AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kentucky Fried Blackburn Rovers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

borocooper wrote:
Henning Berg set to be appointed....not too promising really..given he got sacked by his last club.

Sacked. 57 days in.

Wonder if the fans are regretting forcing the owners to sack the guy who had them up at the top to be replaced by someone who's taken them right down the other end..

God knows who they'll bring in now.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:52 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Bring Keane back? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

This has got Mark Hughes written all over it.

Sacking a manager after 60 days surely means the people who hired him need sacking as well.

Despite all Kean's problems with fans the players never stopped playing for him

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:56 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Blackburn really are a joke of a club. Their owners are a laughing stock and should be kicked out.

Reminds me of the Man City and Chelsea philosophies - if it doesn't work in a couple of months, throw money at it. If it still doesn't work, sack it. Then get a new thing, throw money at it, and sack it. Continue cycle.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

This is the way clubs have always been when you have owners pumping in a lot of their own money they want to see results. Difference is now more clubs have these sort of owners so the merry go round just gets more ridiculous.

I don't think City are that bad their owners have sacked 1 manager who they inherited and I don't believe they have any intention of sacking Mancini despite what the press think.

The issue at Chelsea is sacking managers actually gets them results sacking managers mid season has resulted in trophy wins under Hiddink & RDM.

There is nothing to say Berg given 5 years would've established Bkackburn in the top 10 in the prem. If they've realised they made a mistake then better to correct it now rather than let it get worse? Assuming the owners didn't pick Berg they should be questioning the panel that did as sacking him will have cost a fair bit of cash.

Football fans nearly always welcome new owners but they're not all Mansours & Abramovic just ask Pompey fans. I really don't understand why so many people are keen to invest in teams it's almost impossible to make money out of it I can only assume it's a way of advertising you're company to the whole world!

Did anyone know what Venky's did before they took over Blackburn?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

Apparently Appleton has been sacked...

Quote:
MICHAEL APPLETON has been sacked as Blackburn boss after just two months in charge.

The decision comes after Rovers were forced to come from behind to draw against fierce local rivals Burnley on Sunday.

Rovers were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Championship rivals Millwall last week.

The club is also lying 18th in the division just four points off the relegation zone.

Appleton learned the news this morning, with the players said to be shocked by the decision by club owners Venky's.

The former Preston midfielder left Blackpool to join Rovers in the new year after just 65 days in charge at Bloomfield Road.

In 15 games after taking over from Henning Berg, he won four, drew five and lost six.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... z2Nz4iWVq1

Quote:
Lancashire Telegraph's Blackburn Rovers writer Andrew Cryer: "Unofficially it appears to be true. Appleton has been sacked. Club offering no comment though."

Quote:
Michael Appleton has been in charge at Blackburn for just 67 days. In 15 games in charge he won four, drew five and lost six, with his latest result a 1-1 draw at home to Burnley.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Venky's clearly have no idea how to run a football club and haven't even been trying to learn about it by the look of it.

I just feel sorry for the Rovers fans.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

borocooper wrote:
Unbelievable.

If it were anyone but Blackburn then it would be.... Rovers though, it sadly isn't a great surprise.

What a manager is meant to do in 15 games I don't really know, he seemed to be taking them in the right direction, although you could argue that 4 wins in 15 isn't a brilliant record.

Maybe he should've stayed at Blackpool.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

conscience wrote:
Venky's clearly have no idea how to run a football club and haven't even been trying to learn about it by the look of it.

I just feel sorry for the Rovers fans.

From the fans on phone-ins and such they're all pretty fed up, and devastated that their club has been turned into a joke by Venkys. There was a chicken released in the ground again the other day, second time that's happened at Ewood Park.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Surely the man who's advising them should be the one getting sacked.

Of course they don't know how to run a football club they're chicken farmers but the clowns who are advising them should be taking the bullet along with the manager.

Now I do believe that sticking with a manager isn't always the right thing to do sometimes you have to just push the alarm button before things go totally t*ts up and maybe Appleton is out of his depth but you've then got to be asking questions of the man who put him forward for the job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:25 pm 
Major General
Major General

I think 67 days is a bit short to determine whether a manager is out of his depth, then again Berg only got a similar amount of time to do the job. Venky's are not exactly showing much patience.

You could argue that since buying the club they've appointed 3 managers and all 3 were wrong for the job. Kean never got them playing, Berg couldn't turn it around, and Appleton hasn't either.

