AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: His name is Rio
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Not sure if it's the best move to let him go. Yes he had a fookin horrible season but this season has been a total clusterf*ck for everyone at the club. This time last year Rio was in the PL team of the season. He past his best but I still think he could have had a role next season.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He should've gone last season imo as a champion on the back of a good season.

The club has to move on and create a settled back 4 which means no Rio because he has to manage that injury and I don't think he wants to sit on the bench he wants to play.

Be a great pick up for a mid table club assuming he isn't chasing a big contract maybe a move back to West Ham might suit him as he's always said when he finished playing he'd move back to London.

Fantastic servant to the club and one half of probably the best CB pairing I've seen in my lifetime probably won't see another one like that for a long time.

Club like it or not has to move on and taking that safety blanket of Rio/Vidic imo is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
JSP wrote:
He should've gone last season imo as a champion on the back of a good season.

The club has to move on and create a settled back 4 which means no Rio because he has to manage that injury and I don't think he wants to sit on the bench he wants to play.

Be a great pick up for a mid table club assuming he isn't chasing a big contract maybe a move back to West Ham might suit him as he's always said when he finished playing he'd move back to London.

Fantastic servant to the club and one half of probably the best CB pairing I've seen in my lifetime, probably won't see another one like that for a long time.

Club like it or not has to move on and taking that safety blanket of Rio/Vidic imo is a good thing.

Bit of hyperbole there, surely. Bruce and Pallister were just as good, but I'll grant they may be a bit before your time. Chelsea's back two of Terry and Carvalho were top notch too.

I agree though, a great player for club and country.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bruce & Pallister were good but they never shut out the top sides in Europe like Rio/Vidic could although back then Utd were often weakened by the 3 foreigner rule.

Terry & Carvalho, Adams & Keown were great pairing in England during the 90s & 00s but for me Vidic & Rio were the perfect pair from 07-11 I don't think there was much better although Pique & Puyol were pretty fierce for a while.

Rio & Vidic aren't the best CB I've seen for Utd that honour goes to Jaap Stam that guy was a 1 man defence a combination of those 2 could handle anything you threw at him.

As for being before my time my favourite Utd side is probably the 93/94 double side I was gutted when Fergie broke it up i would've loved to see how far that side could've gone in Europe if the manager had been able to play them all together. I was only 8 and they were the first Utd side I saw in the flesh as an 8 year old best birthday present ever.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Southgate and Ehiogu were an outstanding partnership. Given how much defending they had to deal with for us.. Kept 1000 clean sheets one season they say.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:37 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
borocooper wrote:
Kept 1000 clean sheets one season they say.

:lol:

The season only felt that long.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:20 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

so long mate...a great servant for the club :thumbup: ...

just pay whatever it takes to sign The Eliaquim...

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
End of an era.

Thank you Rio, you've been awesome (Merking, and missed drugs test aside).

If it weren't for their injury records, I'd actually be OK with Smalling, Jones and Evans (+ 1 other) as our CBs. However, I think we now need 2 CBs.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
PMDK wrote:
End of an era.

Thank you Rio, you've been awesome (Merking, and missed drugs test aside).

If it weren't for their injury records, I'd actually be OK with Smalling, Jones and Evans (+ 1 other) as our CBs. However, I think we now need 2 CBs.

Really

the thought of any pairing of those three as our permanent CB pairing sends shudders down my spine. All of them are lucky to get on the bench in my opinion.

They need to put in some serious work. In fact I know I differ here but the only one I can see potential in is Smalling.

We need to buy at least one CB

I guess LvG is getting rid of the old timers as the rumours are they caused the trouble for Moyes. Looking at some of Rio's tweets it would point to this

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm good with Evans as a squad player but with the right man next to him ideally someone who's front foot with pace I think he could be a good defender as he organises well and mops up behind.

Smalling/Jones just need to play regular games I really wanted to see them play out the rest of the season as a CB pair with Rio/Vidic leaving just give them a run of 5 games to see what they can do but injuries meant they were unavailable or plugging gaps at RB. I like the "idea" of Jones/Smalling as a pairing but they have to play regularly to improve this was something I really hoped we'd see Moyes do.

Personally I see Evans/Jones as our strongest pairing now but I'd like to see a new first choice CB come in which would probably mean someone like Smalling moving on as he needs to go to a side where he can play every week. Sounds ridicilous but if Utd could do some sort of buy back deal on him that might be perfect if not a little strange.

