AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Who will Win this one?
United 80%  80%  [ 12 ]
City 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Draw 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: 20/09 - Man Utd Vs Man City - Plus The Injury Time Debate
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

With Emmanuel Adebayor likely to be banned, the good news for Manchester City fans is that another £25m striker in Carlos Tevez could be available for Sunday's Old Trafford derby.

Robinho is out for a month with an ankle injury and Roque Santa Cruz is yet to play this season because of a knee problem, but Mark Hughes says that Tevez is "desperate" to face his old club.

"The only ones we had fit for the Arsenal game were Adebayor and Bellamy but we're trying to get Tevez back now and we all know how desperate he is to play," says Hughes. "The Argentinian medical guys were saying he would need two to three weeks but we'd like to think, and hope, that it could be less than that."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 20/09 - Man Utd Vs Man City - 13:30
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:58 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm not going to be popular here, but 2-1 City. Might even use my bankers bonus on the AGR correct score league.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez is "very doubtful" to be fit for the game against his former team Manchester United on 20 September.

The Argentine injured his knee on international duty and despite earlier hopes to the contrary is unlikely to be fit for Sunday's match.

"The signs are not encouraging," assistant boss Mark Bowen told the club's official website.

"We wouldn't 100% rule him out, but it's very doubtful."

The potential loss of the former Manchester United player will be a big blow to City, who are already without Robinho due to an ankle problem.

And Emmanuel Adebayor could also miss out as a result of the Football Association disciplinary charges following the game against Arsenal.

The former Arsenal striker faces two charges relating to an alleged stamp on Robin van Persie and his celebrations after scoring City's third in a 4-2 win.

Roque Santa Cruz, a £17m summer signing from Blackburn, will also miss the game, but Bowen said the striker is close to making his debut.

"I doubt he will be available, but it's nice to see him back anyway," he said.

Robinho suffered a stress fracture of the ankle playing for Brazil in the game that also saw Tevez injure his knee.

The Argentine would have been particularly keen to line up against his former side given the circumstances of his departure from Old Trafford.

He became a fans' favourite after joining on loan in August 2007 but left because he was unhappy at the length of time it took United to offer him a permanent deal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Footballing lesson for citeh - 4 - 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping Rio Ferdinand will be fit for the Manchester derby after missing United's opening Champions League game against Besiktas.

United started their quest to regain the European crown with a 1-0 victory over Besiktas, with Paul Scholes heading the only goal 13 minutes from time.

However, the success was achieved without Ferdinand, who was forced to sit out a tight game in Istanbul with a groin injury.

The England international, who only returned from a calf injury in last weekend's 3-1 win at Tottenham, is now facing a race against time to be fit for the visit of Manchester City on Sunday.

"We'll have to wait and see," Ferguson told Sky Sports when asked whether the centre-half would be fit for the derby clash.

"He felt his groin in training after the game on Saturday and it wasn't worth the risk.

"He couldn't even make the bench, so we'll just have to give him time for Sunday."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

3-1 Utd for me.

We need our midfielders to be on top of there game to shut down Barry & Ireland as they'll be supplying the bullets for the attacking players (who luckily for us will be injured/suspended).

I still think they can be opened up at the back and I bet Rooney will be fired up and hopefully will keep his scoring run going and get himself a few.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:31 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
I think this'll be a draw myself. Neither side will give an inch and I think it will be very tight and cagey.

1-1 or 0-0. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:34 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
PMDK wrote:
I think this'll be a draw myself. Neither side will give an inch and I think it will be very tight and cagey.

The glass is always half empty with you PMDK :D

Two nil to us I'll predict.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:49 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
breakingintoheaven wrote:
PMDK wrote:

The glass is always half empty with you PMDK :D

Two nil to us I'll predict.

I know; its a curse. :(

United SHOULD win, but it's a derby and anything can happen. I just have a feeling it'll be a draw. :shrug:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its a derby and form often goes out the window :coat: :bolt:

if Tevez, Adebayor and Robinho are all missing i would hope we should be able to win, i expect it to be a tight game though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:12 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

This is the first derby at the Swamp where I have thought we can get something. I am fancying a draw. But, if we can scrape a win, man :D

MCFC - PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Monty wrote:
This is the first derby at the Swamp where I have thought we can get something. I am fancying a draw. But, if we can scrape a win, man :D

Less of the Swamp mate we don't refer to your ground as the council house apart from in the Utd board as we try to keep things peaceful in the shared forums :thumbup:

I think De Jong will be a big player for you in the same way Fletcher is for us in the big matches he'll shut down opposition midfields and I really rate him as a player.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:21 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I apologise man. I always get carried away on the week before the derby. After all, we all know it is City's cup final :p

MCFC - PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2011/12

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Monty wrote:
I apologise man. I always get carried away on the week before the derby. After all, we all know it is City's cup final :p

No worries we know it's only banter but we try to keep it friendly here just in case another city or utd fan is passing it might encourage them not to post.

