AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: Everton News & Views
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Romelu Lukaku says he wants to win the biggest trophies in football, but is happy at Everton as long as they keep improving.

Lukaku, who joined Everton from Chelsea in 2013 on loan before a £28m move a year later, sees his contract run out in the summer of 2019, but is routinely linked with a move away from Goodison Park.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News HQ, the 23-year-old Belgian added that he leaves all contract talks with the club to his agent, and that he just wants to play his football.

"Obviously I want to win the biggest trophies there are, as much as I can, but for me I have to keep on going like I am.

"If you want to become one of the best world players - if you look at the like of Messi, Ronaldo, Thierry Henry - they were players who were constantly improving, constantly getting better.

"That's what I want to do, I don't want to peak too early, I want to keep on getting better year after year."

Asked about his future at the club, he said: "My agent is doing the talks with the club. I just want to play football. For me the most important thing is that the team does well. And that the fans are happy we are winning.

"My agent is doing the talks. You can see on the pitch that I am really happy with the way we are performing right now, and we have to continue like that."

Everton have been on fine form of late, and are sitting just six points off the top four having gone unbeaten in their last nine.

Lukaku is joint-top scorer in the Premier League with 17, and says he has altered his style this season to run more and put pressure on defences, just as manager Ronald Koeman demands.

"What do I do more this season? Working harder, I run more, that's first of all. I got more consistency and the manager wants me to do more on the pitch too. It's been good, I am learning a lot, and I feel much better about how we are playing now, and I want to keep on improving like the rest of the team needs to do.

"In modern football managers don't just want strikers to attack, they want their strikers to defend, put pressure on the defence, and with my pace if I can force a mistake it can be to my benefit. I have the winning mentality and drive so I'm happy with that."

Asked if ending the season as the Premier League's top scorer is his ultimate aim, Lukaku said it is more important that Everton improve and get into Europe.

"It's a little ambition, but for me personally it is to get into Europe, that would be nice. You have to score to do that.

"To be honest I want to win at Tottenham, and for the rest I don't look too much forward. I think my problem before was that I was looking forward too much, and not focusing on the present.

"I want day-by-day objectives and to improve every day."

This guy needs to be playing in the CL to show what he can do at the very top level he is one of the worlds top strikers and it shows the power of the PL now that a club with the 7th biggest budget in the league can afford to keep a player of his quality but he needs to step up to that CL level soon be that with Everton or someone else.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Everton striker Romelu Lukaku, 23, has agreed a new contract with the club worth £110,000 a week - but the deal, which runs until 2022, includes an exit clause if one of Europe's top clubs wants to buy the Belgium international. (Mirror)

Alternatively, Lukaku's new five-year deal could instead be worth £140,000 a week. (Daily Star)

The exit clause isn't a surprise really given how he's progressing but as long as it's set at a figure where Everton get a good fee I don't see the problem.

IMO this guy should be playing for a club in the Champions League can he help get Everton to that level? Probably if they can get the right players in to help him BUT I think it wont be long before he's on the move.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Apparently the stumbling block on this being completed is the buyout clause. Everton want the figure to be around £90m.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:19 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bet his agent is getting some some of cut of that like he did with Pogba that guy isn't an idiot his job once Lukaku signs that contract is to find a club who are prepared to pay it that way Everton, Lukaku and the agent get rich.

If he signs for 5 years and you get 2 more years from a 30 goals a season striker and then get £90m at the end that seems pretty good because especially if he can get you into the top 4 at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Romelu Lukaku is set to spark a summer transfer scramble after telling Everton he will not sign a new contract at Goodison Park. The news will be a crushing blow to Everton, who had hoped to persuade the striker to spearhead their European ambitions next season, with the backing of their majority shareholder, Farhad Moshiri.

