Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: MK Dons: Boss Wise Beyond His Years
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
[quote="JSP"I think the media love this fixture because it gives them plenty to write/talk about but any real football fan didn't want it to happen.[/quote]

:stop:

I probably watched 100-200 Wimbledon games growing up. They were my local side and I got free tickets. Took me 15 minutes to get to the stadium. I think it's an excellent fixture because it'll sell tickets it'll be a televised game. It brings in lots of money for both clubs.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Both teams got very good wins this weekend. MK Dons beat Sheff Utd. Wimbledon got a result against York. Off the top of my head that is I could have made it up. :lol:

AFC fans would be silly not to go and support their team. Imagine if they beat em it'd be one of the most satisfying victories as a fan going!!

Would it do they really wanted to go and stand in the big 22,000 seater stadium on a retail park (nowhere near any pubs) and watch a team that was stolen from under their noses?

I can see why some of the fans are conflicted on it.

Like I said it's everyones own choice did you consider yourself a Wimbledon fan growing up or did you just go and watch them because it was local and you could go with your family/mates?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I wouldn't class myself as a fan because that implied a more emotional attachment. I enjoyed watching football and they were the closest team to watch. That said I didn't ever go and watch Palace except when they played Wimbledon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I wouldn't class myself as a fan because that implied a more emotional attachment. I enjoyed watching football and they were the closest team to watch. That said I didn't ever go and watch Palace except when they played Wimbledon.

Fair enough I guess that emotional attachment is what might make fans stay away.

Seen some people suggesting that away fans donate the cost of the match ticket to AFC Wimbledon rather than buy the ticket that way AFC still get the share of the gate receipt and the TV money and fans don't feel conflicted about giving money to MK Dons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 am 
Major General
Major General

I understand not wanting to give the money to MK Dons, but first and foremost they should be supporting their team. Go up there, get behind AFC, and if they win it'll be a fantastic day for them.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Some fans are going to donate the money from the match ticket to watch AFC Wimbledon rather than go to the game that way AFC keep all the money and nothing goes to the MK. For those who feel that way I think watching the game would be quite painful as even though the MK Dons have nothing to do with Wimbledon anymore they've severed all ties it is in some wierd way still the team they grew up supporting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am 
Major General
Major General

I can understand that, I just think that they'd be better off going and supporting their club. I would imagine that if they don't go, and AFC win the game then they'll wish they'd gone.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The game is the ITV game this Sunday.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

AFC equalize in the 60th minute.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

2-1 MK Dons in the 92nd minute. A cheeky little back hell that was definitely lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Imagine a team who play attractive football, stick by their manager, offer family value and are tied to their local community.

Imagine that, somehow, they are one of the most disliked clubs in the country.

Welcome to the dichotomy that is MK Dons.

Ten years ago this weekend, the town of Milton Keynes hosted its first ever Football League match. The game? A 2-2 draw between Wimbledon and Burnley.

In the summer of 2003, south London second-tier side Wimbledon were wrapped in uncertainty, brought about by a lack of a permanent home and unsustainable financial losses.

Quote:
What's to like?

•Investing in the future: MK Dons have a successful youth setup, with 12 academy products making their first-team debuts in the last 10 years, 10 of whom were born within 30 miles of the ground
•Standing by a manager: Boss Karl Robinson (pictured) is the seventh-longest reigning current manager in the Premier League and Football League
•Community: MK Dons has 16 disability football teams and their football trust engages with 60,000 people a year
•Cheap for kids: An under-18 season ticket in the family area is £28. It costs an under-seven £6 for the season, if attending with an adult.

For better or worse, Pete Winkelman's consortium moved the Dons to Milton Keynes, the Buckinghamshire new town.

Uproar barely does justice to the reaction from, not just Wimbledon fans, many of whom realigned their allegiance to the phoenix club AFC Wimbledon, who are now a division below MK, but football as a whole.

The hows and whys are well documented, regardless of whether both sides of the fence can agree on a factual narrative for how it came about.

But, a decade on, with history put aside oh so briefly, is it safe to give a respectful nod towards Stadium MK and the culture Winkelman has created around his club?

