AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saints Go Marchin' On
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Looks as if Phil Brown is about to jump back on to the managerial merrygoround. The Guardian says that the former Hull boss is 'hoping to be named as Southampton's new manager after holding talks with the chairman, Nicola Cortese'.

Typically reticent to talk up his prospects in public, Brown has, erm, gone public bigging up his prospects of getting the job by telling Talksport: "It was very interesting, there's a very, very ambitious board. A very ambitious chairman. It is an ambitious club and certainly one that does interest me."

"They seem to be doing it right in the backroom: they're building the club from within and they've got a long-term plan. It's very, very ambitious. Everything about it is ready to move on."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:51 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 15
Wonder if we will see a special half time team talk again?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese has questioned the conduct of some of the clubs chasing starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The 17-year-old winger is a hot property at the moment, with Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal all heavily linked with moves for him.

The Saints are reluctant to part with their prized asset, though, believing his development would be better served at St Mary's.

For that reason Cortese was reluctant to discuss a deal during the January transfer window, although he admits the manner in which some Premier League suitors went about their business hardly helped their cause.

"I have experienced a lot of things over the past month about the behaviour of some Premier League clubs," Cortese told the Telegraph.

"Some have really behaved very well. There has been professionalism and there has been the complete opposite as well.

"Some simply sent a fax. No communication, nothing. It gave the impression that they didn't care about the boy. Those faxes went straight into the bin.

"The others made a phone enquiry and I said I didn't want to get involved in negotiations."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was among those to publicly state his interest in Oxlade-Chamberlain and Cortese believes the Frenchman was out of order.

"It definitely did not help their cause," he said.

"We focused on what we wanted to do and not what others wanted to do. I was in the driver's seat. There was not a second I doubted that he would stay."

Southampton are now hoping that Oxlade-Chamberlain will remain on the South Coast until at least the end of the 2011/12 campaign.

"We care about the boy," said Cortese. "I believe that for Alex the best place for him to progress over the next 18 months is here."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ITALIAN giants AC Milan have joined the chase to sign Southampton boy wonder Alex Chamberlain. The Serie A side have been keeping tabs on the 17-year-old who is one of the most wanted teenagers in football.

Milan representatives took the opportunity to run the rule over Chamberlain when he made his England Under-21 debut in Italy last month. And they are poised to follow up their interest with a summer bid for the £10m-rated winger.

Arsenal appear to be at the front of the queue to sign Chamberlain, the son of former England and Portsmouth winger Mark.

Gunners boss ArseneWenger had an £8m deadline day offer for the starlet knocked back by Southampton. But the Arsenal chief is confident of bringing the youngster to The Emirates in the summer.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

FOOTIE star Dan Seaborne is fighting for his life in hospital after being battered in a vicious assault outside a nightclub.

The Southampton FC defender, 24, was found lying outside the club in a pool of blood with serious head injuries.

Paramedics treated the player at the scene before he was taken to Southampton General Hospital with life threatening injuries.

His family are keeping vigil at his bedside while vital tests and scans are being carried out.

The attack happened outside Junk nightclub, in Southampton, Hants, where it is thought he had been drinking with pals.

Trouble brewed outside the venue after an incident inside which it is thought led to police being called to the scene at around 2.51am this morning.

Detectives are now investigating the attack and have arrested two men in connection with the assault and are urging witnesses to come forward.

Yesterday morning Seaborne took part in an open training session at St Mary's stadium with his team-mates in front of fans.

He has been at Saints since January 2010, when he signed a three and a half year contract for a fee in the region of £250,000 from Exeter.

He wears the number 25 shirt and made his debut against Millwall in League One on January 16 last year.

He helped Saints gain promotion from League One to the Championship in his first season and has started 35 games for the club.

The 6ft 3in tall player had been tipped for the top due to his height and ability to adapt from centre back to left back.

He captained Exeter to promotion from the Conference two years ago.

Cordoned off ... scene of the assault

This morning a pool of blood was visible at the scene and the nightclub was sealed off by police while forensic officers examined the area.

Officers wearing blue gloves examined a side entrance to the night spot as well as an area at the back.

An estate agents next door was open but cordoned off by blue and white police tape while a community support officer stood guard outside the cordon.

Steve Perryman, director of football at his former club, Exeter City, said: "Everyone at Exeter City wishes Dan and his family, well at this time.

"He is such a lovely lad and we desperately hope he recovers as soon as he can."

This morning fans sent messages of goodwill to the player on the twitter page #getwellsoonseaborne.

Two men aged 29 and 35 have been arrested in connection with the assault.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Hope he's OK and they get the idiots who did it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Southampton have confirmed they are on the verge of bolstering their attack with the signing of Japan international Tadanari Lee.

The 26-year-old striker is training with the Championship club while an application for a work permit is reviewed.

Lee has been capped 10 times by Japan and scored a late winner in the Asia Cup Final against Australia last year.

He last played for Sanfrecce Hiroshima in the J-League 1, netting 15 goals in 32 appearances last season.

Saints have been looking to add to their strikeforce through the campaign and will be without top scorer Rickie Lambert for the next three games through suspension after he was sent off against Brighton on Monday.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Southampton matchday programme for their game against Doncaster at the weekend ran a little competition.