The 23-year-old’s agent, Mino Raiola, had repeatedly insisted Lukaku would accept lucrative new terms and claimed the player had agreed “99.9%” of the £100,000-a-week deal that would have made him the best-paid player in the club’s history. Everton were informed of the striker’s intentions on Tuesday afternoon following a training session. Raiola recently said there were “no problems between the player and the club but Ronald Koeman was more circumspect, adding: “I don’t believe agents.” The manager’s instinct appears to have been backed up by an interview Lukaku gave to French television when he said signing a new deal was not on his mind.

Asked whether he was about to sign the five-year contract on offer and if talks were taking place, the striker simply replied with the word “no” in each case.

The decision is thought to be based on Lukaku’s ambition to play in the Champions League and, despite having two years left on his contract, he will push for a move this summer. There will be no shortage of bidders for the Belgian’s services.

Chelsea made an inquiry about re-signing Lukaku last summer and Manchester United are also thought to be interested in the player who has scored 19 Premier League goals this season.

United’s main summer target is thought to be Antoine Griezmann, of Atlético Madrid, although they are hopeful of persuading Zlatan Ibrahimovic to stay on for another season.

Lukaku is aware he is coveted by clubs in the Champions League. His performances suggest he could hold his own at that level but Everton have no realistic chance of cracking the top four this season and it is hard to see how the situation could alter.

The way things stand, United could miss out on Champions League qualification, yet historically and financially they still remain a better bet than Everton, and certainly would be with Lukaku in their ranks.

Everton seem likely to be caught once again in the classic double bind that affects clubs on the periphery of the Champions League, that of having to sell their best players to the teams they are attempting to overtake.

The club had no official comment to make on the matter, though a Goodison insider indicated there was still much common ground between club and agent. “A deal is on the table and there is plenty of time,” he said. “There is hope all round that it will be signed.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Romelu Lukaku’s rejection of an improved Everton contract is “not an issue”, according to majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri.

It was revealed earlier this week that Lukaku had turned down the chance to become Everton’s first £100,000-plus-a-week player.

The striker is thought to be desperate to play Champions League football, and is aware that particular ambition is unlikely to be fulfilled over the next few seasons at Goodison Park. Maybe he should join Tottenham?

The main stumbling block over the contract offer is that Everton attempted to insert a £90million release clause, which Lukaku’s representatives attempted to lower to around £70m.

Chelsea have been linked with a move for their former player, while Manchester United are also reported to be interested.

But even though the Belgian has turned down the offer, the Toffees are not panicking.

“It is not an issue. We have a strong relationship with the player and his agent.

“We are very happy with Romelu and want to reward him. The club is committed to an improved contract – he is our player.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Everton reportedly believe Romelu Lukaku’s mother, Adolphine, is to blame for the striker’s refusal to sign a new contract at Goodison Park.

The Toffees have been rocked by Lukaku’s announcement this week that he wants to leave the club this summer to play Champions League football.

But following Raiola’s confidence that a new contract would be signed, the Belgium international was given time off to go home during Everton’s trip to Dubai last month and subsequently had a change of heart.

Now The Times report that Everton believe Adolphine was instrumental in Lukaku’s U-turn. They say she discussed her son’s desire to play in the Champions League and advised him to make snub a new deal in a bid to force a move this summer.

The 23-year-old striker has made no secret of his mother’s influence on his career, ironically crediting her with his original decision to join Everton three years ago.

Everton boss Ronald Koeman, meanwhile, who has urged supporters not to give Lukaku a hard time in Saturday’s clash with Hull.

Contesting Lukaku’s claims that Everton lack ambition, the Dutchman said: “Of course I am not happy about this. If Everton is not a club with a lot of ambition I would not be manager.

“But I am not so afraid about his situation because the player has more than two years on his contract.

“Everyone knows what can happen in football but you need to respect your contract.”

Scored 2 today taking his total to 21 in the league this season

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Jordan Pickford: Everton confirm £25m, rising to £30m, deal with Sunderland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40258852

Jordan Pickford has become the most expensive British keeper in history after Everton paid £25m - rising to what would be a club record £30m - to sign him from Sunderland.

