Blackburn 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Wolves 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Draw 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: 12/09 - Blackburn Rovers V Wolverhampton Wanderers - 15:00
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wolves will be without captain Jody Craddock for the Premier League game against Blackburn at Ewood Park on Saturday because of a hamstring injury.

"He strained it during training and will be out for another week," manager Mick McCarthy told the club website.

Scotland international Christophe Berra is expected to replace the 34-year-old, who has started all four of Wolves' Premier League games this season.

Ex-Sunderland defender Craddock signed a new one-year contract in July.

He is the only survivor from the Wolves team that last played in the Premier League in 2003/04, and as captain helped lead the club to the Championship title last season.

However, McCarthy has been boosted by the news that England Under-21 winger Michael Kightly has returned to full training.

Iwelumo scored 15 goals, Sylvan got 25, and Foley was our Player of the Season. There's a fair bit of good football in those players we're missing

Mick McCarthy

Kightly, 23, has not played a competitive game since breaking a bone in his foot in a friendly against Shrewsbury in March.

Strikers Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Chris Iwelumo and full-back Kevin Foley are also closing in on a first-team return.

"It would be great to have them all back," said McCarthy.

"When we were in the Championship, 'Kights' was being touted as one of those who could play in the Premier League and we'd like to see that because I've no doubt that he can.

"Iwelumo scored 15 goals, Sylvan got 25, and Foley was our player of the season. There's a fair bit of good football in those players we're missing."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 12/09 - Blackburn Rovers V Wolverhampton Wanderers - 15:00
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lawro Says

Quote:
Blackburn v Wolverhampton

Wolves have been a bit up and down this season but have shown a few good signs. Blackburn are big and strong, which is something Wolves will have to learn to cope with in this division.

You could argue that Wolves are the better footballing team, but I think Blackburn's size and athleticism and their set-pieces will prove to be the difference.

Verdict: 2-1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Wolves will still be without key quartet Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Michael Kightly, Chris Iwelumo and Kevin Foley for the trip to Blackburn.

Winger Kightly is training with his team-mates but is not quite ready to return to competitive action following his broken metatarsal, while strikers Ebanks-Blake (hamstring) and Iwelumo (metatarsal) and right-back Foley (knee) continue to make progress with their rehabilitation.

Defender Stephen Ward and goalkeeper Matt Murray (both knee) are long-term absentees.

New signings Segundo Castillo and Stefan Maierhofer are both in Mick McCarthy's squad and could make their debuts at Ewood Park.

Midfielder Steven N'Zonzi is a doubt for Blackburn.

The midfielder was the only member of the first team squad not to train, after picking up an unspecified injury with France Under-21s in midweek.

Brett Emerton (thigh) is fit, Franco Di Santo is back in full training after hamstring trouble and Ryan Nelsen (knee) should figure, although Steven Reid is still struggling with an ankle problem.

Teams:

Blackburn (from): Robinson, Emerton, Nelsen, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda, Diouf, Andrews, N'Zonzi, Pedersen, Dunn, McCarthy, Roberts, Di Santo, Kalinic, Olsson, Brown, Grella, Hoilett, Jacobsen.

Wolves (from): Hennessey, Hahnemann, Ikeme, Elokobi, Stearman, Craddock, Berra, Zubar, Hill, Mancienne, Ward, Edwards, Henry, Surman, Jones, Halford, Jarvis, Milijas, Castillo, Keogh, Vokes, Doyle, Maierhofer.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv says

Mystic Jarv wrote:
Blackburn Rovers V Wolverhampton Wanderers

Blackburn have struggled so far this season and find themselves in the bottom 3 after 3 games, Wolves on the other hand have had mixed fortunes so far this season. Blackburn i think will be too strong for Wolves especially so as Wolves have a few injuries and by the end of Saturday will draw level on points with Wolves

Mystic Jarv predicts 1-0 to Blackburn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Matt Murray must be the unluckiest guy in that wolves squad. Didn't he miss nearly all of their last forray into the Premiership through injury (along with Joleon Lescott)? I don't think he's played yet for them this season either, has he?