The big thing next season is getting on top of the injuries especially in the defence we are desperate for a settled back 4 next season with less games we should be trying to put the same 4 guys out every week not having to patch people up every week to get 4 defenders on the pitch.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I would be looking at Smalling and another if I were manager.

Smalling and Hummels who I did read we had bid for. But didn't believe it as it was just that one report.

I don't believe the Jones Hype. Shown nothing for me other than he runs around a lot and get injured a lot. Mainly because he's clueless and runs into people.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

To be honest you can make pretty solid cases for and against all of them as none of them have been able to shift Rio/Vidic as when those two have been fit Fergie always went back to them in big games which suggests to me he didn't have 100% faith in any of the other 3 as he hunted down his last few trophies.

The key thing that goes against Smalling & Jones is the injuries they're always out injured Jones because he's like an idiot dog who runs into a tree while chasing his ball and Smalling because he's forever picking up muscle injuries.

I just want to see the new manager improve them as for me Jones/Smalling are no better now than they were this time 2 years ago when they looked like a potential long term pairing neither has really pushed on. We've invested big money in these two £30m give them a chance to prove themselves but I think that chance might have gone as this season was the season to do all the work in progress stuff maybe a better coach will bring the best out of them but I think the ship might have sailed on both of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Bit of a crappy way that he's going, would've been nice for him to get serenaded at Southampton if the fans had known he was on his way out, like Vidic was the two games before the end of the season.

Rio, albeit a bit of a nob off the pitch, was a world class defender, and one of the best ever at United. Slightly different level to Bruce who was mentioned above, certainly the best in my lifetime... in my opinion, of course. :wink:

He just had everything, his composure on the ball, his passing and pace, and the way he just swept up balls when covering was top notch. Only thing I suppose he could've improved on I guess was his goal scoring from corners, was rare that he bagged but not really necessary.

Would probably liked him to have stayed another season, because as things stands, our defence is a mess.

£30m for him was a bargain in the end.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think the Sunderland game was meant to be Rio's send off as his kids were mascots but they didn't really do anything to highlight that fact I think Vidic got a bit of special treatment because he didn't have a testimonial and he'd been captain for the a few years.

I agree though the club should've done more but it sounds to me like they wanted the new manager to make the decision if he said keep him then he would've signed for 1 more year.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Evra because there wasn't much of a goodbye to him either.

I think Rio should've gone last summer as a champion he was clearly done last season and Utd should've phased these guys out rather than letting them all leave at once personally I think Fergie shouldn't of sorted his new contract knowing he was leaving.

The incident over his contact renewal soured his relationship with a lot of fans especially considering it was only a year after the club had stood by him during that 8 month ban some fans never forgave him but from that moment on we saw a new improved Rio who didn't have those silly costly errors in his game anymore and as many said he was a Rolls Royce defender. Sniffed out danger before it even became a problem one of the best proactive defenders I've seen read the game so well that the striker couldn't even get his first touch in before he'd lost the ball if he did get a first touch it was rare that he got a second touch.

In terms of his goals the one that will always stick in my memory was a last minute winner in front of the stretford end vs Liverpool we'd been cr*p that day and he popped up with a header to win the game. BRAP BRAP BRAP!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:28 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Michael Carrick and his Manchester United team-mates have paid tribute to Rio Ferdinand, who will leave the club in the summer.

Ferdinand announced on Monday his 12-year career at Old Trafford was over and he would follow centre-back partner Nemanja Vidic, a recent recruit at Inter Milan, through the exit door.

The defensive pair have been integral to United's success over the last decade and were involved in the title-winning teams in 2007, 2008 and 2009 with both named in the PFA Team of the Year at the end of each campaign.

Carrick tweeted: "1st Vida now Rio, we've shared so much. Both 2 of the very best defenders of ALL TIME and I don't say that lightly.

"Vida, simply the best out and out defender I've seen. Aggression and desire to win at all costs, scared centre forwards to death!

"Rio, A Rolls Royce, best all round CB, got the lot, defend, quick, composed beyond belief and made those around him better players."

Midfielder Carrick, on the England standby list for the World Cup, was joined in his appreciation of Ferdinand by current and former goalkeepers David de Gea and Edwin van der Sar and winger Ashley Young.

Spaniard De Gea tweeted: "Thanks for everything @rioferdy5 and good luck in your future my friend. It's been a pleasure playing and learning with you! #Legend."

Van der Sar added on Twitter: "Just want to thank @rioferdy5 & Vida for all they have done for me in the success we achieved @ManUtd!#rocksolid."

Young said: "@rioferdy5 honoured to have been your teammate, you'll be missed #legend."

