AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: His name is Rio
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Chris Charles | 12:55 UK time, Friday, 24 April 2009
Click The Link...http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/chrischarles/2009/04/being_rio_ferdinand.html

So I'm just about to interview Rio Ferdinand when he breaks off to take a call from Michael Jackson. Welcome to the world of the Premier League footballer.

The Prince of Pop is ringing to wish Rio good luck for the launch of the player's latest venture - a celebrity-studded online magazine named in honour of his Manchester United shirt number, 'Five'.

When Ferdinand returns he admits: "I was shaking when I got off the phone. It was a real surprise. I'm hoping to interview him for a later edition and he's invited me to one of his concerts to come backstage and speak to him about it.

"The first album I ever owned was Bad, so that says it all. I got the album when I was living on the Friary estate in Peckham, who'd have thought that one day I might be meeting the guy?"

Given all the trappings of fame and fortune that accompany the modern-day footballer, Ferdinand is surprisingly grounded. Our 15-minute chat is peppered with references to his modest upbringing and the fortunate position he finds himself in today. A privilege that allows him to have a natter with Jacko and a one-on-one with rapper 50 Cent, who he interviewed for the first edition of the magazine.

"I was quite nervous meeting him," Rio confesses. "But it was great to see a different side, rather than this macho 'I've been shot a few times' image that everyone dwells on.

"Everyone expected me to go for someone like 50 Cent, pigeon-holing me a bit, so it was important to capture another element of him - away from that gangster image - and I think we did that. He was talking about politics and other interests he's got rather than just the obvious, so you got to see a softer side."

Mickey Rourke and Duffy also appear in the launch edition, although Ferdinand couldn't do those interviews himself, and with Jackson seemingly in the bag, I ask him what other big names he would like to talk to. The answer is rather surprising.

"If I could interview anyone in the world it would be the two princes, William and Harry," he answers without hesitation. "I'd love to get their take on the world, because no-one knows how they see it. It would be great to be the first people to do that. Barack Obama would be another one but I think I'd rather interview the princes first, because no-one's got an insight into what they're about."

So has this newly-honed journalistic instinct given him an insight into the world of the hungry hacks who spend their lives chasing him and his fellow-professionals looking for a decent angle?

"Not really. The difference is we're not trying to get an extravagant story, we're trying to get genuine answers to questions that hopefully a lot of other people out there would like to be asking themselves, rather than getting a juicy, crazy story that some media types would like."

The question has clearly touched a raw nerve and you feel a certain degree of sympathy for players who spend their lives being snapped by the paparazzi as they go about their daily lives - an issue which Ferdinand feels has contributed to the common perception that footballers are out of touch with the man on the street.

"There's a bigger divide between the fan and the player nowadays because people see the vast amounts of money players earn as a big problem," he concedes. "And then there's the whole interest in footballers and the way the media are in terms of the derogatory press that is sometimes promoted.

"You've got a story on a player here, mobile phones with cameras...it makes players clam up and not want to go to certain places because they think 'I'm gonna get camera-ed here by somebody who can earn £500 for giving someone a photo'. It's an automatic defence mechanism that makes people shy away a little bit and that's probably why the divide has come between the fan and the footballer.

"I still go out with my mates to the local pub and sit and have a drink, and sometimes when you get fans coming up and asking for autographs it's great, because that's part and parcel of being a footballer. But when you're with your kids it can be difficult because your kids are losing out (on your attention). The only way to look at it is that if you're not being asked for your autograph then you must be doing rubbish!

Looking around the swish members club in the heart of London's banking district which is hosting the launch, I must confess to being more than a little detached from the modern-day footballer. It feels like the place is dripping in gold.

There's a constant flow of champagne, a bevy of gorgeous women and of course the players themselves and their assorted hangers-on. A few have come to show their support to Rio, most notably Ashley Cole and his West Ham namesake, Carlton. It's noticeable that Ashley spends the whole evening surrounded by male friends, just in case someone is lurking with one of those pesky camera phones.

It's certainly a world away from Nigeria, where Ferdinand spent time last summer to promote education to children through football. "That was a very humbling experience that puts everything into perspective in terms of materialistic issues," he says.

"It makes you understand how fortunate you are to be in the position we are when you go there and see the way people live on the other side of the world. In many cases the way they live is a complete contrast to the way we do. It makes you realise that when you're moaning about traffic, or getting the wrong pizza delivered....it makes you realise we are lucky even to be able to order a pizza."

Ferdinand is keen to return there soon, but knows he cannot give 100% commitment to anything until his footballing days are over, particularly now, aged 30, as he finds himself entering the twilight of his career.

"I've been in the game a long time now and I find myself acting a little bit like a big brother to some of the younger guys," he admits.

"It only seems like yesterday when I was being talked to by the likes of Iain Dowie and Ian Wright at West Ham. I'm now in the same period of my career as they were back then. You evolve into a different person.You've got responsibilites being one of the senior players in the changing room."

So will he take that one step further and move into management when he eventually retires?

"Sometimes I wake up and think I'd love to be a manager. Other days I'd like to get really into my charity work with my 'Live The Dream' foundation and other days doing something like this in the media. Who knows? I'm not sure.

"But what I really want to do at the moment is concentrate on playing football. That's what I love more than anything else - and that is my true love. If I thought anything else I was doing outside of that would diminish it then I wouldn't do it, but at the moment it's working well."

And with a clutch of honours already under his belt, another Premier League title within touching distance and the small matter of a Champions League double-header with Arsenal coming up, it's hard to disagree.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Didn't see that girl from the other thread on his new web magazine. But I only really watched the MLP bit and the tricks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The private life of Rio Ferdinand
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:22 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

He has started some good works with that foundation and stuff... hope he gets made official captain for next season.

Post subject: Re: The private life of Rio Ferdinand
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:42 am 
Major General
Major General

He should be the captain long time ago

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post subject: Rio eyes end to injury woes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Rio Ferdinand hopes a solid base of fitness in pre-season will help eradicate the niggling injuries that disrupted his 2008/09 campaign.

Ferdinand was a major injury doubt for the Champions League final in Rome, playing on despite having recently suffered a calf injury. That said, Rio still made 43 appearances last term. However, had he not suffered back, groin and rib problems, that figure would certainly have been much higher.

"It's probably the first season I've ever suffered injuries really," said the Reds defender. "But I still played 43 games. I accept I missed a few so hopefully this season it'll be back to normal practice."

The 30-year-old acknowledges that injuries, aches and pains come with the number of games it takes to reach the latter stages of every tournament you compete in.

"You prefer to go into every game feeling you are the best you can be physically. But realistically the football season doesn't allow for that. You carry niggles for most of the season. The Champions League final was no different."

So far, Ferdinand is pleased with the groundwork he has been putting in, first at Carrington, and now on the Asia Tour.

"It's going all right," he told the Press Association. "The main thing, as we say every year, is fitness. We are trying to get ourselves to a good stage of fitness. We enjoy it. It is nice to be playing. You would rather have that than be running around on the training ground. The more games you play the better you feel."

"I have been doing a little bit extra work on my own as well, but I've started the pre-season with everybody else and been happy with it."

Ferdinand also says the Reds squad is "buzzing" after the start Michael Owen has made to his Reds career. It may not have been against top-standard opposition, but Owen's two goals in two games so far this summer is a pleasing sight.

"The lads get a great buzz out of seeing someone like Michael Owen score goals," he said. "When he signed there were a lot of doubters. People said this and that... we've heard it all. But the players go in there with an open mind. We just hope to see the player we know Michael can be.

"So far this pre-season he has played two games and scored two goals. That speaks for itself. There are not many better finishers in world football when he is on his game.

"He is one of those players who you might not see for 90 minutes but in time added on, he will score a goal. Those are the type of players you need to win things. It is great to have him in our squad. He is a great lad as well. Fingers crossed he can have an injury free season and score some goals for us."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Rio's Braaaap Braaaap Thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:21 am 
Captain
Captain

By PAT SHEEHAN

Published: Today

MANCHESTER UNITED are heading for a Ronaldo-style battle to hang on to Rio Ferdinand.

The England defender is a target for Barcelona and Real Madrid - and knows a move to Spain will boost his growing business career.

Ferdinand is under contract until 2013 but United could be tempted to cash in on a player who is 30 and who has suffered from recent injury problems.

A move to Spain would give brand Rio the kind of platform both David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo have exploited at Madrid.

A source revealed: "Rio can see the sense of it.

"Not only would it be a fresh challenge as he nears the end of his career, it would also fit all his projects off the pitch.

"Rio has big business plans, which are already taking shape, and would really take off if he moved to one of the big Spanish clubs."

Ferdinand's growing portfolio includes running a record label and a football agency. He is also about to launch a lifestyle management company.

Another off-the-field project is #5 Magazine, which uses the latest digital technology.

Elsewhere, the Rio Ferdinand Live The Dream foundation was established last year to give young people from disadvantaged backgrounds the chance to take part in sports, arts and cultural activities.