"I can't replay what happened in the past," Winkelman, the music executive synonymous with MK Dons and its path to existence, told BBC Sport.

"What we are going to do is make a difference in our local environment.

"Maybe it will never be right until I've gone. But what I have to do as the first chairman is make sure all of the infrastructure is in place for the future."

That infrastructure includes an enviable youth setup - with 12 academy products going on to make their first-team debuts, 10 of whom were born within 30 miles of MK1.

In the past 12 months, 11 young MK Dons players have been called into age group national teams.

The club has 16 disability teams, while the MK Dons Sport and Education Trust interacts with 60,000 people every year.

The sense of sanctimony throughout England's football community could perhaps waver when faced with those accomplishments. Or maybe not.

"I think the perception is still broadly negative," said Dr John Beech, an honorary researcher in football finances at Coventry University.

"It's not just AFC Wimbledon fans who refer to them as the franchise. There is a fairly widespread dislike of them."

Not that MK Dons fans are pining for approval.

"It sounds like the desperate kid at school. 'Please like me, please like me'. People either like you for who you are or dislike you," said John Brockwell, chair of the Milton Keynes Dons Supporters Association.

"Everyone concentrates on where we came from 10 years ago. Not where we are."

There have, of course, been other British clubs that have moved location and made a success of it.

Arsenal's upheaval from Woolwich to north London is now a century old and, more recently in 1995, Meadowbank Thistle left their Edinburgh home to become Livingston FC.

Could the passing of time enable a shift in perception of MK Dons?

"I certainly hope so," said Winkelman. "People don't remember the Arsenal move now, but maybe it takes 100 years for people to forget - I don't know.

"Am I learning about the culture of English football? I hope you can tell I am. Are there lessons to learn from the journey? Absolutely.

"But what I need to do is put MK Dons and the people of Milton Keynes first and let history be the judge."

Time may also swell MK's fan-base. A town built in the 1960s, that did not have a professional football team until 2003, is inhabited by a generation already attached to another team, the one they grew up supporting and watching.

But a League Two title and a Johnstone's Paint Trophy double in 2008 have offered chapters of early history for MK Dons.

And Stadium MK is regularly one of League One's more attended stadiums - even if many there are paying to watch their 'second team' - with last season's average of 8,611 beaten by just Sheffield United, Portsmouth, Coventry and Preston.

"In the short-term we are a lot of people's second team," said Winkelman.

"I'll only grow the audience by having success.

"Our goal is to give our fans that sense of history that so many fans taunt us that we don't have yet. And slowly we are."

Events of 10 years ago boiled furiously to the surface again last season, when MK Dons faced AFC Wimbledon for the first time in an FA Cup tie - estranged cousins re-acquainted.

Wimbledon and their supporters are unlikely to be persuaded of anything virtuous within Winkelman and, in 2006, the passing of all the former club's trophies and honours to the London Borough of Merton, Wimbledon's spiritual home, did little to ease the tensions.

But MK are now a fixture of English football - financially stable, with a stadium set to become a 30,000-capacity in a few weeks' time and preparing to host 2015 Rugby World Cup games.

"In reality MK Dons are here to stay. And I would prefer to see some reconciliation," said Dr Beech.

"Will it happen? I hope it will over time.

"And while MK Dons gave back the heritage, they kept the name 'Dons'. To me there is still this major impediment that they stole the name and haven't given it back."

Winkelman has previously said the decision of whether to drop 'Dons' from their name lies firmly with his club's supporters, who have expressed little to no interest in the idea.

But what about the one thing - or man -that intrinsically links MK to the stigma of that move a decade ago?

"Pete and MK Dons come together. It's very much bound up in Pete's vision," said Brockwell, who has lived in Milton Keynes since the late 1970s.

"He's definitely had to put his money where his mouth is. But for all of that he is inevitably bound up in the club."

Winkelman, who has outlined a new training facility as the next step in the MK journey, does not dismiss outright the concept that MK Dons might be better received when he is gone.

"I understand that argument. It's been put to me a number of times," he said.

"But I cannot be confident of somebody else coming in and not looking at the big picture of what MK Dons needs to be about.

"I trust myself to do the right thing. I can't think of a time past me until everything is in place."

