AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Smoggie Life
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Middlesbrough have confirmed Ross Turnbull will be leaving the club, but hope Matthew Bates will stay at the Riverside.

Turnbull is out of contract at the end of the month and has rejected an offer of a new deal after making 22 Premier League appearances last season.

He has been linked with a move to Chelsea and Boro chief executive Keith Lamb says the 24-year-old wants to leave in order to play regular first-team football.

"Ross has written and told us that he's rejected our contract offers and he will be free from the end of June to join whichever club he chooses," Lamb told the club's official website.

"We didn't want Ross to leave, we've been negotiating with him and his agent for the last eight months. We felt he had a future at Middlesbrough and we made him a number of offers over the last 12 months.

"They were exceptional offers for a goalkeeper who has played less than 30 games for Middlesbrough's first team. Each one was rejected by Ross and his advisors and consequently he has now informed us that it is his intention to pursue his career elsewhere.

"The reason Ross consistently gave us (for not signing) was that he wanted to play regular first-team football.

"I assume Ross will be going to a club where he will get regular first-team football. But we don't know who that club will be, time alone will tell. We wish him well and hope it works out for him."

Meanwhile, Lamb is hopeful that versatile youngster Bates will sign an extension to his contract, which also expires in a few weeks' time.

He added: "Matthew has a real dilemma. He's a local boy with a great love for the football club.

"His dilemma is his heart tells him he should stay at Middlesbrough because it's his local team and he wants us to do well and get us back into the Premier League as quickly as possible.

"It's going to be difficult for Matthew, but contract negotiations are continuing and we're hopeful we can persuade him to stay with Middlesbrough and that this is where his future lies.

"We are still very hopeful that he will stay. If he goes we'll understand the reasons, but he knows we don't want him go and we're optimistic he'll stay."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Marlon Harewood Set For Middlesbrough Switch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:

The Aston Villa striker is ready to help Boro bounce back to the Premier League...

Out-of-favour Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood is close to securing a move to Middlesbrough, according to reports in The Daily Mirror.

The Championship club are keen on the £1.5 million rated striker, who only made one Premier League start last term.

Harewood has shown he is prepared to drop down a division in order to secure first-team football after a spell on loan at Wolves last season. However the newly promoted side have rejected the chance of a permanent deal.

Villa will not stop the 29-year-old from moving on and Middlesbrough are prepared to meet the Birmingham side's valuation of the player.

Boro manager Gareth Southgate will be looking to rebuild his strikeforce with Afonso Alves set to quit the Teeside club for a move to Portugal.

David Kifford, Goal.com

Couple of Marlons up front....nice!

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Marlon Harewood Set For Middlesbrough Switch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:37 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resurrection Joe wrote:
Quote:

The Aston Villa striker is ready to help Boro bounce back to the Premier League...

Out-of-favour Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood is close to securing a move to Middlesbrough, according to reports in The Daily Mirror.

The Championship club are keen on the £1.5 million rated striker, who only made one Premier League start last term.

Harewood has shown he is prepared to drop down a division in order to secure first-team football after a spell on loan at Wolves last season. However the newly promoted side have rejected the chance of a permanent deal.

Villa will not stop the 29-year-old from moving on and Middlesbrough are prepared to meet the Birmingham side's valuation of the player.

Boro manager Gareth Southgate will be looking to rebuild his strikeforce with Afonso Alves set to quit the Teeside club for a move to Portugal.

David Kifford, Goal.com

Couple of Marlons up front....nice!

Couple of melons, more like. :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Harewood might be alright actually, in the championship.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

My condolences borocooper :(

:lol:

Post subject: Boro Not For Sale
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson has strongly denied reports he is ready to sell the club.

The Sunday Express claimed the lifelong Boro fan was ready to end his day-to-day involvement with the club and invite outside investment following their relegation to the Coca-Cola Championship.

But Gibson on Sunday issued a strongly-worded statement insisting he is committed to restoring the Teessiders to the top flight.

"This report is totally inaccurate," said Gibson.

"The club is not for sale. I'm absolutely committed to Middlesbrough Football Club and I'm going to stay with the club. The fans can ignore this silly report.