A launch party in December, costing £495 per head, will feature Prime Minister Gordon Brown as a guest speaker.

Post subject: Re: The Sun says 'CheRIO'.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

depoends on how much they offer for him and who's around we coulld replace him with. I can see the back problems cropping up more and more over the next few years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:26 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Can't see why Barca or Real want him.
Yes he is good , but as said by Jarv he's not getting younger and his back not getting better .
So It's going to be short term and is that what they need.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:26 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
Great player that he is, he's becoming worryingly injury-prone.

How old is he now? 30? If Barca or Real offer anything in excess of £15M I think United should take it.

I think the story is b******s though. Anything with quotes from "a source" always is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I imagine it's a nothing story as well Rio has said a number of time he wants to stay in England and there are no quotes in there to suggest otherwise. As for replacements Johnny Evans is getting better all the time and in 2 years time I think will be on par with Rio.

I don't really see why Barca would want him they've already got a fair few CB options and have just signed someone from Shaktar for £22m. Real might be interested but I don't think we'll see much more big spending from them apart from Ribery next season.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand: I was a fan of Liverpool's legends

Rio reveals boyhood admiration for Anfield heroes…

Rio Ferdinand, freshly linked with Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid, has risked the displeasure of Manchester United fans by confessing to a previously undocumented respect for Liverpool's past stars.

Ferdinand told his club's official TV channel, MUTV: "As a kid, Liverpool were the team that were doing well, with the likes of John Barnes and John Aldridge, and United weren't really winning anything.
"On my estate [in Peckham, south London], all my mates were Liverpool fans."

However, Ferdinand clarified that he was not exactly a fan of the club itself, moreso of star players of the era.

He clarified: "But I was more a fan of players than clubs. Players like John Barnes, Paul Ince, Paul Gascoigne.

"But as soon as United came in for me, it was a no-brainer. I feared that, if I didn't take the opportunity, I might never get it again."

The England international is tipped to be the future Manchester United captain when stalwarts Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs retire, but his recurring back injury and the fresh transfer rumours cast doubt on Ferdinand's future at Old Trafford.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Re: Rio's Braaaap Braaaap Thread
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
A caravan park on the north Wales coast is not the most obvious holiday destination for a highly-paid Manchester United superstar.

But holidaymakers at Presthaven Sands in Prestatyn found themselves alongside Rio Ferdinand on a £400 family break.

The England defender joined his fiancee and two sons in a caravan, enjoying the go-karts and other attractions.

Ferdinand seems to have joined the trend for "staycation" holidays during the credit crunch, for a day at least.

The player, who cost Man United about £30m when he moved from Leeds in 2002, posed for pictures and signed autographs.

Haven Holidays said it had no idea Ferdinand was coming until he arrived.

"He really seemed to enjoy himself," said a company spokeswoman.

"He was happy to sign autographs and have his picture taken as he mingled affably with other holidaymakers".

Rio Ferdinand at the holiday park
Some of the other children that were holidaying at the park went absolutely wild when they saw Rio
Haven Holidays

"We were delighted that he and his family chose to come and enjoy themselves at Presthaven.

"Some of the other children that were holidaying at the park went absolutely wild when they saw Rio and he spent more than an hour mixing with the crowd."

The paparazzi were nowhere to be seen, but fellow holidaymakers were quick to snap the star enjoying himself on the go-karts.

Ferdinand arrived at Presthaven Sands at the end of his August while his fiancee Rebecca Ellison and their two sons, aged three and one, were spending a weekend in one of the site's top-of-the-range caravans, costing about £400.

The Presthaven website describes the caravans: "There's clever storage, high levels of comfort and all the essentials that you need for a great holiday, our good value standard range has everything you need, whilst at the top of the range, platinum offer the ultimate in quality and style for that special 'wow' factor offering you the best of everything."

While footballers' holidays are more typically associated with Dubai and the south of France, Ferdinand is known for sometimes breaking the stereotype.

He once told the BBC that he travelled around Russia on his own because he was curious about the country.

Ferdinand was not the only celebrity to spend a holiday in north Wales this summer.

Comedian Les Dennis enjoyed a break at Haven's Hafan y Mor site - the former Butlin's holiday camp at Pwllheli - where he spent many of his childhood holidays and won a talent competition at the age of 14.

The Haven spokeswoman said Dennis had enjoyed watching a talent contest.

link with piccies http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8246377.stm

Post subject: Re: His name is Rio
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The SUN wrote:
RIO FERDINAND is facing the axe from Alex Ferguson as fears grow at Old Trafford that the defender is past his best.

