Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 24/08 - Liverpool Vs Aston Villa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Daniel Agger will have back surgery next week and is likely to be out for six weeks, missing Monday night's clash with Aston Villa at Anfield.

The Liverpool defender has missed the first two Premier League games of the season, having been troubled with the injury all summer.

He adds to boss Rafael Benitez's defensive injury problems.

Martin Skrtel is also a doubt for the visit of Martin O'Neill's side, which means that teenager Daniel Ayala stands by having made his full debut in the 4-0 win over Stoke on Wednesday.

New Greek defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos could also figure once his £2m move has been completed and international clearance acquired.

Aston Villa defender Curtis Davies is doubtful after a recurrence of his shoulder problem.

Davies suffered the setback during the latter stages of the Europa League clash away to Rapid Vienna and his replacement, rookie Shane Lowry, is amongst the candidates to replace him although Habib Beye could switch from right-back.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill will also be hoping striker John Carew is fit to make his first appearance of the season - the Norwegian missed the home league reversal by Wigan with a foot injury and then pulled out of the Vienna game with a virus.

Teams:

Liverpool (from): Reina, Johnson, Ayala, Skrtel, Carragher, Insua, Dossena, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt, Torres, Voronin, Cavalieri, Kelly, Riera, Ngog, Spearing, Plessis.

Aston Villa (from): Friedel, Guzan, Beye, Cuellar, Davies, Lowry, Shorey, Gardner, Milner, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Sidwell, A. Young, Heskey, Agbonlahor, Carew, Clark, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 24/08 - Liverpool Vs Aston Villa
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:45 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'd hate to see a central defender go straight into the side after a couple of days training. Ayala put up a good enough performance to keep a spot. Remember when Skrtel went into the side - think it was a cup game - Havant and Waterloo? - he looked absolutely pants. Villa have got a lot of pace, and I think the new Greek is just asking for a shed load of back page Stavros jokes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I think Liverpool to win 2-0. nice time to be playing Villa

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

a mate at work is a villa fan and he has lost all confidence in O'Neil, and tbf i can see where he's comming from, loosing Laursen and Barry and replacing them with a good prospect and not much else. They need a lot more than they have now to challenge for Europe and i can only see them getting mid table this year.

As i've read somewhere else today, imagine how well Everton could be doing if Moyes had the money available O'Neil does!

I'm thinking an easy 2-0 to pool in this one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:50 pm 
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm going for 2-1. I just can't see a clean sheet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lawro Says
Quote:
MONDAY

Liverpool v Aston Villa (2000)

Liverpool, after a poor start against Tottenham, were very good against Stoke on Wednesday, taking them apart at times.

Villa, though, had a poor start to their season with defeat against Wigan, and they just don't look strong enough defensively at the moment.

With that in mind, I expect Liverpool to pick up where they left off against the Potters and make it successive victories.

Verdict: 2-0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Feck i've predicted the same as Lawro :coat:

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:22 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 4
fivegoldstars wrote:
I'd hate to see a central defender go straight into the side after a couple of days training. Ayala put up a good enough performance to keep a spot. Remember when Skrtel went into the side - think it was a cup game - Havant and Waterloo? - he looked absolutely pants. Villa have got a lot of pace, and I think the new Greek is just asking for a shed load of back page Stavros jokes.

I was pretty impressed with Ayala as well, very sturdy and mature performance, that you rarely get from young central defenders, looks like a good prospect for the future.

I wish Agger would sort out his injuries as he would be my first choice at the back to partner Carra. Something makes me think he is going to be another Ledley King, has had far to many injuries over the last couple of seasons.

I think a fit Carew makes a big difference to the Villa side, so if he plays Liverpool may well concede. Early season optimism makes me say 3-1 :pray:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
I think Liverpool will take the three points here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mystic Jarv says
Quote:
Liverpool Vs Aston Villa
What has gone wrong at Villa, they look poor defensively and lack cutting edge going forward, many more bad results and O'Neill will be under immense pressure. Its not just the beginning of this season their form at the end of the last campaign must be a worry for Villa fans.

Liverpool were very poor against Tottenham but looked much better against Stoke Defensively Liverpool have some worries and have signed Sotirios Kyrgiakos to bolster their defensive line, whether he starts only Rafa knows.

Mystic Jarv Predicts Villa to get their first goal of the season but Liverpool to win 3-1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:32 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Me thinks Mystic Jarv has overdosed on the wine gums. Liverpool 3 -0. Can't see Villa scoring. :no:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

idontfeardeath wrote:
Feck i've predicted the same as Lawro :coat:

Me too :suicide:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

can only see there being a single goal in this, hopefully to our advantage, would not be righting off villa or oneil just yet, will be nice to see how our new defender gets on in the prem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

James Milner believes Aston Villa should take encouragement from their away performances last season when they tackle Liverpool at Anfield on Monday evening.

