Total votes : 1
 Post subject: 12/09 - Stoke City V Chelsea - 15:00
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lawro Says

Quote:
Stoke v Chelsea

As good as Stoke are at home and the improvements they've made to their squad, I think Chelsea have a bit extra.

The transfer ban might even make them more resilient, if that's possible, and I like the fact they don't go there and bleat about things, they get on with doing a professional job.

Also, Carlo Ancelotti appreciates you have to have different ways on different days.

Verdict: 0-2

have you done your I know the score?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 12/09 - Stoke City V Chelsea - 15:00
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv wrote:
Stoke City V Chelsea

Stoke have started great 7 points from 4 games and are really tough to beat at home. I can see them giving it a really good go but Chelsea are flying this season, the remainder of the season may depend on whether the transfer ban affects them, willthey put it out of their minds, will it bring them together in a kind of siege mentality or will the distraction put them off their stride?

I've been wrong once already this season backing against Stoke at home but Chelsea are one of, if not the team to beat this season.

Mystic Jarv predicts a 2-1 win for Chelsea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I've gone 2-0 Chelsea. Expect them to keep a clean sheet against Stoke.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

there's always that chance with stoke they might get a goal from nothing a throwin or set piece which is why i went 2-1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Chelsea are one of the few teams who can deal with bully boy tactics.

Terry, Ballack, Drogba, Lampard, Mikel and Carvalho are all good in the air and Cech like VDS last season will come and take the long throws so I don't think the long ball will work to well against them.

I reckon 3-0 Chelsea (for the sake of my Fantasy Team a Drogba hat trick)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Stoke to win :) :winkkiss:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

James Beattie will require a late fitness test to see if he can play any part in Stoke's Barclays Premier League clash against Chelsea on Saturday.

The striker damaged knee ligaments against Birmingham three weeks ago but a course of sugar injections has speeded his recovery.

Stoke boss Tony Pulis will also assess his international quartet of Thomas Sorensen, Glenn Whelan, Liam Lawrence and Tuncay Sanli before finalising his starting line-up.

Chelsea midfielder Deco has been ruled out of the trip with a calf injury sustained on international duty with Portugal in midweek.

Midfielder Yuri Zhirkov is also out with a knee injury along with defender Alex (groin).

Joe Cole (knee) and Paulo Ferreira (knee) are back in training but not considered match fit as yet.

Teams:

Stoke (from): Sorensen, Wilkinson, Shawcross, Abdoulaye Faye, Higginbotham, Lawrence, Delap, Whelan, Etherington, Kitson, Fuller, Simonsen, Whitehead, Tuncay, Huth, Pugh, Griffin, Cresswell, Beattie, Cort, Amdy Faye.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Turnbull, Hilario, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Carvalho, A Cole, Ballack, Mikel, Lampard, Anelka, Drogba, Sturridge, Kalou, Malouda, Essien, Hutchinson, Belletti.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

1-0 Stoke.

Cech with another massive error.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
1-2 Chelsea, Malouda scores in the dying seconds of 5 mins added time :hmm:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Chelsea scrapes the win! Hard on Stoke.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Carlo Ancelotti saw his Chelsea side stretch their 100% record to five matches at the Britannia Stadium thanks to a goal in stoppage time from Florent Malouda.

The Italian coach must have been living on his nerves as Stoke threw themselves into every challenge and looked like taking a point.

However Chelsea kept plugging away and got their rewards when Malouda finished well following a knock back from Nicolas Anelka.

Stoke manager Tony Pulis has assembled a team that battles and scratches for every 50-50 ball.

It almost did the trick again and Chelsea were rattled, especially in the first half, and It is doubtful if they have had many tougher physical tests.

Stoke lost two players in the first half with James Beattie and then Thomas Sorensen going off injured but refused to cave in.

Chelsea got a taste of what was to come after two minutes when Ashley Cole lost possession when he was harried by Dave Kitson.

The striker raced on but his cross was poor and Jose Bosingwa was able to clear with ease.

Chelsea responded and Didier Drogba tested Sorensen from distance after the ball had been played back to him by Salomon Kalou.

Beattie should have put Stoke ahead in the ninth minute but scuffed a shot wide when clear on goal.

In the process he suffered an ankle injury and was stretchered off in considerable discomfort. He was replaced by Ricardo Fuller in the 11th minute.

Chelsea carved out another chance in the 23 minute when Bosingwa surged forward but Dean Whitehead made a good block.

Stoke made the breakthrough in the 32nd minute after Glenn Whelan swung in a cross from the right.

Skipper Abdoulaye Faye was the first to react inside the area and powered a header beyond a stranded Petr Cech.

It was a test of character now for Ancelotti's men and the atmosphere was electric.

Stoke lost their second player of the half with Sorensen coming off in the 41st minute after appearing to pull a muscle and was replaced by Steve Simonsen.

Mainly because of Beattie's injury eight minutes of added time were awarded and Drogba pulled Chelsea level with a shot into the corner after getting away from Faye following a superb through ball from Frank Lampard.

Chelsea almost took the lead a minute into the second half but Drogba hit his effort high over the bar after Michael Ballack had nodded the ball on.

They were beginning to spray their passes about and asking questions of the home side.

Stoke are traditionally dangerous from set-pieces and there was a moment of danger for the visitors when Whelan delivered a free-kick into the area after 57 minutes but they failed to take advantage.

A minute later Kitson peeled away from his marker after Whelan delivered the corner but his header went straight into Cech's arms.

Robert Huth almost scored against his old club in the 63rd minute but sent his effort from inside the six-yard area over the top following another good corner from Whelan.

Ancelotti then brought on Anelka for Kalou a minute later in a bid to try and get the victory, not just one point.

Stoke were forced to back pedal in the 68th minute when Bosingwa raced to the edge of the area, only to drag his effort wide.

Chelsea stepped up the pace and Drogba thumped in a shot from an acute angle after 76 minutes but Faye made a brave block.

Drogba then whipped in a free-kick from 25 yards, only for Simonsen to react well and turn his effort around the post.

It was all hands to the pump now for Stoke as the visitors went in search of fifth successive victory and they seemed to be holding out only for Malouda to have the last word.

Teams:

Stoke Sorensen (Simonsen 41), Wilkinson, Huth, Abdoulaye Faye,Shawcross, Collins, Delap, Whitehead, Whelan,Beattie (Fuller 12), Kitson (Sanli 66).

Subs Not Used: Higginbotham, Lawrence, Pugh, Etherington.

Booked: Shawcross, Delap, Wilkinson.

Goals: Abdoulaye Faye 32.

Chelsea Cech, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Ashley Cole,Mikel (Belletti 83), Ballack (Essien 66), Malouda, Lampard,Kalou (Anelka 64), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Carvalho, Sturridge, Hutchinson.

Booked: Kalou, Terry, Ashley Cole.

Goals: Drogba 45, Malouda 90.

Att: 27,440

Ref: Mike Dean (Wirral).

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Jarv wrote:
Mystic Jarv predicts a 2-1 win for Chelsea
[/quote]
:yaay:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:24 am 
Colonel
Colonel

borocooper wrote:
1-0 Stoke.

Cech with another massive error.

It certainly was. For those that still rate him as one of the Premier League's best are allowing him to trade on his reputation before his head injury.

Since coming back I think I've seen him make more mistakes in a single game than he'd usually have in a season before the injury.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.