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I've gone for the 1-0 Blackburn result as well.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Jason Roberts helped banish the goalscoring gloom over Ewood Park as his stellar second-half performance finally helped bring Blackburn their first Barclays Premier League win of the season.

Roberts' slight touch on Gael Givet's header was enough to steer Rovers' second past Wayne Hennessey, and he did all the hard work to tee up his side's third for David Dunn.

El-Hadji Diouf had celebrated his return to the starting line-up by giving his side a 19th-minute head-start when he raced clear and slotted the opener through Hennessey's legs.

It was the emphatic response required by Rovers to concern over their bite in front of goal after their first three league games yielded the sorry statistic of just a single strike.

And it could have been more against a Wolves side who caved in after a bright start to the second half, with Morten Gamst Pedersen ramming the post and Keith Andrews forcing a fine save out of Hennessey.

But for all Rovers' application the visitors were left to wonder what might have been after Christophe Berra missed the simplest of chances in the fifth minute after Paul Robinson spilled a Greg Halford cross.

The Wolves defender was presented with an open goal but fluffed his shot on the turn and saw his effort fly high and wide of the relieved Robinson's goal.

That was to prove the best chance of a trying afternoon for the visitors as the home side gradually took a grip on proceedings thanks to Dunn's relentless prompting and the energy of Roberts and Diouf up front.

Diouf repaid Sam Allardyce's faith when he took advantage of a blunder by Michael Mancienne whose mis-timed challenge gave the Senegal man a clear run on goal.

Diouf managed to hold his nerve but only just as he hit a low shot which squirmed through the unfortunate Hennessey's legs and bobbled into the net to put the home side in front.

The goal visibly restored Rovers' confidence and they almost grabbed a second in the 31st minute when Dunn ran at the defenders and laid the ball off to Andrews whose shot was well blocked by Hennessey.

Wolves were consistently guilty of giving the ball away too early round their box and Pedersen almost made them pay in the 44th minute when he curled a left-foot free-kick which struck the outside of Hennessey's left-hand post.

Things briefly looked brighter for the visitors at the start of the second period as Mick McCarthy's substitutions took effect and Stefan Maierhofer drove wide then almost got on the end of a lofted cross from Kevin Doyle.

But Rovers effectively sealed the points in the 57th minute when Givet met Dunn's corner with a powerful header which might have been heading for Hennessey's hands had Roberts not got the slightest of touches as it passed.

It was Roberts' turn to feel robbed of a goal eight minutes later when he barged past the advancing Hennessey before stumbling and leaving Dunn to slot home Rovers' third from point-blank range.

As Rovers began to revel in the late summer sun Andrews forced a superb save out of Hennessey from a set-piece and crashed another effort against Berra in the box.

Wolves did bag a consolation two minutes from time when Maierhofer controlled a corner from Jarvis and poked home from the edge of the six-yard box.

But the way his side caved in after Rovers' second will be of concern to Wolves boss McCarthy as he looks to maintain confidence after a reasonable start to the season. Rovers, meanwhile, are up and running.

Teams:

Blackburn Robinson, Jacobsen (Salgado 85), Samba (Nelsen 75),Givet, Chimbonda, Andrews, Grella, Diouf, Dunn,Pedersen (Emerton 73), Roberts.

Subs Not Used: Brown, Kalinic, Di Santo, Hoilett.

Booked: Andrews.

Goals: Diouf 19, Roberts 56, Dunn 64.

Wolverhampton Hennessey, Stearman, Berra, Mancienne, Hill,Halford (Edwards 46), Henry, Milijas (Maierhofer 46), Jarvis,Doyle (Surman 78), Keogh.

Subs Not Used: Hahnemann, Elokobi, David Jones, Vokes.

Booked: Stearman, Berra.

Goals: Maierhofer 88.

Att: 24,845

Ref: Steve Bennett (Kent).

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:14 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

the nut's named eric wrote:
Matt Murray must be the unluckiest guy in that wolves squad. Didn't he miss nearly all of their last forray into the Premiership through injury (along with Joleon Lescott)? I don't think he's played yet for them this season either, has he?

He's permanently injured sadly - the Wolves fans consider him an England class keeper IF he ever gets fit.

Wolves were beyond terrible.