Ferdinand, 30, was caught out for Fernando Torres' opener in Liverpool's 2-0 win over Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday.

But this is not the first time the England centre-back has been found wanting this season.

Now the club management are concerned that Ferdinand has lost two yards of pace and that he might never recover his best form.

The change could come as soon as Saturday's home game to Blackburn as boss Ferguson is ready to give Jonny Evans an extended run in the side alongside Nemanja Vidic.

Serb Vidic has been below form recently and is suspended for tonight's Carling Cup tie at Barnsley after seeing red at Anfield.

Yet Fergie does not have as many concerns over him as he does Ferdinand.

Ferguson has even questioned whether Ferdinand is doing well enough to get into Fabio Capello's England squad for next summer's World Cup.

Fergie said: "He has to get good form.

"That's an important issue for the coach to pick the right team.

"In defence you've maybe got more options than other positions.

"He'll need to get his form right."

Ferdinand, who has been struggling with thigh, calf, groin and back problems, made high-profile boobs in last month's Manchester derby and England's recent games with Holland and Ukraine.

Yet he said: "I'm not interested in proving anyone wrong.

"I'm not interested in what people say about me.

"I'm just trying to get games under my belt."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:07 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

With Evans sitting waiting he needs to find his form shortly or this is a real possibility.

I'm not prepared to throw him on the scrap heap just yet but unfortunately there are no room for passengers at Utd and bit decisions have to be made. I honestly thought 2 years ago he'd play well into his 30's for us and captain the side.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
He's had a tough time with injuries lately, but if he gets his head down and works then he'll be able to get back to form. He might not ever be quite as good, back injuries are tough to recover fully from, but if he can get his fitness back and keep his concentration up then he'll be ok.

Failing that we could offer him to Madrid for £40m, or City for £50m... one of them is bound to go for it :lol:

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:19 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Rather Madrid just in case he gets good again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:22 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
He's made a few high profile mistakes this season but I think people are going over board. I would like to see a settled back four over the next while, with VDS behind them and we'll be fine. The only question mark in our back four imo is at RB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:22 am 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:

That's a fair point... flog him on to Madrid, and bring in... erm... not quite sure who really... Cahill and/or Jagielka maybe?

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Devil_Spawn wrote:
JSP wrote:

That's a fair point... flog him on to Madrid, and bring in... erm... not quite sure who really... Cahill and/or Jagielka maybe?

Jagielka would be a fantastic signing if he recovers from injury i think if we signed him Moyes would explode with rage after what happened with Lescott :lol:

I'd give Evans his chance to prove himself but we'd need to sign someone as cover we have this option on Shawcross apparently and he's been fantastic for Stoke in the last year.

Getting ahead of ourselves i don't think Rio is going any where soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:36 am 
Major General
Major General

JSP wrote:
Jagielka would be a fantastic signing if he recovers from injury i think if we signed him Moyes would explode with rage after what happened with Lescott :lol:

I'd give Evans his chance to prove himself but we'd need to sign someone as cover we have this option on Shawcross apparently and he's been fantastic for Stoke in the last year.

Getting ahead of ourselves i don't think Rio is going any where soon.

If Jagielka regains his form, and Rio doesn't then Phil could be playing for England next summer IMO. He was absolutely immense last season, and with him Everton might've gone on to win the FA Cup, but we'll never know. It must've been devastating for him to get that injury and miss the cup final.

So, Shawcross, Jagielka, Evans... we can flog Rio and Vidic :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Devil_Spawn wrote:
If Jagielka regains his form, and Rio doesn't then Phil could be playing for England next summer IMO. He was absolutely immense last season, and with him Everton might've gone on to win the FA Cup, but we'll never know. It must've been devastating for him to get that injury and miss the cup final.

So, Shawcross, Jagielka, Evans... we can flog Rio and Vidic :lol:

Watched Cathcart the other day he's on loan at Watford and he looked pretty good as well :p

Northern Ireland future CB partnership Evans and Catchcart could be Utd's :lol:

Jagielka was the better player out of him and Lescott imo if Lescott was worth £24m the Jags is worth £30m. Still don't think he's England class he's like the leader of the back up pack Upson, Lescott, Cahill, Brown etc.

The only top draw English CB's imo are Rio, Terry, Carragher, Woodgate & King. Only two of them are really available for England as Carragher retired and King/Woodgate just aren't fit enough so can't really be considered which is a shame as both are awesome defenders.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next