AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smoggie Life
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
BC must be in his element.

Valdes done Negrado on the verge and talks of Subotic

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's all feeling very surreal right now. If we manage all these signings it's fair to assume we'll win the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Middlesbrough hope to strike a deal that will bring the Valencia forward Álvaro Negredo to the Riverside Stadium.

The newly promoted Teessiders are understood to have opened talks over the 30-year-old former Manchester City frontman as the head coach, Aitor Karanka, looks to boost the firepower at his disposal in the Premier League.

However, the negotiations are proving painstaking with Boro seeking an initial loan agreement without taking on full responsibility for the player’s existing financial package.

Discussions are understood to have been going on for some time and, though progress has been made, any deal remains distant.

The Spaniard, born in Madrid, scored 23 goals in his one season at City before returning to Spain to join Valencia, initially on loan and then in a £19m permanent switch.

He has managed five league goals in each of his last two La Liga campaigns, although his physical presence has proved a weapon.

Boro have also been credited with interest in Negredo’s club-mate Antonio Barragan, a 29-year-old right-back.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:39 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Negredo deal almost done

8m accepted by BD for Neven Subotic. wow! wasnt this quite sought after, a few years back ??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He was the man who played alongside Hummels under Klopp think he'd bounced around a few clubs before that but I'm pretty sure he's had a few nasty injuries over the last few seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:19 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I get the impression that AK and Gibson are taking something of a gamblers approach here. Three highly rated players who have had big injuries over the last couple of years. Could end up being amazing or terrible.

Negredo similarly feels like a slight risk but hell, we're Middlesbrough, if we sign Negredo I'm going to be loving this madness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

With the amount of money in the prem it's got to be worth taking the gamble? You go back down offload the players on large contracts and take the parachute payments to stabilise you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's all well and good saying that but it all depends on what clauses the players will accept big name players probably aren't going to accept 50% wage cuts if you're relegated unless you give them clauses which basically let them leave for nothing to get them off the wage bill it's really a case of how long you are prepared to gamble riding out the parachute payments in that division.

This is the Boro we all remember signing random foreign players any chance of Ravanelli coming out of retirement?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Let's get Juninho back as well. What a side they had for a few seasons there.

Negredo due for a medical today apparently. Would be a great signing. Was lethal for a time at City. Due to pay him £100k per week. A newly promoted side paying a player £100k per week. Insane. Hope it pays off. Gibson always seemed like one of the good guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Always wonder with Negredo if that one season at City was a bit of a fluke as he's never looked the same since and didn't really look that good before he joined them they just had a ridiculously good attacking team that season Negredo, Aguero, Silva, Navas, Nasri, Yaya Toure it was raining goals that season for City.

If they sign Negredo what does that mean for Rhodes surely having spent big money on him in January you've got to give him a chance in the Prem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:58 am 
Major General
Major General

Could have been a fluke. From what I remember he was smashing them in until around Christmas, then had a massive drought in the second half of the season. Either way, he's an imposing figure that has experience. I'm sure he'll offer them something, even if it is a bit of a gamble.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You could be write I remember him getting off to a great start scored a couple of great goals remember him turning and smashing one in from about 25 yards which I think was against Spurs plus he was lethal in the air.

I remember the summer debate was who would be better Negredo at City or Soldado at Spurs and a lot of people tipped Soldado but it obviously never worked out that way.

Negredo strikes me as a bit of a laid back character who only plays well when he's angry and it's very hard to get him fired up but when you do he can be almost unplayable because physically he's so impossing and when his touch is on there's nothing you can do to stop him at times

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Done deal.

I'm cautiously excited. He could end up being dire but hopefully he's up for it. AK and Leo our insane goalkeeping coach are full of fire so maybe they can get him motivated. Even if he just wants to use us as a shop window.

I'm not sure what it means for Rhodes. He was pretty average in all honesty so they're probably worried.. I'm sure he'll given a chance but we need to play a certain way to get the best out of him.

Subotic deal is off though apparently.. Rumour is that he failed the medical.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yeah I saw the reports on Subotic, though Dortmund have denied the move is off. Sounds like you're well clear of him. He was out for a while at the end of last season with thrombosis in his arm, and has a history of back problems. That doesn't sound like a reliable player to me. When Rio started having back problems it was the beginning of the end for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I've got a £100 bet with a boro fan they won't finish top 10 so they can stop signing players now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Middlesbrough have agreed a deal to sign striker Alvaro Negredo on a season-long loan from Valencia.

The 30-year-old Spaniard won the Premier League during a spell at Manchester City, scoring 23 goals in 48 appearances in the 2013-14 season.

He has spent the past two seasons at Valencia, scoring 18 goals in 76 appearances for the Spanish club.

Negredo has played 21 times for Spain and was part of their 2012 European Championship-winning squad.

He will be reunited with former Valencia team-mate Antonio Barragan, who has joined Boro on a three-year contract.

Boro are also close to a deal to re-sign Southampton midfielder Gaston Ramirez, and remain hopeful of a deal to buy Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic.

Ramirez, 25, scored seven goals in 18 games on loan at Boro last season as they won promotion to the Premier League and is set to sign a three-year deal.

Subotic, 27, has had a medical with Boro and the club are now attempting to renegotiate a fee with Dortmund.

I remember you saying Rhodes struggled and IIRC he created a bit of a rift between Karanka and Gibson which nearly caused Karanka to walk.

I saw Boro a few times on TV looked a solid side defensively will be interesting to see if they can keep that good defensive record up in the PL as the difference in quality of attacking players is massive between the two divisions.

Hard to predict where anyone is going to finish next season

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

Dortmund have confirmed Subotic has suffered a long term injury.

Bullet dodged!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah definitely, we've already signed Fisher following a bad injury, Espinosa following a big injury.. And Negredo off the back of a poor season. Really didn't need another potential crock.

And yeah JSP there certainly was rumour that the Rhodes signing was not asked for by AK. Who knows on that one.

As for the defence, very solid last season, helped no end by our style of play and having Clayton and Leadbitter cleaning up in front. Other issue is Ayala is quite injury prone too, seems to have a couple of important months out at least, nearly every season. So we're worryingly short at the back really. I think that'll be the main aim now though with Negredo done, Fisher in, Ramirez back, De Roon in, Valdes in.. Defence is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:17 pm 
Major General
Major General

Is Valdes coming in to be your number one? That would concern me if so. He looked shaky beyond belief when out on loan last season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:44 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No idea at the moment. Hasn't played a game in pre season. I think it'd be harsh on Dimi to not let him start the season but it depends on how highly AK rates Valdes. He might be treating this as a "no place for sentiment" situation.. If he thinks Valdes is great.

I did have my doubts about Valdes to be honest, most people have gone mad with excitement because obviously be was Barca number one for so long. Forgetting he's done sod all for a few years and even at Barca he was prone to an error. We'll see how it goes I guess..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next