Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 17/10 - Sunderland V Liverpool
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Loopy Lawro wrote:
I'll go for a draw here. Sunderland's performance at Old Trafford must give them belief that they can push on and finish at least halfway in this league.

I think their main problem in recent times has been how they play when they haven't got the ball, but Steve Bruce has started to change that for the better.

Liverpool had a bit of a scare with injuries to Fernando Torres and Steven Gerrard over the international break, but if they are fit now then the rest might have done them some good.

Verdict: 2-2

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 17/10 - Sunderland V Liverpool
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:26 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

sunderland 0 - pool 4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv wrote:
Sunderland V Liverpool

Liverpool apparently have worries over both Gerrard and Torres however i'm betting both will play. Liverpools defence hasn't looked as good as in previous years and Jones and Bent ill put them under lots of pressure at home and if Sunderland play like they did against United they have a good chance of getting something from this game.

Mystic Jarv predicts a 2-1 win for Sunderland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Jarv wrote:
Mystic Jarv wrote:
Sunderland V Liverpool

Liverpool apparently have worries over both Gerrard and Torres however i'm betting both will play. Liverpools defence hasn't looked as good as in previous years and Jones and Bent ill put them under lots of pressure at home and if Sunderland play like they did against United they have a good chance of getting something from this game.

Brave prediction :thumbup: :pray:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

more hope than confidence but without Torres and Gerrard its not going to be an easy game for Liverpool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm not looking forward to this one. I would still hope that we've got enough ability without Torres and Gerrard, but it's going to mean a couple of other players stepping up to the mark. Hopefully Kuyt will be used up front rather than Voronin or Ngog, and then we need Benny/Riera to pick up the slack in midfield. I'm going 2-1 Liverpool.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:52 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Joshua_Tree wrote:
Jarv wrote:
Mystic Jarv wrote:
Sunderland V Liverpool

I hope Mystic Jarv is on form :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:54 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

not looking forward to this one, no gerrard, no torres, think we depend on them two too much

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

5 mins, 1-0, bent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:56 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7

Will get taken down soon, I expect.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:19 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

ahhh fcuk

:rant:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:23 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

THE KID WHO THREW THE BALLOON APPEARS TO BE SCOUSE :

BRILLIANT video... :yay: :winkkiss:

kids gonna get abused for life if they lose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:23 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sunderland 1-0 Liverpool

The Black Cats took the lead when a Darren Bent shot was allowed to stand after deflecting in off a balloon.

But the home side were inspired and Bent glanced a header just wide before hitting the post with an angled shot.

Sunderland keeper Craig Gordon pulled off a double save from Dirk Kuyt and David Ngog late on to secure the win.

A fourth defeat of the league season, it will only add to the question marks over Liverpool's title credentials as they were outplayed without injured midfielder Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres.

Ahead of a week in which they face a crucial Champions League tie against Lyon and host Manchester United, they only added weight to critics who label them a two-man team.

Liverpool were lethargic and looked at unease with a 5-4-1 formation manager Rafael Benitez had opted for as he tried to cope with injuries and tiredness after the recent internationals.

Benitez was probably hoping that full-backs Glen Johnson and Fabio Aurelio as well as wingers Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun would have more of an impact to give his tactics more of an attacking impact.

But Sunderland, with a capacity crowd behind them, did not let Liverpool settle and aggressively took control of the game before being rewarded with the lead in somewhat fortunate circumstances.

Bent's shot went in off a balloon and - to compound Liverpool's misery - it was one punched on to the pitch by one of their own fans.

Sunderland were the opposite of Liverpool as they showed the greater desire and dynamism, with the midfield axis of Lorik Cana and Lee Cattermole proving a forceful and tireless presence.

The home side's manager had challenged his players to produce the consistency in performance which earned an impressive 2-2 draw at Manchester United last time out and they did not disappoint.

Liverpool were limited to long range strikes and Babel, Aurelio and Premier League debutant Jay Spearing each put efforts wide as Sunderland's defence stood firm.

Bent nearly added to Sunderland's lead when he got on the end of a Phil Bardsley cross - after Reina had missed the ball - but the striker glanced a header went agonisingly wide.

He also pounced on a Martin Skrtel's headed passback only to nod past Reina and shoot against the outside of the post from a tight angle.

Sunderland suffered the loss of influential duo Cattermole and striker Kenwyne Jones but coped admirably as they held off a Liverpool side lacking ideas.

Benitez and Bruce exchanged angry words on the touchline with the Spaniard accusing Sunderland of time wasting as the visitors searched for an equaliser.

Referee Mike Jones allowed seven minutes of injury time and Liverpool nearly took advantage only for Gordon to keep out Kuyt's drive before blocking the follow-up from David Ngog.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:00 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Was this the last straw for Rafa?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:11 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

will save judgement till after MOTD james, either way not happy, season is already over, not long into a new contract, will cost us to much money to get rid of him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

mr stew wrote:
will save judgement till after MOTD james, either way not happy, season is already over, not long into a new contract, will cost us to much money to get rid of him

He needs to hope Aquilani comes good imo when he's fit otherwise his decision to splash the Alonso cash on a player who he knew wouldn't be fit until 10 games in is very questionable.

Fact is Sunderland are a tough team to play they showed that against us 2 weeks ago they should of won that game and you were without your two big hitters.

Fact remains the first XI of Liverpool can compete with anyone but like last season the back up just isn't there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:22 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

JSP wrote:
mr stew wrote:

He needs to hope Aquilani comes good imo when he's fit otherwise his decision to splash the Alonso cash on a player who he knew wouldn't be fit until 10 games in is very questionable.

Fact is Sunderland are a tough team to play they showed that against us 2 weeks ago they should of won that game and you were without your two big hitters.

Fact remains the first XI of Liverpool can compete with anyone but like last season the back up just isn't there.

totally agree with ya on that signing, will could either be a genius move or c0ck up of all proportons, signing a player you know is injured as a replacment, one is that is going to require rehab, i just hope he is as good as he is expected to be

what happened to our other new signing as well, the greek fella, have seen hardly any of him as well

would love to know what happens in that guys head some times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

mr stew wrote:
JSP wrote:
mr stew wrote:

totally agree with ya on that signing, will could either be a genius move or c0ck up of all proportons, signing a player you know is injured as a replacment, one is that is going to require rehab, i just hope he is as good as he is expected to be

what happened to our other new signing as well, the greek fella, have seen hardly any of him as well

That's Krygyktyekrka(tongue twister) - he hadd a knee knock from international duty i recall though he was supposed to be available.

Surprised ... not with the score (after Sunderland vs us and you guys with no Dynamic Duo) but that no one busted the balloon before that happened. I recall another balloon goal in the league last year too..or year before?!

EDIT: A beach ball i now realise - even worse! How could Reina let that stay there? He deserved that... something as hard as that could trip you and they al left it there??

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:53 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
mr stew wrote:
JSP wrote:
mr stew wrote:

That's Krygyktyekrka(tongue twister) - he hadd a knee knock from international duty i recall though he was supposed to be available.

Surprised ... not with the score (after Sunderland vs us and you guys with no Dynamic Duo) but that no one busted the balloon before that happened. I recall another balloon goal in the lague alst eyar too..or eyar before?!

was actually a beach ball so more difficult to bust but really should have kicked it off

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:59 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
Joshua_Tree wrote:
Jarv wrote:
Mystic Jarv wrote:
Sunderland V Liverpool

I hope Mystic Jarv is on form :wink:

Correct team, correct margin, not bad effort from the AGR mystic :thumb: