AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wolves' Old Gold Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
JSP wrote:
Spawny wrote:
To me he's one of those keepers who'll spend 89 minutes making save after save and keeping his side in the match, then in the 90th minute he'll drop a clanger that costs them the game.

You can say that about any keeper though he probably does more to earn his wages than any other keeper in the league you can forgive a keeper a mistake if he's spent the rest of the game keeping out chance after chance.

I don't think he's amazing but think he'd of been a good pick up for any mid table/newly promoted side he's young but deals with the physical side of the game well. With a bit of protection in front of him he will probably make less mistakes.

It's what separates a good keeper from a great keeper though, making that mistake at a crucial moment every now and then is expected, but Henessey is quite prone to it, as in it's every 2 or 3 games rather than every 9 or 10 games. This is what I thought, and speaking with OLOE who is a season ticket holder at Wolves he said much the same thing.

He's a big guy, and does deal well with the physical side, and is quite agile for his size. He wouldn't be a bad shout for QPR if they're going to sell Paddy Kenny (who seems to be a particular favourite or Warnock). There are plenty of better keepers in the PL though.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Well I'd say in order to provide the most accurate result you should look at the number of saves made per mistake.

Would it be fair to compare the number of mistakes Hennesey makes to the number of mistakes Joe Hart makes per game when Hennesey makes 15 saves per game and Hart makes 5.

The real top class keepers the likes of Cassilas, Neuer or Buffon aren't the best because they do nothing for 89 minutes then make a save they're the best because they make saves that no one else can make I don't really buy into that lack of concentration thing. Pro keepers are constantly switched on it's not like they stand on the post having a chat to the guy in the front row they're always ready to make save.

There is an alternative argument based on "getting yourself in the zone" when a keeper has a day where nothing gets passed him there's a theory that after each save his confidence grows with every save and reaches "the zone".

List of keepers Henessey is probably on par with who will be in the EPL next season (assuming they're not sold).

Begovic/Sorensen
Mignolet
Foster
Howard
Schwarzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 pm 
Major General
Major General

Saves per mistake isn't a real reflection either though. If a striker shoots and hits you in the face then it's classed as a save, so really you'd need to look at where the ball would have hit the goal to really judge it. Then you have to classify what counts as a mistake. Handling errors are easy to spot, but positioning errors are much harder to judge.

So, if during a match the ball hits you 5 times without you having to move, and then the one time you have to move you mess it up then it's a bit different to making 5 saves that have required good positioning, footwork, and agility and then making 1 mistake.

Oh, and you left De Gea off of your top keepers list :wink:

So where are you putting him in comparison to Jaaskelainen / Bogdan, Ruddy, Robinson, etc?

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That is more my point statistics can be b*llocks like you said a keeper can't really be judged on saves as the statistic doesn't account for the fact that 90% of the shots might be pea rollers that are straight at him. That is why the "moneyball" approach doesn't really work in football because those sort of statistics can be misleading.

I think Paul Robinson is the worst goal keeper in the premier league in fact of all the number 1 keepers in the premier league he is the only one that I'd say is sh*t all he can do is kick a ball really far.

Hennesey is as good as Ruddy or Paddy Kenny who I don't think are great but then again they're not that bad. He's not good enough to be an improvement on the top 6 or 7 clubs but I'd say he'd hold his own at all the others

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

I agree about statistics, I also agree about Robinson... he has the odd good game, but is nowhere near as good as he used to be, and certainly not as good as people used to make out he was.

I don't think Henessey's better than Vorm, and he's certainly no better than Shay Given who has been one of the best keepers in that division for years. Otherwise I think he's around the same standard as most of the keepers of the current bottom half of the table.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Al Habsi is the best keeper in the bottom half of the table for me

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 pm 
Major General
Major General

idontfeardeath wrote:

He's another one who is a very good shot stopper, but is prone to a howler... although TBF to him since becoming a first choice keeper he has reduced his number of mistakes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I don't think being a good shot stopper really applies every keeper in the league (apart from Paul Robinson) is a fantastic shot stopper.

The real test is the other things you want from a keeper these days especially in the premier league where set pieces can often be the difference you need a keeper who can dominate his penalty box & top clubs need one who can distribute the ball quickly and accurately.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I'd argue Ruddy isn't a good shot stopper after his performance against City.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

idontfeardeath wrote:

You reckon better than Vorm?

I'd give it to Vorm. Robinson seems to be getting stick a bit out of the blue in here as well! He's nothing special but he's had some great games this season..he's been getting battered in some games.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
I'd argue Ruddy isn't a good shot stopper after his performance against City.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bad day at the office but I remember a game at Anfield earlier in the season where he was immense.

Robinson gets done way to easy on long shots he's had a problem with them going back to his days at spurs.

