Total votes : 0
 Post subject: 12/09 - Portsmouth V Bolton wanderers - 15:00
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lawro Says
Quote:
Portsmouth v Bolton

Not nil-nil but null-null, because of what it rhymes with.

Both teams have struggled so far and with a long hard season ahead, they won't want to give anything away.

Something that really worries me about Portsmouth is the sight of their new owner sitting with the fans, with his name on the back of his shirt - sound familiar?

The quality of players they signed doesn't convince me they can stay up - you can't replace the ones they've sold with lesser players and not expect to be down among the dead men.

Verdict: 0-0

have you done your I know the Score

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 12/09 - Portsmouth V Bolton wanderers - 15:00
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Portsmouth goalkeeper David James may make his return from a knee injury in Saturday's Barclays Premier League match against fellow strugglers Bolton.

Pompey are still missing Papa Bouba Diop and Steve Finnan, who both have hamstring problems, while Herman Hreidarsson has a foot injury.

Striker Danny Webber has completed his move to Portsmouth - and Tal Ben-Haim, Kevin Prince-Boateng, Jamie O'Hara, Mike Williamson, Aruna Dindane and Hassan Yebda could also push for their club debuts.

On-loan striker Ivan Klasnic is set to be named in Bolton's squad.

The Croatia international, who joined on transfer deadline day, trained with his new team-mates for the first time on Thursday as he was immediately called away on international duty after signing.

However, with Wanderers having scored just two goals in their three league defeats so far the 29-year-old could provide much-needed firepower.

Fellow striker Johan Elmander picked up a slight strain playing for Sweden but is expected to be fit, midfielder Mark Davies has recovered from a knock sustained in the Carling Cup victory over Tranmere on August 25 but Gavin McCann is a doubt.

Midfielder Sean Davis serves a one-match suspension for his sending-off against Liverpool last time out.

Teams:

Portsmouth (from): James, Kaboul, Mokoena, Mullins, Nugent, Utaka, Kanu, Ashdown, Hughes, Begovic, Basinas, Belhadj, Vanden Borre, Piquionne, Smith, Niemi, O'Hara, Brown, Prince-Boateng, Ben-Haim, Williamson, Dindane, Yebda.

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Ricketts, Cahill, A O'Brien, Knight, Robinson, Samuel, Taylor, Muamba, Lee, Elmander, Basham, K Davies, Klasnic, Al Habsi, Hunt, Ward, Cohen, M Davies, Vaz Te.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv wrote:
Portsmouth V Bolton Wanderers

Pompey are in trouble, Most of their better players have been sold off to be replaced with, in my opinion, downgrades. Paul Hart will need serious backing in January to avoid having to travel to Doncaster, Barnsley and other stereo typical places relegated premier league teams don't want to goto, That is of course if he still has a job in January.

Bolton are second bottom only above Pompey and neither team will want to lose this game, its a typical "Relgation 6 pointer" but i reckon it'll be one point apiece and a mind numbingly dull game to watch.

Mystic Jarv predicts a 0-0 draw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
The other two have said there wont be a goal, I expect Portsmouth to get there first win of the season. 1-0

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i feel sorry for whoever gets this game on soccer saturday

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

It'll be Merse won't it? Arsenal are on Sunday against City aren't they?

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:

Tomorrow 3pm kick off according to Jarv's match thread.

Even if it was Arsenal I thought they stopped having the "old boys" commentating on their old teams as it made them too biased. Hence why Thompson never does Liverpool games so i'm guessing he'll be doing this game, Merson will have the Liverpool match and Le Tissier or the other guest will be stuck with this one.

Could be worse if you're going to the game then you'll be coming away with a sore neck as I expect there will be lots of hopefully punts up field.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:16 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
the nut's named eric wrote:

Tomorrow 3pm kick off according to Jarv's match thread.

Even if it was Arsenal I thought they stopped having the "old boys" commentating on their old teams as it made them too biased. Hence why Thompson never does Liverpool games so i'm guessing he'll be doing this game, Merson will have the Liverpool match and Le Tissier or the other guest will be stuck with this one.

Could be worse if you're going to the game then you'll be coming away with a sore neck as I expect there will be lots of hopefully punts up field.

Nah it was only Thompson who was considerably biased so was sacked off the Liverpool games. Merson always gives a good account of any game. Maybe they have but I'm sure I've seen Merse on the Pompey games often and recently.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Bolton defender Zat Knight believes Saturday's clash with Portsmouth is a must-win game - even at this early stage in the season.

Although the two teams are at the bottom of the table as the only Premier League sides yet to pick up a point, Bolton have played just three games and Pompey four.

But the former Fulham and Aston Villa centre-half reckons victory is vital for his new side to get their season up and running and ease early relegation fears.

"I don't think it's a belief around the changing room but personally, having played in the Premier League for the last few years, I believe it is a must win," he said.

"We have to go to Fratton Park and I don't think we can even think about a draw, we have to go and get three points."

Each side has lost each of their league games so far, with Bolton losing to Sunderland, Hull and Liverpool.

Gary Megson's men led twice against Liverpool, though, before having Sean Davis sent off and slipping to a 3-2 defeat, and Knight insists confidence is still high within the Wanderers' camp.
Frustration

"Results wise, it has been very frustrating because I felt we've put in good shifts and maybe we deserved something out of them," he said.

"However, that is part and parcel of the Premier League and football in general.

"There might be games where we don't put in as good an effort and get something out of it.

"We haven't had a bad dressing room, everyone still has great belief - especially as against Liverpool we did fantastically and it was only when we had a man sent off when the game changed.

"Our heads are high and, if we can go into Saturday's game with the same belief as two weeks ago against Liverpool, I really do believe we can get something out of it."

Megson admits victory at Fratton Park would not only be a welcome boost but would help keep the cynics quiet.

Huge game

"It is a huge game from both clubs' point of view," he said.

"Obviously, if there is a winner one club is going to be left with no points and the other club will go up four or five places and suddenly life looks much better.

"But we have to make sure we get a result sooner rather than later because then you have to start coping with things on the periphery that start to invade the club and make life more difficult."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bolton snatched their first points of the season after Gary Cahill netted a controversial winner a minute from time at Portsmouth.

Tamir Cohen fired the Trotters ahead after 13 minutes, only for Younes Kaboul to head Portsmouth level after 22 minutes.

Matthew Taylor's penalty put Bolton back in front six minutes before the break.

Kevin-Prince Boateng then struck an equaliser on his Portsmouth debut, but Cahill scored at the death to leave the home side without a point from five games.

Portsmouth handed debuts to midfielders Boateng and Jamie O'Hara and defender Tal Ben-Haim, while David James returned in goal following a knee injury.

Bolton newcomer Ivan Klasnic was forced to make do with a place on the bench, while Johan Elmander missed out after suffering a slight strain while representing Sweden in midweek.

After an uninspiring opening, Bolton's Cohen headed the first chance of the game over the bar from an excellent Sam Ricketts cross after four minutes.

Bolton's former Portsmouth midfielder Taylor should have put the visitors ahead after 11 minutes when he raced on to a through-ball from Gretar Rafn Steinsson.

He sliced his effort wide of the near post, but Cohen made no mistake two minutes later.

The Trotters hitman was sent clean through by an excellent Steinsson pass from the right corner of the box, and rifled the ball into the top corner.

Bolton nearly bagged a second after 22 minutes, but Taylor put Ricketts' ball from the right well wide of the post.

Portsmouth began to step up their game and levelled after 25 minutes.

O'Hara lofted in a superb corner from the right and Younes Kaboul hung in the air before he nodded the ball across Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Kaboul should have scored again three minutes later from another superb O'Hara corner to the back post, but he headed just wide.

The Fratton Park faithful were then left fuming after 39 minutes when referee Chris Foy gave Bolton a highly debatable penalty.

Trotters skipper Kevin Davies raced at speed into the Portsmouth box and his momentum carried him straight into Ben-Haim.

Foy pointed to the spot and Taylor stepped up, sent James the wrong way and slotted the penalty to the England international's right.

Portsmouth fans were baying for a penalty early in the second half after Tommy Smith tumbled when he raced for a loose ball, following a misunderstanding between Jaaskelainen and Bolton defender Zat Knight.

Foy waved their calls away but the locals were celebrating after 63 minutes, when Boateng put their side level.

Nadir Belhadj's ball from the left fell to O'Hara, whose shot was blocked, but Boateng was quickly on to the rebound and sidefooted home from 10 yards out.

Portsmouth surged forward in search of a winner and Kaboul blew another great chance to find the net, when his close-range effort from a Smith cross was cleared off the line by Steinsson.

Bolton substitute Chris Basham had the ball in the net after 83 minutes, but his effort was ruled out because of an infringement by Gavin McCann.

The Trotters made up for that when they left Portsmouth bottom of the table after Jlloyd Samuel's throw-in was flicked on by Chris Basham.

Two Bolton players strayed into offside positions in the melee that followed as Cahill headed into the bottom right corner to seal the points.

Teams:

Portsmouth James, Vanden Borre, Kaboul, Ben-Haim, Belhadj,Mokoena, Brown, O'Hara (Yebda 71), Boateng, Smith (Webber 83),Piquionne.

Subs Not Used: Begovic, Mullins, Williamson, Utaka, Kanu.

Booked: Kaboul, Belhadj.

Goals: Kaboul 25, Boateng 63.

Bolton Jaaskelainen, Ricketts (Klasnic 71), Knight, Cahill,Samuel, Steinsson, Cohen (McCann 77), Mark Davies (Basham 71),Muamba, Taylor, Kevin Davies.

Subs Not Used: Al Habsi, Robinson, Lee, Andrew O'Brien.

Goals: Cohen 13, Taylor 41 pen, Cahill 89.

Att: 17,564

Ref: Chris Foy (Merseyside).

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv wrote:
one point apiece and a mind numbingly dull game to watch.

Oops

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Jarv wrote:
Mystic Jarv wrote:
one point apiece and a mind numbingly dull game to watch.

Oops

good eye :thumbup:

ImageImage
Quote: