AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Wolves' Old Gold Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Wolves have signed Chelsea utility player Michael Mancienne for a third loan spell, with the player to remain at Molineux for the remainder of this season.

Mancienne initially played an important role in helping Wolves gain promotion from the Championship during the 2008-09 campaign.

He then rejoined the midlands club for last season and was used initially as a central defender and then in a holding midfield role.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Matt Murray Announces Retirement
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves keeper Matt Murray has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 29 through injury.

The former England Under-21 player has been dogged by setbacks throughout his career.

Now Murray has given up hope of recovering sufficiently from a ruptured patella tendon to be able to play at the highest level.

But the club are not ruling out the possibility of Murray returning to Molineux in "some capacity".

He informed Wolves manager Mick McCarthy and chief executive Jez Moxey of his decision to quit this morning.

A statement on Wolves' official website reads: "Popular Wolves keeper Matt Murray has today taken the difficult decision to announce his retirement from professional football.

"After a long and arduous road to try and get back to fitness after rupturing his patella tendon, Murray has, at the age of 29, decided he will not be able to recover to the standard required for the professional game.

"Murray this morning informed Wolves boss Mick McCarthy and chief executive Jez Moxey of his decision, as well as his team-mates and the medical staff who have given him so much support.

"It goes without saying that everyone connected with Wolves wishes Matt all the best wherever his career takes him, which could yet see him return to Molineux in some capacity."

McCarthy paid personal tribute to keeper Murray. He said: "It's a sad day when anyone has to retire, even more so when it's a 29-year-old goalkeeper that in my opinion would have been one of the England regulars had he been fit.

"That only compounds the feelings of disappointment and sorrow that we all feel for him.

"But it's not just that. He's worked so hard to come back from all his injuries.

"Despite all the knockbacks, despite being told it was three months and then six months out, he has fought and fought tooth and nail and worked as hard as anybody I ever seen.

"It's finished off with disappointment, but through it all he has never once let his demeanour slip into anything other than Matt Murray, that nice big fellow that he is.

"His personality and his smile have never wavered. It's a sad day for all of us and I'd just to like to thank him from everyone for everything he has done for this club."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Matt Murray Announces Retirement
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:45 pm 
Sniper
Sniper

Terrible news , but news that was always on the cards. Great guy on and off the pitch and will definately be missed at Molinuex.

Post subject: Re: Matt Murray Announces Retirement
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Remember seeing him as a youngster coming through and wondered what happened to him as he looked like a decent prospect possible international keeper but he dissapeared.

Always sad to see a players career cut short by injury must be so hard when you've touched the promised land of doing what we all dreamed of doing as kids then having it taken away.

Sure Wolves will look after him though maybe give him a chance to get involved in coaching or something like that.

Post subject: Re: Wolves' Old Gold Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

FRANK LAMPARD is out of the England squad after being booked in for a hernia operation. The Chelsea midfielder, who missed a penalty against Stoke, will have surgery on Wednesday.

It means Wolves midfielder Matt Jarvis, who has been named in the 30-man provisional squad, could take his place.

Jarvis was stunned on Thursday to learn that he is in Capello's thoughts and may now be in the squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Switzerland.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Mancienne is a good signing.

Gutted for Murray - unluckiest man in football.

As for Jarvis - well deserved - come on so well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy has left Michael Kightly out of his 25-man squad for the Premier League after the winger suffered a setback.

Kightly, 24, has been experiencing problems with his patella tendons and could eventually be loaned out before returning to Wolves' plans in January. McCarthy told the club's official website: "We're just going to let Kights get on with it.

"When he is fit, he won't have played since last November and it would be very difficult in that situation to go straight back into the Premier League."

Wolves' 25-man squad:Marcus Hahnemann, Wayne Hennessey, Carl Ikeme, Kevin Foley, Ronald Zubar, Richard Stearman, Jody Craddock, Christophe Berra, Steven Mouyokolo, George Elokobi, Stephen Ward, Jelle Van Damme, Karl Henry, David Jones, Michael Mancienne, Dave Edwards, Greg Halford, Nenad Milijas, Adlene Guedioura, Matt Jarvis, Stephen Hunt, Kevin Doyle, Steven Fletcher, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Marcus Bent.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves are optimistic summer signing Stephen Hunt will be finally able to make his debut in mid-October.

Hunt has been sidelined with a foot injury since making the move from Hull.

But he has stepped up his rehabilitation programme in the past week and Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is hopeful he will be available after the next international break.

McCarthy said: "We've got five games coming up and then we get another international break.

"If we get him back after that two-week break, and if he was fit to start, that would be fantastic.

"That's what we're probably aiming at. I think he's still on target to be ready in October."

Another Wolves player in Steven Mouyokolo has returned to full training following thigh and ankle injuries.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy is bristling, he is terribly indignant that his side are definitely not bullies.

Oh no. He says: "I think this perception that we're a team roughing people up is completely wrong.

"People like to hang tags on things but don't go labelling us a dirty side. We play our football and we compete. We tackle properly and we're going to continue doing the same. If you don't stand up to it, you get beat."

You 'tackle properly', Mick?

Shame the referees don't agree...

Fouls conceded by Wolves in their opening three Premier League games: 55.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves winger Matt Jarvis has signed a new five-year deal, committing him to Molineux until 2015.

Jarvis, 22, had two years left on his remaining contract but the club have sought to tie him up following a debut season in the top flight which saw him make 34 Premier League appearances.

"We've been talking to Matt and his representative for a long period of time," said Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey. "He was very keen to commit to us and we were very keen to commit to him."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Midfielder David Jones insists he wants to stay with Wolves despite his long-term future still being unresolved.

The former Manchester United player is in the final year of his current contract.

Talks have been on hold for a couple of months but Jones is adamant he wants to remain at Molineux and has a good working relationship with manager Mick McCarthy.

Jones said: "There is not an issue between me and the manager. He doesn't deal with the contract side of things.

"He wants me to sign. Obviously I want to get it sorted. I want to stay with the club. I have been happy during my time here.

"We said we were leaving things as they were and would be coming back to the table in a couple of months.

"That is definitely still the case.

"It has proved to be an excellent move for me. The manager has said publicly that he wants me to stay so hopefully it will get sorted out."

Jones added: "On a daily basis I am just concentrating on my football. Football is the main thing for me.

"It would be different if you were an ordinary man in the street with your future up in the air.

"But, as a footballer, you cannot let it affect you."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves midfielder Adlene Guedioura could be out for up to six months after fracturing his tibia in yesterday's Barclays Premier League defeat to Aston Villa.

The Algerian sustained the injury in the closing stages of the 2-1 loss following a challenge from Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell.

"It's desperately disappointing news both for Adlene and the club," said Wolves boss Mick McCarthy.

Guedioura was carried off on a stretcher and further assessment this morning has revealed the severity of the injury with the club expecting him to be out of action for between four and six months.

"It is going to be a lengthy absence but on the plus side the consultant has told us it's an uncomplicated fracture," Steve Kemp, Head of Wolves' medical department, told the club's official website.

"In these situations that's as good as it gets.

"Adlene will be in a full leg non weight-bearing cast for four weeks before progressing to a partial weight-bearing cast after that."

Guedioura joined Wolves on a permanent basis in the summer following a successful spell on loan from Charleroi.

This season he started both Carling Cup victories while coming off the bench in four of the six Premier League fixtures played so far.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:23 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
I am sure Matt Murray played for Cardiff on loan. Was a decent keeper fair play. Shame for him to be forced to retire so early.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:12 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Sparkys kneecap wrote:
I am sure Matt Murray played for Cardiff on loan. Was a decent keeper fair play. Shame for him to be forced to retire so early.

Murray would have been England's number one but for being Owen Hargreaves esque.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves defender Jelle van Damme has hinted he could leave the club as he is struggling to settle in England.