The decision to let Ferdinand go ignores the advice of interim manager Ryan

Giggs, who insisted earlier this month the defender could still make a useful

contribution and should be offered a new deal.

Former Reds defender Gary Neville appeared to question the move when he wrote on Twitter: "So it looks like Rio and Vida allowed to leave at once!!! A conveyor belt has become a cliff!"

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says he will look to make a decision on his future in the next few days.

The 35-year-old, who was told by United after the Southampton game that he would not be getting a new contract after nearly 12 years at Old Trafford, has been linked with a number of clubs around the world.

A collection of Major League Soccer sides including LA Galaxy are believed to be interested in signing the former West Ham and Leeds centre-back, as well as Turkish sides Besiktas and Galatasaray.

But Ferdinand could still remain in the Premier League and was linked with a shock switch to Arsenal last month.

Ferdinand said: "In the coming days I will start to think about my next step and make a decision on what will happen.

"I haven't had much time to do that yet since the season ended. I've been able to get away from the hype and enjoy my time."

Ferdinand will leave United having made 312 appearances. He won six Premier League trophies, one Champions League and three League Cups under previous manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

United are expected to announce Louis van Gaal as David Moyes' successor on Monday and Ferdinand believes the Dutch coach will be ideally suited to the job.

"He seems very strong and direct, has a good understanding and knowledge of what he wants to do and doesn't deviate. You need to be like that at a club like Man United," the former England international said.

"At every club he's been at - Ajax, Bayern Munich, Barcelona - he seems to have gone in and done things his own way and I envisage him doing same thing if he comes in to United like it's anticipated."

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:02 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Absolutely gutted Rio's leaving. What a f**king player in his day :bow:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:40 am 
Major General
Major General

great servant but he had moment of lapses ..As reedo said a bargain at 30M

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
QPR defender Nedum Onuoha has admitted that he would like to see Rio Ferdinand join the newly-promoted side this summer.

Ferdinand is available as a free agent after being released by Manchester United at the end of the season, but is currently on media duties at the World Cup in Brazil.

The 35-year-old was limited to 23 appearances in all competitions during the last campaign and was allowed to leave following 12 years at Old Trafford, in which he won 10 major trophies.

Following their return to the top-flight, QPR are among the clubs that Ferdinand has been linked with and a move would see him reunite with the manager who handed him his professional debut at West Ham, Harry Redknapp.

Redknapp will be looking to strengthen his squad over the summer and Onuohu believes that Ferdinand is the type of player that has what is required.

"Someone like that - his track record speaks for itself and having played a good few games for Man U this year, and coming from there you would like to think you can pretty much play anywhere," he told Get West London.

Meanwhile, Ferdinand insists that he has no plans for retirement with a number of offers already presented to him.

"It’s feasible that in the coming weeks, perhaps even while I’m in South America, I’ll make a decision about the next stage in my career, and when that happens I’ll tell you about it," he said.

"But I have options on the table from several clubs in England and overseas for next season and I’m intending to play on if the right situation arises.

"There is, in all honesty, nothing settled yet. Whatever I do next has to be right for me and my family and I’m going to take it one season at a time.

"I’m keeping myself fit and in shape, doing my running and my workouts, so I’ll be ready for whatever new club I join."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand is in talks with newly-promoted Queens Park Rangers – but that no deal has been done yet.

Ferdinand is a free agent after being released by Manchester United at the end of last season after 12 years at Old Trafford.

If Ferdinand chooses to move to Loftus Road it will be the second time he has worked under Harry Redknapp.

Ferdinand's representative Jamie Moralee has confirmed to Sky Sports News that Ferdinand is in talks over a proposed move to Loftus Road but no deal has been done as yet.

Redknapp was the manager who gave him his debut at West Ham in 1996, and Ferdinand was the world’s most expensive defender when he left to join Leeds United in an £18million deal in 2000.

Ferdinand moved to Old Trafford on a five-year contract in another record deal in July 2002 and went on to win six Premier League titles and the 2008 Champions League during his time with United.

He played 81 times for England between 1997 and 2011 and was a member of three World Cup squads.

Speaking before he headed to Brazil, where he is working as a World Cup pundit, Ferdinand said: "I see myself as going to Rio very much as an active footballer with playing time ahead of me.

"It is feasible that in the coming weeks, perhaps even while I'm in South America, I'll make a decision about the next stage in my career.

"I have options on the table from several clubs in England and overseas for next season and I'm intending to play on if the right situation arises."

Rio's brother Anton played for QPR for two seasons, leaving Loftus Road following their relegation to the Championship in 2013.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next