I'm still trying to pick up a ticket off some of the season ticket holders round here but no one wants to miss this one as like you said before the playing field has been levelled somewhat with the spending.

The fact that Tevez isn't available might mean a better game as it wont be overshadowed by his return to a place where he was loved by the majority of fans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kolo Toure says Manchester City are relishing taking on the city rivals United at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Big-spending City have made an impressive start to the new Premier League campaign, winning all four of their league games to date on the back of heavy strengthening during the close season.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side remain the team to beat having won the title for the previous three seasons, although Toure believes City are full of confidence after dispatching Arsenal last weekend.

The Ivory Coast international insists City are desperate to crack the 'big four' and is predicting a fiercely-contested encounter.

"We're trying to get among the big four in this country," Toure told skysports.com. "We played well against Arsenal. To get three points against Arsenal was fantastic.

"No we have to go to Old Trafford and show our credentials. It'll be a difficult game for them and we're looking forward to playing.

"Man City will be a force this season because we have so many great and good players. Also we have so much experience."

Meanwhile, Toure has leapt to the defence of Emmanuel Adebayor, who has been hit with two FA charges in the wake of City's 4-2 win over Arsenal.

The Togo international has been charged with violent conduct for his challenge on Robin van Persie and has also been hit with an improper conduct charge for his goal celebration at Eastlands.

Toure believes his team-mate's apology should be the end of the matter, while he also thinks there was no malice in his challenge on Van Persie.

"Adebayor was crucial against Arsenal. He's already apologised and the matter is closed for us," he continued.

"He shouldn't be banned. The referee gave him a yellow card. The Van Persie incident was just an accident.

"We're behind him and he'll score so many goals this season because he's devoted to the club and he loves his football again."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

While Carlos Tevez is battling to be fit for Manchester City, United's main concern ahead of Sunday's derby is the fitness of Rio Ferdinand. He shrugged off a calf injury to face Tottenham on Saturday but then picked up a different ailment ahead of the Besiktas game.

"We'll have to wait and see [whether Ferdinand will play against City]," Ferguson told Sky Sports. "He felt his groin in training after the game on Saturday and it wasn't worth the risk.

"He couldn't even make the bench, so we'll just have to give him time for Sunday."

The news on Tevez is not good, with Manchester City assistant boss Mark Bowen admitting the Argentine is "very doubtful" for the Old Trafford clash.

"He is back here today and we'll assess it from there, but he is very doubtful," he told the club's website. "What we are hearing is that it's probably going to keep him out, but until the doctor assesses him hands-on we don't really know.

"We have been in contact with the Argentina medical team, as has our medical team. But the signs are not encouraging. We wouldn't 100% rule him out yet - fingers crossed and we are always hopeful, but it's very doubtful."

Bowen was pleased to report that Roque Santa Cruz has started training following knee surgery this summer but the Paraguayan is unlikely to face United, while Stephen Ireland should be okay to play.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Emmanuel Adebayor will miss the Manchester derby after not appealing the violent conduct charge lodged against him by the Football Association.

Adebayor had until 6pm on Wednesday to respond to the charge and in accepting it, has effectively condemned himself to a three-match ban.

The FA's disciplinary panel will formally sit in judgement on Thursday. But the punishment for such offences is automatic and it seems unlikely there will be any change in that stance.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:38 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 4
The one Man U have to watch out for is Bellamy ...... according to Micah Richards. :haha:

I know he had a pretty good game last week but somehow you have to think Ade and Tevez might have just got the nod ahead of him.

Its a massive shame for the "ahem" neutrals, I was really looking forward to the battle but somehow without the big guns it seems less mouth watering. Still if Shaun Goater can be inspired ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Lets beat this 'small club with a small mentality'.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:40 pm 
Captain
Captain

2-1 united :thumbup: Owen will score

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next