I'm just glad that Solskjaer had the sense to steer well clear when he was linked with the role, it's become a very unappealing job IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i still think Kean, despite being pretty bad in the premiership, was doing well enough in the Championship. They either should've stuck with him all the way or sacked him as soon as they got relegated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think it's naive to think that it's Venkys who are pulling the trigger.

They brought the club on the advice of agents who were looking for investors to buy into Blackburn these agents/investment groups are the ones who are calling the shots.

I agree 67 days is ridiculous but how many Rovers fans were picketing when the club was taken over? The majority saw Venky's as a saviour to help catapult them back up the league instead they've got owners who didn't understand the business they were investing in and have just made a complete mess of it since day one.

As for the appointments Kean didn't do too badly he was just tarred by association and the fans turned on the team which didn't help you never really got the impression that the players wouldn't play for him but I agree he either should have gone in the summer or you stick with him to the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

Oh sure, it's not Venky's that are making all the decision. I thought this time though that Appleton was the man Singh wanted for the job, so surprised that he's decided to get rid.

Foreign investment is always iffy, it's worked for Chelsea and City, it hasn't for Portsmouth and Blackburn... fans will always want it for their club cos they think of Roman ploughing cash into Chelsea and expect that to be what they get.

Kean wasn't really given a chance by the fans, if they'd not turned on him then maybe he'd have kept them up, but he was the way to have a pop at the owners. He was doing an alright job this season, they were in the play-off places and could've gone back up.

Berg and Appleton weren't given enough time IMO. Though given how quick Appleton was to leave Blackpool it's a little tough to feel sorry for him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
It says everything about Blackburn's current predicament that Michael Appleton was sacked by a man he had never met and without the knowledge of the club's managing director, Derek Shaw.

During his 67 days at Ewood Park, Appleton did not exchange a single word with global advisor Shebby Singh. In the end he was sacked by letter - an abrupt and unexplained end to a turbulent and troubled tenure.

Sunday's 1-1 draw with Burnley had proved the final straw. Blackburn had come within minutes of losing to their bitter rivals for the first time in 34 years, leaving the club just four points above the relegation zone - the owners had seen enough.

One phone call was all it took and Singh, having been pushed to the periphery since the turn of the year, was tasked with delivering the news.

Play mediaMichael Appleton tells Football Focus about Blackburn's owners
The players had no inkling of what was to come as they arrived at the club's Brockhall training complex on Tuesday, nor did Appleton's assistants, who were also dismissed.

The owners asked that Gary Bowyer, the reserve team coach, take charge until the end of the season having performed so admirably when Henning Berg was sacked after 57 days in charge in December.

The news of Appleton's demise was met by widespread disbelief. "Madness," was how former Blackburn and Real Madrid defender Michel Salgado described it. "When you ask me to tell the truth I don't even know it, I don't know who is making decisions," he wrote on Twitter. Former Blackburn striker Jason Roberts added: "I've never been more concerned for the club."

And yet if recent history tells us anything it is that nothing that has happened at Ewood Park this season should come as a surprise. Steve Kean was given eight games at the start of the season, Berg was Blackburn manager for 10, Appleton got 15. The problem is bigger than any manager.

Stability had become a buzzword in the early days of Appleton's tenure and he often spoke of being given the chance to "build a club." He was hard-working, disciplined, pragmatic, old-school.

“Venky's have never been more unpopular, the value of their asset is plummeting rapidly and the prospect of a second successive relegation looms large”

But at boardroom level, Blackburn is a club tearing itself apart. Singh and Shaw have not spoken since the turn of the year, avoiding each other on match days and watching from different boxes.

On taking the job, Appleton had sought assurances from the owners about these issues. He was told that Shaw, who recommended him, negotiated the deal and ultimately appointed him, was to take charge of the day-to-day running of the club, with Singh, who oversaw the unsuccessful appointment of Berg, pushed to the sidelines.

It prompted Appleton to say recently, "I'm not sure what Shebby is doing at the moment but, if he's global advising, he's certainly not advising me."

Initially, Shaw's increased influence allowed Appleton to concentrate on matters on the pitch. The club won four of his first seven games to close to within six points of the play-off places. But the FA Cup victory over Arsenal was to prove the high-water mark and Appleton's last win in charge.