"I've made that absolutely clear in the recent past. My sole focus for Middlesbrough Football Club is getting us back in the Premier League. That's what we're all working towards and we believe we can do it."

Boro chief executive Keith Lamb echoed the owner's thoughts, dismissing the reports as "wide of the mark".

"Steve and I have gone to extraordinary lengths recently to make it clear to the media that the club is not for sale and never has been," said Lamb.

"Steve's commitment remains as strong as ever. We would not normally react to what has become known as football's 'silly season' but this is so wide of the mark it's important Boro fans know that Steve's loyalty to the club has never wavered."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Bates Boost For Boro
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Middlesbrough utility man Matthew Bates has signed a three-year contract extension to end speculation over his future.

The 22-year-old, who has been linked with Wolves, Wigan, West Ham and Fulham since Boro's relegation from the Premier League, has committed himself to the club until 2012.

That will come as a huge boost to manager Gareth Southgate, who used him both at the back and in central midfield following his return from a third cruciate ligament operation last season.

Southgate had made the Stockton-born player's retention one of his priorities as he plots a swift return to the top flight.

Chief executive Keith Lamb said: "We are delighted Matthew has decided to commit his future to Middlesbrough.

Bates, a member of the club's FA Youth Cup winning side in 2004, has endured an injury nightmare since breaking into the senior squad.

However, his form at the end of last season impressed Southgate, particularly when he was asked to plug a gap in the middle of midfield.

But the drop into the Championship left Bates with a desperately difficult decision to make as his existing deal drew to a close.

Asked last month if staying at the Riverside was his preferred option, he said: "Yes, it, of course it is.

"It's the club I support, it's the club my family support.

"But it's a big decision for my future as well. I am out of contract in the summer and ultimately, I would like to stay in the Premier League.

"It's going to be a very difficult decision to make either way whatever I do, and it is going to be an important one as well."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Smoggie Life
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

One Teessider has returned to pre-season training late, while another is still AWOL.

Middlesbrough's preparations for life in the Championship have begun in an unprofessional manner as a couple of experienced players missed the start of pre-season training, according to a report in The Independent.

Brazilian striker Afonso Alves, though, has returned to training after allegedly being absent on Monday and Tuesday.

Gareth Southgate is intent on overseeing an instant return to the Premier League, after an underwhelming campaign saw the Teesside outfit relegated from the top flight last term. The rookie English trainer faces an arduous task motivating a number of the club's elder stars.

The Press Association Sport, for instance, believe that Alves' future remains ambiguous, as does that of Egyptian striker Mido, who is yet to return to pre-season training.

A variety of internationals, such as Turkey's Tuncay Sanli, glovesman Brad Jones and England Under-21 pair Andrew Taylor and Adam Johnson, have all been granted extended holiday periods following their exploits for their respective countries at the end of last season.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Chelsea In For Adam Johnson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Curious stuff in The Daily Mail, and apparently having signed Ross Turnbull, Chelsea are after another player who spent a fair amount of time on the Boro bench last season.

Apparently they need more Englishmen for the pesky Champions League rules, and are willing to spend £8million on left-winger Johnson.

With Stewart Downing, Tuncay, Mido and Afonso Alves also on their way out, the Boro squad is starting to look a little lean, but never fear - Gareth Southgate apparently wants to pay £3million for Rob Hulse.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Middlesbrough's Pre-Season Preparations Hampered By Truancy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Cant say I was surprised when I found out Mido wasnt back..I mean, we already treated him quite badly..and he can go in a huff just for getting dropped, never mind being dropped then loaned out.

Alves though I was shocked about, he owes us for the way we stood by him.

Post subject: Re: Chelsea In For Adam Johnson
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Turnbull is a good keeper, and was only on the bench because he turned down a contract offer as far as im aware.

I really hope we dont sell Jinky to them..he'd be stupid to go there..they've just signed the other left winger.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:21 am 
Major General
Major General

I thought madrid wanted him :lol:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post subject: Re: Middlesbrough's Pre-Season Preparations Hampered By Truancy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:31 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Gotta love Egyptian strikers, they just do whatever they feel like :lol:

Agree that Alves should be showing a bit of loyalty and dedication to the side, afterall as a £12m striker he's done precisely naff all.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

Post subject: Wheater Not For Sale
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Gareth Southgate says Middlesbrough would not welcome any bids for David Wheater after reiterating the defender is not for sale.