The MK Dons approach could well convert some doubters - but others believe wounds last longer than a decade.

For me I still think the town should have just created a new club with it's own identity and pushed them up the league with money rather than steal another club but you can't really argue with what they are doing as a club since they moved here. The academy is booming some of the lads they bring through are being snapped up by clubs at 13/14 years old for significant fees and they do a lot of work to look after the local clubs in the surrounding town to help them impove their facilities. I know at my local club they send coaches down on a regular basis to do sessions with the junior teams to help them develop and also help out a few of the volunteers who run these sides.

I'll personally never want anything to do with them but if they can get up another division they could really spring board because people around here are starved of football and considering they keep the prices pretty reasonable people will start taking their kids along to watch games.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Milton Keynes Dons have confirmed that they have signed Larnell Cole on loan from Fulham until the end of the season.

The League One promotion chasers have sealed a deal for Cole, who only joined Fulham from Manchester United on deadline day in January.

The winger played in the Cottagers' recent 2-2 draw away to United in the Premier League, but has not been involved since Rene Meulensteen left the club.

Sky Sports revealed earlier on Tuesday that a deal had been agreed and now the two clubs have confirmed the 20-year-old's switch.

"I'm really excited by this signing," MK boss Karl Robinson told the club's website.

"We've been watching Larnell for a while and he is a high-potential player."

Cole, who can play anywhere in midfield and also at full-back, will go straight into the Dons squad for Tuesday night's League One clash away to Oldham. His arrival is a significant boost for Robinson after the loss of Samir Carruthers to a knee injury.

"We had to react quickly to the Samir injury," added Robinson, "and he's exactly the type of player I want to bring to the football club - a player of quality, a player of note."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
MK Dons defender Brendan Galloway has submitted a transfer request, the club has confirmed.

Galloway is reportedly a target for Everton, with several other Barclays Premier League clubs thought to have expressed an interest in the highly-rated teenager.

The Dons revealed in a statement on their official website on Friday afternoon that the 18-year-old, who still has another year remaining on his contract at stadium:mk, had "through his advisors, formally expressed his desire to leave."

"We are devastated that Brendan wishes to leave as we feel our first team is the best place for him at the moment and his continuing development," said Dons chairman Pete Winkelman.

"There has been interest from several Premier League sides in Brendan and we fully appreciate the lure of the top flight is enormous.

"We accept that Brendan may have played his last game for the club, but we will remain in discussions with interested parties to ensure MK Dons receives the best possible deal for one of the country's brightest young talents."

Dons boss Karl Robinson added: "We are very focused on the development of our young and gifted players and I gave Brendan his debut at the age of 15. I've seen him grow into a very talented footballer.

"The club, the chairman, the fans and I have been fully supportive of Brendan throughout his career with the Dons, and nothing has made us prouder than to see him represent England at U16, U17, U18 and U19 levels."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Will be hosting us in the League Cup 2nd round.

Easy away for you JSP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:11 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Shame. The thought of United helping them get money makes me a little sick.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd love to keep up my record of never sitting in the home end for one of their matches but I imagine there will be a slim to none chance of getting a ticket for this one.

In all honestly I'd rather we never play them they don't deserve the pay day for what they did.

I'm sure Utd's away fans will have a great time in that away end as it's really not designed to deal with rowdy drunk fans as it's all so open.

They should bring the WAGs with them as the ground is sandwiched between an IKEA & a Primark and no pubs anywhere in sight :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Be easy to get tickets for this one mate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not in the away end it won't although I might try and get one will depend on the size of the allocation the club gets I might be able to get one through mates. Although as a matter of principle I'm generally against giving the Dons any money.

The home end will be full of complete bells the majority of them will just be ABU types who only turn up because Utd are in town but there will be a lot of Utd fans in there as well.

To put it in perspective now it's finished that ground holds around 35,000 and excluding away support Dons get I believe around 10,000

It's about a 20 minute drive from where I live and even for me it's a pain in the ar*e to get to

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
http://www.concreteroundabout.co.uk/php ... 64&t=11274 :laugh:

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Dele Alli, the MK Dons teenager being chased by Liverpool and Bayern Munich, so loves playing football that as kick-off approaches he often dances in the dressing-room to Drake and DJ Rusky – or Ed Sheeran if the older players complain about his choice of music.

