It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Liverpool V Birmingham City - 09/11
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv wrote:
Liverpool V Birmingham City

Under normal circumstances in other seasons this would be such an obvious prediction but Liverpool are struggling and with Gerrard and Torres both doubtful and both possibly needing surgery on injuries 2009/2010 could be shaping up to be Liverpool's worst season for many a year.

A draw against City and a victory against Sunderland are 2 results that surprised me a little , I tink they will lose this game but if they can frustrate Liverpool ealry on they might, just might get something.

Mystic Jarv predicts a 2-0 win for Liverpool

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Liverpool V Birmingham City - 09/11
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:23 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Question is guys, do you think Torres will play? Can't decide whether or not to transfer him out of my FF team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

breakingintoheaven wrote:
Question is guys, do you think Torres will play? Can't decide whether or not to transfer him out of my FF team.

I think he will be on the bench as Ngog is fit again.

I must remember to drop Stevie G as i doubt we'll see him for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Liverpool will be without Jamie Carragher and Philipp Degen for the clash against Birmingham at Anfield on Monday.

The pair are starting their suspensions after they were sent off against Fulham last weekend.

There is better news on the injury front at last for Liverpool. Martin Skrtel (virus) and Fabio Aurelio (calf) are back in the squad.

Albert Riera (hamstring) is also close to a comeback, but there are still doubts over Glen Johnson and Martin Kelly, while Liverpool are still assessing the groin problems affecting Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres.

Birmingham midfielder Barry Ferguson is suspended.

The former Scotland international was sent off for two bookable offences during Sunday's goalless draw with Manchester City and could be replaced by Lee Carsley.

On-loan goalkeeper Joe Hart is available after being ineligible to face his parent club although deputy Maik Taylor impressed against Mark Hughes' side.

Winger Keith Fahey is battling to overcome a knock to his knee in training but striker Garry O'Connor is still troubled by a groin problem and is a doubt.

Teams:

Liverpool (from): Reina, Aurelio, Darby, Agger, Skrtel, Kyrgiakos, Insua, Lucas, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt, Babel, Benayoun, Voronin, Ngog, Cavalieri, Spearing, Riera, Torres, Gerrard, Ayala, Plessis.

Birmingham (from): Hart, Taylor, Carr, Parnaby, Johnson, Dann, Queudrue, Ridgewell, Vignal, Larsson, Bowyer, Carsley, Fahey, McFadden, McSheffrey, Jerome, Benitez, Phillips, O'Connor, Doyle.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Liverpool's fans will finally get the chance to welcome £20million Alberto Aquilani to Anfield on Monday night.

The Italy international, signed in August, has been recovering from a knee operation since.

Now, having also overcome a recent virus problem, the 25-year-old seems certain to make his Barclays Premier League debut for the club against Birmingham at Anfield.

The fans have waited so long to see the man bought to replace Xabi Alonso, so he can expect a hero's reception.

Certainly his appearance in the squad will give Liverpool's worried support something to cheer with fitness doubts surrounding Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard.

Manager Rafael Benitez looks likely to name Aquilani on the bench, and give him the opportunity of a cameo appearance in the second half.

Benitez said: "It could be the time to let the Anfield fans see Aquilani at last.

"He has been getting fitter and had a short spell in a reserve game and then a few minutes at Arsenal in the Carling Cup.

"We had him with us in Lyon last week and I did want to bring him on. But Lucas and Javier Mascherano were controlling the game.

"So we waited a bit, we did not want to change they way the side were playing, even though he could have come on. Then we scored and there was no need to use him, it was just a shame we conceded so late.

"He was almost over the virus and he will certainly be much better on Monday.

"He has trained well. He does not have match fitness, but the only way to improve that is to play him in games.

"We have more players available now, so maybe he can be on the bench and then come on to change the game if necessary. He will certainly be involved."

Torres has the better chance of being involved against the Midlanders as he struggles with a groin problem.

Gerrard has barely trained for a fortnight, but Benitez was pleased with his involvement in a training session yesterday and his chances of facing Birmingham improved.

Fabio Aurelio, Martin Skrtel and Albert Riera are also likely to return from injuries. Glen Johnson has also improved his after training this weekend, but he and Martin Kelly are still struggling.

Benitez at least needs Torres on the pitch for a game Liverpool must win to keep themselves in contention for a top four place.

He said: "We hope to be able to keep going with Fernando. Maybe he can be available for Birmingham, we will see how it goes.

"It was a risk to play him against Manchester United, but he scored a fantastic goal and everyone was saying what a massive difference he makes.

"He played, and scored, at Fulham and I was criticised by a lot of 'experts' because he was taken off in the second half.

"They can see that he has a problem, but the same thing happened in Lyon when I took him off.

"You cannot win. It does not matter what you do, someone will always criticise you. It is too easy.

"Fernando will play if he continues to have less pain than before. Does he need an operation? Nobody really knows, we'll wait and see.

"I have had many players with this problem under my management over the years. They carried on, and sometimes you can play for the whole season with such a problem.

"But I have been surprised at what some critics have said about Torres' involvement. People who have played football for years seem not to understand that the manager has more information.

"So when they are on TV, they just talk and they do not really know the situation."

And Benitez insisted: "I have enough experience to cope. I understand how our club is treated by the pundits in England, and the things that critics say and why.

