he's turned down the Villa job that suggests to me he's not prepared to jump into a crisis club for the sake of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 am 
Major General
Major General

Miracle is about right :D Before Pardew took them tumbling down the divisions.

I agree that he's being cautious, Villa was a poisoned chalice because the fans there expect better than the club can realistically do without major investment which isn't forthcoming from the owner.

Maybe Bolton fans also expect a bit much, staying in the premiership without spending money is a massive struggle. Coyle was unlucky in some ways, but in other ways the club maybe didn't give him the backing they could've done. Might serve as a warning to any potential managers.

The thing with Solskjaer though is that as well as he might do with Molde, it's not going to get him a top job, so if he wants to manage in the big leagues he's going to have to take a risk at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:27 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

When you turn off the cash you just hit the reset button and it proves that the money has been badly spent same has happened at Blackburn & Pompey and will happen at Wigan.

Without the cash these clubs can't sustain Premier League football because they don't generate the income to pay the wages. They spent all the money on experienced first team players to make sure they stay in the division but with no academy players coming through or thoughts about developing players and selling them on the money eventually runs out.

Bolton for me are at best a yo yo club but they like a lot of ex premiership clubs need to get the football club running properly use the parachute money to stabilise and invest in the academy to bring through players rather than signing expensive foreign players.

Now Ole would be the perfect manager for this having worked in the Utd academy he knows how a top academy works but I personally think he'll wait for something a bit bigger.

I forgot Gareth Southgate & Paul Ince off my previous list of out of work managers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am 
Major General
Major General

Having good academies is great, but if you're not in the top flight you lose your best players to clubs that are. So it's a bit of a catch 22 situation. If you look at Crewe, they've got a good academy, and brought through Nick Powell... who is now at United and Crewe stand still while making money... it keeps them going, but doesn't move them forwards.

While they're an extreme example, City are a club to look at when it comes to how they've done things. They put the first team in order first, and then looked at getting the academy in place. Now obviously they have a much easier job of doing that with their resources, but that's what you need to do IMO to move a club forward.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Depends how you view football it's a form of entertainment you pay your £20 on a Saturday to go and watch Crewe and get to watch good games of football because the Crewe players are technically gifted and you get to see stars of the future. If it wasn't for the sale of these players what league would Crewe be in? If you only care about results then supporting Crewe probably isn't for you this is one thing I struggle with when it comes to the modern game and it's something that I'm glad is slowly changing.

Clubs and fans who think staying in the Premiership is the be all and end all of football well it's not teams used to come up and stink up every match by playing the allardyce & pulis way and most of the times they went back down. Now teams are coming up and having a go and if they go back down well so be it at least there was some entertainment to the games which is surely why we go and watch football it's meant to be an escape from reality. Just look at Blackpool they came up playing open and attacking football, went down playing that way, didn't make it back first time but they're in with a shot this season.

Nothing gets fans excited more than seeing the local lad come good and make it into the first team and do well for me it's what football is actually about now in a few years the boy might go on to a bigger club but that's reality the important thing is the club has another generation coming in to fill the gap. This is much more satisfying/sustainable than selling the £20m striker and replacing him with another £20m striker.

Football has changed and unless you get a billionaire owner who wants to pump cash in then you don't stand a chance of moving up and winning the league. For me if you can get the academy structure right then you can use it to good effect by getting the benefit of having players in your team in the first place then selling them on allowing you to strengthen the first team squad while bringing through the next generation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Love You Long Time

May 15: Phil Gartside tells SHOUTsport AGR that Owen Coyle is in this for the long haul. "Owen is going to be our manager for a long time to come and he is going to be successful," Gartside said. "I've known Owen for the best part of 15 years. I know what his qualities are and I've worked with him closely now for two and a half years and I know what his qualities are in the job that he does for the club."

October 9: Four months and ten games later, Gartside sacks him. "It is the right time for a change," said Gartside.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

4 months is a long time in football, there are clubs that can get through 2 managers in that time :lol:

JSP - owners don't care about entertainment, it's a way of making money for them, so they only want success. Fans care about the entertainment, but at a lot of clubs if you play nice football but get relegated then you're done, if you play the big Sam way and stay up then you're safe.

Now there has been a shift towards clubs getting up from the Championship and playing football, and that's a plus, but there are still teams that wont / can't play that way. Pulis tried to bring in players who could get Stoke playing, it didn't work, so that stuck to bullying teams. West Ham have Cole and Carroll as their first choice strikers, both limited players who are good at the physical stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

To say Owners care about money is nonsence imo how many football clubs actually turn a profit for the owner other than Arsenal?

Every penny that comes in goes straight back out most owners want the prestige of getting their club to the promised land and they'll risk everything to get them there and Bolton did that accumulating a lot of debt to do it and sustain it because they didn't bring their own players through and invest in youth they relied on season pro's to keep them up.

I think the reason for the shift is that teams in the Championship are playing football because fans aren't turning up to watch the long ball game anymore because it's boring who wants to sit in freezing cold stadiums on a Saturday afternoon and watch a CB hoof a ball to a CF? Most teams in that league now get the ball down and play because they've seen it can be succesful Reading, Wigan, Burnley, Hull, Blackpool, Southampton, Norwich & Swansea have all come up as footballing sides. Now the stay in the Premiership might not have been a long one but when they've dropped back down a league they've not plummeted.

The problem is if you try and change a style over night you can drop quickly in the Premiership Bolton & Wolves are classic examples good solid in your face sides who tried to play a bit more football and dropped like a stone. If you want to play a new style you have to accept it takes time but it also takes money because you have to change the majority of the squad just look at home much change there's been at Liverpool since Rodgers took over.

Bolton have a chance to rebuild properly it might take a year or two in the Championship to get it right but for me it's worth doing and it has to be done with a view that in 5 years time the academy lads who are 12-15 now will be pushing to get in the first team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next