AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saints Go Marchin' On
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
The appointment couldn't have been made so fast if he hadn't been lined up ages ago. Apparently Adkins knew nothing about it until it went public either, which is shocking.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Even if you heard this guys name being linked your natural reaction would "the guy who got sacked by Espanyol 2 months ago? Bullsh*t" :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:20 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Spawny wrote:
Shocking decision, the guy got them back to back promotions and they're not on a bad run in the league. The fact that his replacement was already there to come in means they've been planning it for a while too.

Agreed. Having the other guy already lined up is really disrespectful, not an attitude that's likely to impress potential future managers and makes them a club to avoid working for imo.

I think it's an absolutely bizarre decision to sack him as he's consistently done well for them, unless there's something going on behind the scenes we don't know about? Even more surprising that they've replaced him with Mauricio Pochettino! :blink: What goes through their minds I can't imagine.

I think you're right about agents influence as well JSP, whenever they're involved there's always odd decisions. You'd think after spending all that money when they have no idea what they're doing that they at least got some decent advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Why does everyone judge these decisions before there's been any outcome from them? This might turn out to be a great appointment. Didn't everyone say Newcastle sacking Hughton and Chelsea sacking AVB were crazy knee jerk decisions, look what happened to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Kie99 wrote:
Why does everyone judge these decisions before there's been any outcome from them? This might turn out to be a great appointment. Didn't everyone say Newcastle sacking Hughton and Chelsea sacking AVB were crazy knee jerk decisions, look what happened to them.

I think they're mainly being judged on how they've treated a manager that's done very well for them.

It just seems harsh when they're playing fairly well and are above the relegation zone etc. Many, including me, think managers who bring a club up at least deserve a chance to see what they can do when they're up against the big boys before being sacked and replaced. It's terrible when they're sacked pre season of after only a few games when they've done all the hard work getting them there imo.

Not saying the new guy will work out any better or worse, and obviously it's up to the owners who the manager is, I just don't see what Adkins did to deserve the sack.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:58 pm 
Major General
Major General

Kie, if you're at work doing a perfectly good job, and your boss comes along and says "sorry, I'm getting rid of you because this bloke might be better" how would you react?

If they were cut adrift at the bottom of the league then fair enough, but they're not. They've lost 2 in the last 2 games, and have made their way out of the relegation zone.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I have no idea how he'll do my issue is a fairly young English manager has been sacked after back to back promotions and he isn't rock bottom of the league they've got a fighting chances of staying up.

Now we don't know what's happening behind the scenes it would seem that the owners couldn't wait to get rid of him. Maybe him and the owner don't get on are at each others throats all the time. Who knows?

Hughton lost his job because the club wanted to force high earners like Barton & Nolan out as they had to much power in the dressing room and as Hughton was loyal to those players they kicked out and got a go who couldn't give 2 sh*ts about them.

AVB made one big mistake imo he didn't sacrifice a big star in the summer he had to get the old guard out that was his brief imo he should've told Roman that in order for this to work 1 big name had to go. With the old Jose boys around he couldn't win the dressing room and when the old guard were benched they turned the whole dressing room on the manager leaving the club no choice.

No one knows what sort of job this new guy will do I just think that he didn't deserve to lose his job.

It's interesting with fans and loyalty though they only want loyalty from those who perform if you don't perform they want you gone. In this dog eat dog world you might find a championship side who will sack there manager just to take Adkins.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Do you think he wouldn't have left them if something better had come along?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Kie99 wrote:
Do you think he wouldn't have left them if something better had come along?

Probably yes that's life in any walk of life if you get a better offer and you're motivated to progress he would take it. You never know if he and his family are settled in that area he might be motivated to stay.

Also, Saints seem pretty ambitious they've got a fantastic setup with the stadium, training ground and academy plus they are spending cash they spent about £20m in the summer on Ramirez & Rodriguez. It's a club imo where he can build something now they're prem again if the can bring through another Walcott, Bale or Oxlade he could hold on to them. The LB Shaw has been getting great reviews and is linked to Arsenal and there are other young lads like Cork, Clyne & Lallana playing well. They have the potential to establish themselves so you don't know if he would leave. Just look at the problems Lambert is having at Villa the grass isn't always greener when you move to a bigger club.

Too me it's surprising to sack a manager like him and replace him with someone who doesn't know English football, hardly speaks the language and has little experience. I didn't get the impression that the fans had turned on him if the new guy doesn't hit the ground running fans will get on his back and that could make things worse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

That's exactly what Saints are doing, they think something better has come along so they're taking it. Framing it in the context of what Atkins deserves is unfair, the board don't exist to give people what they deserve, they act in the best interests of the club. It's a very bold move and I can see why people are questioning it, it's far too early to say whether it's a good or a bad move yet though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I reckon some Newcastle fans would take Hughton back at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You are spot on Kie but the board should also act in the best interests of the fans so for me in an ideal world they should explain the reasons why they got rid of the manager.