The 23-year-old, who is on duty with England Under-21s, has signed a five-year contract at Goodison Park.

"It is a great club, a massive club and it is a great opportunity," he said.

Pickford made 29 Premier League appearances last season but could not prevent Sunderland being relegated.

A product of the Black Cats' academy - he joined the club aged eight - he has had spells on loan at Darlington, Alfreton Town, Burton Albion, Carlisle United, Bradford City and Preston.

Pickford made his first-team debut for Sunderland in a 3-1 FA Cup defeat by Arsenal in January 2016

He added: "Last season was my first in the Premier League so to get this opportunity with Everton now, to be able to go forward with my career and show everyone what I can do with Everton is unbelievable.

"This is an exciting time for the club and for me, too, with the ambition being shown. I just want to be the best I can be to help."

Manager Ronald Koeman added: "Jordan is a very talented young professional who also has a real hunger for success, and that's important for us as we now look to make further progress in the seasons ahead."

The deal is an initial £25m transfer fee with £5m of potential add-ons, making him the third most expensive keeper ever.

Gianluigi Buffon's move from Parma to Juventus in 2001 was reported to be worth 53m euros, or £32.6m at the time, while at current exchange rates, Ederson's 40m euros transfer to Manchester City last week is equivalent to £35m, which is a world record in sterling, but not euros.

Pickford's fee smashes the previous record for a British goalkeeper, when Koeman - then Southampton boss - paid £10m to sign Fraser Forster from Celtic in 2014.

Despite being 23, Pickford is eligible to play for the Under-21s as rules allow a select number of over-aged players in the squad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:42 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Davy Klaassen: Everton complete £23.6m signing of Ajax midfielder and captain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40297081

Everton have completed the £23.6m signing of Ajax captain Davy Klaassen on a five-year deal.

The Netherlands midfielder, 24, has made 163 appearances, scoring 49 goals, since his debut for Ajax in 2011, winning three Eredivisie titles.

"It is difficult to leave Ajax but I think this is a good step for me now," Klaassen told Everton's website.

Everton earlier signed Jordan Pickford, 23, from Sunderland for £25m - a British record fee for a goalkeeper.

Klaassen joins Pickford as another new signing with manager Ronald Koeman determined to build on last season's seventh place that brought them Europa League football.

The 2016 Dutch footballer of the year skippered the Ajax side that lost to Manchester United in last season's Europa League final.

He became a priority signing for Koeman as doubts persist over the future of fellow midfielder Ross Barkley, 23, who has been told he will be sold if he fails to sign a new contract at Goodison Park.

Klaassen added: "The moment that I spoke with the manager directly I got a good feeling. He is an honest guy, we talked about the club, about the way he wants to play and that gave me a positive feeling."

Koeman said: "He is a player who is only 24 but has a lot of experience and is a leader on the pitch. He has already captained Ajax for two seasons and that shows you the type of person he is.

"He is hardworking, likes to press and, of course, will give us more creativity and goals."

The Toffees have also been strongly linked with a £16m move for AC Milan striker M'Baye Niang. The 22-year-old had a spell on loan in the Premier League at Watford last season.

Director of football Steve Walsh was seen in Milan on Wednesday as he pursues a selection of high-profile Everton transfer targets.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Must be fairly happy with your summer so far MIG

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:06 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Very happy, its been a good start.
We are apparently close to announcing our third signing, possibly today. Sandro Ramirez from Malaga for £5.2m!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
He seems an absolute bargain. Was going to head to Atletico who have a good eye for a striker but then their transfer ban came in.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Won't be a great transfer window until you've signed Rooney :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Rumours flying all over the place that its happening this week. Still not a fan of the move myself but if it goes through I'll keep an open mind like in any other transfer.
Be much happier if we sign Giroud as well though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So now it's a done deal how do you feel about it?