Alli’s footwork on the field has been earning him strong reviews this season, particularly in MK’s League Cup thrashing of Manchester United and also for England Under-19s in their recent draw with Germany. His development was rewarded today with a new contract at MK until 2017. The 18-year-old midfielder is proof that English football can nurture promising footballers, particularly when they are fostered by conscientious managers such as Karl Robinson and given a run of games.

MK appreciate that Alli will leave one day, fulfilling what he calls his “dream to play in the Premier League and the World Cup”. A sensibly run club, MK know that an offer touching £4 million, more than their annual wage budget, will see this home-grown starlet head to more famous pastures, probably in January with the hope that he is loaned back to them for the remainder of the League One campaign.

In person, Alli is friendly, with a steady eye contact that has a hint of mischief and daring in it. A ball-winning, ball-using midfielder, Alli has the self-belief to know his career is developing well, and the hunger to keep it going. “England are producing young players,’’ said Alli.

“I’ve seen it with players I play with and against. People say that English players aren’t that clever but look at the style we are playing.

“We have a good group of young players coming through which is great for clubs and good for England. There’s Raheem Sterling at Liverpool and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jack Wilshere at Arsenal. There’s Nat Chalobah [on loan at Burnley] and Lewis Baker from Chelsea. We’re all trying to play the same way, keeping the ball, closing the other team down, not sitting off, dominating games with possession and attacking quickly. All the clubs understand that possession is important. The way Spain have a philosophy as a country — possession — is what we are starting to do.”

MK’s 4-0 humiliation of United brought even more focus on Alli; most Premier League clubs, and some Bundesliga, had representatives scouting him again that night. “Before games, the gaffer will sit me down, tell me I’m being watched, and make sure I’m not getting carried away.’’ Liverpool’s manager, Brendan Rodgers, has been watching him closely. “I’ve heard he has,’’ said Alli. “It’s not something I really worry about.

“I wasn’t fazed against United. We were up against Anderson, [Adnan] Januzaj and [Nick] Powell. That three was the best midfield I’ve played against; their movement was a lot sharper than anyone I’ve come up against so far. But nothing fazes me.

“That game against United gave me great inspiration because that’s where I want to be playing – in the top leagues against the top teams. It showed I am capable of doing that eventually. Everyone’s dream is to play in the World Cup and for a Premier League team but I’m happy here. I wouldn’t want to go and just be an Under-21 player. I’m definitely not in a rush to move on yet. Everyone wants to be playing at the highest level they can but there are different pathways to reach there.’’ He sees Patrick Bamford, a Chelsea forward, being loaned around, including a successful spell at MK and now at Middlesbrough. “I chose a different pathway but hopefully we’ll end up in the same place, playing in the top leagues, but I’m not in a hurry,’’ said Alli.

Bamford recently arrived unannounced at Alli’s house to see how his old team-mate was. “We always talk on the phone but I hadn’t seen him for ages and then he just turned up at the house and surprised me. He’s a really good mate of mine.’’ Bamford stayed and cooked him a meal.

One day, they hope to be at the top table. “With the young players coming through, the top clubs need such players. I’m sure Will Hughes is happy playing in the Championship week in, week out for Derby County, just as I’m happy playing here. I want to develop to get this club into the Championship and then into the Premier League.

"This is a good club, good city. I’m from this city. I love living here. I understand what it means for MK as a city for the team to do well. Against United, we wanted to show the world what a good team we are and we did. We have a strong team. We definitely have a chance of going up.

“We are all close, everyone gets on, even the old ones. The older players play golf. When I get good I’ll come out and show what I can do. Last season I had the iPod for a bit but the older players weren’t having my Hip Hop. I get some funny looks when I put my music on. If they are starting to moan, I’ll put on something safe – Ed Sheeran. Just to chill. I like Drake.

I’ll put on some DJ Rusky [a 19-year-old from North Carolina] who is a DJ just coming on to the scene at the minute but is more Hip Hop than House.