The England winger admits Martin O'Neill's side have to put on a better showing than in their home league defeat to Wigan and the loss away to Rapid Vienna in the Europa League play-off.

But Milner takes heart from Villa's record of 10 league victories on the road during the 2008-09 campaign, including a win at Arsenal - although they were hammered 5-0 at Liverpool during a dismal end to the season.

Milner said: "I don't think it's a good or a bad thing that we've got Liverpool next. It doesn't really matter. You've got to play everyone at some point in the season.

"Obviously they had a bad result at the start of the season (at Tottenham) but they've come back strongly with a win against Stoke so we've got to bounce back quickly as well.

"It's never an easy place to go but it's early in the season and we need to find our form. We showed signs of that against Rapid, when we passed the ball around well, so we just need to get into our stride a bit quicker.

"It's a hard game whenever you play at Anfield but it's up to us to go there and play better than we have done in the two previous games and keep improving."

Milner added: "We obviously had a disappointing day at Liverpool last year.

"With the quality we've got here, we should never lose by that margin so it would be nice if we could bounce back and get all three points.

"We're a good team away from home as we proved at the Emirates Stadium last year so we have to go out and put on a performance.

"It's important and you always want to get your first points on the board as early as possible. We didn't do that on the first day so now we have the chance to go to Liverpool and get a good result."

Manager O'Neill points to how Villa suffered a similar early-season setback 12 months ago at Stoke but then responded in positive style to set up a challenge for a Champions League spot before their late fade-out.

O'Neill said: "You just don't forget these results but you get on with it. Look at Everton, they finished above us last season and had a great season but they had a bit of turmoil and got beaten (by Arsenal).

"We all have to fight back from things. It's a long season and I think it's about getting the first win.

"At a similar stage last season we went to Stoke and got beaten by a late goal and that was dispiriting.

"But we fought back against Liverpool, and drew at home with them, and then by winning away games at Tottenham and West Brom.

"We are capable of getting over it (the Wigan result)."

O'Neill added: "The disappointing aspect was really in terms of our overall performance. That can happen but it just wasn't good enough.

"I didn't expect that because our pre-season had been good in terms of playing lots of games quickly and trying to get fit.

"But it's early season. What you don't want is to get too far behind."

Villa centre-back Curtis Davies is doubtful for the trip to Anfield after a recurrence of his shoulder problem.

Davies suffered the setback during the latter stages of the Vienna clash and his replacement, rookie Shane Lowry, is amongst the candidates to replace him, although Habib Beye could switch from right-back.

O'Neill, who is continuing his pursuit of Sylvain Distin and Stephen Warnock to bolster his back four, will also be hoping striker John Carew is fit to make his first appearance of the season.

Carew, the club's top scorer for the past two seasons, missed the Wigan match with a foot injury and then pulled out of the Vienna game with a virus.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Rafael Benitez today urged his players to claim another three home points against Aston Villa tonight - and serve notice that Anfield will be a fortress for opposition teams this season.
Having comfortably seen off the challenge of Stoke City in midweek the Reds go into this evening's fixture full of confidence, and with their manager insisting home victories will be key to a title challenge this time around.

"We have talked about trying to push teams from the beginning at Anfield," Benitez said.

"If we can create some chances in the first few minutes it sends out a good message. It's important to show teams our desire to win. At home we have fantastic fans behind us pushing us on.

"It's vital our home form is good. Teams already know that coming to Anfield is difficult and the more games we win the more difficult they will realise it is."

Villa will arrive on Merseyside still haunted by their 5-0 thrashing at Anfield last term - and Benitez is hoping his side can produce a similarly deadly display to ensure they keep pace with the early season league leaders.

"We were on a good run at that time, we played really well and scored a lot of goals," Benitez added.

"That was very positive and hopefully we can play at that level against Villa once again. The confidence of the players is high after the Stoke game but this will be a totally different game.

"Villa are a good team with quality and pace. They also have plenty of experience."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:14 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

At home I can't see Liverpool losing this one. I'm expecting a huge victory margin for them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:34 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

5-1 to the pool...torres hat trick... :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:40 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
Yep, easy victory for Liverpool here. Villa just aren't at it this season, and they ALWAYS lose to Liverpool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:07 pm 
Major General
Major General

PMDK wrote:
Yep, easy victory for Liverpool here. Villa just aren't at it this season, and they ALWAYS lose to Liverpool.

Villa haven't been at it since February, which is a long time for any team to be poor and not be "in crisis"

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I couldnt believe that they'd been so bad since Feb. Its such a long time.

If Carew plays tonight they might have a better chance, Heskey has been pretty pathetic for them.