AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: His name is Rio
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Signed a 1 year deal at QPR

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:54 am 
Major General
Major General

:thumbup: good for him

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Didn't realise but apparently QPR gave him his first pro contract.

It's a good move for him PL football back closer to home.

Personally I thought last season he looked finished but towards the end of the season when Utd defended a lot closer to our own goal which is what QPR will be doing a lot he looked more like the old Rio as high up the pitch he's in trouble against pace and a lot of the time he didn't have a quick CB next to him to get him out of trouble.

Apparently he's taken a huge pay cut to go there as he just wants to play so fair play to him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand said he is surprised by Manchester United’s poor start to life under Louis van Gaal but believes the Dutchman is the man to restore the club’s former glory.

After 12 years at Old Trafford, Ferdinand left in the summer to join Queens Park Rangers but has seen United fail to win any of their opening four matches including a League Cup thrashing at third tier MK Dons.

“I have to be honest, pre-season I was really excited for Man United,” Ferdinand said in a BBC interview to be screened on Saturday. “They looked really fit, really decisive, and looked like they had a good understanding of the system. But it was almost like a reversal once the season started.”

Ferdinand returns to Old Trafford on Sunday where he hopes to get the opportunity to say goodbye properly after his summer move.

He added: “I think they will get it right – I think the manager who’s there now gets things right. I have every confidence he will bring back good times, it’s just a matter of how long it takes.”

Ferdinand said United’s traditional supporters, those used to watching the club develop homegrown talent such as Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and the Neville brothers, might have to accept that those days might be over. The signings of the South American pair Ángel di María and Radamel Falcao and the sale of local boy Danny Welbeck to Arsenal were signs that Van Gaal might try to assemble a team of marquee players.

“I think the real traditional fans who are real followers of the club took great pride and pleasure in the club producing home grown players,” Ferdinand said. “It seems there might be a changing in the order. The fans who used to watch other clubs splashing the cash can’t use that to beat anyone any more.”

While many still expect United to challenge for a top-four finish this season, Ferdinand has a more humble aim at Loftus Road where he is reunited with Harry Redknapp, with whom he got his first chance after emerging through West Ham's academy.

“It’s all about survival this season,” Ferdinand said. “No bus parades or silverware. Just staying in the league is the expectation, that’s what the club needs.”

First, however, Ferdinand is looking forward to returning to the club for whom he made more than 400 appearances.

“It’s going to be emotional really,” he said. “I had great years there and really good times but I never got to say bye when I left which was unfortunate. So it will be a nice opportunity to say bye to all the people that supported me.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand has attacked David Moyes’s tactics at Manchester United as “embarassing”, and stated that the club’s former manager created “a negative vibe” in stark contrast to the Sir Alex Ferguson era.

The defender, who left United for QPR in the summer after 12 years at the club and returned to Old Trafford on Sunday to suffer a 4-0 defeat, was part of the team that finished seventh in 2013-14, Manchester United’s lowest ever finish in the Premier League. After being appointed at the beginning of last season, Moyes lasted just 10 months in the job, and was sacked in April.

“He tried to impose a vision but never seemed to be completely clear what that vision should be,” Ferdinand said in an extract from his autobiography #2Sides, which is being serialised in The Sun. “Unintentionally, he created a negative vibe where, with Fergie, it had always been positive. It was always how to stop the other side. Moyes set us up not to lose. We’d been accustomed to playing to win.’

“Moyes’s innovations mostly led to negativity and confusion. The biggest confusion was over how he wanted us to move the ball forward. Often he told us to play it long. Some players felt they kicked the ball long more than at any time in their career.

“Sometimes our main tactic was the long, high, diagonal cross. It was embarrassing. In one home game against Fulham we had 81 crosses! I was thinking, why are we doing this? Andy Carroll doesn’t play for us!

“The whole approach was alien. Other times Moyes wanted lots of passing. He’d say: ‘Today I want us to have 600 passes in the game. Last week it was only 400’. Who cares? I’d rather score five goals from 10 passes.”

Ferdinand also revealed that Moyes had made the players train on a public park prior to their crucial Champions League tie against Bayern Munich – a move he described as “amateurish” – and that Moyes announced he would be dropping him in front of the entire squad.

“It killed me,” he said. “Inside I wanted to scream and grab him. I’m a team player, so I just had to bite my tongue and stand there. But it was probably the worst single moment I ever had at United. I’d never been dropped for a big game like that - and to drop that on me in front of everybody.”

Stuck the boot in on Terry & Cole yesterday and today it's the Moyes turn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has spoken out about his brother Anton being racially abused by John Terry.

In extracts from his upcoming autobiography, Ferdinand heavily criticises the man he played together with for England so many times.

The QPR centre-back admits that he no longer speaks to the Chelsea skipper after he called Anton a 'f***ing black c*nt' during a Premier League match at Loftus Road in October 2011.

"For me, the biggest idiot will always be John Terry," Ferdinand states in his autobiography. "As England captain and my centre-back partner he could have saved everyone a lot of pain by admitting immediately he used the word in the heat of the moment, but was no racist."

"I think that's probably what happened and what the truth is. Anton and I would've accepted that – instead he never gave us a chance.

"That was the betrayal. He tried to run away from what he had done.

"I've never actually spoken to John about the case. I no longer talk to him, but even three years later I find it impossible to forgive or forget the pain he put us through."

Ferdinand also discussed the effect the incident had on his family as a whole.