The 26-year-old joined Wolves from Anderlecht in a £2.5million deal this summer, but he has so far failed to adapt to life away from Belgium.

The left-back has seen his time at Molineux plagued by injuries and he has yet to play a full game for Wolves since his arrival.

The former Southampton man has now conceded he is struggling to settle at Wolves and admits that he is missing Belgium.

"My adjustment is difficult not sporting but socially," Van Damme told Het Laatste Nieuws.

"My wife is still in Belgium and is expecting our second child in November. Even if they would be here, I miss the life I had in Belgium.

"Anderlecht in Belgium will always be my club, I'm still in touch with the coach and some players."

Reports in Belgium claim Anderlecht are exploring the possibility of taking Van Damme back on loan when the transfer window reopens in January.

However, Anderlecht general manager Herman van Holsbeeck has played down talk linking them with a move to bring Van Damme back to the club.

Van Holsbeeck said: "I hear Jelle is unhappy in England, but Wolverhampton has paid €3million for him.

"It is a difficult case, even if we would like to hire him in January. Wolverhampton does not give him to us for 2.5million francs."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wolves striker Kevin Doyle has jumped to the defence of skipper Karl Henry after his sending off at Wigan.

Henry was given a straight red card after ten minutes for a dangerous tackle on Wigan midfielder Jordi Gomez.

Wolves have come in for criticism in some quarters for their physical approach, but Doyle insists Henry is not a dirty player.

"Karl is a very clean and fair player. He apologised to all the lads at the end of the game," said Doyle.

"He is not a dirty player although we could not argue with the red card.

"The only thing I hope it doesn't do is influence referees in situations where they think Wolves put in a few dirty tackles.

"Over the course of the season we will show that we are not (a dirty side). If you look at it last year, we were one of the fairest sides in the league and I'm sure we will be again this season."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Michael Kightly will try to boost his recovery from injury by undergoing surgery this week.

The highly rated wideman has been out for almost a year after suffering problems with his patella tendons and will go under the knife in a bid to get back into first-team action.

Kightly, who starred for Wanderers in their Championship title-winning season in 2009, picked up the knee trouble while recovering from an ankle ailment incurred during last November's defeat to local rivals Birmingham.

And, despite undertaking extensive rehabilitation to remedy the tendon trouble, the 24-year-old flew out to Sweden on Tuesday to see a world-renowned surgeon in a bid to speed up the healing process.

"It's been almost a year now since I played, and so we've decided to try something different to try and speed up my recovery," Kightly told the club's official website.

"On a couple of occasions I've actually stepped up my rehab and got close to getting back only to not quite make it.

"So I'm going to have the operation in Sweden to try and push my recovery on.

"There is still no timescale on my recovery but I'm feeling positive and hoping that this will help me complete my recovery."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Headline from The Daily Mail: 'Wolves left furious at let-off for Fabregas.'

Quotes from Mick McCarthy, oddly not reported by The Mail: "Fabregas has been in to apologise and Wardy has accepted it like a man and I wish everyone would stop whingeing about tackling and complaining. It wasn't a bad tackle. I've no problem with it at all. It happens...I said to Arsene I've no problem with the tackle and I really appreciate the apology."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Karl "The Butcher" Henry..
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

... he's been butchered

Quote:
HENRY INJURY BLOW FOR WOLVES
Posted 22/11/10 15:33

Wolves captain Karl Henry is set to miss the next two months of the season with a knee injury.

Manager Mick McCarthy has confirmed that the 28-year-old midfielder is set for a spell on the sidelines after picking up the injury against Blackpool on Saturday.

"Karl is out for two months with medial knee ligament damage," McCarthy said today.

"He's had a scan and I think there's a slight tear.

"It's a huge blow, especially with Dave Edwards out with a thigh strain.

"Karl's been great and he's been an ever-present unless he's been injured - and the injuries he's had have been serious, with his knee and damaged spleen. It's a big loss."

Post subject: Re: Karl "The Butcher" Henry..
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:45 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Teams playing Wolves in the next two months can breathe a collective sigh of relief! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next