If they were bringing in an experienced man I'd understand it WBA sack Di Matteo to get Hodgson, QPR sacked Hughes to get Redknapp and City sacked Hughes for Mancini. All these decisions apart from QPR were harsh imo on the existing manager but it was an obvious improvement. The guy coming in had experience and a track record this new guy to me looks more like a Steve Kean style situation. If he doesn't make a good start I don't see the fans being patient with him and if your home crowd turn on you it's tough to play. Chelsea to an extent are having a problem playing at home under Rafa because they don't like him it's putting needless pressure on the team.

You'd hope thought that they've seen something special in this guy that makes him better qualified for the job. I hope he's not just a yes man to the owners who'll let them interfere with things on the pitch but like you say you can't really judge him until the end of the season

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton fans may be shocked by the sudden appointment of Mauricio Pochettino, but in Spain few people are surprised to see the 40-year-old Argentine back in a high-profile job.

Pochettino is highly regarded for his work at previous club Espanyol - and that respect has largely remained intact despite his departure by mutual consent from the Barcelona-based club in November and their subsequent revival under new coach Javier Aguirre.
True, Espanyol endured a terrible start to the season and Pochettino appeared unable to turn his team around, but the majority of fans stayed behind him and there was a great sense of reluctance among the club's hierarchy when they eventually made the decision to part ways.
Who is Mauricio Pochettino?

Centre-half who played for Espanyol and Paris Saint-Germain
Won 20 caps for Argentina

Fouled Michael Owen to give England penalty at 2002 World Cup
Managed Espanyol between 2009 and November 2012
Won 49 of 146 league matches at Espanyol
The consensus among supporters was that Pochettino had been placed in a no-win situation at a club saddled with enormous debts, where he was consistently forced to sell his best players and deal with seemingly endless boardroom strife.
For many fans, the final straw was the summer departure of homegrown Spain Under-21 striker Alvaro Vazquez to Getafe. When Espanyol then kicked off the new season with just one point from their opening six games, fans directed their anger firmly towards the board rather than Pochettino.

Fans preferred to respect Pochettino for the achievements earlier in his reign and during his time as a central defender for the club.
By the time he took up his first senior coaching role at Espanyol in January 2009, Pochettino was already a popular figure with supporters following two successful spells as a player for Los Pericos, amassing nearly 300 appearances and playing in Copa del Rey triumphs in 2000 and 2006.

In between times, he played in France with Paris Saint-Germain and Bordeaux in a career that saw him win 20 international caps for Argentina. Most famously, from an English perspective, he was the man who conceded a penalty as Michael Owen tumbled under his challenge at the 2002 World Cup.

If Mauricio Pochettino knew he was walking into Southampton amid a storm of protest from fans upset at the sacking of Nigel Adkins, he certainly didn't show it.

The 40-year-old was every inch the new breed of continental coach. He was suited and booted and was quick to mention that he'd spoken to his "good friend" Jose Mourinho about managing in England.

Every answer, other than a brief hello in English, was provided by an interpreter, but Pochettino said communication would be no issue with his players.

"Football is an international language," he said.

Pochettino's introduction to management was no easy task as he took over a team deep in relegation trouble, but he further strengthened his standing with supporters by inspiring his new team to a late-season turnaround that resulted in a 10th-placed finish.
Over the next couple of years, he developed a reputation as a forward-thinking and thoroughly modern coach. His teams played fast-paced football with an emphasis on pressing and ball retention, developing possession from defence, and Pochettino's methods soon attracted interest from a number of clubs around Europe.
Eventually the club's dire financial situation caught up with him. Debts forced them to sell star player after star player, including Jose Callejon to Real Madrid, Victor Ruiz to Napoli and Daniel Osvaldo to Roma, increasingly requiring Pochettino to make do with loan signings and veterans on short-term deals.

One notable aspect of Pochettino's time at Espanyol was his ability to work with young players and integrate them into the first team.
More than 20 academy graduates were introduced into senior football under him and, considering Southampton's strong track record in developing youth talent, that's surely one of the qualities that attracted them to Pochettino.
Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Luke Shaw are just some of the names to come through the ranks at Southampton in recent years.
The biggest immediate challenge for the Argentine is adapting quickly to the demands of the Premier League - an environment he has never experienced but always admired - with a team that is far from safe.

As Chelsea boss Rafael Benitez noted on Friday: "He is a good manager but it is very difficult at the beginning - you need to know the structure, the managers, the players, the referees. In England you have to adapt; it is sometimes a question of time."
An interesting sub-plot for Southampton fans is the potential summer arrival of talented Espanyol midfielder Joan Verdu, a creative playmaker widely regarded as the Catalan club's best player.

Verdu, 29, is out of contract at the end of the season and has not agreed a new deal, with the club struggling to find funds to pay him as they seek to reduce their debts.
A host of clubs across Europe are known to be keen on securing his services for nothing in June. Considering his history with Pochettino, it's fairly safe to add Southampton to that list of suitors.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton club captain Kelvin Davis says the decision to sack former boss Nigel Adkins has been justified.