The former Blackpool boss soon found himself grappling with more than just matters on the field. He attempted to build bridges with the board, repair the morale of a squad scarred by relegation and the methods of one manager after another. It was a job anyone would have struggled with.

The spotlight, once again, turns back to Venky's, Blackburn's Indian owners. "I don't know if anyone would want the job," Simon Garner, the club's all-time leading scorer, told BBC Sport.

"Three managers in a season - it looks like you lose a few games and you're sacked. Venky's don't seem to know how to handle a manager and the fans. It is a total mess. I can't believe it."

Anuradha Desai remains the ultimate decision-maker in Pune and those close to her insist the family remain committed to Blackburn. But Venky's have never been more unpopular, the value of their asset is plummeting rapidly and the prospect of a second successive relegation looms large.

At the end of last season, Kean was called to a meeting in India with Singh and tasked with immediate promotion back to the Premier League. They sanctioned previously unseen sums of money for new players, gambled on a return to the top-flight and the status and riches it brings.

And yet, some nine months on and their football club is stuck in reverse. The power struggle rumbles on, different factions, pulling in different directions, neither sure of their position, neither sure who the owners trust or where the club is going. Appleton was a pawn, collateral damage.

Singh, having been on a break in his homeland of Malaysia for the past fortnight, would appear to be back in favour, casting doubt over the position of Shaw and operations director Paul Agnew.

The only consolation for Blackburn fans, is that in Bowyer they have appointed a manager in whom the players believe. But at a time when the focus should be on the field, the eyes of the footballing world have turned on the owners and the board once again for all the wrong reasons

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Blackburn Rovers managing director Derek Shaw has been told to stay away from Ewood Park during an investigation into the compensation owed to former boss Henning Berg.

On Wednesday Shaw received notice of the disciplinary inquiry in a letter.

Berg, who was sacked in late December , says he is owed approximately £2m and has taken his claim to the High Court.

Global advisor Shebby Singh will fly to India on Thursday for meetings with owners Venky's to discuss the matter.

Singh and the club declined to comment when approached by BBC Sport, while Shaw could not be contacted for comment.

BBC Sport understands a meeting has initially been planned between Shaw and Singh on Monday, with club directors attempting to discuss the matter with their Indian bosses on Thursday. The investigation will focus on how the terms of Berg's contract were drawn up.

In the meantime Shaw has been asked to stay at home.

Singh has been in talks with club lawyers for the last fortnight in an attempt to find a solution to Berg's claim , a case which is being pursued by the League Managers' Association. Berg went to the LMA for assistance after he said he had not been paid any compensation since his sacking.

Former Preston North End chairman Shaw was appointed by Rovers in June 2012, just days after Singh was confirmed as the club's global advisor.

Berg was in charge for 57 days. His successor Michael Appleton was sacked after only 67 days at the helm, with reserve team boss Gary Bowyer put in caretaker charge until the end of the season.

Monday's 3-0 defeat at league leaders Cardiff City leaves the club out of the Championship relegation zone only on goal difference.

The saga continues from what I've heard there is a power struggle between Shaw & Singh going on at the club which isn't helping anymore the owners need to dump one of them.

You would imagine that the contract Berg signed with Shaw who's been in football for years was the standard managers contract meaning if you sack him before the end of his contract you have to pay up a certain % as compensation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:31 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
It's like a circus. :no:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Was Blackburn Rovers' managing director Derek Shaw told to stay away from work earlier this month? Are owners Venky's investigating the amount of compensation owed to former boss Henning Berg? Questions that should be simple for a football club to answer.

But at Ewood Park there is confusion as contradictory club statements and a power struggle behind the scenes leave Rovers fans wondering what exactly is the truth behind the demise of their once proud football club.

On the field, Rovers are facing a battle to avoid a second successive relegation, currently lying in the Championship drop zone, but behind the scenes in-fighting between club officials is further sign of a club in chaos.

"The last two years have not been happy reading," said former Rovers striker Kevin Gallacher. "The people who don't know what is happening think it is bad, but those within the club know it is even worse than some people think behind the scenes."

Investigations
Global adviser Shebby Singh released a statement to BBC Sport on Wednesday saying investigations into matters behind the scenes at the club had "revealed several irregularities". It was left off Rovers' official website.