But we're not entirely sure they thought the headline through...

'How would you like to enter Miss Southampton?'

As personal ads go, it's a little forward for my taste.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:56 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Who would come first? :huh:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Southampton secured promotion to the Barclays Premier League with a 4-0 win over Coventry in front of a jubilant sell-out crowd at St Mary's.

After enduring a nervy start in which Coventry created chances, Southampton took control of their fate with two goals in three minutes.

Billy Sharp stuck out a toe to turn Adam Lallana's volleyed shot past Joe Murphy in the 16th minute, and moments later Jose Fonte's stooping header found the net to make it 2-0.

When Jos Hooiveld lashed in a third just before the hour mark and Lallana notched a fourth moments later, the party got under way.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

11.40: Word from SHOUTsport now, who claim that Jay Rodriguez is close to securing a £7million switch to Southamption.

The Burnley forward hit 21 goals this season and has apparently agreed terms on a four-year deal ahead of a medical.

It's a lot of money for a Champo forward, don't you think?

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:10 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Quote:
The phrase 'baptism of fire' looks to have been created for Southampton's start. Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal await in their first four games (the other being a date with Wigan).

Horrible start for them but at least 4 games in they know they've got 3 of their hardest games out of the way.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Quote:
The phrase 'baptism of fire' looks to have been created for Southampton's start. Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal await in their first four games (the other being a date with Wigan).

Horrible start for them but at least 4 games in they know they've got 3 of their hardest games out of the way.

i think that's ideal for them because

a) At least one of the big guns usually misfires at the start
b) You will have the novelty effect see Norwich, Blackpool
c) You will play them and (at worst) only be 4pts behind someone

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:43 pm 
Major General
Major General

Adkins sacked and replaced with Mauricio Pochettino

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unbelievable.

I hope they fall apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:08 pm 
Major General
Major General

Shocking decision, the guy got them back to back promotions and they're not on a bad run in the league. The fact that his replacement was already there to come in means they've been planning it for a while too.

Harkens back to the Southampton of old under Rupert Lowe, when managers would be sacked on a whim.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yep, I find it bad enough when a manager gets a relatively poor team promoted and spends 6 months at the bottom of the supposed best league in the world then gets sacked (ala Billy Davies with Derby)..never mind having got back to back promotions and being outside the bottom 3! Just got a draw with Chelesa as well ffs.

It's just unreal. People will want them to fail now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm 
Major General
Major General

I agree, they'll lose a lot of good will amongst fans of other clubs / neutrals for sacking a guy who was doing a pretty good job, and who always came across as a really nice bloke.

Adkins should have little problem getting another job, and hopefully can find a club that will treat him the right way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ridiculous indeed taken them from league one to the premier league without spending huge sums (they've been well backed through the leagues and spent big in the summer).

I hope he got a massive pay off and he should find work easily after the great job he's done.

I know the owners have got money and it sounds to me that they want a manager who could possibly attract bigger names either through his own reputation or his agent contacts. Are they hoping this new guy can bring some players with him in this transfer window?

Based on the performance of the team this season I don't see how you can sack a manager who's taken 4 points from the last 2 games winning at Villa and coming back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Chelsea.

Now there is an argument to say that if you want to change the manager you shouldn't wait for the results to turn before doing it you make the call once you've made the decision if you wait an extra 2 or 3 games to sack him you obviously aren't 100% sure you want to do it.

Pochettino has no real experience he's been a manger for 3 or 4 seasons he got sacked by Espanyol recently as well so it just doesn't make sense.

One of the problems with foreign owners is they often get involved in clubs through the work of agents who have got them into a club they trust these guys and once the agent has a link to the owner he can start to influence policy and get his clients into the club.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
New Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino says he has been researching the team for weeks.

The 40-year-old was brought in to replace Nigel Adkins on Friday in a surprise move by the Saints.

Speaking through an interpreter, Pochettino said: "I know about the squad because I've been researching them for several weeks.

"It's not important when I was approached about the job, I'm just very excited to be here."

"They have done really well in the Premiership. In Spain we follow it closely. I am a great admirer of English football and am happy to be here."

Pochettino, who has 20 caps for Argentina as a player, said he had consulted Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho about moving to England.

He said: "I have seen many games, the Premier League is an attractive league and I have spoken to people at length about it, people such as Jose Mourinho, who is a good friend of mine.

"He told me the best football in the world is being played here."

The former Espanyol manager spoke largely through an interpreter, but did say in English: "I am very happy to be here in this amazing weather. It happened quickly, small details are not important, it's important I'm here at this project and club."

Reverting to Spanish he accepted that he may experience a backlash from the fans after the decision to replace Adkins with the club three points clear of the Premier League relegation zone and on a run of only two defeats in their last 12 league matches.

He said: "The challenge is to be part of this project, the kindness of the supporters is the biggest challenge I have."

"They are the biggest part of this club and I hope I can convince them with honesty and hard work."

Looks to me like this guy was lined up for the job weeks ago.

Now the fact he's speaking through an interpreter shows they've made a mistake a manager needs to be able to speak the language before he takes a job as he will need to make sure that players understand what he's telling them to do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next