"There were bullets in the post," Ferdinand said. "My mum had her windows smashed and bullets put through her door, and ended up in hospital because of the stress."

Ashley Cole, who supported Terry, is also lambasted by Ferdinand.

"Ashley Cole had long been a friend of mine. We've known each other since we were kids," Ferdinand said. "But for me it ended the day he decided to go to court in support of John Terry.

"Anton rang me and my head nearly blew off. He was betraying Anton, who he'd also known for years."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand, who left Manchester United this summer and joined Queens Park Rangers, believes there could be a future chapter in his career that involves returning to Old Trafford as manager.

The 35-year-old was one of the mainstays at United for more than a decade and during that time he won six Premier League titles and the Champions League. Ferdinand told the Manchester Evening News that he would one day love to return to the club in a managerial capacity. “I am not going to look that far ahead,” he said. “I am taking all my coaching badges and everything I need to do and then we shall see what opportunities arise.

“I am not stupid enough to think that I will pass all my badges and then Manchester United will come asking me to become their manager. But I want to be the best in whatever field I go into and that means managing a big club like United or your country.”

Ferdinand’s departure from Old Trafford came about after the appointment of Louis van Gaal but, despite failing to secure a one-year extension to his contract, the former captain is fully supportive of the Dutchman. “United are meant to be struggling and having a terrible season yet they are fourth in the league. If they hit a bit of form and consistency then they are going to be up there.

“I don’t see it being a problem getting into the Champions League spots. I think they will comfortably get into the top four and then it is a case of building back from there. Louis van Gaal wants to play in a different way to how the club have played in the past. He has his philosophy and he believes and trusts in that 100%. He is fully committed to that. The players will go along with him and do that. They have bought into it.”

Ferdinand believes Van Gaal has to be given some breathing space as he builds his own team. He said: “Sometimes things take time. United had a way of playing and it has been … To think he would come in and change things and everything would be hunky dory overnight was a bit far fetched. But in time I think he will get it right. His history suggests he will and I don’t see any reason why that would change.”

Long way from the bottom to the top I think the Moyes failure means from now on Utd will only appoint a manager with a proven track record. The only exception to that role might be Giggs but I'm not 100% sure he'll take over from lvg I think he might have to go elsewhere to prove himself first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

Rio please :p

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

His wife passed away this morning after a short battle with cancer.

Truly horrible news she leaves behind 3 children.

I thought he'd been a bit quiet over recent months and as far as I know this is the first time this story has come out.

Would be nice to see his former clubs do something to raise money for cancer research.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:06 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Terribly sad. Their youngest kid is only four.

RIP.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Horrendous. 34 years old..awful for the family. There's no age you can deal with it well but kids that age? I can't imagine coping with that so young.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:28 pm 
Major General
Major General

Dead knows no friend ..

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Disgustingly he has been getting abuse on Twitter.

'rios wife dying is better than winning the league'

'Rios wife's dead. That's what you deserve for accusing an innocent man of racism. #karma'

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

And they'll get a vote as well

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hope he's passing it all on to his lawyers so they can deal with these cretins.

Yeah let's abuse a guy who's wife died because he stuck up for his brother in a criminal case

Giving some people a voice online is dangerous

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:30 pm 
Major General
Major General

These ku98s should be brought to justice .. How awful biased immoral judgment ...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand has described being overwhelmed by the support he received from football fans after his wife died.

The former England captain said Rebecca Ellison’s battle with cancer was the most difficult period for his family and paid tribute to her as “an incredibly brave woman”.

A host of football personalities, including Sir Alex Ferguson and Ferdinand’s former Manchester United team-mate Nemanja Vidić, turned out for Ellison’s funeral.

Writing in the Sun, Ferdinand said: “It has been the most difficult period of my life, what with managing the emotions of our three children and watching such a great woman as my wife Rebecca die without being able to do anything about it.

“After Rebecca died, we held a service on a lovely sunny day which was arranged to perfection. Rebecca was an organisational freak and planned much of it herself while the kids picked the music. She wanted it to be a celebration of her life rather than a morbid occasion and it went just the way she would have liked.”

He thanked the world of football for its good wishes, including fans at his former clubs West Ham and Manchester United as well as Liverpool.

“The day it was announced that Rebecca had died, we were overwhelmed by message of support … The kids saw it all and were telling me, ‘Look Dad, have you seen what they are doing for Mum?’ Those are good memories for them,” he said. “It was refreshing to see such compassion in the game, with tribalism removed.”

The couple married in August 2009 on Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands. The footballer rented the entire 1,800-acre resort for the ceremony. He and Ellison have three children, Lorenz, nine, Tate, six, and four-year-old Tia.

According to reports, Ellison, 34, died after fighting breast cancer. Ferdinand, 36, also said he felt guilty about not being able to play a full part in Queens Park Rangers’ season, during which they were relegated from the Premier League.

His wife’s illness had only been known to an intimate circle of family and friends, with players at the club unaware of why he was unavailable for selection, Ferdinand said.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:19 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

..announces retirement from the game...fantastic servant for us...Vida and he were monstrous pillars ..

all the best lad! :thumbup: :bow:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:26 am 
Major General
Major General

Good luck Rio ..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:11 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Good luck to him and his family especially the kids - I can't imagine losing my wife at any time much less that young an age. I hope they find the strength to get through this rough patch.

One of our best ever defenders :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next