Adkins was sacked despite leading the club to successive promotions.

He was replaced by Mauricio Pochettino and the Argentine has since steered the club to victories against Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea.

"The manner in which he has come in and lifted the club to a new level shows it was a decision that's been proved right," Davis told BBC Radio Solent.

Adkins's dismissal on 18 January came after a 2-2 draw with Chelsea and despite the club being three points clear of the relegation zone.

The 47-year-old is the new manager of Reading - who Saints take on this weekend - and goalkeeper Davis says he was not surprised to see him return to football so quickly.

"I'm sure he wanted to get back into football as soon as he could, most managers that move on from a club want to stay in the game," he said. "From that side of it, it doesn't surprise me.

"We achieved a lot while he was at the club in a short space of time and the club is continuing to grow without him now.

"A lot has been said about our wins against the big teams but it is about winning every game and putting yourself in a position when you are looking up the table rather than behind us."

Davis, 36, added that the arrival of Pochettino has resulted in a change of mentality and spirit at the club.

"We are in a state of mind where we can feel we can win every game at the moment and we will go there [Reading] to do that" he said.

"There's certainly been a raising in player performance. The lads have reacted positively to it [his arrival]. Mauricio and his staff have come in and communicated very well and everything they are trying to pull off the lads are soaking up and fortunately we are putting that into our performances."

What a great job he's doing I mean Southampton are now a wopping 4 points off the relegation zone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sky Sports understands Celtic have accepted a bid from Southampton for Victor Wanyama, but personal terms have not been agreed.

The Saints are hoping to pip a number of their Premier League rivals to the 21-year-old's signature, with interest in his services having mounted steadily.

They have, however, seen the highly-rated midfielder snub their first contract proposal.

Wanyama has admitted that he turned down the initial proposal from St Mary's and revealed that he is prepared to listen to offers from other sides now that Celtic have opened the exit door.

"While the bid was okay for Celtic, the terms were not right for myself and my agent," he said in the Southern Daily Echo.

"I am open to what offers are made, but I am relaxed and it's important that Celtic are happy too."

Cardiff City are reportedly ready to jump to the front of the transfer queue as they step up their search for new recruits, while Stoke City and Liverpool continue to watch events unfold.

I always thought the links to Utd were a little ridiculous but he's a decent looking prospect I imagine he's looking for a club with a bit of European ambition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gaston Ramirez's agent claims both Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid are tracking the Southampton star.

The Uruguay international joined the Premier League club in a £12million deal from Bologna last summer and netted five goals in 26 top-flight appearances.

Previously, there was speculation that Fiorentina and AC Milan were monitoring the playmaker's situation, but new potential suitors have emerged - who can offer UEFA Champions League football next term.

Agent Pablo Betancourt told South American radio station Radio Mana Sport: "[Gaston] is currently followed by Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid. At the moment, it is very difficult for him to come back to Italy."

The speculation comes as Ramirez is currently in action with Uruguay in the Confederations Cup, where they are due to take on Brazil in Wednesday's semi-final

Never really seen what all the fuss is about with this guy he's got ability in the final 3rd but maybe hasn't worked out how to use it in England.

Southampton spent a lot of money on him and I would be interested to hear what the Saints fans who watch him every week made of his performances last season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Leandro Damiao's agent claims that he is in talks with an unnamed club about a move, with reports in Brazil claiming that the team in question is Southampton.

Internacional have been insistent that they have not fielded any offers for the 23-year-old, but his agent Jorge Machado has claimed talks are ongoing with an unnamed club.

Tottenham have been long-term admirers of the striker and have made more than one offer in the past 18 months, but now reports suggest it is another Premier League club in the shape of Southampton that is pushing strongest for him.

"There is a club interested [in Leandro]," Machado told UOL.

"We have been talking with Internacional for many days, but we have to wait.

"Inter have set a value, which is very significant, so we need to have more talks."

Internacional's director of football Luis Cesar de Souto Moura reiterated the club's position.

"There is no offer for Leandro Damiao," he told Radio Guaiba.

"We understand the following as an offer: when an agent or club make an official enquiry and expresses interest in the player."

He also added that the club would want over £20million for the player.

"An offer for Leandro Damiao will only be considered if it's around €25 million," emphasised Moura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 am 
Major General
Major General

Be very interesting if Southampton are looking to throw that sort of money around. Personally I'd be very surprised if he ends up there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

They spent something like £16m on Gaston Ramirez last summer and they have some wealthy owners.

Will be interesting to see how they do next season the second season is always more difficult as teams know what you're about but it will be interesting to see how much the manager is able to change with a whole pre season with the players.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:11 am 
Major General
Major General

I don't doubt that they could afford it, I'd just be surprised if he opted to go there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next