Wheater is among the players to have been linked with a move away from the Riverside this summer following Boro's relegation from the Premier League.

The 22-year-old has pledged to stay at Boro this season and Southgate is looking to build his team around the likes of Wheater, who is confident of being fit for the opening game of the season against Sheffield United after undergoing keyhole surgery.

"David's not for sale," said Southgate in the Daily Express. "He and Matthew Bates, who has also committed himself to the club, are the types in terms of quality, hunger and desire that we want.

"We have to build our team around those types of characters. We have to make sure the dressing room stays tight through a period that could involve a lot of speculation.

"We wouldn't welcome bids for David. The key is that he has expressed his desire to stay. The agents that work with him have been very supportive in that and that's been refreshing for us as well.

"One of the next stages is for him to develop his leadership skills. People look at centre-halves and want good communicators. They want guys with physical stature, but who have leadership abilities, and we have to work at that.

"He has shown his ability and, with experience, that leadership will start to emerge."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The young English winger is reportedly attracting the interest of many teams this summer...

Middlesbrough winger Adam Johnson is thought to be the club's most sought-after player, according to The Daily Mail.

The England Under-21 international is reportedly being trailed by the likes of Chelsea, while other Premier League teams such as Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa, Everton, Manchester United and Liverpool are all thought to be interested in signing the 21-year-old.

The former Boro youth player is expected to leave the Riverside this summer after the club were relegated on the final day of last season.

The young winger is seen as the club's natural replacement to winger Stewart Downing, but Southgate may be resigned to losing both players this summer.

Downing is also rumoured to be leaving the club, but may have to wait until the January 2010 transfer window as he recovers from a lengthy injury.

Despite this injury, Aston Villa have allegedly made an offer for the 24-year-old.

The north east club could also be set to lose influential midfielder Tuncay Sanli, who is reportedly also wanted by Villa boss Martin O'Neill.

Johnson has been at the club for the past five years, and has since played 70 league games, scoring two goals.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Wheater Not For Sale
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well at least someone has stated that now, but I think most Boro fans were expecting him to stay anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb insists winger Adam Johnson won't leave the Riverside this summer.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate has claimed the England Under-21 star is his club's most sought-after player following their relegation to the Championship.

Chelsea are among the clubs to have been linked with him, while Real Madrid were also credited with an interest last season.

Lamb told the Daily Mirror: "Adam will not be leaving the club this summer.

"He was going to be with us whether we were in the Championship or the Premier League."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Smoggie Life
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Middlesbrough have rejected an offer for Afonso Alves, but are still waiting to receive bids for Tuncay Sanli.

Following relegation to the Championship, Boro are expecting strike duo Alves and Tuncay to leave the Riverside, with Stewart Downing having already been sold to Aston Villa.

Alves was a club-record signing for in excess of £12million from Heerenveen in 2008, but the Brazilian has struggled to make his mark in England.

He is understood to have been the subject of a £3million bid from a club in the United Arab Emirates, but Boro boss Gareth Southgate says the offer is not good enough.

"We've had a bid for Afonso, but it wasn't something we deemed to be acceptable," said Southgate in the Northern Echo. "To be honest, it wasn't anywhere near what we would accept."

Regarding Tuncay's situation, Southgate added: "We haven't had a bid for Tuncay, but we're waiting to see what happens.

"We're assuming that he'll move on, but nothing is guaranteed."

Meanwhile, Southgate confirmed that Egyptian striker Mido has still to return for pre-season training and will not be paid until he is back with the club.

"It's very simple - Mido has to get himself back and into training with us," continued Southgate.

"This club will not be paying anybody who is not in training with us.

"We'll deal with what happens after that as and when he's ready to join in with that training, but nothing will knock us off what we want to achieve."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No bids for Tuncay? What a world we live in!

It'll be a shame if Alves goes, he's got to be able to score goals in the championship.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
No bids for Tuncay? What a world we live in!

It'll be a shame if Alves goes, he's got to be able to score goals in the championship.

Considering I still think we're 1 striker short we could do a lot worse that making a bid for Tuncay with better players around him he'd look a decent player.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next