Quote:
Other contradictory statements
•3 January 2013: Rovers said reserve team boss Gary Bowyer would be in temporary charge until the end of the month. Michael Appleton was given a two-and-a-half-year contract a week later.
•31 December 2012 : Shebby Singh told the Lancashire Telegraph Henning Berg's successor would be named the next day. Appleton was appointed on January 10.
•24 September 2012 : A Rovers official was briefing off the record that boss Steve Kean would be sacked that day. The same day Singh insisted he would not. Kean quit four days later.
•22 November 2011: Steve Kean said he had broken off contract discussions calling it an "inappropriate time", before the club released a statement the following day saying a new deal had been signed.

His claim came a day after a statement had been posted on Rovers' website, without Singh's knowledge, saying there is no investigation into Berg's compensation with regard to managing director Shaw, who continued to have their "complete backing and support".

Berg, who was sacked in late December after just 57 days at the helm, says he is owed approximately £2m and has taken his claim to the High Court.

BBC Sport was told by two senior figures at the club on 4 April that Shaw had received a letter asking him to remain at home pending an investigation into the amount of compensation due to Berg.

Hours later a statement was put on the club's website "quashing rumours regarding Derek Shaw". BBC Sport returned to the officials it had spoken to previously, who admitted the official statement was contradictory and stood by what they had said earlier.

But when asked directly to respond to the question, "had Shaw been sent home pending an investigation?" the club declined to comment.

It has since been said by other club figures, off the record, that the letter was delivered by Singh, who claim it was done without the authority of the owners.

Shaw was in India for meetings with Venky's on Monday and Tuesday, along with operations director Paul Agnew and caretaker manager Gary Bowyer.

Singh was in Pune, in the state of Maharashtra, at the same time but stayed in a different hotel and did not meet with the trio during their talks.

"It seems different people at the club think and say different things," said Rovers' record goalscorer Simon Garner. "You just don't know what is going on half the time.

"You certainly don't get the impression that everyone is working together at the club and that causes confusion around the place."

The power struggle?

Shebby Singh was appointed as Blackburn Rovers' global adviser in June 2012. The former Malaysia international defender had been working as a pundit in Asia on Premier League football for the previous decade.

Upon his arrival, he insisted he had been charged with running the club for the owners, although his appointment was not recognised by the official website.

Michael Appleton on Singh

"We've not had any contact from Shebby since I've been here," Michael Appleton told the Guardian on February 16

"He knows my number. He knows where I am. I'm not sure what he's doing at the moment but, if he's global advising, he's certainly not advising me."

Singh was the man who delivered the news of Appleton's dismissal a little more than a month later, despite having never met or spoken to the Blackburn Rovers manager.

Singh told the Daily Mail in August: "It will take a long time for some people at the club to accept they have got an in-house pundit as a global adviser who has been sent here to oversee the present and future of the club.

"I've never been too popular and I don't think anything will change. But I will get the job done."

During Rovers' pre-season campaign, Singh was forced to apologise to then manager Steve Kean and midfielder Morten Gamst Pedersen for criticising them at a fans' forum.

At the same time as Singh's arrival, former Preston chairman Derek Shaw was appointed managing director at Ewood Park, while Rovers press officer Paul Agnew was promoted to operations director. Agnew had previously been a chief executive at Preston.

These appointments were mentioned by the club website.

The triumvirate were charged with putting the club back on an even keel after last season's Premier League relegation.

At the time, Agnew told the Lancashire Telegraph: "We are there to help one another - I am a firm believer in a working party environment where we utilise whatever talents we have within our management group to gain the best outcome for the club."

Their conflicting views have been evident throughout and it has reached a point now where Singh watches matches in a different box from Shaw and Agnew. Barely a word has been uttered between the two factions for the past four months.

"It looks as though too many people at the top of the club have different views," said former striker Gallacher.

"It is normal for those running the club to have different opinions but normally they knock their heads together and come to an agreement. It doesn't look as though this happens at Blackburn Rovers."

Singh was not involved in Michael Appleton's managerial appointment, while Agnew and Shaw were surprised by the manager's dismissal just 67 days later after four wins from 15 matches.

During his 67 days at Ewood Park, Appleton did not exchange a single word with Singh. In the end he was sacked by a letter delivered by the Malaysian.

"It isn't working, the way the club is set up," said Garner. "Is Singh running the club? Are Shaw and Agnew in charge? You genuinely have no clue.