DJ Rusky has a few mixed tapes that everyone enjoys like old RnB, so I put that on.

“With a few of the younger players, I went to a festival in the summer, EDC [Electric Daisy Carnival], House music, that was good. Me and Benik [Afobe], Samir [Carruthers] and Tom Hitchcock like a dance in the dressing-room. It’s important to enjoy football.

“Some people think there would be a divide between young and old, but everyone helps each other out here: in games, in training and off the pitch as well. We are all on a journey together to get the club where it deserves to be and where we want to be.

“We all want to play the same way, playing a possession game. There’s a big element of trust when you’re taking risks. We are confident we can play like that. I like to drop deep, between the defenders and get on the ball.

“Pottsy [Darren Potter, ex-Liverpool] being a good defensive player is good for me. It gives me a chance to go forward, get assists and a few goals but I can sit in as well.

“With England, I play a more attacking role in a 4-3-3 but they want us rotating, so when we went away to Germany, if I was the deepest midfielder I’d drop in. Doing that here helped. This is a good place for me, with a manager like Karl who trusts young players, chucks them in at the deep end.

Karl has helped me a lot. Even when I’ve messed up, he’s still played me and kept trust in me. That’s helped me a lot to develop. I’m enjoying the challenge to get goals and assists.” Guided by Robinson and the club’s Academy staff, Alli focuses on being a dedicated professional, resisting temptation. “There are a lot of things trying to throw you off track but you have to be dedicated if you want to get to the top. There are some people you can’t trust. I know the people who have my best interests. When people are trying to get me to come out and have a bit of fun, I know I have to stay in.

“When I lived with my mother, I nearly got kicked out of school. I went to Stantonbury [Campus]. I was getting in a bit of trouble. The mates I was with before got into difficult places. What happened to them is a motivation to me. I don’t want to go back to there. I want to go as far as I can and be successful as I can.” Backed by the club, Alli made a difficult but ultimately vindicated decision. “I moved away [from home]. It was time for me to start afresh. So I moved in with a family.’’

He did all right at school. “I got Cs in everything at GCSE, and a couple of A*s – in sport. Shock! I wouldn’t say I wasn’t clever but school didn’t come naturally to me.”

Alli’s footballing education continues apace. He watches the way the best players act on and off the field. “Lionel Messi doesn’t get any bad press. He’s just all about success. He’s 100 per cent committed to football. Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are good role models with the way they act as professionals.”

And players. “Lampard’s got a lot of goals. Gerrard is still getting goals but also plays defensive. They always give 100 per cent. You can see their winning attitude, even when things are not going their way, they work as hard as they can to win. You can see how devastated they are if they don’t win.

“Gerrard was a big reason I began supporting Liverpool. I liked Chelsea as well because of Lampard. I wasn’t as much a fan when I was living with my mum. But I moved in with this new family and they were Liverpool fans. It made sense with me to stick with Liverpool. I remember Istanbul, the FA Cup final, and the game against Olympiakos: Gerrard just scoring amazing goals.

“My first goal against Cambridge [City in the FA Cup on his first MK start in 2012] was one Gerrard would do, coming through and hitting a long-range shot. I wanted to show people I could score from distance – 35 yards. I’m right-footed but I work on my left. I work on my finishing. I work on my game.

"I love watching Xabi Alonso, Andres Iniesta and Xavi with the way they move.” Alli continues to work, continues to be unfazed when the first whistle blows.

“I smile on the pitch, a bit too much at times! Sometimes it winds people up. Some players say things to me but I just laugh. There’s nothing to be unhappy about at the minute.”

I've heard a lot about this kid but didn't realise how good he was until I watched that Utd game as according to a few people who go and watch dons regularly he's like that most weeks. It would be a shame for them to lose him I think another season or two with them will do him the world of good to not only keep him grounded but also keep him playing well.

They've got a great academy here in MK and it's good to see a local lad getting a chance to play at the top level when I grew up (not that I was anywhere near good enough) no one scouted talent around here and some of the lads we used to play with/against imo could have made it so it's good to see them being noticed.

Some of them are even getting snapped up by top clubs straight out of the academy I think Chelsea paid over £1m for a couple of teenagers a year or two back.