I think he's the worst 1st choice keeper in the league but I think the standard of keepers goes up every year

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson has distanced himself from speculation that he is to become the next Wolves manager.

Bookmakers stopped taking bets at the weekend on Ferguson replacing Terry Connor in the summer.

Connor was placed in charge of Wolves until the end of the season after Mick McCarthy's sacking in February but has been unable to win a game as the club were relegated from the Premier League.

But Ferguson claims he knew nothing about the link until a friend contacted him about the rumours.

"It's certainly not me putting the money on," Ferguson told the Peterborough Evening Telegraph.

"I had no idea what was happening until I had a text from a friend asking me what was going on as the bookies had suspended betting on me moving to Wolves.

"I have had no contact with Wolves and I don't expect any."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Stale Solbakken is the surprise 1/5 favourite to be Wolves manager after a string a significant bets for the Norwegian boss to get the job.

The 44-year-old, who won five league titles in Denmark with Copenhagen, is out of work after an unsuccessful spell at Bundesliga outfit Cologne ended with his sacking.

Despite his relative anonymity within the English game, Sky Bet saw a series a notable bets for Solbakken to replace interim boss Terry Connor, prompting his price to tumble from as long as 20/1 on Wednesday to odds-on.

Connor is expected to be relieved of his position after failing to win a game after taking over from Mick McCarthy, resulting in Wolves being relegated with three games left.

Solbakken's backing has seen the other supposed contenders' odds drift, with Ian Holloway pushed to 7/1, Gus Poyet now 8/1 and once odds-on favourite Dougie Freedman currently 20/1, while Connor is 10/1 to retain the post.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Imagine how you'd feel if your club told you that a move to Wolves was out of the question. We'd guess at 'slightly miffed'. Not Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson...he's 'mentally broken'.

The Lillestrom midfielder said on Twitter: 'Just had a meeting with the board, Forcing me to stay! #MentallyBroken #WantToLeave!!!'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 pm 
Major General
Major General

You'd have to be mentally broken to want to go to Wolves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

JSP wrote:
Think Wolves need to go back to basics and just start kicking people again that's how they got results to keep them up for the last 2 seasons.

I think O'Hara is nice on the eye but I'm not sure he influences the game enough to play that sort of role in a team near the bottom who are scrapping. He'd probably look much more comfortable in a team who play possession football like Swansea or Wigan but at Wolves he struggles a bit as he'll pass the ball on to someone move to get it back then see them smash a long diagonal to Fletcher in a channel.

Hollywood O'Hara is an injury crock

And trust me Wolves don't kick teams off the park. That's a Daily Mailism if ever there was one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Spawny wrote:
You'd have to be mentally broken to want to go to Wolves.

Or a moneygrabber. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Don't kid yourself OLOE when they came up under McCarthy they were a very physical side nothing wrong with that. The spine of the team were work horses you had a bit of flair out wide with Jarvis but generally you scrapped for every 50/50 which is why against top sides you often caught them off guard.

Last season you didn't really have that mentality the team would just role over when they went behind and fans turned on them very quickly. I think the board wanted to see the ball on the deck more often but you didn't have the players to do it at the premiership level.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:11 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

JSP wrote:
Don't kid yourself OLOE when they came up under McCarthy they were a very physical side nothing wrong with that. The spine of the team were work horses you had a bit of flair out wide with Jarvis but generally you scrapped for every 50/50 which is why against top sides you often caught them off guard.

Last season you didn't really have that mentality the team would just role over when they went behind and fans turned on them very quickly. I think the board wanted to see the ball on the deck more often but you didn't have the players to do it at the premiership level.

When they/we came up, they played attacking football with 2 bona fide wingers. They on occasion played 451 - and rightly tightened up. They did what any side low on talent but high on effort did, try harder.
They/we have NEVER EVER been a dirty team. Karl Hnery tackle V Wigan/VIlla aside!

The fans are fickle.

They invested IMHO wisely in Rojo, who turned out was a disaster. Add their first 6 choice central midfielders out and you're on a hiding to nowt.

Frimpong came and went. O'Hara out for months. Henry suspended than injured. Ended up blooding a kid in Davis who'd played lower league stuff on loan.

Morgan stuck his beak in after Liverpool won 0-3 and from then on, it was time to go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Did I say they were dirty?

They were strong worker types players like Henry, Hunt, Berra, Elekobi & Doyle not technically blessed but they work incredibly hard and make it very hard for them to play against. If you weren't up for it they'd run you off the park and give you no time on the ball.

Last season that just wasn't there when I saw them that team spirit had gone and there were factions in the team and the fans were quick to turn on them. Once that atmosphere sets in players find it hard to play at home as they're scared of having the ball.

It was just a bad place to be last season and it can happen at a club West Ham & Newcastle had it when they went down and you could see it at Wolves last season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next