"The hope was the three would work together to bring a stability to the club. It is pretty clear that hasn't happened. It is like there are two different groups within the club.

"You can't run any business if the top people have different views and say different things."

The impact

Behind the political power struggle lies a football club staring at the abyss after dropping into the Championship relegation zone for the first time this season, following Saturday's 3-2 defeat at Sheffield Wednesday .

Rovers are in 22nd position in the Championship having not won in the league in the last 10 matches, a run that includes six defeats.

It is a far cry from the club under the ownership of Jack Walker in the 1990s. The Blackburn-born steel magnate ploughed millions of pounds into Rovers, who were then an unfashionable club in the old second division.

Walker appointed former Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish as manager and Rovers forced their way into the Premiership elite through the play-offs in 1992.

After signing a number of high-profile players, including Alan Shearer for a then record fee of £3.5m, Walker saw the club win the Premier League in 1995 - their first title for 81 years.

Rovers remain just the fifth team to have lifted the coveted crown and, even after the death of Walker aged 71 in August 2000, they enjoyed European campaigns and won the Worthington Cup in 2002.

The season before Venky's bought Blackburn Rovers in November 2010, Sam Allardyce had guided them to a top-10 Premier League finish.

Allardyce was sacked with Rovers 13th in the Premier League just a month into Venky's stewardship in December 2010 without explanation, despite the owners stating his position was not in jeopardy when they bought the club.

Now, less than three years on, Rovers are perilously close to dropping into League One, with reserve team boss Gary Bowyer in his second spell in caretaker charge this season and the club's fifth manager of the campaign.

Rovers have signed 21 players since the summer, including spending £8m on Jordan Rhodes from Huddersfield and £3m on Leon Best from Newcastle. The club are paying some of their top earners more than £30,000 a week.

Venky's tenure has been marked by fan unrest. Sections of supporters held protests before and after some home games last season, while attendances have dropped from an average of 25,428 the season before Venky's bought the club in 2009-10 to 14,820 this campaign.

A supporters' trust has been set up with the ultimate aim of bringing the club into fan ownership while businessmen Ian Battersby and Ian Currie, who run corporate finance and capital-raising company Seneca Partners, are still attempting to contact Venky's to discuss a potential sale.

Venky's though are still showing no signs of wanting to sell.

Battersby said: "We have been on a downward spiral for more than two years now and there is no sign of it coming to an end.

"It looks like a gamble was taken in the summer when Shebby Singh was brought in and Venky's financed moves for a lot of players, including giving them long contracts.

"Where is this heading financially? It would be tough enough to continue on these finances in the Championship, I don't dare think about what would happen in League One.

"Even if Venky's did decide to walk away now, the club would be almost unbuyable. I believe it would take about £30m of working capital to turn it around over the next two years.

"The club has been run on a reactionary basis. People within Ewood Park can't agree and those with the final say are based in India and take about two weeks to make a decision."

Sometimes you wonder how the f*ck did these people make any money selling chickens? Their knowledge of even the most basic management structure is shocking you can't have two people in charge. If you're going to be a hands off owner you appoint 1 man to report back to you he has his own team below him who report all the relevant information back to him to then pass on to the board. They seemed to have this in Shaw an experienced football man then they bought in Singh who didn't really have a role other than to be a bit of a mouth piece for the club and advise the owners without being part of the management structure.

Blackburn are now stuck with these clowns as they'll never be able to sell the club for what they paid for it and their best hope is that they'll try and cut there losses and get rid on the cheap. Not sure local fans can really get together and buy a club the size of Blackburn because you need some serious cash to be able to afford a football team.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:14 pm 
Major General
Major General

Foreign business structures can be a bit weird by English standards, I deal with companies all around the world and the way some of them are run is really unbelievable, so I'm not that surprised to see that owners who've been successful in business in India are having a hard time with sorting out the management structure of an English football club. Not to mention the vast differences between selling chickens and running a football club.

The more worrying aspect is that they don't seem to be learning anything from the mistakes they've made. You would think that when they see what's going on that they'd want to change things to try and fix the problems. There seems to be no desire to fix the problems they have, things have just continued to descend into farce with a manager being hired by one guy and fired by another 2 months later.

If they were to go down again then they'd best hope that the contracts they gave players like Rhodes have clauses to reduce wages, because the income will plummet, and if the players are still earning the same then the club could well go the way of Portsmouth (before the fans acquired the club).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next