The Giroud chat has gone quiet again but Siggurdson seems to be going around but surely with Rooney & Klaasen in do Everton need another number 10 surely they need a guy like Giroud to replace the threat in the air that came from Lukaku.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I'm still pretty sceptical about the Rooney deal. He has been in such rapid decline over the last couple of years its a worry that he will continue to do so. The only hope is that the move back to us will rejuvenate him but that remains to be seen. He looks very happy to be back and Koeman and (most of) the fans seem happy to have him so lets wait and see I guess.

I think Koeman/Walsh's plans are to replace Lukaku's goals all over the pitch which is why we are going for so many players rather than one big name striker although they may surprise us further with that yet I guess.

Linked with Giroud, Dzeko and Benteke now. Not sure any of them will come off. The transfers that have been confirmed so far have all been much stronger rumours than any of the above. Would still love to get Giroud but would be almost as happy with Dzeko.

Sigurdsson just seems a case of will we pay over the odds to get him. I think if Barkley leaves then lets just pay the money and we have a ready made replacement.

Van Dijk would put the icing on the cake for me but I think I need to get my feet back on the floor. This transfer window has got me far too optimistic for my liking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the Rooney one is what he can also bring off the field he's got a wealth of experience that he can add to the dressing room of winning trophies and competing at the very top and he's highly motivated to a) bring a trophy to Everton & b) get himself back in the England squad for the World Cup. However, you can't just ignore the last 3 seasons and assume he'll be able to turn it on again it'll be interesting to see where Koeman will actually play him.

The Barkley stuff is interesting as realistically where can he go? The sides above Everton aren't going to pay silly money for him as none of them need him and he isn't good enough to go into their first teams he'd be going to these clubs as a squad player and with 1 year on his deal Everton can't demand silly money. I think if they got £25-30m for him they've done well the clubs who I think would want him and would build around him would be tems like Stoke, West Brom, West Ham, Southampton or Bournemouth which is a step down from Everton. He's put himself in a very dodgy position the logical thing would be to sign a new contract at Everton and fight for his place but it feels like Koeman would rather sell him and move on.

I think the defence is probably ok like you say getting a guy like Dzeko or Giroud would probably be the icing on the cake and maybe a creative wide player who can create chances and chip in with some goals.

Even with all that business done unless one of the top 6 sides under performs next season I still think Everton will finish 7th as the sides above them all have stronger starting teams which they're still adding to. The only one who feel like they're on a downer is Arsenal especially if they lose Sanchez it feels like the wheels could continue to come off for them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:46 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I think Barkley has made a bit of a mistake and agree he should just sign a contract and fight for his place but its hard to know what's going on behind the scenes, he's certainly unhappy or unsure about something. He does get an awful lot of abuse from sections of the Everton fans.

I'm not going to expect anything better than 7th at the moment (although not impossible), but at the very least I would like people to start seeing it as a top 7 instead of a top 6. And a trophy please!!!

Lots of time for further deals to take place especially at other clubs so this is all very early for predictions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:00 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Barkley now being linked to Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and City. Not sure if its just made up paper talk as nothing has been heard from Barkley himself for quite some time. The fact he is injured could mess up any plans he has to leave, if that is his plan. No one knows!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

MIG wrote:
Barkley now being linked to Spurs, Arsenal, United, Chelsea and City. Not sure if its just made up paper talk as nothing has been heard from Barkley himself for quite some time. The fact he is injured could mess up any plans he has to leave, if that is his plan. No one knows!

Seems to me like he wants to leave maybe just wants a fresh start and maybe wants to get himself out of Liverpool lots of eyes on him in that city being a local lad playing for Everton comes with added pressure.

Just don't see the clubs you've mentioned actually going for him though as he can't get in the Everton side at times so what makes him think he can get into the sides who generally finish above them.

Spurs is the only one I can see who might be interested at the right price and wages obviously but he'd be a Sissoko replacement to give them squad depth not a guaranteed starter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next