"Hopefully people who do understand the game will know how difficult it is to manage a team like ours. I hope they can be more respectful and know we are trying to do our job here in a difficult situation.

"We have a lot of confidence in our team, our squad, our staff and especially our fans to understand what we are doing."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:30 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

1 - 1. Benitez scores for Birmingham. Confused? You could be !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:51 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

2 - 1 Birmingham. A screeeeeeeeeeeeeamer of a goal !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

that's a belter :sofa:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
that's a belter :sofa:

'Course, it's what I would class as a "sidefooter" if it were me. :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

http://www.atdhe.net/10402/watch-liverp ... ngham-city

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Absolute belter than one I assumed it had been deflected as I didn't think jerome had that in his locker.

Gerrard on though interesting to see how fit he is as they need him. 2 week rest for him is key as I still think him and torres will be off if they crash out of Europe with a world cup coming up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:35 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Ya gotta feel for Carsley. He never touched the guy !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

2-2 Gerrard penalty.

Ngog dived but carskey was crazy to dive in there as ngog was looking for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:02 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Liverpool 2 - 2 Birmingham

A controversial penalty by Steven Gerrard salvaged a draw for Liverpool as their faltering season continued against Birmingham at Anfield.

Gerrard scored from the spot to make it 2-2 after David Ngog had appeared to dive over a Lee Carsely tackle.

Ngog had earlier given the Reds the lead when he smashed in a far post volley but Christian Benitez levelled when he nodded a well-worked set piece.

Cameron Jerome's 30-yard strike shocked the Reds before Gerrard's equaliser.

More to follow.

:no:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A controversial penalty by Steven Gerrard salvaged a draw for Liverpool as their faltering season continued against Birmingham at Anfield.

Gerrard scored from the spot to make it 2-2 after David Ngog had appeared to dive over a Lee Carsely tackle.

Ngog had earlier put the Reds ahead when he smashed in a far-post volley but Christian Benitez levelled when he nodded in a well-worked set piece.

Cameron Jerome's 30-yard strike shocked the Reds before Gerrard's equaliser.

Birmingham were angered by referee Peter Walton's penalty decision given as Carsley did not seem to make any contact with Ngog.

But despite a half-fit Gerrard, who had only come on because of an injury to Albert Riera, slotting in from 12 yards the result will only heap further pressure on Reds manager Rafael Benitez after a game Liverpool were expected to win.

Liverpool's defensive solidity has been their strength during Benitez's reign but the foundations he has laid have been on rocky ground this season and again undermined their play.

The home side had taken a patient and calm approach to the match before gradually raising the tempo and taking the lead.

Glen Johnson was having plenty of joy down the right flank and, after weaving between two defenders, he pulled the ball back for Ngog, whose initial shot was saved by Joe Hart.

Hart scampered across his goal to fend away Dirk Kuyt's follow-up but the Blues keeper had no chance when Riera crossed to the far post for Ngog to smash a left-foot volley into the roof of the net.

The Reds were in control, only to let their weakness in defence allow the visitors back into a game they rarely looked like making an impact on.

Former Everton midfielder James McFadden swung a Blues free-kick to the far post and, after being headed on by Roger Johnson and Scott Dann, Christian Benitez nodded in from close range.

The goal gave Birmingham encouragement and the visitors had an extra air of belief about them as they repelled some concerted Liverpool pressure with the home side looking to re-establish their grip on the game.

Hart tipped over a 25-yard strike from Javier Mascherano before the Blues defence cleared a tamely-struck Lucas Leiva side-footed shot off the line.

Liverpool brought Gerrard on when Riera went off with a hamstring problem but their unfit captain could do little as the visitors took the lead in spectacular fashion.

Jerome controlled Dann's headed ball forward, fended off the irritation of Mascherano and unleashed a thunderous shot which dipped over keeper Reina.

The Reds piled on the pressure in response and it almost paid off, only for Gerrard to head a Glen Johnson cross against the outside of the post from eight yards.

Birmingham defended in numbers with an admirable bravery which saw the particularly impressive centre-backs Dann and Roger Johnson flinging their bodies at crosses and shots to keep the home side at bay.

However, they conceded an equaliser in controversial circumstances as Gerrard, who looked a constant threat even when nursing an injury, sent Hart the wrong way from the spot.

The Anfield crowd were now staunchly behind their team and Ngog side-footed wide after Gerrard powered in a cross to the near post in an exciting finale.

However, a winner eluded the Reds and they remain seventh in the Premier League, while Benitez is still without a league win over Birmingham in seven attempts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Penalty incident
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/3879679/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Liverpool do seem to be getting some help from the officials of late, thats a shocking decision to give that. Still 2 more points dropped at home, Not looking good for Rafa, November 10th and Liverpool are realistically competing for fourth, i didn't see that coming.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:13 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
It's just not going for Liverpool atm. All that pressure liverpool pushed on Birmingham and yet Birmingham had two attempts and scored twice.
:shrug:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:36 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Just watched the video, cheers TNB. 'kin ell if that dive had been by Rooney the hoohah would persist through the international break!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I can pinpoint the exact second when it became obvious that Birmingham would score at Anfield on Monday night.

The clock in the corner of the screen read 20:45 as The Waddler confidently predicted: "I just can't see Birmingham scoring here."

Oh and we're pleased to report that The Waddler still thinks it's pronounced 'pelanty'.

ImageImage
Quote: